Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Blistex posted:

Was it that Pioneers sound too European, or that they've got a bit of overlap in duties and merged them into something else?

I haven't the foggiest idea, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Pioneer sounds vaguely communist (eg Young Pioneers)

I thought a Sapper was the term applied to an assault element that used explosive charges exclusively to breach enemy lines whereas pioneers used engineering techniques to breach obstacles and then assault as normal infantry.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Scratch Monkey posted:

Pioneer sounds vaguely communist (eg Young Pioneers)

I thought a Sapper was the term applied to an assault element that used explosive charges exclusively to breach enemy lines whereas pioneers used engineering techniques to breach obstacles and then assault as normal infantry.

I don't know why Pioneer was dropped, but that sounds a bit far fetched regarding communism. Even if you GIS Pioneer, the the top hits aside from pioneer-brand electronics are covered wagons going west to settle the USA.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
Probably more to do with a changing mission than a fear of vaguely European words considering how many military terms are French in origin(Corporal, Sergeant, Lieutenant, enfilade, oblique, etc) and a historic love of artillery.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Sappers generally are assault engineers who blow poo poo up, in the 19th century a sapper was a diehard who placed gunpowder caskets underneath enemy fortifications to breach them. The name still has connotations of recklessness and vague insanity today in many countries.

As for pioneers it varies considerably. A Norwegian pioneer is a guy who takes out a usable transportation axis for other units - setting up minor temporary bridges, clearing mine fields, cutting down trees and so on. It' can be a pretty big undertaking in a mountaneous, forest-studded sub-polar country. Naturally, they pride themselves on being First In (which they're not, recon was there first).

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Sjurygg posted:

Sappers generally are assault engineers who blow poo poo up, in the 19th century a sapper was a diehard who placed gunpowder caskets underneath enemy fortifications to breach them. The name still has connotations of recklessness and vague insanity today in many countries.

The term (with the same connotation) was used at least as late as Vietnam for US forces. Although we were the ones getting our poo poo blown up by them. "Sappers in the wire!" etc etc.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Uhhh....you guys are ALL wrong about sappers.

Sappers are what spies use to destroy the teleporters, dispensers, and sentry guns of the enemy team.

:smug:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Sjurygg posted:

As for pioneers it varies considerably. A Norwegian pioneer is a guy who takes out a usable transportation axis for other units - setting up minor temporary bridges, clearing mine fields, cutting down trees and so on. It' can be a pretty big undertaking in a mountaneous, forest-studded sub-polar country. Naturally, they pride themselves on being First In (which they're not, recon was there first).

This was my father's experience in the Bundeswehr. He was the company commander's radioman, riding around in a low-top M113. Their job was to get the regiment up to their staging areas and them support them from there using AVLBs, pontoon bridges, mine clearing devices, and explosives (lots and lots of explosives). During the inevitable retreat they were to blow up the roads behind them by placing C4 into predrilled holes or blocking them with huge concrete obstacles. Life expectancy was pretty short, something to the tune of 90% casualties in 24 hours.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Blistex posted:

They do almost no live-fire training because commanders want to save money to show their bosses how awesome they are. If your troops expended the amount of ammo in a year that the same number of US troops expended in a week, you'd probably find yourself canned or demoted pretty fast.

Jesus, this sounds like thinking from the royal navy circa 1800. This is all information I've gotten from the Master and Commander books, but apparently the RN used to only provide enough gunpowder to do live fire drills once or twice a year. Enterprising commanders with the money to do so (like Jack Aubery) would buy gunpowder themselves so live-fire drills could happen more often.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

madeintaipei posted:

This was my father's experience in the Bundeswehr. He was the company commander's radioman, riding around in a low-top M113. Their job was to get the regiment up to their staging areas and them support them from there using AVLBs, pontoon bridges, mine clearing devices, and explosives (lots and lots of explosives). During the inevitable retreat they were to blow up the roads behind them by placing C4 into predrilled holes or blocking them with huge concrete obstacles. Life expectancy was pretty short, something to the tune of 90% casualties in 24 hours.

So he was part of regular army Pioniere? Do you know whether or not he was part of a company attached to other BW units or one of the Korps-level battalions or something?

