Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There are more than 2 more enemies and every map has been redone plus new maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

steam posted:

New Enemy Threats: Adopt new tactics to counter the threats from two new alien types.
The guys making the thing are saying 2 new enemies.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

DatonKallandor posted:

Where did they say exactly two new enemies?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

DatonKallandor posted:

That says two new aliens, not two new enemies :ssh:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

DatonKallandor posted:

30$ (30€ because gently caress you europe I guess) was the price for an expansion back when an expansion meant a new campaign at the very least. Not 1 extra class, 2 extra enemies and 10 more skills.

And a crap ton new maps, a bunch of new weapons, armor, and genetic enhancements, the language switch, the whole Y-Com subplot, almost certainly more new enemies they haven't been allowed to talk about yet, plus the way Meld changes your tactical thinking.

Hey, it may not be worth it to you. :shrug: To each their own. But for me, it's basically a whole new experience, and I'm looking forward to buying it even at $30.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - Scroll up to my last post or two and you can get it for $20 instead of $30.

Veotax posted:

That says two new aliens, not two new enemies :ssh:

In the XCOM universe, one could safely infer.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DatonKallandor posted:

Maybe there will be 2 completely new alien types (secto-mech and the cloaking squid thing), plus some new variants of old enemies? They're also clearly keeping some surprises back still.

I'm ok with just 2 though. I think even though EU doesn't have a huge number of distinct enemies, they're all different enough to cover most of the bases and be distinct. In the base game the only big omission was the scary stealth bastard, now they're checking that box.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Drifter posted:

In the XCOM universe, one could safely infer.

According to the Enemy Within achievements... you can't safely infer, actually.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
It looks like there will be human enemies. So there are probably 6 new enemies at least: all four of the basic classes and the two new alien types.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Alright, so I assume everyone's talking about the Enemy Within pack (Haven't followed this thread at all), has that actually been released or is it coming sometime soon because I'm tempted to buy it and start playing enemy unknown again after a long hiatus but the drat steam page didn't list any kind of release date or anything when I checked it. I don't really feel like blowing $30 on something that won't be released for another 3 months or something when that new Telltale Fables game is sitting there looking all pretty. So has it/when is it being released?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Holy poo poo it's pretty clear that they mean classes of enemies. Sectoid/Muton/etc will have Mech/Gene-modded variants, etc. It's really not that complicated.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.

Andre Banzai posted:

Every melee attack against a Thin Man should have 80% miss chance, because they're so agile. That way, we can keep on hating them forever.

I get more wins with an entire team of thin men online against friends than I probably should. :shepface:

Sethmaster
Nov 15, 2012

Metrohunter posted:

I get more wins with an entire team of thin men online against friends than I probably should. :shepface:

Did you keep count of how many times they tell you to die?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

DatonKallandor posted:

I'm pretty sure there was an interview where they were explicitly asked, and they confirmed that there will be more than 2 new enemies.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Fangz posted:

I'm pretty sure there was an interview where they were explicitly asked, and they confirmed that there will be more than 2 new enemies.

I don't have any evidence to back this up, but I'd be surprised if in the end of the day we indeed got only 2 new enemies. Part of what's fun about XCOM is encountering a new alien that you've never seen before and getting screwed by him in a way you haven't anticipated, so if I was the developer, I'd keep most of the new aliens secret, even after the game launched.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Australia hates fun things that don't involve a lack of pants and alcohol, we don't know everything about an expansion prior to its release, and people have conflicting opinions on whether or not said expansion is 'worth it' based on what we definitively know is in the box.

In other news, the sky is blue, water is wet, and I'm already sick of this pissing contest! So let's knock it off please.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Woah, I just saw the expansion on steam. I bet Shen isn't going to approve of this poo poo.

Shen's going to mope about these changes, isn't he?

MechPlasma
Jan 30, 2013

The Biggest Jerk posted:

I have a bigger deal with them shutting down the X-com project if you do poorly. I can see them saying, hmm let's replace the commander, not "we don't like these results, SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING"
I never thought of it as "This is the point where you don't have enough funding", because you don't need their funding to begin with. I always took it as "This is the point where the world is screwed". Half the entire world has taken it so badly that they don't even trust XCOM. At that point, there's going to be mass hysteria and paranoia! That's not something that goes down well when you're in an all-out war.

Angela Christine posted:

Woah, I just saw the expansion on steam. I bet Shen isn't going to approve of this poo poo.

Shen's going to mope about these changes, isn't he?
I read somewhere that Shen's going to have a slight personality change to support Robocops, to compliment Vahlen's fondness for Space Marines.

I can't remember where I read it though, so don't quote me on that.

MechPlasma fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 4, 2013

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

At least they aren't playing video games...

I've made sure of that :unsmigghh:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

MechPlasma posted:

I read somewhere that Shen's going to have a slight personality change to support Robocops, to compliment Vahlen's fondness for Space Marines.

