Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Sleeveless posted:

Wikis are amazing. Last time I had to go on the Terraria wiki it advised me that the cell phone item is actually a reference to Kirby & The Amazing Mirror because it too had a cell phone in it.

The Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader page on Wookiepedia is almost 100,000 words long which is longer than like half the novels in the English canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Real hurthling! posted:

did you wait until she was recovered? you have to wait the whole time limit for saving her if you get her early

Yeah it was during Kanji's captured thing.

I wound up doing stuff with Marie.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Taint Reaper posted:

Yeah it was during Kanji's captured thing.

I wound up doing stuff with Marie.

yukiko generally waits for you by the shoe lockers at the front entrance of the school more often than in town in my experience.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Real hurthling! posted:

yukiko generally waits for you by the shoe lockers at the front entrance of the school more often than in town in my experience.

I checked by the Lockers she wasn't there

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Taint Reaper posted:

I checked by the Lockers she wasn't there

sucks

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Finished Guacamelee. Darned good game, though some of those platforming challenges were utter bastards near the end, jesus. Got a bad ending though, I assume you get better by beating it on Hard, but ehn.

Now on to either Axiom Verge or Environmental Station Alpha or Valdis Story :)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

some of those platforming challenges were utter bastards near the end, jesus.

told ya

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Luckily the checkpointing in the game was hypertolerant (usually) and among bullshit challenges platforming ones are probably the ones I can best adapt to / find least frustrating

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

Luckily the checkpointing in the game was hypertolerant (usually) and among bullshit challenges platforming ones are probably the ones I can best adapt to / find least frustrating

yeah its one of those games that gently puts you back at the last place you touched before falling.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ciaphas posted:

Finished Guacamelee. Darned good game, though some of those platforming challenges were utter bastards near the end, jesus. Got a bad ending though, I assume you get better by beating it on Hard, but ehn.
No, you need to get pieces of this mask throughout the game, which are usually behind some real twitch platforming stuff. Personally I think the bad ending is better than the good one.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Playing through Twilight Princess again got me thinking. Are there any "Zelda clones" out there? Metroidvanias are kind of a dime-a-dozen these days so I'm wondering if anything really captures that ol' Zelda formula in the same way.

All I can think of is Okami and Darksiders.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mak0rz posted:

Playing through Twilight Princess again got me thinking. Are there any "Zelda clones" out there? Metroidvanias are kind of a dime-a-dozen these days so I'm wondering if anything really captures that ol' Zelda formula in the same way.

alundra on ps1

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
Alundra on PSX is a good ALTTP clone if that's your thing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mak0rz posted:

the binding of isaac

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Real hurthling! posted:

she waits on the first floor on school days, on vacations she's in town

same with everyone in your party. the only one i remember off hand is chie waitng on the roof on school days and by the armorer the rest of the time

also lol at the guy who only played two thirds of the game giving advice

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Real hurthling! posted:

alundra on ps1

fruitpunch posted:

Alundra on PSX is a good ALTTP clone if that's your thing.

Oh I forgot about Alundra! One of those games I've always meant to check out. Thanks for the suggestion :cheers:

precision posted:

the binding of isaac

In the same way that Rogue Legacy is a Metroidvania? No thanks...

I guess Wonderboy 6 / Monster World 4 counts as a Zelda 2 clone but I wasn't going in that direction.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i wasn't saying the binding of isaac is good. in fact i think it's terrible and can't really take people who love it seriously. i guess its just not for me!

there are some good zelda-likes on 3/DS but gently caress if i can remember their names. well Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime is one

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I never played through Rise's part in Persona 4.

