Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I hope the final fantasy 7 remake has an ultra obscure way to revive Aeris that sounds like the bullshit rumors that people made for the original.

I genuinely argue that, to keep the shock and surprise of the twist intact for the remake, they should let Aerith live and have Cloud die instead. The reason Aerith's death stuck was because we didn't expect her to die (her cast role's one of those 'safe' ones, the puregood nice lady mage; the same type of character as Rosa in IV and Terra in VI), so the only way to retain it would be to kill someone else just as metatextually-invincible.

For bonus points, then the protagonist role would go to either Barrett or Tifa, and you know nerds would throw a loving fit over having to play as either a black guy or a woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Or go full fanservice and make Cid %#$@!#%@ing Highwind the new de facto lead.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Have aeris kill sephiroth and the rest of the game is really chill

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Quidthulhu posted:

Someone should do a writeup on trying to revive Schala in Chrono Trigger because the internet wasn't around as much when it was out by my friends and I spent hella days searching every corner of that game.

iirc one of the endings has Magus going back in time to prevent her death.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Kavak posted:

The game ends abruptly during the second disc, as Cid redirects the party to fulfilling their true goal and destiny: dying in space.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
It was probably mentioned at some point in the thread, but it is apparently possible to prevent her from dying by swapping CDs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPf6xttVsFU

Basically getting on a chocobo and swapping the FF7 disc with Saga Frontier keeps the world map stable enough that you can walk to the city of ancients from the chocobo farm and then go through the events there without ever hitting the trigger to remove Aeris from the party to begin with.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Kavak posted:

would play an ff featuring all the Cids

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Dr. Dos posted:

Basically getting on a chocobo and swapping the FF7 disc with Saga Frontier keeps the world map stable enough that you can walk to the city of ancients from the chocobo farm and then go through the events there without ever hitting the trigger to remove Aeris from the party to begin with.

That's loving great.
It's like those Mario 64 videos where the guy finds ways to get coins hidden in the level geometry, except people have been cracking at this problem literally since the game came out, and somebody finally actually did it (assuming it's possible during normal play)

I mean obviously since she was meant to die the game wouldn't be designed to have her being alive make any sense or have any bearing on the plot, but that was pretty much the case with Candy Corn Cid in Final Fantasy 6, and that was a designed part of the game.
Due caveat: Cid doesn't appear as a plot-critical ghost to save the world, but it was a narratively nonsensical design decision implemented just in case the player hates when stories make them feel something (which I did and still do tyvm)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Light Gun Man posted:

Has anyone ever gotten into crazytown about how to save Nei in Phantasy Star 2?
I think not, because IIRC, it is possible to do if you either break the sequence of events so you can get to a cloning store at the right time, or use a revive item that's extremely hard to obtain before the fight, but the plot just doesn't notice she's alive.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Light Gun Man posted:

Not really. The PS2 remake adds an official way, but you need save data from the Phantasy Star 1 remake, need to be on a new game+ and I think there was some other escoteric thing you had to do. And then the plot doesn't really change at all.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Light Gun Man posted:

I can't believe I just got spoiled on a 20 year game

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Tardcore posted:

I can't believe I just got spoiled on a 20 year game
hahaha

I wasn't spoiled, but only because EGM had Phantasy Star II in their best games of their time issue about 15 years ago, and for some reason spoiling that was part of their summary for its inclusion? Kind of an odd choice for a list specifically tailored to include classic games most of the readers hadn't heard of. "That's right, years before Final Fantasy 7 did it! Readers might also enjoy when they find out James killed his wife Mary in Silent Hill 2"

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I mean shes a numan anyway they have shorter lifespans. She was like 6 months old or something weird like that when they first meet and already is an anime teenager.
But yeah sorry for spoiling the second most famous? JRPG party death.

I'll never spoil anything that happens in cosmic fantasy 2 though. Now that's a game with some twists.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Considering that Remake Barret is modeled after Blade instead of Mr. T obviously the big twist is that he kills Vincent.

"Some mother&^#$# are always trying to skate up that &^#$# pizza!"

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Guy Mann posted:

Considering that Remake Barret is modeled after Blade instead of Mr. T obviously the big twist is that he kills Vincent.

"Some mother&^#$# are always trying to skate up that &^#$# pizza!"