I can't remember where I read it though, so don't quote me on that.
I think it was in an interview with the lead developer of the expansion. Too bad, they could have introduce a new scientist for that kind of insane stuff. Some sort of green eyed brazilian-american doctor with a german name who can play Rush's "YYZ" with drums, for example.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The endless Neil Peart references and prog rock nerd spergery would drown out whatever the purpose of X-COM is and the alternate ending is that the aliens will nuke us to make us quit arguing over the guy. Or... they'll just leave and let us kill each other over drum solos.

On the off hand someone at Firaxis actually reads it, I'd want to have a drum solo of life as a cheat code to bring back a soldier. After all, it was possible to hexedit your dead soldiers back to life in the originals, why not now? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn4IprJww8w

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
When does Enemy Within come out? I want to see if I can beat the vanilla game at last.

Also, what research should I start with?

TobiasRieper
Dec 21, 2007

Rise up!
Fall down!
I've recently come back to playing this and have a question about the vanilla game.

I'm on track to having complete satellite coverage, but i'm wondering if it's worth leaving one country out to keep getting abduction missions?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

TobiasRieper posted:

I've recently come back to playing this and have a question about the vanilla game.

I'm on track to having complete satellite coverage, but i'm wondering if it's worth leaving one country out to keep getting abduction missions?

Depends on what you mean by worth it. There's nothing you get out of those missions you can't get out of shooting down ufo's, but if you just like fighting on those maps then it's worth it I guess.

MechPlasma
Jan 30, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

When does Enemy Within come out? I want to see if I can beat the vanilla game at last.
November 12th for the US, 15th for Europe.

Unlucky7 posted:

Also, what research should I start with?
Xeno-biology. It unlocks the stuff required for interrogating live aliens. Catch a Sectoid for the Laser Beam credits, then research lasers.

And also further the story.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

DatonKallandor posted:

30$ (30€ because gently caress you europe I guess) was the price for an expansion back when an expansion meant a new campaign at the very least. Not 1 extra class, 2 extra enemies and 10 more skills.

XCOM's story is so utterly irrelevant and pointless, I wonder what a new campaign would even look like? Slightly different order of events? The lovely NPCs will say different things that the player will skip just as quickly? Complaining about a lack of new campaign seems really bizarre to me.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

XCOM's story is so utterly irrelevant and pointless, I wonder what a new campaign would even look like? Slightly different order of events? The lovely NPCs will say different things that the player will skip just as quickly? Complaining about a lack of new campaign seems really bizarre to me.

Some of us aren't *beep boop* robots and enjoy a little narrative to go along with our gameplay.

I love Magic The Gathering, but even I would love to have a more interesting story incorporated into the gameplay, even if the card game itself is pretty fun.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Drifter posted:

Some of us aren't *beep boop* robots and enjoy a little narrative to go along with our gameplay.

You're looking for the wrong games then.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Drifter posted:

What story? It's Xcom, the story is "Aliens are invading, go kill them" and then a plot dump in the final mission. Other than the fluff you get when researching stuff there is barely any story in this game.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Zigmidge posted:

You're looking for the wrong games then.

There *was* a little(!) narrative in the vanilla. I played through it twice and change.

It'd be nice to see another one (even a little more involved) with the nearly new game priced expansion. That's all. No war or angry feelings. :)

Drifter fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 5, 2013

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

DatonKallandor posted:

Keep in mind that Steam write-ups usually just reflect the most recent press-release, and so far they've only announced two new aliens and won't talk about anything else. I wish I had a good example other than my memory, but I recall that prior to launch last year, there was a big-name game (Borderlands 2, I think?) that only mentioned two different player classes in the features section because that was all the press-releases had covered up to that point. As more details came out, Steam updated the page and the game started to sound more like a full-featured game and less like an alpha-release title.

tl;dr: It's very possibly a placeholder features list that will get revised before release. Even if there are only two new alien types, word has it that all existing aliens have been reworked and there's still (does this need spoilers?) The Anti-XCOM/YCOM/Cult of Sirius dudes to deal with

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Drifter posted:

I love Magic The Gathering, but even I would love to have a more interesting story incorporated into the gameplay, even if the card game itself is pretty fun.

I love a good story, too. But man, XCOM ain't that. And I'm not convinced it should ever aspire to be that. In fact, I wish it would shed what little story trappings it has now. Why? I'm not an emotionless robot and I love good story driven games, but you cannot have a compelling story in a completely open ended sandbox strategy game. The good stories are the ones that happen dynamically, when your soldiers accomplish things and encounter hardship. Having a scripted campaign runs antithetical to the XCOM experience and they should focus on the emergent stories instead.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 5, 2013

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Drifter posted:

You mean, other than the huge over-arching storyline that every single set is built around?

XCOM ain't about story, though, it's about Aliens and the dudes who fight them.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I love a good story, too. But man, XCOM ain't that. And I'm not convinced it should ever aspire to be that. In fact, I wish it would shed what little story trappings it has now. Why? I'm not an emotionless robot and I love good story driven games, but you cannot have a compelling story in a completely open ended sandbox strategy game. The good stories are the ones that happen dynamically, when your soldiers accomplish things and encounter hardship. Having a scripted campaign runs antithetical to the XCOM experience and they should focus on the emergent stories instead.

