Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

etalian posted:

Yeah the combat design is fairly simple but still ends up being really fun due to the chaotic nature of the battles.

Also similar to Dark Messiah has kick attack goodness.

Exactly, it's the team fights that make it fun. Three guys screaming and throwing blows, not Super Elite Lone Wolf Alpha Males.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
I love this game but I also love to bitch about it. In this case it's why people don't implement a ping limit on servers, because when I have 40-80 ping, some guy with 200+ is impossible to block/hit. Other than that, I've taken to playing exclusively TDM dagger MaA and it is ridiculously fun because so few people can deal with you taking a slight pause between stabs.

Oh also, is it just me or does it seem like a physical impossibility to hit someone from behind with your fists while both of you are moving?

Orv fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 23, 2013

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I went into some FFA-Duel server the other day and it was mostly Level 40+ people, I'm a mere level 28 and got my rear end handed to me but to say there's anything even remotely elegant about 'skilled' chiv play is a blatant lie, sword dragging and ridiculous feint to parry moves look spastic and idiotic.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I went into some FFA-Duel server the other day and it was mostly Level 40+ people, I'm a mere level 28 and got my rear end handed to me but to say there's anything even remotely elegant about 'skilled' chiv play is a blatant lie, sword dragging and ridiculous feint to parry moves look spastic and idiotic.

Heh, sounds like another scrub who can't handle ~*Promod*~ :smug::smug::smug:

I honestly don't understand how people can look at Chivalry and go "Yeah this game has balanced and working mechanics, let's sperg the gently caress out with clans and competitive matches :pcgaming:"

Orv
May 4, 2011

Robot Randy posted:

I honestly don't understand how people can look at Chivalry and go "Yeah this game has balanced and working mechanics, let's sperg the gently caress out with clans and competitive matches :pcgaming:"

People are willing to do that about almost any game that does not inherently support it. Battlefield 3 is the latest stupid example I'm aware of. 5/6 person teams, basically no fun weapons (C4, UBGL, most guns at all in fact), etc.

Orv fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 23, 2013

Hog Jowls
Apr 10, 2004

The ditch is nearer.

Orv posted:

I love this game but I also love to bitch about it. In this case it's why people don't implement a ping limit on servers, because when I have 40-80 ping, some guy with 200+ is impossible to block/hit. Other than that, I've taken to playing exclusively TDM dagger MaA and it is ridiculously fun because so few people can deal with you taking a slight pause between stabs.

Oh also, is it just me or does it seem like a physical impossibility to hit someone from behind with your fists while both of you are moving?

It's a great game, but has a definite lack of polish, something that hopefully will improve further. Little quality of life stuff like remembering the last equipment configuration would be great, and of course the ever popular hit detection. It's not too bad on those servers with low ping limits.

I've been playing as a MaA with a dagger, and it's a blast repeatedly stabbing people in the face, but I find I have to switch to first person in order to parry anything with that drat weapon.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yeah, seriously, there is definite skill to the combat, but dudes in plate armor wielding pole-arms and mauls are not going to produce a swashbuckling scene. Actually, the only cinematic example I can think of for such weighty combat is that old movie Excalibur. Definitely not a graceful dance in that scene, but has its own appeal.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Slappy Moose posted:

Whatever you play best have the most fun with.
Fixed.

YF-23 posted:

Only consensus I've seen is that the Norse Sword owns.
I refuse to use that weapon, because a loving NORSE sword being a pansy stabbing weapon instead of a manly chopping weapon offends me.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hog Jowls posted:

It's a great game, but has a definite lack of polish, something that hopefully will improve further. Little quality of life stuff like remembering the last equipment configuration would be great, and of course the ever popular hit detection. It's not too bad on those servers with low ping limits.

All these problems have persisted in one form or another since the beta, so I don't hold out too much hope for fundamental change in the way of polish, but it'd sure be nice. I'm certainly not going to stop playing the game but it can get kind of annoying after a couple hours of that stuff.

As for dagger MaA Hog, are you using mostly overhead or stab when you get up in someones face?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really wish they would redesign objective maps to make your goals way more clear. Half the time when I play TO I have fun, the other half I don't because my team loses horribly due to everyone ignoring what we're supposed to be doing. I can't count how many times people have run off after defending the cart only for a lone Maa to push it. I feel like if this game had this information displayed at the bottom of the screen like in TF2 people would be more focused on the objective rather than loving about.