Engineers are such an overlooked part of Cold War military history. Soviet bridging dudes could cross almost anything, you had scatterable mine systems making GBS threads out stuff at entire grid squares, backpack nukes to take out important points, and dudes in vans blowing up every primary and secondary street. poo poo was cray.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Nebakenezzer posted:

Jesus, this sounds like thinking from the royal navy circa 1800. This is all information I've gotten from the Master and Commander books, but apparently the RN used to only provide enough gunpowder to do live fire drills once or twice a year. Enterprising commanders with the money to do so (like Jack Aubery) would buy gunpowder themselves so live-fire drills could happen more often.

That's what you might call technically true - It was part of the obligations of the captain to drill the crew as much as was necessary to achieve combat effectiveness. Don't think of the captain buying extra powder as being outside his duty, think of it as being the same as mess bills - a convenient (although rather cold blooded) way for the navy to save money, and part of the traditional duty owed by the captain to the navy in gratitude for his promotion.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Maybe that's why they subbed everyone in chinese characters? Some bizarro hillbilly dialect from wherever it is that they have wasps nests the size of family sedans?

I know in Germany when they interview someone who's speaking some really non-standard dialect they'll usually run subtitles in standard High German .

Who the heck knows. The idea of a modern Chinese identity is pretty tenuous.

Also who the hell thought a flamethrower was a good idea?

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
You're a communist if you think a flamethrower is a bad idea :colbert: ......wait

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Koesj posted:

Engineers are such an overlooked part of Cold War military history. Soviet bridging dudes could cross almost anything, you had scatterable mine systems making GBS threads out stuff at entire grid squares, backpack nukes to take out important points, and dudes in vans blowing up every primary and secondary street. poo poo was cray.

Quite a few bridges in the north of Norway are longer than they have to be just so that the distance betwwen the bridgeheads would exeed the length of a soviet mobile bridgelayer like the MT-55 when the bridge had been blown.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

Decent gunpowder was a serious strategic resource and a single ship of the line could expend an entire land-battle's worth in a few volleys (Literally. Wellington had 150 guns at Waterloo. A 74-gun third rate obviously has half that just in one hull).

And Britain was probably best supplied in the world. British line infantry got a yearly practice allowance of 30 rounds. Everyone else on the continent was lucky to get 5.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Caconym posted:

Quite a few bridges in the north of Norway are longer than they have to be just so that the distance betwwen the bridgeheads would exeed the length of a soviet mobile bridgelayer like the MT-55 when the bridge had been blown.

Awesome, never heard that before! It'd only have taken a bit longer for them to have to bust out the PMPs but still, that's some good defensive engineering.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Insane Totoro posted:

Who the heck knows. The idea of a modern Chinese identity is pretty tenuous.

It might be Sichuanese. In other words, to a native Mandarin speaker it's about the same as Dutch is to you.

Insane Totoro posted:

Also who the hell thought a flamethrower was a good idea?

A genius. :black101:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Koesj posted:

So he was part of regular army Pioniere? Do you know whether or not he was part of a company attached to other BW units or one of the Korps-level battalions or something?

Panzer Pioneer Company 300. I think he said it was ostensibly a regimental division level asset, but they usually stuck with units from their military district for drills. I could ask him next time we talk. The unit was out of Ellwangen in Ostalbkreis, B-W. It only exists as a transport unit now, my dad's cousin served there as a truck driver twenty years after my father!

madeintaipei fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 22, 2013

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Well it's a XX0-series unit which means it was part of a numbered brigade, in this case Panzerbrigade 30 out of... Elwangen :)

e: I don't think they would have been part of PionierKdo 2, not even administratively, but hey all my knowledge comes off of ~paper~ (or in this case a long-rear end PDF)

Koesj fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 22, 2013

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Nebakenezzer posted:

The other thing you should know is that the fiction greatly overemphasizes frigates and gunnery because it makes the stories more interesting. (that blog doesn't cite many sources on that post, but most of the posts have reputable citations)

Most gunnery was "get the ship close enough so you cannot miss, and fire broadsides as fast as humanly possible". Not really unlike the military doctrine for soldiers on land at the time which can be facetiously simplified as: form ranks, shoot volleys towards the enemy until they're all dead or running, maybe go stab them to death if your officer says to.

So the old Jack Aubrey tradition of floating a cask on day 2 of every voyage and giving extra rum to the first gun crew that hits it doesn't appear to have been common practice. And the actual story of Thomas Cochrane capturing El Gamo with HMS Speedy is even more incredible in real life than the re-telling in fiction. That guy was a grade A, genuine badass.

HMS Victory Rolling Broadside:fap:

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

canyoneer posted:

And the actual story of Thomas Cochrane capturing El Gamo with HMS Speedy is even more incredible in real life than the re-telling in fiction. That guy was a grade A, genuine badass.

