Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Bhodi posted:

I have a pick of the core, but I see stuff like 'infused' in the list - basically, I need an alien or post-alien pick rather than a supra-diamond.

A weapon might be nice, too - I have an osmotic enchanter and had to ditch modular tools because none of them could be enchanted, so I'm using a plain bow with arrows. Thing is, most of the game has centered around them so I'm not really sure what I can replace them with (other than a wand with a shock focus, which I'll be doing once I unlock a decent wand type)

Oh, how do you make blighted crystals? I think I need those to make a tainted wand core.

Excavation focus can mine anything, same an equal trade focus. Also you don't need to wait to get a better wand to get your foci - foci can be swapped on and off wands with the press of a hotkey ('F' by default). Since you have an energized node to charge with, a gold-capped greatwood wand is plenty good enough to start living the foci life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Blind Duke posted:

And don't worry about brains in jars to store levels, enchanting a sword with the educational enchantment will get you an absurd amount of the stuff

If you want you could just jar an ignis node and energize it next to the furnace. That way you don't have to keep filling jars.

For reference, a Gaia Guardian will get you ~40 levels without any enchants on a sword. 40 levels is 2920 XP

With Educational 5 it will get you around EIGHTY levels, which is ~18020 XP

So yeah, Educational 5 roughly sextuples your XP gain. Though until you're ready to start doing Gaia Guardian, a brain in a jar is really nice. And nice to have after, too! It's really annoying to have like 60 levels and start trying to upgrade a wand focus and waste a ton of XP using expensive levels. The Amnesiac Stone with a bunch of Brains in Jars helps a lot with it, you can dump all your xp into brains, pull out just enough XP for level 8, then enough for 16, etc etc. Doing a 1-5 set of enchants is 120 levels, and if you do that efficiently then its ~5600 XP, if you tried to get to level 120 then do it, it'd be 47000 XP. Brains in Jars are really nice, and they pair perfectly with the Amnesiac's Stone (by design, I imagine).

We've got a little XP shrine of an Amnesiac's Stone surrounded by ~15 Brains in Jars. Pretty much just go boop brains for levels whenever we're doing wand foci, then if they're empty, someone mauls the Gaia Guardian (both Gaia Guardian 1 and 2 give the same amount of XP, from what I can tell) and refills it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

e:f;b

Bhodi posted:

I have a pick of the core, but I see stuff like 'infused' in the list - basically, I need an alien or post-alien pick rather than a supra-diamond.

just make an excavation focus, it'll mine anything, ignoring material hardness

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

By the way, what kind of mana output will I need to drive an orechid?

Orechids can use a tooon of mana. 17,500 mana every 5 seconds, an Endoflame spits out 30 mana per second. So 3500 mana per second, which is over a hundred Endoflames.

If you want to do Orechids, you need to get into the heavy duty flowers. My advice would be to use your tree farm to get AE2 up and off the ground, set up a second tree farm, make a couple Munchdews, and harvest the second tree farm with an MFR Harvester set to sheer leaves. It'll take ~240 RF per leaf, but Munchdews produce 160 mana per leaf they eat, and the mana:RF conversion is 10:1 so you'll get 1600 mana per leaf eaten. Even assuming some really high AE overhead, you'll get like a thousand extra RF per leaf eaten. And they eat really fast, around a leaf per tick, so you'll be producing like 2000 extra mana, or 20k RF, per second.

Two munchdews, properly fed, will readily power an orechid!

Glory of Arioch posted:

e:f;b

just make an excavation focus, it'll mine anything, ignoring material hardness

:agreed: but core picks are still worth having around, as far as I can tell, the right click finds tech metal and quartz and nothing else, so if you clean up any of the ore caches with a few dawn totems and go raid them with a core pick, you'll walk away with tons of tech metal. Just be sure to not mine tin or copper with the core pick - their native clusters are bugged and only give 1 ingot when smelted in a regular furnace (redstone furnace and pulverizer both work fine though) and they can't be put into a Tinker's Construct smeltery, so if you don't have a tech setup going yet you will get screwed out of ingots by getting native clusters.

