Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

psychopomp posted:

Walkchat: Walking is a vital part of my writing process, and like Evil Mastermind, I spent a lot less time out walking around over the winter.
I started doing daily walks last year when my doctor told me I had to get my weight down (I'm pre-diabetic), and I had a good dietitian who suggested just walking half an hour a day would really help. This was last winter, so I started by just walking in place in my apartment at night. Then the weather got good and I was able to walk outside, then when winter rolled around again I just didn't get back to doing the walk-in-place thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

DFO looks cool but i barely have gaming time lately for a mmo outside of holidays...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I play Diablo 3 and I like using the permanent Barbarian Ancients to walk around and pretend I'm a Warlord with 3 other players doing all my directed strikes for me.

On a completely unrelated note, is it at all an original idea to use certain "breakpoints" in a d20 roll to denote varying degrees of success rather than straight binary resolution? If you pass the Hard DC, you get more than just what you were aiming for. If you pass the Medium DC, you succeed plainly. If you pass the Easy DC, you succeed with a cost. Anything less is a complete miss. Obviously this would still need some refinement insofar as some actions might need to be Hard just to succeed at.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

I play Diablo 3 and I like using the permanent Barbarian Ancients to walk around and pretend I'm a Warlord with 3 other players doing all my directed strikes for me.

On a completely unrelated note, is it at all an original idea to use certain "breakpoints" in a d20 roll to denote varying degrees of success rather than straight binary resolution? If you pass the Hard DC, you get more than just what you were aiming for. If you pass the Medium DC, you succeed plainly. If you pass the Easy DC, you succeed with a cost. Anything less is a complete miss. Obviously this would still need some refinement insofar as some actions might need to be Hard just to succeed at.

13th Age has standardized DC's per tier that are pretty similar to what your talking about.

Edit: Actually reread your idea abs they're not much like that at all. But I like what you're saying, and might try that out.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Oh, like this?

Personally, that's an idea that recently crept into my design head-space since playing Into The Odd. i.e. What if you went the opposite way from ITO and only made a to hit roll with success tiers?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DalaranJ posted:

Oh, like this?

Personally, that's an idea that recently crept into my design head-space since playing Into The Odd. i.e. What if you went the opposite way from ITO and only made a to hit roll with success tiers?

Something like that, yes.

It was sort of born out of Standardized DCs: they're great for quickly being able to determine "oh hey this is a pretty Easy task so the level 2 player needs to roll a 9 beat it", but then it occurred to me that if the player rolls high enough to beat a Hard DC then perhaps they should get something more out of it. All the more if it's a general "search" and you want degrees of success to determine how much important information was found or how long it took to find.

Also, Adventure Fantasy Game from the author of that link is a cool game and I want to do an F&F review of it sometime.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Fading Suns had a blackjack style dice resolution mechanic. Rolling higher is better, as long as you don't roll over your target, which is skill&statąsituational modifiers. I think 1 was automatic but boring success, 20 was automatic failure, unless you had high skill, and I think getting target exactly doubled degree of success.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Loki_XLII posted:

13th Age has standardized DC's per tier that are pretty similar to what your talking about.

Edit: Actually reread your idea abs they're not much like that at all. But I like what you're saying, and might try that out.

Had a GM that basically treated the 13th Age standardization like degrees of success. So, if it was a normal DC of 20, he'd go 20/25/30 for degrees of info/benefit/etc. Think it worked pretty well after the first few levels when the bonuses for stat+level bonus were outdoing the background bonus.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Rockopolis posted:

Fading Suns had a blackjack style dice resolution mechanic. Rolling higher is better, as long as you don't roll over your target, which is skill&statąsituational modifiers. I think 1 was automatic but boring success, 20 was automatic failure, unless you had high skill, and I think getting target exactly doubled degree of success.

If I remember right, it had also had a mechanic that allowed you to take greater risks on a test in order to get a better success, or vice versa, playing it safe but limiting your potential maximum success.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is pretty much exactly the core mechanic of Some Heartbreaker, which I have been pontificating about on these forums for several years. Although the threads are archived, I have most of the discussion saved in google docs on the site: https://sites.google.com/site/someheartbreaker/downloads

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Since we were talking about MMOs a while back, Guild Wars 2 is only :tenbux: this weekend, and there's no monthly fee.

http://buy.guildwars2.com/store/gw2/en_US/html/pbPage.buyguildwars2?cid=89:5::::Global:40::

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Don't you have to buy any of the story content for later levels in GW2? The Living World system or whatever? I remember that looking really dumb and extremely unappealing.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
man now i want to reinstall tsw again

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

sentrygun posted:

Don't you have to buy any of the story content for later levels in GW2? The Living World system or whatever? I remember that looking really dumb and extremely unappealing.