I had to look this up, and the Action of 6th May 1801 was indeed, badass as all hell.

quote:

Finding that he had been beaten by such an inferior foe, the Spanish second-in-command asked Cochrane for a certificate assuring him that he had done all he could to defend his ship.[8] Cochrane obliged, with the equivocal wording that he had 'conducted himself like a true Spaniard'

:drat:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Good god, Cochrane's balls must have been enormous!

e: hahaha, Cochrane described his own ship as "little more than a burlesque of a vessel of war". What that wiki article didn't mention was that the Gamo had been sent out specifically to capture/kill the Speedy, which had captured about 9 spanish/french ships in the months leading up to the engagement.

In the end, it took an entire french squadron, lead by a 74-gun ship named Tyrannicide, to finally take little Speedy down. The french refused to take his sword and traded him and his crew in a prisoner exchange right after the battle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Speedy_%281782%29

US's next supercarrier needs to be called Tyrannicide :colbert:

grover fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Oct 25, 2013

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm thinking about going to Cape Kennedy Space Center this december, but I'm getting confused by all the different tours. Has anyone been there recently and could tell me which are/aren't worthwhile?

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

wdarkk posted:

I'm thinking about going to Cape Kennedy Space Center this december, but I'm getting confused by all the different tours. Has anyone been there recently and could tell me which are/aren't worthwhile?

Everything is worthwhile :colbert:

But man they really did make their tours confusing as all hell, they weren't always like that. If you're spending just one day there you need to see the IMAX movie(s), the Atlantis exhibit, the VAB and the Saturn V/Apollo Center. The exhibits in the visitor complex itself are also pretty neat, the rocket garden especially. You can get some really nice pictures of the rocket garden at dusk when they turn the lights on.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
In addition to that stuff (Atlantis wasn't there when I went but I can highly recommend the Saturn V center), if you are in any way shape or form a history buff you need to do the Cape Canaveral Then and Now tour...it hits the historic Mercury and Gemini launch sites and unless they've changed something it goes to LC-34 (site of Apollo I).

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Cape Canaveral Then and Now is the poo poo. I went three-ish years ago and the last stop before the big museum was Apollo 1. They also take you to a small museum on base with a gift shop, but time is limited.

Related to this thread, they have a garden exhibit with all sorts of Cold War toys.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Fair amount of cross-pollenation here already, but y'all need to go read MrChips on the M-50 Bounder. Pro-as-gently caress writing on coldwar supersonic bombers.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3276654&pagenumber=381#post420942400

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Interesting cold war documentaries on Norwegian TV today.

Factoids:
- Norwegian intelligence built up clandestine stay-behind groups in Finland specifically to blow the major bridges that could be used by Soviet forces to invade Norway through Finland. This was without the Finnish governments knowledge. Norwegian intelligence had the Finnish military penetrated to such a degree that they were told when the Finns broke the Norwegian crypto used for negotiations with Soviet over Svalbard.

- Norway also recruited Finnish nationals to conduct deep recon into Soviet, several of these agents had to run to Norway to avoid arrest by the Finns.

- A Nowegian intercept station in Fauske was built to intercept signals from Soviet sattelites to Moscow. Two noteworthy
episodes of intercepted signals include the Falklands and Iraq. In Iraq the beacons from downed American pilots was meant to be picked up by American sattelites, but this failed several times. The beacons were however picked up by Russian sattelites and beamed down to Moscow. These signals were intercepted at Fauske and relayed to the Americans who could then rescue the pilots. In the Falklands a russian radar intercept sattelite picked up the position of Argentine naval units, including the General Belgrano (by fingerprints of radar emissions intercepted by the sattelite). This information was also intercepted at Fauske and relayed to the UK.
The Fauske intercept station is still operational and still classified.

- And of course, someone in Norway knew about the use of Bodø Airbase as a U2 base, but we still don't and probably never will know just who knew what.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
[redacted]

Koesj fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 8, 2015

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Everyone had their dirty fingers in the northern Finland pie, it seems. The Soviets are claimed to have constructed a number of gas stations along certain very low-traffic roads up there, via an apparently independent commercial petroleum company. The Swedish militia battalion commanders along the Swedish-Finnish borders had rather close contacts with their Finnish counterparts (it's the usual thing up there, what's said in the sauna stays in the sauna), to the point that there are stories about some visiting brass from Stockholm asking a militia commander what his intentions for the companies in his battalion are when the Russians come rolling over the border, and he goes:
- Sir, 1st company at this place, 2nd company at that place, 3rd company at some other place, 4th company-
- Hold on, hold on, your battalion only has three companies!
- Well, if the Russians are at the border, the neighbors will be here before them...
Probably a story to be taken with about a kilo of table salt, but still.