Magres fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 9, 2015

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Magres posted:

How does this work? I feel like I'm missing something. Is there some kind of cool down time on them or do they just need a ton of throughput?

I've got 4 munchdews going through one dreamwood spreader, and sometimes it's totally full and other times it's empty. Or is there a better way to extract mana than a spreader? This is my first time diving into Botania and the lack of numbers listed for anything makes it tough to tell where my bottlenecks are. I'd post pics but I'm at work.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

ImpactVector posted:

How does this work? I feel like I'm missing something. Is there some kind of cool down time on them or do they just need a ton of throughput?

I've got 4 munchdews going through one dreamwood spreader, and sometimes it's totally full and other times it's empty. Or is there a better way to extract mana than a spreader? This is my first time diving into Botania and the lack of numbers listed for anything makes it tough to tell where my bottlenecks are. I'd post pics but I'm at work.

Whenever they don't have leaves available to eat, they go onto a cooldown, sounds like your bottleneck is leaf production. Also a perfectly fed Munchdew will max out a Gaia spreader, so you need to make some more Dreamwoods and put Potency lenses on them or you'll hit a bottleneck there.

Magres fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 9, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

ImpactVector posted:

the munchdew gimmick is that you have to constantly give it leaves all the time, if you run out then the flower goes through a cooldown period where it does nothing

it also drops no saplings when eating leaves so you have to have an auxiliary treefarm for generating the saplings

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Magres posted:

Orechids can use a tooon of mana. 17,500 mana every 5 seconds, an Endoflame spits out 30 mana per second. So 3500 mana per second, which is over a hundred Endoflames.

If you want to do Orechids, you need to get into the heavy duty flowers. My advice would be to use your tree farm to get AE2 up and off the ground, set up a second tree farm, make a couple Munchdews, and harvest the second tree farm with an MFR Harvester set to sheer leaves. It'll take ~240 RF per leaf, but Munchdews produce 160 mana per leaf they eat, and the mana:RF conversion is 10:1 so you'll get 1600 mana per leaf eaten. Even assuming some really high AE overhead, you'll get like a thousand extra RF per leaf eaten. And they eat really fast, around a leaf per tick, so you'll be producing like 2000 extra mana, or 20k RF, per second.

Oh that's not so bad. That's something like 5 stories of 5x5 endoflames. It would imply needed two infernal furnaces, and it would assume I can make one log roughly per second. I can't do that now, but I assume I can with growth enhancements. I'll set up another farm opposite the current one and have that preserve leaf blocks once I make some munchdews. I was going to ask if I needed to upgrade my mana infrastructure, but the subsequent replies imply that I will have to do this. What I still need to know is if there's a way to move the mana pools I've built without losing their contents. I have some stuff sitting in the work area where I'd set up a second farm.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
Ah, that makes a lot more sense then. I guess my MFR block placer isn't fast enough. And it was definitely a mistake to add more dews. I'll bring it down to one and see if I can sustain that (probably not, I'm lead-poor and too lazy to transmute more so I've been using EU transfer nodes/pipes, which aren't the fastest things around).

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Does anyone else have a problem where your wand will not recharge until you break and replace the charge relay?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Yes, vis relays are awful and buggy pieces of poo poo. If you try to relay vis across a chunk boundary it will break constantly, even when chunkloaded. Also even within the same chunk the graphics for the links will bug out and disappear (but they'll still actually be linked), making it even worse.

Your best option is to do a vis relay interface from thaumic energistics and just use cabling to pipe things through to wherever you want to go, to an arcane crafting terminal - you can toss your wand in it and it'll charge, and you don't have to worry about vis relays breaking for the umpteenth time. Thaumic Energistics really just includes a giant pile of often badly needed quality of life improvements for Thaumcraft

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ariong posted:

Does anyone else have a problem where your wand will not recharge until you break and replace the charge relay?

yeah, vis relays are super buggy and do not like to stay connected, I have to reconnect them all the time

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

So, any tips about how to get started on Botania? I've used it before, I just can't seem to find the right flowers to get started generating mana. I've heard good things about a floating city, can someone point me in that direction?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I wrote a crash course for Blightfall Botania done easy, it's on the first page.