Proof that someone needs to fly a loving jet into Squeenix's head office.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Looking at it, new Barret might actually be modeled after Quinton "Rampage" Jackson's version of B.A. Baracus from the A-Team remake, which would be kind of clever, in like an affectedly literalistic way.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Re: FF7, the guy that are sick

His "importance" is that he has a number tattoo, revealing him to be one of the failed Shinra experiment Sephiroth clones. I believe that the NPC notes that he just leaves one day (because Sephiroth summons all the number tattoo people, at some point). It's a neat little detail.

Re: Aerith

Aerith has post-death dialogue, such as right after the snowboard mini-game, implying that she was supposed to be around for a while, even though it was just probably a result of moving events around in development.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
So the aforementioned eye symbols that have been showing up in various indie games?

It's Frog Fractions 2.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

What the hell is Frog Fractions 2?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Capsaicin posted:

So the aforementioned eye symbols that have been showing up in various indie games?

It's Frog Fractions 2.
The eye symbols themselves? Has the guy confirmed it?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/those-mysterious-symbols-hidden-in-24-games-have-crossed-over-with-frog-fractions-2 is the gist of it.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Capsaicin posted:

It's Frog Fractions 2.

yessss

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Raxivace posted:

What the hell is Frog Fractions 2?

The sequel to http://twinbeard.com/frog-fractions/

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Oh good, another funny joke that nerds are running into the ground!

Cubone
May 26, 2011

If you don't think the Frog Fractions 2 ARG is funny, I fervently disagree but would like to stress that your feelings are valid.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
Wow catching up with three years of this thread had been absolutely surreal.

But yeah it's not too surprising to see it was Frog Fractions 2 especially after all the support from a lot of the devs in question, it kinda all adds up in the end. (Although, it's still quite surreal that one of the first clues was found in such an old flash game)

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Dr. Dos posted:

It was probably mentioned at some point in the thread, but it is apparently possible to prevent her from dying by swapping CDs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPf6xttVsFU

I love how 99% of all game rumors has come true thanks to the forbidden and nightmare power of just glitching the game so goddamn hard the timeline shatters and allows whatever improbable event you can force

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Ars Technica had an article about an unsolved mystery in GTA5. Fun read, and has some links to other hidden things within the game.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

ColdPie posted:

Ars Technica had an article about an unsolved mystery in GTA5. Fun read, and has some links to other hidden things within the game.

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011

Quidthulhu posted:

Someone should do a writeup on trying to revive Schala in Chrono Trigger because the internet wasn't around as much when it was out by my friends and I spent hella days searching every corner of that game.
Right, so.

Chrono Trigger is a game with a pretty specific progression setup; it's a linear story (although you can more or less freely explore places you've been) up until its climax, with very little opportunity to wander off and do sidequests until just before the final boss battle, at which point the entire world was your oyster and opened up about a dozen fairly involved sidequests you could involve yourself in for preparation to the final battle. Since some of these are a little esoteric, the NPC Gaspar at the End of Time would provide you with obtuse hints about what was available to you.

When you had effectively cleared the map (which, as a kid without a guide, you couldn't really be certain about), talking to Gaspar would yield the message "Somebody close to you is in need. Find this person, and fast!" (or something quite similar).

Logically speaking, you have addressed every character in your party (with the exception of cavegirl Ayla, who has nobody close to her that is in need), but even doing so there is one outstanding hanging thread in the game; the character of Schala. Schala is an NPC introduced for not very long in the game, but she's a pivotal and tragic character, and her connection to one of your party members (well, potential party members), lesser antagonist/resident badass/Vegeta stand-in Magus was too profound to ignore; she's his long-lost sister, and his entire character motivation, up to and including breaking the space-time continuum, was all in the service of saving her from a mysterious and terrible fate.

(That fate, as revealed in Chrono Cross, was to be subsumed by a planet-devouring extraterrestrial parasite which was annihilated from the timestream so hard it collapsed into a time-devouring eldritch monstrosity powered by her own festering hatred and negativity. Worse, she had to be in Chrono Cross.)

Schala is basically sucked into a temporal wormhole in context of Chrono Trigger, and never appears again. This is a pretty massive dangling thread, and (unlike some other interesting threads presented to the player) is shoved in your face over the natural course of the game. Come the end of the sidequest run, when you're given instructions to 'find this person', Schala is a fairly clear choice for somebody close to one of your party members, who is in need, and requires help fast.