Yeah I'm done with Yukiko I think, Risette supremacy from here on out.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Whatever people say about persona 4, the music is golden

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Literally The Worst posted:

also lol at the guy who only played two thirds of the game giving advice

maxed my team SL

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
I got to the teddy fight but stopped, I have a vita tv with p4g, just never have a chance to play it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

theultimo posted:

I got to the teddy fight but stopped, I have a vita tv with p4g, just never have a chance to play it.

the model they used for the final form is really awesome.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ciaphas posted:

Now on to either Axiom Verge or Environmental Station Alpha or Valdis Story :)

Did you play Gold of Super Turbo? I thought Super Turbo's extra content was really fun except for the teleporting enemies that break the flow of the game, which is one of those cases of loving with a perfect formula until you ruin it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

theultimo posted:

Whatever people say about persona 4, the music is golden

naoto-kun beats the poo poo out of chie-chan

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

In the same way that Rogue Legacy is a Metroidvania? No thanks...

i dont understand this pos tbecause roguelegacy owns

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i'm worried about you stux, you've been posting some pretty sane things lately

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Did you play Gold of Super Turbo? I thought Super Turbo's extra content was really fun except for the teleporting enemies that break the flow of the game, which is one of those cases of loving with a perfect formula until you ruin it.

Super Turbo but I hadn't played any other version so I dunno what's actually new :shobon:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

About 20 minute or so into Axiom Verge now and I can kinda see what the detractors have against it

But I like the style and feel of it so I'ma keep playing anyway and just bust out ye olde google when I'm stuck

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Stux posted:

i dont understand this pos tbecause roguelegacy owns

Oh it does, don't get me wrong! I just foolishly went into it not expecting any roguelike mechanics. I actually thought it was a Castlevania clone because I was too dumb to read a single word about it before playing.

Once I got the hang of it I started to like it more.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mak0rz posted:

Oh I forgot about Alundra! One of those games I've always meant to check out. Thanks for the suggestion :cheers:
I'm getting near the end, just bear in mind it's a looong game, you'll be playing it for a while. Most zelda games have 8 dungeons, this game has close to 20. It is very Zelda though.

Make sure to use save points as frequently as you can so you don't lose lots of progress (they're usually around the center of a dungeon rather than at the end, although some dungeons do provide shortcuts to get to the end from the save point).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ciaphas posted:

Super Turbo but I hadn't played any other version so I dunno what's actually new :shobon:

That whole underground city, and the 3-headed boss, that poo poo's all new. So's the volcano. The enemies I refer to are the black boned ones that vanish while you combo them, which I really think breaks the flow of combat and are a misstep. The intenso meter is also new. It's a lot of new content!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Super Turbo also balanced the game more because Gold had some ridiculous difficulty spikes.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Huh, I wouldn't really have guessed the Intensometer wasn't in the original, I felt like I genuinely needed that thing during a couple of the later fights

Also I know a lot of people :rolleyes:d at the callouts and somewhat memetic nature of some of the dialog but I thought some of it was quite funny :shobon:

(but then I also busted a gut at Juan getting the No Power upgrade and raising his fist to the skies raging at an uncaring god, so y'know, sense of humor might be underdeveloped)

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
Started P4G just to see what's different and Jesus, Thos is definitely a much better version than the ps2. I feel sorry for anyone playing the other version.

He'll, you can get a PlayStation tv and the game for the price of a new AAA title.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The PS2 version though has Chie sounding like a 40 year old midwestern mom

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Ciaphas posted:

Huh, I wouldn't really have guessed the Intensometer wasn't in the original, I felt like I genuinely needed that thing during a couple of the later fights

Also I know a lot of people :rolleyes:d at the callouts and somewhat memetic nature of some of the dialog but I thought some of it was quite funny :shobon:

(but then I also busted a gut at Juan getting the No Power upgrade and raising his fist to the skies raging at an uncaring god, so y'know, sense of humor might be underdeveloped)

gently caress that, that poo poo was hilarious! :hfive:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ciaphas posted:

Guacamelee so far feels less like a metroidvania and more like a brawler with the odd hidden collectible

Which I guess is okay but it's not what I expected really, or was shooting for with catching up on metroid-likes :v:

Environmental Station Alpha

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Taint Reaper posted:

I think I'm like almost to the end of disc one. There's a whole load of backtracking.

the backtracking gets worse and worse over the whole game because it never closes off old areas, so in the last areas you can sometimes be forced to walk across the entire game world to get an item

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Quest For Glory II posted:

The PS2 version though has Chie sounding like a 40 year old midwestern mom

I still own both versions because of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Odin Sphere: Liefdrasir

That's quite a bit of new stuff added. I certainly don't remember Velvet having a command grab.

• Locked thread