Hog Jowls
Apr 10, 2004

The ditch is nearer.

Orv posted:

All these problems have persisted in one form or another since the beta, so I don't hold out too much hope for fundamental change in the way of polish, but it'd sure be nice. I'm certainly not going to stop playing the game but it can get kind of annoying after a couple hours of that stuff.

As for dagger MaA Hog, are you using mostly overhead or stab when you get up in someones face?

Yeah, I was thinking something more like minor improvements to the netcode, I don't expect a usability overhaul. I was thinking specifically of when Natural Selection (the first one) debuted, the melee hitcode was really really wonky, and steadily improved. Just a mod, but still an indie FPS with major melee elements, so somewhat comparable.

Yeah, my preference has been for the overhead stabs. I usually try to lead with an overhead stab combo, though it's a little awkward for me for some reason to repeatedly "tap" mwheel down. I frequently then follow up with a slash combo against knights and vanguards once they are a little out of rhythm. A MaA barreling headfirst into a knight with a dagger seems to flummox some of them a bit, which helps. I should note I'm not hugely successful with the dagger, but I think it's funny, and well, I've already unlocked all the main MaA weapons.

Sadly, my dagger antics have actually improved once I started playing in 1st person mode. I found maxing the field of view helped with the situation awareness, and it's much easier to block in 1st person, especially with weapons like the dagger.

EDIT:

Internet Kraken posted:

I really wish they would redesign objective maps to make your goals way more clear. Half the time when I play TO I have fun, the other half I don't because my team loses horribly due to everyone ignoring what we're supposed to be doing. I can't count how many times people have run off after defending the cart only for a lone Maa to push it. I feel like if this game had this information displayed at the bottom of the screen like in TF2 people would be more focused on the objective rather than loving about.

Yeah, this is another example of the polish I wish the game had. One thing Valve has always done exceptionally well, and should be emulated, is their provision of feedback to the player. Both TF2 and Left 4 Dead are examples of games that make it unambiguous what the state of the game is, and what needs to be done next. In all fairness to Chivalry, it's something that is done very poorly on many triple-A games as well. A recent spate of playing Planetside 2 has shown me that SOE is positively awful at providing feedback, for instance, which makes the game really confusing to new players and creates frustrating "WTF" moment even to veterans.

Hog Jowls fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 23, 2013

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Internet Kraken posted:

Can't get kills defending the cart. Be the general.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hog Jowls posted:

Yeah, seriously, there is definite skill to the combat, but dudes in plate armor wielding pole-arms and mauls are not going to produce a swashbuckling scene. Actually, the only cinematic example I can think of for such weighty combat is that old movie Excalibur. Definitely not a graceful dance in that scene, but has its own appeal.

Still the game does a really good job at capturing the chaotic nature of medieval fighting and other gruesome weapon death animations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r91EnIN3O4

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Internet Kraken posted:

I like when there's a big group hanging around the cart while we're pushing it, and one guy from the enemy team runs into view. 6 attackers immediately abandon the cart all to go after that one guy and it actually results in more losses for their team because there were 3 accidental TKs within the windmilling mosh pit.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I like when there's a big group hanging around the cart while we're pushing it, and one guy from the enemy team runs into view. 6 attackers immediately abandon the cart all to go after that one guy and it actually results in more losses for their team because there were 3 accidental TKs within the windmilling mosh pit.

I do this all the time as a Jav archer.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Dr. Abysmal posted:

This a favorite thing of mine as a MAA, to run by a group and have them all start chasing me, abandoning their objective. If you sprint off a bit while they play Chase the Rabbit you can turn around to let them follow, then just backwards dodge all of their attacks for a while. You inevitably lose, but they all LMB to try and catch you, which is great for TKs

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I enjoy running inside a group that is smart enough to not LMB, allowing free reign to slash people while spamming for help.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Had my second play session last night and went from going like 1:4 in K:D to going 1:1. Watching the videos in the OP helped a TON. Didn't realize how much you could move to effect the swing or that you could chain combos of different attack types, and didn't consider that stabs and overhand attacks are better in close proximity to walls/other people. Also the Vanguard is far and away easier to play than the MaA. I was thinking the speed and the shield would make MaA the easiest newbie class, and boy was I wrong.

If you're new at this game, I recommend watching that stuff.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRCHAAAAAAAAAAAAAEEEEEEEEEEEEEEBRBRBRBRBRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGH!

