Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've wondered if a hard ceiling for different movement types might help. I'm annoyed by how low the ceiling is for rotors, and it is made even worse by having thrusterbots able to fly way over the maximum height my heli can achieve.

It would probably mean getting rid of blimps as an option, but no longer use helium in determining height.

Make thrusters not count as a movement type.

Stick hovers in your thrusterbot, maximum altitude is locked to the same as just hovers.

Stick a wing on it, and once the wing is gone you are stuck on the ground, like a normal flyer.

Use no movement blocks aside from thrusters and you can bounce around on the ground, that's it.

No more high-altitude dancing deathbots without unfairly penalizing other vehicle types, except for the practically non-existent blimps (I haven't seen a blimp in forever).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Make plasmas so heavy that only treads can handle them. :haw:

Sair
May 11, 2007

I've been using a blimp for weeks now. It moves like a hover that can just fly away, great fun.

OG17
Oct 6, 2002

IF I AM TROLLING REPORT ME!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I've wondered if a hard ceiling for different movement types might help. I'm annoyed by how low the ceiling is for rotors, and it is made even worse by having thrusterbots able to fly way over the maximum height my heli can achieve.

It would probably mean getting rid of blimps as an option, but no longer use helium in determining height.

Make thrusters not count as a movement type.

Stick hovers in your thrusterbot, maximum altitude is locked to the same as just hovers.

Stick a wing on it, and once the wing is gone you are stuck on the ground, like a normal flyer.

Use no movement blocks aside from thrusters and you can bounce around on the ground, that's it.

No more high-altitude dancing deathbots without unfairly penalizing other vehicle types, except for the practically non-existent blimps (I haven't seen a blimp in forever).
These are nonsense rules and you'd accomplish the same goals by downgrading their ranged offense.

bimmian posted:

They're currently quick enough to fly in behind a group/individual and get within spitting distance, get a shot off and zoom away. Sure they would have to pick their battles a bit carefully, but it wouldn't remove the annoying part of them. A ground plasma would still be fodder for them because of how slow they (plasma weapons) track. Make it so that without rotors/wings/etc they have next to no accuracy at all... perhaps. I have a feeling that would be exploited in some fashion though.

Drones are defined by maneuverability (and not having obvious important things to shoot off), not speed. There's a lot of broad complaints here - "flank shoot run" applies to a ton of stuff, including hovers, and no poo poo ground plasma loses to air.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I really think this is the best way to do it, and they can just add a bomb-like version for fliers later.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

OG17 posted:

These are nonsense rules and you'd accomplish the same goals by downgrading their ranged offense.

Drones are defined by maneuverability (and not having obvious important things to shoot off), not speed. There's a lot of broad complaints here - "flank shoot run" applies to a ton of stuff, including hovers, and no poo poo ground plasma loses to air.

As much as they may be defined by maneuverability, and I'm not denying that, you can't just dismiss the speed aspect. As much as they can just dance around, they can make low altitude flyovers faster than any traditional aircraft. It's the combination of maneuverability and speed that makes them what they are. I don't think nor expect that plasma can/will fully counter air, but if a traditional aircraft comes anywhere near as close as a drone normally does then 4 times out of 5 I will shoot them out of the air.

quote:

"flank shoot run" applies to a ton of stuff, including hovers,

That's hardly comparable when discussing drones.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

OG17 posted:

Your avatar is highly appropriate.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

agree with this

give wings way more lift, so bombers still function

wingless drones won't have enough thrust to fly/maneuver when equipped with several plasma guns

that leaves only SMG drones, and that's fine really, they have to remain exposed to fire and they generally don't have the gun redundancy of ground vehicles

OG17
Oct 6, 2002

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Your avatar is highly appropriate.
Bringing drones into line doesn't mean destroying drones as a concept, good post though.

Actual nice news, devs are adding the new gamemode's base shields and the towers that turn them off in the same update instead of spacing them out, so no more weeks of camping inbetween. Also platoons are supposed to be fixed tomorrow? Lots of vague tweets about fliers too if you want a peek in his head, doesn't look like he's close to deciding. Really whatever happens I hope light T11-shielded thruster stuff like sandwiches and roach sleds stays viable, they're elegant concepts even if there's problems now.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

A weapon that could cast Cone of Slowness on the other team? That would help counter speedy devils, and add a new support role to help medics out.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Chard posted:

A weapon that could cast Cone of Slowness on the other team? That would help counter speedy devils, and add a new support role to help medics out.