Tangentially related, during WW2 and up until the 50's the Swedish military intelligence repeatedly attempted to land spies (mostly exiled Estonians that fled to Sweden during the war) in the Baltic countries via torpedo boat, but most (all?) of them got caught. Overall the Swedish military was extremely aggressive vs the Soviets in the 50's. "Provocations" doesn't even begin to cover it; in the late 40's and early 50's most of the east block's sea ports around the Baltic Sea were repeatedly photographed with recon Spitfires, which naturally violated Soviet air space. At one point the air force flew a recon Spitfire with the national roundels painted over all the way to Kandalaksha on the Kola peninsula and back (naturally violating Finnish airspace as well). All of this eventually led to the Russians finally losing their patience and shooting down a SIGINT DC-3 in what became known as the Catalina affair.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 29, 2013

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

TheFluff posted:

Everyone had their dirty fingers in the northern Finland pie, it seems.

Fight to the last Finn was the plan all along, right? Not like it would have made any difference. Nukes, everyone dies.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Well that's the saying. If you can, let the Finns Win without us.
But as far as Sweden goes; if WW3 rolled in over the border, the plans where fight to the last swede and take as many bastards with you. Everyone knew we where going to loose in every circumstance: so the logic went that if we could guarantee a stupidly costly victory for 'Landet Urban' hopefully they wouldn't bother coming. I think it was close to 70%?, of everything we had, that would be going to the Finnish border...

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

While we're still here, :stare: story from Norwegian state television (NRK) today.
http://www.nrk.no/fordypning/her-far-de-vite-pappas-hemmelighet-1.11318663

NRK, my translation, posted:

Dads dark secret.

All their lives Arne Lund from Sappen in Nordreisa had kept the secret that he'd been an American agent from his 6 daughters.
He never told them about the last trip that went wrong and that he shot and killed three Soviet soldiers.

Five days before his death he told his story to NRK.

-I had no choice, I had to do it, he said.

When NRK showed his daughters the recordings of their father earlier this month they reacted strongly.
Several began crying when they understood the perilious missions he had undertaken.

- We never knew about this, says one of the daughters, Hilde Lund.

- When we were small it happened often that dad sat in the barn and cried. We never understood why.
That he, who was supposed to be the strongest in the famliy, cried so much. He never told us why. I think he had it really tough, she says.

The daughters are certain that he tells the truth when he tells about his missions into the Soviet Union during the cold war.

- Would you have lied about killing someone when you knew you were dying, asks Hilde Lund, who like her sisters thinks it was a relief for their father to unburden himself before he died.

- Recruited by the USA
The daughters just knew a father who had at times been frought with anxiety and a difficult temper.

Arne Lunds story is the first time a Norwegian publically tells about some of the most dramatic operations during the cold war in the north.

It was around 1950 that the first agents were sent across the Norwegian-Soviet border, to find out what happened in the large and hermetically sealed empire in the east. When Soviet forces liberated eastern Finmark in 1944 and withdrew a year later many people thought we were headed for a new age of openness and contact across the borders in the arctic.

It was not to be. The Iron Curtain descended across Europe and in 1949 NATO was founded, with Norway as a member. Europe was split into a Soviet-dominated eastern bloc and a weestern Europe dominated by the USA.

Arne Lund was born in 1932, and like a lot of youths from the northern parts of Norway, chose to extend his military service with an NCO course. He became a sergeant, and later a 2nd LT [Norwegian officers are all mustangs, all line officers have advanced from sergeanthood] in the artillery, mountain artillery battalion number 3, based in Narvik.

As he was participating in an excercise in Hjerkinn he was approched by an American officer who asked if he would be interested in a special assignment in the north.

- He said it was in Finmark. He said it was about bringing some equipment across the border to Finland. That's how it all began, Arne Lund said in the interview with NRK just before his death.

Lund was at that time in excellent condition and additionaly equipped with a bright head. Being raised with nature right outside his door in the beautiful Reisa valley was probably also a factor when the American officer, with his Norwegian accomplices, chose just him for this kind of mission.