Game of the Year.

Orv
May 4, 2011
This game has my favorite voice "acting" ever.

The Mason MaA taunts are my favorite though. He says it with such gusto.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My favorite thing to do is play as an Argathan Knight and mash x-x-4 everytime I kill someone. I just like the way he sheepishly says "sorry :shobon:" after caving in a skull. The best part is people get irrationally mad at you apologizing for killing them :v:

Spamming kill archers line everytime I sneak up one of them is pretty fun too.

EDIT: Okay, for some reason I can't get any servers to show up. I tried restarting the game already and nothing is showing up still. What the heck?

EDIT 2: Oh I somehow started Steam in offline mode without realizing it.

Ha. Ha Ha. Ha :ughh:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 23, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011
In a server where everyone is not only okay with casual racism but also okay with Hitler apologists. Awesome.

(Most of it is trolling but goddamn.)

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
It's only been a few days but good lord the Archer's "Help" lines absolutely nails the "sniveling coward" tone perfectly. It's downright a fully-functioning "drop everything you're doing and try to kill me" taunt ability against pubbies.

Aside from that, can anyone clarify exactly what parts of the level need to be set on fire for the "burn down the market/farm/granary" objective map? The quest markers don't show jack aside from where the torches are kept, and my team was stuck tossing torches at pieces of scenery until the objective magically completed itself with only a minute left.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ChickenHeart posted:

Aside from that, can anyone clarify exactly what parts of the level need to be set on fire for the "burn down the market/farm/granary" objective map? The quest markers don't show jack aside from where the torches are kept, and my team was stuck tossing torches at pieces of scenery until the objective magically completed itself with only a minute left.
The grain fields are pretty self-explanatory, you throw a torch into one and that's that. The Market is a collection of stalls down near the big windmill, with a pack of torches nearby. Those stalls need to be set on fire for the market to be toasted.

The granary, I imagine, is what confused your team, because while it's a big building off to the left of where Agatha spawns, it's the only one that requires more than one torch thrown in to properly complete. The granary itself will start to catch fire after only one, but it'll never finish burning down until you throw in like 5 torches or so.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I don't know usually one torch per farm segment does the job, there are 8 segments, after you toss a torch you can visibly see them catch on fire and for some of them it takes about a minute to collapse and get registered as 'burned down'.

You have the main farm building and the two fields, the windmill and the four tents around it, each one needs one torch tossed into it.

Edit: ^^^ Are you sure? I think it just takes some time. I played yesterday on an empty server vs. a team of two guys and I burned all the segments down myself, I don't recall throwing more than one torch.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Edit: ^^^ Are you sure? I think it just takes some time. I played yesterday on an empty server vs. a team of two guys and I burned all the segments down myself, I don't recall throwing more than one torch.
Maybe they changed it - but I do remember getting this game and there being a bunch of confusion from a lot of players as to why the flaming loving granary wasn't completed yet, and it would stay merrily burning for 10 minutes straight.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Orv posted:

In a server where everyone is not only okay with casual racism but also okay with Hitler apologists. Awesome.

(Most of it is trolling but goddamn.)

The community for this game makes braining them with a polehammer feel extra special.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The farm is fun because people don't seem to realize that you have to burn all 8 sections of the field (like you have to burn every stall in the market) and some of them are hard to see if they're burnt or not.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Gimnbo posted:

The community for this game makes braining them with a polehammer feel extra special.

I got so pissed at an archer in a duel for him putting up his dukes and challenging me to a fist fight only for him to take out his crossbow and nail me in the head as I approached with my fists. The next two rounds I used a quarterstaff and bashed his head in both times.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I swear I've occasionally killed people with my parry. Is there some kind of timing to it to make people take damage or something?

I SAID LISTEN
Jan 10, 2007
I don't *do* up.
It is not possible to do damage with a parry.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Blimpkin posted:

I got so pissed at an archer in a duel for him putting up his dukes and challenging me to a fist fight only for him to take out his crossbow and nail me in the head as I approached with my fists. The next two rounds I used a quarterstaff and bashed his head in both times.

Bashing smug archers in the face is just one of the best selling points this game has to offer, really.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Someone else was probably hitting them, or if you got the kill credit it was probably just lag registering your last hit on them late or something.

Slappy Moose posted:

Bashing smug archers in the face is just one of the best selling points this game has to offer, really.