They've got plans for different pilot types that provide buffs, but debuffs would be good. I wonder how the protective shield is going to interact with tesla blades, is it going to make them not lose charges or maybe not affect them at all? Why don't Teslas recharge over time in the first place?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

They've got plans for different pilot types that provide buffs, but debuffs would be good. I wonder how the protective shield is going to interact with tesla blades, is it going to make them not lose charges or maybe not affect them at all? Why don't Teslas recharge over time in the first place?

I wouldn't mind them not recharging if they didn't disappear from weapons fire. Each blade has like 1health but doesn't transfer damage. So a max level blade can only take three shots before it needs a medic to recharge it.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
Thrustersticks have to be dealt with somehow before the new mechanics are implemented. They'll completely dominate it otherwise, even beyond what they already do.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

OG17 posted:

Bringing drones into line doesn't mean destroying drones as a concept, good post though.

Actual nice news, devs are adding the new gamemode's base shields and the towers that turn them off in the same update instead of spacing them out, so no more weeks of camping inbetween. Also platoons are supposed to be fixed tomorrow? Lots of vague tweets about fliers too if you want a peek in his head, doesn't look like he's close to deciding. Really whatever happens I hope light T11-shielded thruster stuff like sandwiches and roach sleds stays viable, they're elegant concepts even if there's problems now.

I was posting from my phone at the time, and it seemed like you were defending the current state of affairs regarding thrustersticks. If that is not the case then I apologize.

Denzine posted:

Thrustersticks have to be dealt with somehow before the new mechanics are implemented. They'll completely dominate it otherwise, even beyond what they already do.

Agreed. At this point they are already unbalanced as hell, and if they can gain overclock cycles and power up they will basically end up in God mode before the end of the fight in the new meta.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I was posting from my phone at the time, and it seemed like you were defending the current state of affairs regarding thrustersticks. If that is not the case then I apologize.

Agreed. At this point they are already unbalanced as hell, and if they can gain overclock cycles and power up they will basically end up in God mode before the end of the fight in the new meta.

Haha, poo poo, I didn't even think about what overclock cycles would do to them. And with the home base shield providing healing, they have zero reason to ever die unless they're a terrible player.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

bimmian posted:

with the home base shield providing healing

:gonk:

Did not think of that. gently caress they need to be fixed.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
behold - my T7 railbot

The helium and jets make it light enough to climb any cliff. Once it's up there, it's profile is much smaller than a walker. The rails are at perfect height to shoot over the fixed walls.

Also comes in a super troll version

Giblet Plus! fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 27, 2015

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What tier wheels? Wanna steal that design.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
T-11 Plasma is in, it apparently fires in two volleys.

Also, the platoon system was apparently recoded, let's get some testing done on that.

No nerf to thruster sticks yet.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I mass invited a ton of people from the google docs thing, let's get this platoon thing going and if it's not-poo poo look into some voice comms maybe?

edit: Also they changed the hullbreach easter egg badge into generic robocraft holoflags. That blows.

bird food bathtub fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 27, 2015

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Manuel Calavera posted:

What tier wheels? Wanna steal that design.

T7 or T8

OG17
Oct 6, 2002

Thor-Stryker posted:

T-11 Plasma is in, it apparently fires in two volleys.

Hitting twice does a little more damage than one T10 plasma. Miss a shot from tracking or the crazy random timing or whatever and you hit like T7.5ish plasma (or one T11 smg shot) from a huge gun that (mistakenly?) has armor like T10 plasma. Costs 300 CPU too, 50 more than T11 smgs. Has anyone tried this yet?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I've got plenty of RP saved up to buy them but I'm traveling this weekend so I won't get to try them out for awhile. I'd be interested to hear a trip report as well.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

OG17 posted:

Hitting twice does a little more damage than one T10 plasma. Miss a shot from tracking or the crazy random timing or whatever and you hit like T7.5ish plasma (or one T11 smg shot) from a huge gun that (mistakenly?) has armor like T10 plasma. Costs 300 CPU too, 50 more than T11 smgs. Has anyone tried this yet?

I'll be building one tonight, 12m RP ready. I'm not sure how many I can actually fit though, haven't played mega enough to unlock the bigger garage. The mechanics sure sound interesting though, I wonder what the reasoning for going that direction was.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
12 shots carpeting an area sounds amazing though, I'm curious if it'll outright strip an enemy Megabot.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
Each shot is equivalent to a t8 plasma, and all plasmas were nerfed by 10%.

It's hot garbage.

Comparatively, I mean.

Plasma is still OP.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Can't really understand the design philosophy of a randomly timed second shot coming out. I imagine if you have six of them on a bot it'll be like POW... p-p-p-p-p-pow.