Wife suspicious
Arne Lund was at that time unemployed. His "employers" got him a teaching job where it wouldn't raise suspicion that he went away for a couple of weeks.

- A substitute was always arranged for me, or I arranged it myself, he said. He was a teacher at Uløya in Skjervøy for about 10 years.

- But what did your wife say when you suddenly dissapeared for weeks?

- Good question. She got suspicious of course, but I just told her I was going to training courses. Courses were also the official explanation I gave to others who asked.

Seven trips across the border.
Arne Lund said he made seven trips via Finland into Soviet with "equipment". Instructions always came in the form of a letter stating that he had to make "a trip".

He travelled by ferry to Hammerfest where he went to a certain store. Sometimes he met his American contact there, and was given a package to bring along. Then he travelled by bus via Karasjok to Ivalo in northern Finland. From there the trip went east towards Virtaniemi and Raja-Jooseppi.

The last bit was on foot. Along the border he was instructed to orient himself by telephone or power lines.

I walked along, counting a certain number of poles. And there you coudn't count worng, and I didn't. Then I'd walk a certain number of steps in a certain direction from the pole, and that was very important. The place was checked out beforehand so it wasn't hard to find. There I was to bury the package and make a natural mound on top.

- So you didn't mark the site in any way?

- No, nothing.

- Do you know what might have been in the box you buried?

- I think it must have been dollars, Lund says.

Arne Lund had with him pliers to cut holes in the border fence and weapons if he got into dangerous situations. He had both a German Luger and another, silenced, pistol, as well as food.

He never spent long across the border, at most a day.

- I wasn't really scared. And I was young and had guts and trusted in my weapons. And of course there were some money to be made as well, he says.

But when asked how much he made he wouldn't answer. Finnish nationals who were recruited as agents were paid one or two years wages to make a trip across the border. Arne Lund also confirmed there were quite a lot of money to be made for a poor schoolteacher and farmers son like himself.

Killed three Russians
But during the last trip something went wrong. When he was passing back trough the border fence he ran into three Russian soldiers who were mending a hole in the fence, and had placed their weapons on the ground as they worked.

Arne Lund determined that he had no choice but to shoot first, and used his silenced pistol.

- How many shots did you fire?

- At least two at each soldier. I don't think they died immediately. Their eyes have haunted me all my life, he says.

Arne Lund is the first Norwegian to come forward and publically tell about being on covert operations into the Soviet Union.
He had, like all the others, made a wow of silence, but chose to tell his story before he died so that it could be a part of Norwegian history.

Unconfirmed
It's been hard to confirm what he had been a part of from official sources. The former head of CIAs Oslo office, Rolf Mowatt-Larssen says in a conversation with NRK that he doesn't know of this particular story, but he finds it "not implausible".

- CIA had a lot of operations into north-west Russia during the cold war, that's well known. And what Arne Lund says is belivable, says the retired intelligence officer.

It's not possible to confirm Arne Lunds story in Russia eighter. But the well known writer and historian Mikhail Oresjeta says to NRK that he believes it must have been some kind of listening device in the box Arne Lund buried just across the border. Oresjeta also says that the KGB around 1980 found listening equipment near a communication line from the border area towards Murmansk. It was NATO equipment, he says.

Arne Lund died at Sonjatun nursing home in Nordreisa feburary 15th this year. His story is told in the documentary "An Agents Confession" on NRK tonight.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

:aaaaa:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

At first I thought that was a video game.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Koesj posted:

It seems the Scando-Falklandian (Malvinian?) connection goes even deeper than I thought! In a very roundabout some people I know might have stumbled upon the alleged Argie attempt to buy intel of UK fleet movements from the Soviets in Stockholm back in '82 :aaa:

I know some people who would be very interested in this. I can give you some contact info if you'd like.

They're British naval historians.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Associated video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzjKauBI0T0

GoPro: We make cool cameras, but you will never be as badass as our advertisements, hth.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_747_Large_Cargo_Freighter

I didn't get photos (I was driving) but I saw one of these flying around recently. They are completely absurd. But they're not as awesome/absurd as the Super Guppy.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Psion posted:

I didn't get photos (I was driving) but I saw one of these flying around recently. They are completely absurd. But they're not as awesome/absurd as the Super Guppy.

Aww yeah, Super Guppy. There's one at the air and space museum close to where I grew up.
The pictures don't do the scale any justice. It is a cartoonishly enormous plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Psion posted:

The Super Guppy clearly has hydroencephalitis. :colbert: