Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Corridor posted:

And I already paid 99c like a sucker :argh:

Me too. Just look at it as supporting the developers :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Corridor posted:

And I already paid 99c like a sucker :argh:

I feel like I've gotten way more than $0.99 of entertainment out of it. I dumped as many points into dodge as possible just on the off chance that I get completely stuck and have to take a hit, but otherwise I think power is the way to go.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm having a lot of fun with Scurvy Scallywags, but as someone that doesn't usually play match-3 games, I'm getting my rear end kicked....

I never have enough swords to kill all the enemies and my ways of defending (running away, shooting them, creating more swords from gold) never recharge quickly enough....

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

The Hebug posted:

I feel like I've gotten way more than $0.99 of entertainment out of it. I dumped as many points into dodge as possible just on the off chance that I get completely stuck and have to take a hit, but otherwise I think power is the way to go.

At level 10 you get the ability to pay 4k or so to redistribute all your stats, which i will probably do

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wow the final boss in Kingdom Rush: Frontiers is just bullshit mechanics personified. How the gently caress do you beat that?

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Wow the final boss in Kingdom Rush: Frontiers is just bullshit mechanics personified. How the gently caress do you beat that?

The way I finally did it was to fill all empty slots with lvl 1 towers, then get lucky when the boss appears. I've completed everything on veteran difficulty except for that final level, where I can't manage Heroic and Iron even on normal difficulty.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!
Goon the chaos engine and I once made a game called Irrupt, it's kind of like a runner but also it's not?? Goons seemed to like it a lot when it first got released last year, and we just made it Free until the end of the month. People seem to really dig it (including a cool Touch Arcade video), so give it a try and let us know!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id563386824

(we're the dudes that made the first commercial game with Futile if that helps you remember)

e: there no iap or anything like that so don't worry, we're not making money off this, we just love watching those charts go up

ambushsabre fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 15, 2013

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Anyone got a recommendation for a long airplane flight? Preferably an adventure game, something with a story, or rpg? I've already played through FF2/3/T on the PS so as good as it is I don't have any motivation for it. Is GTA VC enjoyable (controls don't suck) on the iphone 5?

Also is there an ios game recommendation thread out there?

edit: my bad Waldorf, forgot to mention I've played all the AA and Ghost trick

The Biggest Jerk fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 16, 2013

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Ace Attorney. It even has a demo of the first two (shortest) chapters, so try it out now before you pay. It's a visual novel/adventure gameish/puzzleish thing about lawyering up. Bear in mind that the first two chapters are short and criminally easy but if they grab you at all the other 12 or 13 (I forget) chapters are totally worth getting.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Anyone got a recommendation for a long airplane flight? Preferably an adventure game, something with a story, or rpg? I've already played through FF2/3/T on the PS so as good as it is I don't have any motivation for it. Is GTA VC enjoyable (controls don't suck) on the iphone 5?

Have you played The Walking Dead? Admittedly it's more of a visual novel than an adventure game but it has a fantastic story that takes around 2 hours per episode. With 5 episodes the whole game clocks in at around 9 hours. IIRC, the first episode is free so try it out for yourself.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
The Biggest Jerk, have you played the Telltale games? The Walking Dead is the first one I'd reccomend, but there are also ports of their Monkey Island games (the remakes of the original 2 and the new ones), their Sam & Max games, and so on.

Edit: shoot, beaten. ambushsabre, your game is cool -- who did the music? The scrolling in the background is a nice touch and does a lot to make the very simple graphics work well.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Final Fantasy Dimensions is also worth checking out if you like older Final Fantasy.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

goferchan posted:

Edit: shoot, beaten. ambushsabre, your game is cool -- who did the music? The scrolling in the background is a nice touch and does a lot to make the very simple graphics work well.

my partner in crime, fellow goon the chaos engine did the music

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

The Biggest Jerk posted:

The Quest. It's a hella old school game like Daggerfall. Get the lite version as its content will last you a while and by the end you'll know whether or not it's your kind of game and worth buying the full version.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Bummey posted:

The Quest.

I wholeheartedly second Bummey's recommendation.

Onto psudoreviews and game chat.