Absolutely. X-COM is already a fair bit more 'on-rails' than the original (though actually the progression milestones are extremely similar: live alien, alien base/commander, ultimate XCOM craft!). But even with the rails it has, the next mission could be on any map, with any set up current-progression enemies, and you might have any squad composition available. That's what makes the game special. You can't have a more detailed plot than already exists without messing with that psuedo-sandbox nature.

PS. I like the story elements that are there now. The cutcenes that say "THIS IS YOUR NEXT GOAL" are a nice and effective way of doing something that the UFOPAEDIA was actually a bit rubbish at doing in the original (fail to read the research report closely and you'll miss the hint for what to do next). The characters also make the world feel more real and immersive. I can picture what the world of Firaxis' XCOM looks like much more clearly than the world of the original.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 5, 2013

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Guys, I know many of you are used to being handed "stories" by your games. Usually with lovely writing and fair to midling voice acting. But not every game has to have a badly written novella to tell a story. For a strategy game, and XCom is surely such, you find the story yourself through the gameplay.

And that story is about your team. The ones who lived making miraculous headshots to save a botched mission and the ones who died cowering behind that car because they were too scared of the Mutons to realize the gas tank was about to go. Every single :xcom: moment we've had and shared here on the forums or with our friends is the story of XCom.

The total wipe in J-Burg the first time I fought Chryssalids and the fallout from that failure costing me most of Africa. "Narc" Rodriguez being the only surviving member of my original ten agents not only becoming my Volunteer but taking the Double Tap to kill the Super Ethereal and win the war. Those snapshots and every moment in-between is the story of XCom.

In a strategy game, you write the story yourself. And since it's unique to you it means a hell of a lot more than a hundred "No Russian" missions.

:xcom: is the story.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Eh, X-Com has some trappings of a story. We are hosed > Terror Mission/We are so very hosed > Alien Base > Now we have Psionics > gently caress your Battleships > gently caress your Leaders. Each addition of a new unit type in the base game was story, like it or not. Just not told through words, and more a silent reminder that the Doomsday Clock is getting closer to midnight with every second.

They could easily add another variant of Alien Base that leads to it's own missions, with a few strings alluding to the Cult of Sirius and I'd be happy. As you guys said, the story of X-Com is watching you personally survive the apocalypse. But the apocalypse would be a hell of a lot more boring if they hadn't bothered adding anything but a new wave of maps every few months, and eventually a YOU WIN screen. Hell, just go back through this thread and read all the people getting stoked their favorite team member xyz became the Volunteer, because of course they did, and of course that team member saved America. That's the games plot actually adding to the experience, not just personal stories of :xcom:

I guess it's less a story and more a set of goals. But goddamnit, I like having goals. Give me more goals. Give me goals that run concurrent to the goal of murdering all of the aliens and building Psionics. Give me goals to go fight new enemies. Give me new stuff to do.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 5, 2013

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

jng2058 posted:

Guys, I know many of you are used to being handed "stories" by your games. Usually with lovely writing and fair to midling voice acting. But not every game has to have a badly written novella to tell a story. For a strategy game, and XCom is surely such, you find the story yourself through the gameplay.
:words:
:xcom: is the story.

I don't agree. But I understand that some people enjoy minecraft and can spend hours talking about their adventures digging and punching trees with their friends. I don't think less of those types of people. How many times can you play a game of solitaire? Story, or as Rookersh said, narrative goals, can very positively compliment pure gameplay.

Rookersh posted:

I guess it's less a story and more a set of goals. But goddamnit, I like having goals. Give me more goals. Give me goals that run concurrent to the goal of murdering all of the aliens and building Psionics. Give me goals to go fight new enemies. Give me new stuff to do.

I agree with everything you've said in your post.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I've decided that I don't mind Thinmen.

Sectopods, though. gently caress Sectopods.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

aegof posted:

I've decided that I don't mind Thinmen.

Sectopods, though. gently caress Sectopods.

I've literally never lost a soldier to a Sectopod. By the time they show up, you've got a double tap sniper, danger zone heavies, and assaaults making GBS threads out alloy cannons. I didn't even know what a sectopods attack looked like until the final mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

My first ever game ended in utter failure to a sectopod in a crashed medium UFO. Well, a Sectopod and an Ethereal, after my rocket aimed to the Sectopod misfired and blew open the commander's room, unleashing an ethereal and his muton bodyguards while I was still under fire from the sectopod and some floaters. The Ethereal immediately dropped that psi storm thing in the middle of all of my guys during the chaos. I managed to evac with one survivor, but had a squad full of newbies that wiped not too long after that and I gave up.

Ever since then, Ethereals have been non-threats. It makes me really wish that they could appear in other contexts, and ambush your squad. Because they are REALLY drat dangerous if you don't keep them in check or immediately kill them. But doing that is trivial when you always know exactly where they'll be.

• Locked thread