Short version is go for the flowers you need for a Jaded Amaranthus, loot the Dayblooms that are in the little lab behind the waterfall, use them to power the Amaranthus to get all 16 kinds of flowers, and AWAY WE GO!

Long version:

Magres posted:

Okay so time for the Blightfall Botania crash course post I've been meaning to make: SPOILERS AHEAD

Botania in Blightfall is hard to get started. If you don't know Botania already when you start, it's semi-impossible to get into it until you're very far along in the game, and even then it's not an easy mod to get into in Blightfall. This, in my opinion, is partly because Botania is the only reliable source of industrial power (ie Redstone Flux) in Blightfall, which makes it an extremely valuable mod because several other mods are semi-gated behind getting a good Botania setup going. The trick to circumventing most of this issue is the Jaded Amaranthus flower. When fed mana, it makes flowers of all colors spontaneously erupt from the ground around in a 9x9 square centered on the Jaded Amaranthus. However, making it requires mana, as does powering it, so you first need a form of power generation.

The easiest way of getting started with power generation, by far, is to loot some Dayblooms. There's a stash of them in the little lab behind the waterfall at Waterfall Lake along with a bunch of language samples you'll want later. After that, you'll need to go find Green, Lime, and Purple flowers.

Lime - the flying island west of the Obsidian Tower. I think they're near the teleport point up there, though I'm not positive. Look for the purple, blue, and teal splotch on the map to see where the teleport point is.
Green - In the village on the east end of the Jungle biome, around 730, 1450. Be ready to suicide dive for these, getting past tainted swarms and tainted guards is pretty tough
Purple - West by Southwest of the teleport point on the flying island in the Northwest corner of the map. Not that bad to get to, though there's probably at least one blighted wizard hanging around

Mind you, you'll also see some white flowers hanging around with these guys - make sure you grab those, Pure Daisies are critical to progressing in Botania, and it's extremely hard to get the ingredients to make them before you have a Jaded Amaranthus.

Once you've got that, the rest is pretty straightforward. Raid towns for enough language samples to translate the Lexica Botania (there a Lexica with the Dayblooms, as well as a bunch of language samples). Once you've got the Lexica Botania, a Jaded Amaranthus, and some mana generation, you have everything you need to get rolling with Botania! Honestly translating the Lexica Botania is semi-optional for a while if you really, really know Botania or are exceptionally good with google, wikis, and NEI, but Botania has probably the best in-game documentation of any mod in existence, so you may as well take advantage of it.

Once you've got Dayblooms and an Amaranthus you're good to go, though a Lexica helps enormously.

E: Updated the crash course w/ the better Lexica spot, thanks guys!

Magres fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 9, 2015

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Can't you get a lexica from the same place you get the dayblooms? I could have sworn there was a bookshelf there that held an untranslated lexicum.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I have full dawn totems, and have reached MFR LAser level, yet I still don't have skystone.

What. The. gently caress.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You are right, there's an untranslated lexicon where you think it is.

Turtlicious posted:

So I have full dawn totems, and have reached MFR LAser level, yet I still don't have skystone.

What. The. gently caress.

:wtc: How did you skip over the massive meteors that stick out like sore thumbs on the map?

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
There is one near every dome... on alpha it is to the north of the dome, not even as far away as the Marble Shrine to the south.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sage Grimm posted:

You are right, there's an untranslated lexicon where you think it is.

:wtc: How did you skip over the massive meteors that stick out like sore thumbs on the map?

Zebrin posted:

There is one near every dome... on alpha it is to the north of the dome, not even as far away as the Marble Shrine to the south.

What? I have never seen these things, can someone post a picture with coordinates?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Quick EC2 Bootstrap.