Far as I know, you only buy access to later campaigns which, if they stick with the GW1 formula, won't raise the overall level, but will introduce new skills and maybe some new classes and mechanics. Rather than buying a subscription, you just buy into the major updates if you want more of what you've been served so far.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

sentrygun posted:

Not that I've ever seen, no.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
You unlock new installments of the Living Story for free by logging in while they're live (generally they stay live for two weeks to a month). If you miss an installment, you have to pay gems to unlock it.

I suspect it's less of a "get gems out of new players" mechanism than it is a "keep old players logging in semi-regularly" mechanism.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

gradenko_2000 posted:

It was sort of born out of Standardized DCs: they're great for quickly being able to determine "oh hey this is a pretty Easy task so the level 2 player needs to roll a 9 beat it", but then it occurred to me that if the player rolls high enough to beat a Hard DC then perhaps they should get something more out of it. All the more if it's a general "search" and you want degrees of success to determine how much important information was found or how long it took to find.

In conclusion, not so much an original idea as an idea that's time has come. I think it flows pretty clearly from related ideas, you should totally design something with it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Why is it round the wrong way?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

chaos rhames posted:

Why is it round the wrong way?

All the best fantasy setting maps are Earth countries moved around a bit.

Normal Girl Mania Island is a nice place but I wouldn't want to live there.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ettin posted:

Normal Girl Mania Island is a nice place but I wouldn't want to live there.

The warhammer map is cool because on it I'd live on Tarantula coast, where the vampires and lizardmen live.

Also canada and the usa is the Dark Elf land lol

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Port Augusta can't be THAT bad, can it, I mean aside from it appearing to be a suburb of Adelaide.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Aw c'mon that ain't even trying.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Imagine living in Sentinel Reach, you need to cross the country if you want to know what time it is

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

BOOKWORLD and CITY 5 CONFLAGRATION still make me laugh really loving hard.

Also the map of Pillars of Eternity kinda looks like it lol god bless rope kid.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I'm glad there's a trunk line across empty desert that stops halfway to a bunch of ruins, and not to the perfectly placed city on actual grass.

"Capital"

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Why isn't The Sentinel Beach actually on the beach?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Loki_XLII posted:

Why isn't The Sentinel Beach actually on the beach?

It says "Sentinel Reach," not "Sentinel Beach."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Roll20 released data on what games get played on their platform.

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I bet there's enough Zybourne Clock (fan) material to make a viable FAE one-shot.

Dec 26, 2012

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

The warhammer map is cool because on it I'd live on Tarantula coast, where the vampires and lizardmen live.

Also canada and the usa is the Dark Elf land lol

Not anymore, they ain't.

Because GW blew that world up.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Evil Mastermind posted:

Since we were talking about MMOs a while back, Guild Wars 2 is only :tenbux: this weekend, and there's no monthly fee.

http://buy.guildwars2.com/store/gw2/en_US/html/pbPage.buyguildwars2?cid=89:5::::Global:40::

Whoa thanks for this.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ettin posted:

The world map for my first D&D campaign was the Tabula Rogeriana, which is basically a map of Europe, Asia and North Africa turned upside down. Mapped some broad Earth culture equivalents onto that in the usual West-to-East configuration and called it a day.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Zephirum posted:

I bet there's enough Zybourne Clock (fan) material to make a viable FAE one-shot.

The fan material is honestly more entertaining and more interesting than a lot what PBRH actually ended up "designing" through the patented "nothing but cooks" method.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Now post the city maps and the steam farm and the steam bar.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fuego Fish posted:

The fan material is honestly more entertaining and more interesting than a lot what PBRH actually ended up "designing" through the patented "nothing but cooks" method.

The steam hologram, a terrible road let her here and the other concept drawings were epic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

The steam hologram, a terrible road let her here and the other concept drawings were epic.

• Locked thread