But scour the world all you want. Flip between time streams, talk to every NPC, do every sidequest, and you'll never find Schala.

This is because she was never meant to be found. There is no sidequest for finding Schala. There never was. Interestingly, it was only after the game received Western releases that the Search for Schala even commenced, and there's a reason for that: the line given by Gaspar is a massive mistranslation.

The original Japanese line was something to the effect of 'talk to your party members and see what's up', which would direct you to speak to your off-hand party at the End of Time and they could give you hints to their own outstanding personal quests, if there were any left. Gaspar was just supposed to give you hints to the other sidequests, after which he had nothing left to say. Instead, the lone game translator, Ted Woolsey, took this opportunity (as he did for the entire game) to give this line more personality at expense of context sensibility. Although it does kind of make sense; taken on its own, as a line in a massive script being loaded into the game, it's fairly innocuous. But spoken at the end of the other sidequest lines, with this gaping plot line left unanswered, and with the Internet being fairly fledgling at this point, it's no surprise that this generated massive investigation (so to speak) into what this mysterious line actually meant.

It wouldn't be for years after the original release of the game that people would truly start communicating across the ocean and realize that this line was actually completely wrong.

As for the search itself, it actually didn't generate much but intrigue and possibility. There were no falsified methods or codes to find her or bring her back or prevent her disappearance; there was simply an effort, as much collusion as was possible back then, trying to find a way -- any way, not even necessarily finding Schala -- to clear this message from Gaspar's dialogue queue. Which is actually kind of interesting; some of the things you did for the sidequests were actually kind of esoteric themselves (getting one of the Triple Tech stones involved putting Frog at the head of your party and standing at a particular place on Mount Denadoro while an enemy throws rocks at you, which is neither suggested nor possible at any other point in the game), it seems like this would have been ripe for people to just throw crazy ideas out there and see who bit.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Watched Westworld a few days ago, and I was indeed constantly reminded of the Chiliad Mystery and SotC's last big secret by that plotline.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

NonsenseWords posted:

Right, so.

Chrono Trigger is a game with a pretty specific progression setup; it's a linear story (although you can more or less freely explore places you've been) up until its climax, with very little opportunity to wander off and do sidequests until just before the final boss battle, at which point the entire world was your oyster and opened up about a dozen fairly involved sidequests you could involve yourself in for preparation to the final battle. Since some of these are a little esoteric, the NPC Gaspar at the End of Time would provide you with obtuse hints about what was available to you.

When you had effectively cleared the map (which, as a kid without a guide, you couldn't really be certain about), talking to Gaspar would yield the message "Somebody close to you is in need. Find this person, and fast!" (or something quite similar).

Logically speaking, you have addressed every character in your party (with the exception of cavegirl Ayla, who has nobody close to her that is in need), but even doing so there is one outstanding hanging thread in the game; the character of Schala. Schala is an NPC introduced for not very long in the game, but she's a pivotal and tragic character, and her connection to one of your party members (well, potential party members), lesser antagonist/resident badass/Vegeta stand-in Magus was too profound to ignore; she's his long-lost sister, and his entire character motivation, up to and including breaking the space-time continuum, was all in the service of saving her from a mysterious and terrible fate.

(That fate, as revealed in Chrono Cross, was to be subsumed by a planet-devouring extraterrestrial parasite which was annihilated from the timestream so hard it collapsed into a time-devouring eldritch monstrosity powered by her own festering hatred and negativity. Worse, she had to be in Chrono Cross.)

Schala is basically sucked into a temporal wormhole in context of Chrono Trigger, and never appears again. This is a pretty massive dangling thread, and (unlike some other interesting threads presented to the player) is shoved in your face over the natural course of the game. Come the end of the sidequest run, when you're given instructions to 'find this person', Schala is a fairly clear choice for somebody close to one of your party members, who is in need, and requires help fast.

But scour the world all you want. Flip between time streams, talk to every NPC, do every sidequest, and you'll never find Schala.

This is because she was never meant to be found. There is no sidequest for finding Schala. There never was. Interestingly, it was only after the game received Western releases that the Search for Schala even commenced, and there's a reason for that: the line given by Gaspar is a massive mistranslation.