You need:

Thaum Research: Alchemy tab, alchemical duplication (off of tallow). Energistics tab, Crystal duplication.
Alchemical Furnace + Thaumatorium to make essentia and duplicate items

1 stack skystone (to start the quest and get the 4 initial imprinters)
2 glowstone (thaum duplicated Lux+Sensus (bonemeal, torch))
1 stack certus crystal (thaum duplicated, Aqua+Vitreus (water bottle))

10 raw rubber (for sticky pistons, can also use glue or slimes)
2-3 stacks of nether quartz (more the better) easiest mined/found with a core pick in the desert
16-32 gold ingots
1 charged certus crystal
2 stacks redstone
1 stack sand
1 stack of glass
2-4 diamonds
A pulverizer
Any furnace
5 hoppers (optional)

You also need a hardened power cell and willingness to recharge it with supply, or some other power generation already set up - you'll go through 250/sec while everything's on, plus something like 250 per crystal growth, which isn't hideous, it'll take between 30 mins and two hours to deplete a hardened energy cell depending on draw, but you can just put a pressure plate next to it to turn off your AE setup when you aren't standing there. Make sure you do this step or you're going to forget and lose all your power.

You're only going to need 1-2 pure crystals at first, but you might as well make a bunch. If you have more power than time you can power through and build accelerators. If not, you'll need to grow the crystals slowly over a few hours.

Take half your certus stock and nether quartz and pulverize it into dust. Take anywhere between 2 (if you're low) and half of your certus dust and combine it with sand to make seeds. Throw those seeds into a block of water. Now wait 2 hours for them to mature or read below and make up to 4 accelerators. This cycle should be repeated any time you're low on pure certus crystals, you're going to need 1-2 each for advanced devices like the crafting terminal and 4k ME drives.

Put half your nether dust in a furnace to make silicon. Throw a redstone, charged certus and nether dust into a water block. Make a "Charger" from the 2 fluix crystals and hook it up. Put half your remaining regular certus crystal into it one at a time and make them charged. It takes about 3-4 seconds per crystal, just watch the tooltip. Now, make half a stack of fluix crystals by throwing 16 redstone, 16 nether dust, 16 charged certus into a water block. From those crystals, make an energy acceptor and optionally 1-4 Crystal Growth accelerators. They speed up growth in adjacent water blocks and accept ME cables from above/below so you can surround one water block with 4 of them and make it take 2 minutes instead of 2 hours for a pure crystal.

When you've got at least one pure crystal, you've now got all the raw mats to complete the quests; use NEI and make 5 inscribers and an energy acceptor. These can draw power direct from fluxducts; all other things will use power from me glass cables from the acceptor. Stick one inscriber press into each inscriber and a hopper leading into one side (I used the left).

If you have a lot of mats and more than one pure crystal, load the hoppers as follows:

Redstone -> Blank inscriber
Silicon from the furnace -> Silicon Press
Gold ingot -> Logic Press
Diamond -> Engineering Press
Pure Certus Quartz -> Calculation Press

If not, just load up the redstone, silicon and gold and a single diamond. Once they start coming out, use the blank press to combine silicon with the other 3 types of circuits.

Use NEI to complete the quest, you have all the raw materials needed. Once it's done, also craft a "Crafting Terminal" and either 1k or 4k storage (pure crystals and gold permitting) for your ME drives. 4ks are made from 3 1ks so as you get more crystals just remove them from the housing and upgrade them.

You now have a barebones ME setup!

You might want to EC2 your thaum setup at this point! You can sneak by without a controller if you're frugal. You only get 8 devices, so I'd suggest at bare minimum:

Arcane Crafting Terminal
ME Drive containing ME Cells and Essentia Cells
Infusion Provider (Near Infusion Altar)
Essentia Import bus (Alchemical Furnace essentia out)
ME Import Bus (Thaumatorium mats out)
Essentia Provider (Thumatorium essentia in)

And you have two extra to pick between either another normal crafting terminal, your alchemical furnace fuel, mats in, thaumatorium mats in, an infernal furnace vis relay, or a separate ME drive array for essentia.

