Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Loxbourne posted:

Something we haven't seen in the videos is the missile destroyer's z-attack, which dumps its entire missile load in a single volley (with an amusing cry of "Dump tubes! DUMP TUBES!" from the crew).

This is a spectacular alpha-strike - and since missiles in HW1 will track independently and chase another target if their first is destroyed, it will annihilate a strike craft wave or a mine wall in an instant.

We'll be seeing that soon enough!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Pity you didn't show off the OTHER new ship type that debuts in this mission since you only went down one of the routes. Oh well, guess it'll just wait for next mission.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I have to ask, why would they spies on someone that was exiled for so many millennia? Especially when they were planning to wipe them out anyways. Then I have to ask how did they get spies on the mothership? Were they planning to kill everyone including the spies? Where are the spies actually? If they aren't on the mothership that means they have a spy posing as a bensuni? How did they learn about these things?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I'm not sure where you're concluding that they have spies, I think it's more likely that after the fleet sent to attack Kharak never returned, they sent some scouts, found nothing but wreckage, and rightfully concluded that the Exiles were on the prowl.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Their spies weren't reporting on the exiles, they were reporting that the Bentusi might be interfering and intending to bring the matter to the Space UN. It might simply be a guy somewhere observing the Bentusi heading on their way to the Council from a region where the exiles were known to have been.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I think it's that they have spies in the Space UN who alerted them that the Bentusi were up to something, so it's time to shoot the messenger!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

JcDent posted:

As far as it stands, the attack on the station was a suicide mission. I wonder what's the crew supposed to be on the ships... And even if Homeworld had simulation of escape pods and gathering them to pick up crew, the nova would have toasted them :(

Every battle is literally a battle for the survival of their society, under those circumstances people would be lining up to give their life.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Xoidanor posted:

Every battle is literally a battle for the survival of their society, under those circumstances people would be lining up to give their life.

Please keep this in mind come Cataclysm.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

You could've just scuttled the broken destroyer.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

SugarAddict posted:

I have to ask, why would they spies on someone that was exiled for so many millennia? Especially when they were planning to wipe them out anyways. Then I have to ask how did they get spies on the mothership? Were they planning to kill everyone including the spies? Where are the spies actually? If they aren't on the mothership that means they have a spy posing as a bensuni? How did they learn about these things?

From what I remember of the lore...

The Taiidan were more or less forced into a deal to exile their former enemies (the Kushan). Since the Bentusi had be such thorns in their side, the Taiidan theorized that eventually the Bentusi would assist the Kushan back towards empire space. If anything, a Bentusi-assisted uprising of Kushan would seal the Bentusi fate and allow further expulsion/extermination. So in the case of the Kushan violating their treaty of no hyperspace travel, it was assumed that this would implicate the Bentusi in hearsay and violation of existing treaties. To say, the Kushan were an afterthought, the Taiidan really wanted to rid themselves of the Bentusi.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Veloxyll posted:

You could've just scuttled the broken destroyer.

Where's the fun in that?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

berryjon posted:

Where's the fun in that?

Since when have you turned down explosions?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Rick_Hunter posted:

Since when have you turned down explosions?

Since I could use 30 Bombers in Sphere formation to do the job for me, and inadvertently show off the inertia physics in the engine, when a simple scuttle would be merely a boom with nothing fancy.

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

With this option you got the boom anyway.

Also as a bonus, you got a bunch of friendly fire on the mothership, because dangit, they told us to fire that a way, so we're sure as hell gonna fire that a way, no matter what's in the way! :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I also note that badly damaged ships seem to lose control of their "spin," which seems to completely cripple ships that stand still and fire with fixed-mount weapons(like the Multi-Beam frigates) rather than turrets(which can turn at least SOME to compensate for losing control of the direction the hull's pointing in).

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

PurpleXVI posted:

I also note that badly damaged ships seem to lose control of their "spin," which seems to completely cripple ships that stand still and fire with fixed-mount weapons

This is an in-setting thing; it even gets a nod in some incidental dialogue during the Cataclysm opening.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

This mission is the only one I had issues with. It is such a goddamn pain in the arse, and takes so long. I'm surprised anybody likes it at all.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

This mission is the only one I had issues with. It is such a goddamn pain in the arse, and takes so long. I'm surprised anybody likes it at all.

It is your first chance to nab a Heavy Cruiser, the thing we saw coming out of the station in its reveal cutscene.

I thought that mines were little red dots that home in and collide with your ships, and the things screening the station were just stationary strike craft?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Added Space posted:

It is your first chance to nab a Heavy Cruiser, the thing we saw coming out of the station in its reveal cutscene.