The original Japanese line was something to the effect of 'talk to your party members and see what's up', which would direct you to speak to your off-hand party at the End of Time and they could give you hints to their own outstanding personal quests, if there were any left. Gaspar was just supposed to give you hints to the other sidequests, after which he had nothing left to say. Instead, the lone game translator, Ted Woolsey, took this opportunity (as he did for the entire game) to give this line more personality at expense of context sensibility. Although it does kind of make sense; taken on its own, as a line in a massive script being loaded into the game, it's fairly innocuous. But spoken at the end of the other sidequest lines, with this gaping plot line left unanswered, and with the Internet being fairly fledgling at this point, it's no surprise that this generated massive investigation (so to speak) into what this mysterious line actually meant.

It wouldn't be for years after the original release of the game that people would truly start communicating across the ocean and realize that this line was actually completely wrong.

As for the search itself, it actually didn't generate much but intrigue and possibility. There were no falsified methods or codes to find her or bring her back or prevent her disappearance; there was simply an effort, as much collusion as was possible back then, trying to find a way -- any way, not even necessarily finding Schala -- to clear this message from Gaspar's dialogue queue. Which is actually kind of interesting; some of the things you did for the sidequests were actually kind of esoteric themselves (getting one of the Triple Tech stones involved putting Frog at the head of your party and standing at a particular place on Mount Denadoro while an enemy throws rocks at you, which is neither suggested nor possible at any other point in the game), it seems like this would have been ripe for people to just throw crazy ideas out there and see who bit.

I never knew any of this!! There is a small chapter of my childhood that is closed now. Thank you!

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

NonsenseWords posted:

stuff about Schala

It's been a while since I've played it, but I believe you can actually get him to say something different. If you go through the Black Omen, and defeat the Queen and the first form of Lavos, there is a Gate that you can use to return to the End of Time. If you talk to Gaspar at that point, he'll say something to the effect of "All that's left to do is defeat Lavos. Good luck!" The speculation I heard was that the "person you need to find" was not Schala, but actually Magus's mother, the Queen, and you've just saved her from her life of insane immortality.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Super Dan posted:

It's been a while since I've played it, but I believe you can actually get him to say something different. If you go through the Black Omen, and defeat the Queen and the first form of Lavos, there is a Gate that you can use to return to the End of Time. If you talk to Gaspar at that point, he'll say something to the effect of "All that's left to do is defeat Lavos. Good luck!" The speculation I heard was that the "person you need to find" was not Schala, but actually Magus's mother, the Queen, and you've just saved her from her life of insane immortality.

This is my recollection too. Thank you for verifying it, I was about to go crazy.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Super Dan posted:

The speculation I heard was that the "person you need to find" was not Schala, but actually Magus's mother, the Queen, and you've just saved her from her life of insane immortality.
Reading about this now, I remember thinking it referred to Lucca's mom. Did the timing of everything mean it couldn't have been? Or did the dialogue persist even after you did that sidequest?

It's been ages, and honestly, I'm not sure I ever played much of the English version. I looked up the Japanese lines for these subquests--there are seven--and none of them are even vaguely like this or could possibly refer to Schala or Lucca's mom (Lucca has her own, different sidequest). Maybe Ted thought he was helping by shoehorning in a (very oblique) mention of the Lucca's mom thing. :shrug:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I give ol' Ted a fair bit of credit. Probably wanted to put some oomph into it. Is he still alive? I'd like to read a book about his experiences.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

Bogart posted:

I give ol' Ted a fair bit of credit. Probably wanted to put some oomph into it. Is he still alive? I'd like to read a book about his experiences.

He's still alive; according to Wikipedia he's working for the company that released State of Decay and he's done a ton of work for Microsoft, but not in translation.

Here's a transcription of a great interview with him.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I played through Marlow Briggs the other day and was surprised to see Ted in the credits.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Light Gun Man posted:

I played through Marlow Briggs the other day and was surprised to see Ted in the credits.

I guess that explains the dialogue in that game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Bogart posted:

I think Woolsey's a lot better than he's often given credit for. It's not a huge surprise that a lot of people on the internet don't like him (esp. given that the kinds of people who have localization discussions tend to be the same ones who think that NOA Treehouse is unambiguously terrible), but I think there's no question that he's a huge part of why FF6, Chrono Trigger, etc. are so well remembered in the west.