I purchased Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land a while ago and just got around to playing it a bit. It is a turn based strategy game set in WWI trench warfare where Jerry cultists and shoggoths show up apparently. I haven't met the shoggoths, or any other mythos creatures for that matter. I've just been mowing down poor German soldiers and less sympathetic stormtroopers with a couple of Enfields and occasionally calling in an artillery strike by carrier pigeon for variety. I should also note the graphics are 3D and environmental hazards like gas are a thing (which can be mitigated by the appropriate gear and skills).

The game is moderately fun, but I can't help feeling that for the strategy genre, Warhammer Quest just does it better even if Warhammer Quest has top down 2D graphics.

In regards to Sword & Glory anyone have a problem with the game crashing, usually after character creation, after the last patch?

In Warhammer Quest, I sprung for the three IAP characters but I don't see any of them as being able to fill the boots of the Marauder or Grey Wizard. Maybe I've just been lucky with levels and gear but my level 6 Marauder has 50 wounds and I could get another 8 if I wanted to swap out a ring. Also, with the skills Battle Blades, Battle Rage and Hunter's Eye he has a new nickname: Roomclearer. If I'm lucky enough to get Battle Blades to trigger when I walk into an encounter room, my melee attacks are doubled to six. With Hunter's Eye, I can make as many ranged attacks as I have melee attacks. So that's six melee and six ranged in one round.

With Battle Rage I can get an additional melee attack per battle level which at best can lift me to 12 melee attacks. However you can't use Battle Rage in one round then try to use Hunter's Eye as far as I can tell. In that case Hunter's Eye will just give you one ranged attack and the skill will be exhausted for the rest of the dungeon.

As far as I can tell, none of the IAP characters have the healing power of the Grey Wizard. And if you find the Chalice of Battle (+3 strength, +1 melee and ranged attacks; once per dungeon), armed with the twilight teleport ability, the Wizard becomes that much more of a battle ninja.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

By the time he rolls around you should have almost every slot filled with a high level tower. Try to get as many towers built up into their specializations as possible, give a few key towers level 1 of a special ability or special abilities, then build out more towers into every slot. Once you've done that start buffing special abilities to max. If you're like me and you build tower layouts with an eye towards using crossbow tower to max range boost everything, even when the jerkbag locks out a row of towers the rest will still be able to range on him.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
How does power work in scurvy scallywags? Does it just affect how many swords you lose when you fight an enemy?

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Final Fantasy Tactics chat: Are the animations hosed up for everyone else or just me? I have an iPad 4. All of the spells, attacks, movements, and pretty much everything else go at least twice as fast as they're supposed to. This is like the equal and opposite problem that the PSP War of the Lions had where everything was slowed down to half speed. God loving drat it this is 2013 already, how hard can it be to port a 16 year old game?

Ugh screw this, I'm going back to the pixel-perfect ROM emulation of the original PSX game on the PSP. I can't stand the pretentious overworked dialogue and completely unnecessary changes they made anyway (why the hell can't I steal Elmdor's stuff anymore?!) The bonus characters are the only good thing about the "re-make", and I pray to god that someone just hacks them into the original and leaves everything else untouched.

Agricola for iOS chat: Holy poo poo this is a great translation of the board game. I've only run into one minor bug so far (couldn't slaughter an animal in the Breeding phase to make room for a newborn. Solution: remember to slaughter during the Feeding phase if you know you won't have room) but aside from that, it looks amazing and the controls are great. Anyone else have it and want to friend me? My Playdek name is belross.

sizuka2
Mar 19, 2012
Lurking. Always lurking.

clams posted:

Finally defeated the foreign champion in Sword and Glory (kind of). Was doing well on the platform with well timed Shield Bashes but I did get knocked off. Its either bugged with this update or I got lucky because I didn't die and was able to kill him on the ground. Made it to level 13 on the same playthrough after boosting to 4 and using all the +glory gear and perks. Was a little disappointed to find there's basically three or four quests that it flips through until you finally die. Still cannot figure out how to get into the inner circle of the Eagle council.

RIP Morningthaw the Legendary Trader and your 174k Glory

edit: also unlocked "Bracelet of Light" which gives +4 dominance vs Darkness. prolly got that from doing the Some Awful Thing quest.

Seriously impressive. Will have to try and play around with it again when things are calmer.

Did you try having the Noble Eagle bloodline trait-line? Basically a waste, but I could certainly see these guys having that council only open to a trait somewhere on that line... the level 13 one, if they're feeling trollish.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Nobody else has mentioned it but King of Dragon Pass is my go to flight game always.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

xiw posted:

How does power work in scurvy scallywags? Does it just affect how many swords you lose when you fight an enemy?

I think it's to do with how many you get from each match. Maybe.

I find Dodge also useful to shove points in. It means that if you ever get stuck in a fight you can't avoid against a higher level enemy, you will sometimes not lose any hearts. :woop: That's happened to me a few times now.

I like this game but it could really do with some more polish. There are a few bugs and weird issues here and there. The difficulty spike when you enter the snow area is made a lot harder by the fact that you get no freaking junk items. Every other location, you can go into your junk bag and sell off all the coconuts and parrots and grog bottles and poo poo you've accumulated through matching, and get some much-needed extra gold. The snow islands have absolutely NO junk items at all. I ended up having to buy IAP gold just to give myself the necessary edge and buy some drat skills. Which I don't mind too much because I figure I owe Ron Gilbert way more for the many hours of enjoyment Monkey Island gave me as a little kid. But still, sucks. The area afterward goes right back to giving you sellable junk, so it's definitely a bug.

I do like the Gilbert and Sullivan reference :iamafag:

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Anony Mouse posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics chat: Are the animations hosed up for everyone else or just me? I have an iPad 4. All of the spells, attacks, movements, and pretty much everything else go at least twice as fast as they're supposed to. This is like the equal and opposite problem that the PSP War of the Lions had where everything was slowed down to half speed. God loving drat it this is 2013 already, how hard can it be to port a 16 year old game?

Yeah I noticed this too, but if I had to choose, having animations that play way too fast make the really long battles play out quicker at least :v:

And I'm happy to put up with it because being able to freely rotate the camera a full 360 degrees is like a gift from the Lord

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

xiw posted:

I've never been able to figure out how many swords I lose when fighting an enemy. I feel like it must be something simple but it's just beyond me somehow.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The Biggest Jerk posted:

I am shocked and alarmed that nobody else has yet mentioned Bastion or Sword & Sworcery. Both beautiful games.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Bummey posted:

The Quest. It's a hella old school game like Daggerfall. Get the lite version as its content will last you a while and by the end you'll know whether or not it's your kind of game and worth buying the full version.

I finally got around to snagging the lite version and it's been removed from the App Store. :sigh: They have one of the expansions for free, but it says right in the app description to get The Quest Lite first rather than just jumping into the expansion. Annoying.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Helical Nightmares posted:

I wholeheartedly second Bummey's recommendation.

Onto psudoreviews and game chat.

I purchased Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land a while ago and just got around to playing it a bit. It is a turn based strategy game set in WWI trench warfare where Jerry cultists and shoggoths show up apparently. I haven't met the shoggoths, or any other mythos creatures for that matter. I've just been mowing down poor German soldiers and less sympathetic stormtroopers with a couple of Enfields and occasionally calling in an artillery strike by carrier pigeon for variety. I should also note the graphics are 3D and environmental hazards like gas are a thing (which can be mitigated by the appropriate gear and skills).

I tried to love this game but i hit a level that I could not beat and gave up.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Anony Mouse posted:

The 'fix' was pretty ham-fisted but I prefer it over things taking twice as long as they're supposed to.

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski

Psion posted:

By the time he rolls around you should have almost every slot filled with a high level tower. Try to get as many towers built up into their specializations as possible, give a few key towers level 1 of a special ability or special abilities, then build out more towers into every slot. Once you've done that start buffing special abilities to max. If you're like me and you build tower layouts with an eye towards using crossbow tower to max range boost everything, even when the jerkbag locks out a row of towers the rest will still be able to range on him.

I did the level 1 tower in every slot thing and generally tried to save up as much money as possible for rebuilding after his stupid gimmick. Still hate invisible enemies more than the boss :shobon:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Anony Mouse posted:

Agricola for iOS chat: Holy poo poo this is a great translation of the board game. I've only run into one minor bug so far (couldn't slaughter an animal in the Breeding phase to make room for a newborn. Solution: remember to slaughter during the Feeding phase if you know you won't have room) but aside from that, it looks amazing and the controls are great. Anyone else have it and want to friend me? My Playdek name is belross.

That's not a bug, that's how the actual game plays. A lot of people miss this rule but you can't slaughter a newborn.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
So Solstice Arena seems to be a pretty legit MOBA on iOS. Developed by Zynga, I know I know. But it seems to follow the League of Legends model pretty closely. Micro transactions are only for new heroes and cosmetic upgrades.

There are only a handful of heroes now, and an assortment of them are available for free at the moment. I think the selection of free heroes will rotate eventually.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Sock The Great posted:

So Solstice Arena seems to be a pretty legit MOBA on iOS. Developed by Zynga, I know I know. But it seems to follow the League of Legends model pretty closely. Micro transactions are only for new heroes and cosmetic upgrades.

There are only a handful of heroes now, and an assortment of them are available for free at the moment. I think the selection of free heroes will rotate eventually.

It's a good game.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

The Hebug posted:

I've never been able to figure out how many swords I lose when fighting an enemy. I feel like it must be something simple but it's just beyond me somehow.
I think it's just your swords - their swords, with a minimum of your current level. Could be wrong, though. I've only played maybe a half hour.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

It's a good game.

Theres bo such thing thats a good game and a dota-like. Contradiction and terms.

Also bastion and swords and whatever the gently caress are both incredibly overwrought pretentious games. Bastion is from a point d view of smashing poo poo but hoboy does that narration get loving tiring.

I love how mad the dialog in WOTL makes people. It all just reeks of "UGH! I got tired of this in highschool, why have you abandoned me so video games!?!?!?"

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

SpookyLizard posted:

Also bastion and swords and whatever the gently caress are both incredibly overwrought pretentious games. Bastion is from a point d view of smashing poo poo but hoboy does that narration get loving tiring.

I agree about S&S but Bastion is fantastic and the narration is second only to the soundtrack.

Moop Moop
Aug 26, 2006

Bummey posted:

There's not an ipad version of this is there?

clams
Apr 10, 2007

rawr.

sizuka2 posted:

Did you try having the Noble Eagle bloodline trait-line? Basically a waste, but I could certainly see these guys having that council only open to a trait somewhere on that line... the level 13 one, if they're feeling trollish.

I had all the Noble Eagle bloodline traits except for the one that gives +6 defense against clanless(?). Possibly you have to have all of those traits to get into the council, I'll try that next time. I don't remember if I got a level 13 Eagle trait, do you remember what it is?

Curious why you think that traitline is a waste. Most of them are +dominance which I find to be the most useful combat stat. I have a much easier time getting over the level 7-8 hump with Eagle clan than anyone else. Around 2/3-3/4 of the enemies you fight tend to be either clanless or one of the other major clans and the bonuses are high enough that I don't think their conditionality is enough of a reason to pass on them.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Lorini posted:

That's not a bug, that's how the actual game plays. A lot of people miss this rule but you can't slaughter a newborn.
I knew someone would point this out, haha. I know the rules - I had 5 cattle and wasn't trying to slaughter a newborn or parent. But, I did a little digging and while I can't find any official rules from Z-Man that say you can't slaughter any animals during Feeding, I have found some unofficial guides that do imply so. I guess the rules of the iOS game set an official precedent for the latter, but I still maintain that one should still be able to slaughter animals during Breeding as long as they aren't newborns or parents.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/332022/common-mistakes-while-playing-agricola-a-summary

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Right, but where in the official rules does it say that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
Dear Lorini and also thread at large, is there a master list of iOS versions of actual boardgames somewhere? I buy corporeal versions, but I must begin to prepare my Ark (need access to Agricola when I transcend my physical form by entering the spirit world / recreating my self as a being of pure energy) and, also, because I effectively don't want to buy Dominant Species twice again.

• Locked thread