No, that's an Assault Frigate.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The Taiidan Assault Frigate is still the best looking ship in the game. It's just so... direct.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Corbeau posted:

The Taiidan Assault Frigate is still the best looking ship in the game. It's just so... direct.

Yeah, it looks like it was made for violence. Also, them cinematics. I wonder if the overall fall in quality between HW and HW2 is close to what I felt happened between CoH1 and CoH2.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Corbeau posted:

Taiidan Destroyers all the way. Murderous sports car and angry squid are clearly the best basis for spacecraft.

Eh, I think one thing we can agree on is that the Kushan capitals are fugly. I guess it's kind of the point: they're really just functional designs stitched together from what was at hand at the moment. Taiidan spaceships, now those were made for war. You can easily tell that the frigates and destroyers share their respective chassis(es?), it's a bit more obscure with the intricate enemy design.

edit: But hey, Kushans have the cutest little Defender. Why do I feel I posted this exact same thing about three times by now?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 22, 2014

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Here's a fun fact, I've probably said this already, but in the code, the function for a mine locking onto its target is YoureMeat()

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

anilEhilated posted:

Why do I feel I posted this exact same thing about three times by now?

Dabir posted:

Here's a fun fact, I've probably said this already, but in the code, the function for a mine locking onto its target is YoureMeat()

You've both said these things already, but that doesn't stop them from being fun to hear.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Must be getting senilEhilated.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Nov 23, 2014

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I despise this mission, I always have to save scum to get through it without losing a destroyer. Always lose at least two to three frigates though. About the Kushan capitals I would say the Heavy Cruiser actually is quite nice to look at. Its to bad you can only build up to three.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 23, 2014

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Audio recording for the Skirmish video done. Thanks to the three guys who helped out!

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I was reading the Cataclysm manual, and one of the descriptions for the turanic raider ships mention that the pilot seat has support for a liquid membrane, which is required for all turanic raider pilots. Is this a general spaceship sci-fi thing, or are turanic raiders non humans?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I always assumed they were very alien aliens. Or using a liquid environment as a G-cushion. Or both, even!

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Can we talk about Homeworld 2 btw?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

year199X posted:

I was reading the Cataclysm manual, and one of the descriptions for the turanic raider ships mention that the pilot seat has support for a liquid membrane, which is required for all turanic raider pilots. Is this a general spaceship sci-fi thing, or are turanic raiders non humans?

I just assumed that their ravaged bodies needed exotic equipment to stay alive.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

THE BAR posted:

I just assumed that their ravaged bodies needed exotic equipment to stay alive.

Why are their bodies ravaged?

I actually imagine Turanics, Kushaan and Taidan to be human. Bentusi are definitely loving alien.

And Turanics might need the liquid membrade as a cushion for crazy ship maneuvers... and space bumpercars that you see in their introduction.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Loxbourne posted:

I always assumed they were very alien aliens. Or using a liquid environment as a G-cushion. Or both, even!

I always assumed liquid environment to cushion them against G-forces, but re-reading it, it seems to suggest that something's up with their biology.

Cataclysm Manual posted:

The vessel carries two crew seated back-to-back; a pilot facing forward and a weapons officer behind him, both supported by the liquid membrane environment needed by most Raiders.

"Needed" suggests that it's a matter of biology, not a matter of choice for this particular ship and its effects on them, but "most" seems to suggest that the raiders are composed of more than one species, some of which need it, and some which don't.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

That's weird, I assumed all Homeworld races were basically human.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

year199X posted:

It could be implying a few things. The first is that all Turanic Raiders are aliens. The second could be that Turanics are kind of fragile and need the liquid support so they can survive increased G-forces. Basically, if you have a liquid the same density as the body, the forces are evenly distributed and it becomes much more survivable.

EDIT: Also, I find it interesting that you're not using the carrier for your resourcing needs instead of the resource controller. The carrier has self-defense guns and the ability to build strike craft to support on an as-needed basis, as well as way more armor, and you already have the mothership as your 'base'.

MJ12 fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 25, 2014

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

JcDent posted:

Why are their bodies ravaged?

They're pirates. They live dangerous, filthy lives and are most likely addicted to all sorts of stuff.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I thought Homeworld is about sentient spaceships talking with each other.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Those containers at the beginning were just processors.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Bholder posted:

I thought Homeworld is about sentient spaceships talking with each other.

Is ... is it not...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

I always assumed liquid environment to cushion them against G-forces, but re-reading it, it seems to suggest that something's up with their biology.

I imagine a lifetime of flying around in space and enduring G-forces constantly is going to gently caress up your body quite a bit.

• Locked thread