Last night I was playing my first Team DM match in that village and these two archers kept setting up on the hill by the stable, and I kept running down by the river and up behind them and lopping their heads off without them knowing wtf was happening. Literally got both of them like 3 or 4 times each. The last time one of them finally wised up and was covering the other guy's back... he saw me coming and tried to shoot me but I easily sidestepped it and Charge Attacked him, cutting both of his legs off AND the other guy's head in one swing.

This game. :allears:

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 24, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011

Blimpkin posted:

I had a guy that pulled out fists in the middle of a huge TDM brawl on the throne room map, and I'm all about the fisticuffs in this game so I put up my dukes and was immediately skewered by four separate javelins. :v:

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Ever since I unlocked the Norse Sword on the Man-at-Arms I've been using it constantly. I've decided to give the Broadsword another go after hearing so much about it in this thread and wow. The overheads do so much damage and the stab has so much reach that I have a devastating attack for every occasion. I regularly get into 3v1 fights and win, I can keep two knights stunlocked at once, and I can kite large groups and even kill a few before I get LMB'd to death. I can dance around people forever while they swing at the air trying to get me.

I actually get more kills as a MAA than a vanguard, and that's saying something.

Fuzz posted:

This game. :allears:

Pictured: Free kills.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
For ultimate at stun locking fun you gotta try the saber.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ChickenHeart posted:

Yeah I had this issue. "Wait, which market do I burn?... gently caress it THROW TORCHES AT EVERYTHING!" :black101: Granted, I haven't done many objective modes yet. So I'm sure there are some even more obtuse ones than When In Doubt, Burn Bverything. Someone mentioned making it more like TF2. Everyone blowing up along with the bomb cart for the match victory brought some dejavu.

In other news, last night I sucked complete balls at using a bow except for nailing crossbowmen, but 80% of the time I start getting into a shootout with one several dudes will rush me instead of the crossbow guy, even if they are the closer target :downs: On the upshot, I skyrocketed through dagger kills to nearly getting the thrust dagger.

I'm getting better at parrying those huge swords, but now my snag is how parrying fatty swords seems to hurl me back out of shortsword thrust reach. Meanwhile, I can parry a loving WARHAMMER then step in for a successful stab, repeat. I'm assuming it's a combination of greater sword length and heavy weapon knockback making dealing with the swords still a pain in the rear end, while at least giant Thor hammers are shorter.

EDIT: vvv In my time grinding up the spears (Haven't really used the third one much, went straight to unlocking the halberds), I kept switching between "Why is my spear passing through their shoulders but apparently dealing no damage?" and "I thought that would have missed" kills.

But my very favorite moment with Vanguard so far, was against an enemy rank 42 vanguard with like 20+ kills who... Just ducked in place in the face of my first Vanguard charge of the match while I was still a good 20 feet out, and ate a bardich to the eyesockets because even my terrible skill can aim downwards slightly. He never did answer my question of "Why did duck against a thrust?". Turns out he wasn't that good, just really really practiced at rushing in behind people for multi kill with big sword swings.

He was however, a complete monster when he switched to javelin archer, between knifing people to death :stare:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 24, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011
...Spears need to not apply damage the moment the windup ends. All you have to do is get through the overhead windup and anyone within a foot of you instantly dies.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Slappy Moose posted:

Or spam kicking their lazys asses out of the team spawn area.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

etalian posted:

Or spam kicking their lazys asses out of the team spawn area.

I was playing a defense map the other day were an archer on our team was standing on top of a cliff that barely had sight of the cart defense area. So I kicked him off it and told him to just sit on the cart. He actually listened and amazingly ended up helping since he was where the fighting was and could actually hit poo poo.

I really don't get why archers try to be loving snipers in this game when that doesn't work. Just standing a few feet behind the melee troops makes it easier to hit poo poo and you'll get more kills.

VVV I always give an archer poo poo when they hit me because aiming is your loving job you better be good at it :argh: Though usually the archers that hit people are the ones on the other side of the map since they can't be accurate at all.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

It really annoys me that the archers who are up close actually taking shots that could potentially hit something usually get chewed out and decapitated for tagging a friendly in melee. I'd much rather have an archer up close actually hitting things who happens to accidentally kill me than one sitting six miles away spitting arrows into dirt. And when did you get so high and mighty about teamkilling, Mr. Horizontal-Swinging-Halberd Vanguard?

• Locked thread