EngineerSean fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 28, 2015

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
First impression... I'm digging it. Well, the mechanics at least. We'll see about damage, haven't finished building the bot yet.

The secondary shots, while randomly timed, are close enough together to not really matter imo. What it lets you do though is lead targets, which will be fantastic. Quick video below showing what it looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzPKxeuX1qc

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hmm, can't seem to climb walls with the dickbot. Unlike my one wing front mounted one, odd. Maybe I built it wrong?

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Manuel Calavera posted:

Hmm, can't seem to climb walls with the dickbot. Unlike my one wing front mounted one, odd. Maybe I built it wrong?

Theres a 2nd set of T6 thrusters on the back. Also, 6+ heliums.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nope, still not doing it really. Here are my three cutaways so you can see where I've gone off.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
TX1 SMGs tear these things apart. You fight the same type of mega, but if any decent normal bot has TX1 SMGs, you'll have little to shoot with most of the time. A T10 shielded, 4x TX1 stick can take a gun out in 2 seconds, survive a full volley to the face and be able to fly away for a quick heal. Coming from someone who does a lot of disarming, I feel like I'm getting disarmed a lot faster than mega SMGs. I think part of it has to do with constant vs periodic damage. When you're fighting a SMG mega, everyone needs to dance in and out if you're anywhere near it's line of fire. With plasma, they can just sit there and unload for a few seconds. That's normally where plasmas would duck in and out, but these things aren't exactly nimble. Obviously placement is more limited with plasmas too, puts everything right on top.

Also it feels very weak. I can hit a group dead-on and maybe I'll do on average 10% damage to any of them. Sometimes everything lines up and/or the enemy bot is bad and you'll tear through someone, but not that often. Overall I'm doing about the same to less damage in a typical match than my T10 plasma. Aiming seems very off too, I'm always short compared to my T10. Going back and forth takes a bit of adjusting to.

bimmian fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 28, 2015

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

bimmian posted:

TX1 SMGs tear these things apart. You fight the same type of mega, but if any decent normal bot has TX1 SMGs, you'll have little to shoot with most of the time. A T10 shielded, 4x TX1 stick can take a gun out in 2 seconds, survive a full volley to the face and be able to fly away for a quick heal. Coming from someone who does a lot of disarming, I feel like I'm getting disarmed a lot faster than mega SMGs. I think part of it has to do with constant vs periodic damage. When you're fighting a SMG mega, everyone needs to dance in and out if you're anywhere near it's line of fire. With plasma, they can just sit there and unload for a few seconds. That's normally where plasmas would duck in and out, but these things aren't exactly nimble. Obviously placement is more limited with plasmas too, puts everything right on top.

Also it feels very weak. I can hit a group dead-on and maybe I'll do on average 10% damage to any of them. Sometimes everything lines up and/or the enemy bot is bad and you'll tear through someone, but not that often. Overall I'm doing about the same to less damage in a typical match than my T10 plasma. Aiming seems very off too, I'm always short compared to my T10. Going back and forth takes a bit of adjusting to.

I think part of it has to do with constant vs periodic damage. When you're fighting a SMG mega, everyone needs to dance in and out if you're anywhere in it's line of fire. With plasma, they can just sit there and unload. That's normally where plasmas would duck in and out, but these things aren't exactly nimble.

You uhh... repeated yourself with that entire last paragraph.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

RosaParksOfDip posted:

You uhh... repeated yourself with that entire last paragraph.

A stray ctrl+v gone unnoticed.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Just another day in Robocraft. Like the last one. And the one before that. And the one before that.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
Yup

Sair
May 11, 2007

Aces Over Mars

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The only bots I have that are really capable of doing significant damage to a thrusterstick are my megabots and my railbot. My plasma heli can occasionally, but since the thrusterbots can hit a higher altitude than I can it makes it that much more difficult. They desperately need to do something to defang the drat thrustersticks and make the proper methods of flying become the norm.

Speaking of movement problems, they also need to make the walker legs perform better. It is maddening to climb up on top of the ridge around a map, only to keep coming to dead stops in the little ravines and gullies of the landscape. Legs require a lot of CPU, space, and are fragile as hell - making them also incapable of shifting from one surface to another, deadstopping on any obstacle, and auto-walking downhill is adding insult to injury.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
What they need to add is strafing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Just spitballing, how about If you don't have wings or helicopter rotors or something thrusters alone should do what hovers do above a really low altitude, just stop providing lift. Thruster sticks zooming around with teslas I'm OK with but if you want to get into the skies you should have to use something to provide flight

• Locked thread