Once you get a Controller, you can go past 8 devices. Optionally, you can also have a separate AE setup just for your thaumcraft.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 9, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Can't you skip doing pure crystals if you're willing to just eat the material efficiency hit?

I hate growing crystals, afaik the only thing that requires them is the controller

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Sadly no, it's everything that uses a calculation processor - so crafting terminals, 4k cells, energy storage cells, upgrade cards, and wireless access points.

Controller uses engineering, so it's diamond not pure crystal.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Magres posted:

Can't you skip doing pure crystals if you're willing to just eat the material efficiency hit?

I hate growing crystals, afaik the only thing that requires them is the controller
You need them for calculation processors, which are needed for storage cells bigger than 1k.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
With 4 accells it takes only around 2 minutes to grow crystals and you can have as many in one pool of water as you want (I think...)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
That's fair. I was more :crossarms: at using unaccelerated crystal growth to get started because I am incredibly impatient in Minecraft, but to each their own

Skuzal
Oct 21, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

What? I have never seen these things, can someone post a picture with coordinates?

The meteors usually look like this. This is the one next to dome beta, coordinates are 320x 1537z. The other ones that I have found are at 895x 2050z, 1280x 1800z and a tiny one at 864x 769z.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Magres posted:

That's fair. I was more :crossarms: at using unaccelerated crystal growth to get started because I am incredibly impatient in Minecraft, but to each their own

crystal growth accelerators use fluix blocks, which take either 4 normal fluix crystals or 8 pure ones, so it's not like you need to sperg too hard about maximizing material efficiency to get started

i don't bother with much of anything else (other than a charger) before i get 2-5 accelerators online

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
I've tried every button on my keyboard. How do I disable the display of my item count/armor durability in the upper left? I just can't find it and there's no key I can see for it in the controls menu.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Edwhirl posted:

I've tried every button on my keyboard. How do I disable the display of my item count/armor durability in the upper left? I just can't find it and there's no key I can see for it in the controls menu.

To change that you have to go into Mod Options and modify the ArmorGUI settings, iirc.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
So from what I can tell the block placer is waaaaay too slow for even a single munchdew. The work cycle time just can't keep it fed. Looks like it's time to digitize my tree farm.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

This is what happens when you decide you need another dozen Ichor wands

Shot midfight, Taffer had already killed like 8 by the time I finished summoning them all because they were pinballing me around like crazy

Magres fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 10, 2015

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Magres posted:

This is what happens when you decide you need another dozen Ichor wands

Shot midfight, Taffer had already killed like 8 by the time I finished summoning them all because they were pinballing me around like crazy

Wait. Are you growing heads?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Demiurge4 posted:

Wait. Are you growing heads?

Prepping withers to fight, I think.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Nah, I just pre-placed all but one block of each Wither then ran down the line finishing them.

Also shot from Taffer midfight

We had a good time

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

SugarAddict posted:

There are a few mods that let you move nodes. Theres AE spacial thing, there was the cardboard box (dunno which mod, but it's disabled now), there was a magic ring that let you pick up and move blocks (dunno which mod, but it's disabled now), and there's blood magic transposers. It's not a ritual it's two blocks consisting of a start location and a destination.

and the portalgun

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Skuzal posted:

The meteors usually look like this. This is the one next to dome beta, coordinates are 320x 1537z. The other ones that I have found are at 895x 2050z, 1280x 1800z and a tiny one at 864x 769z.

There can also be some underground, you make a meteor compass and then you can see where they are - but it involves digging down in the chunk / on the chunk borders of the marked chunks.

so pressing F9 twice can help :)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Today I learned, the square root of 17 is 3. Thanks, Thaumcraft!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Was it a pale node? 17-10% = 15.3, just under 16, so the nearest integer square it rounds down to is 9.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Magres posted:

Today I learned, the square root of 17 is 3. Thanks, Thaumcraft!

Well maybe it is true in nonlinear, thaumic space, or something.

BTW why use a harvester to shear leaves? I only had enough time tonight to put together a munchdew, and not the whole secondary farm, but I did get to toy with it. It seemed quite happy nom noming leaves on the edge of my first farm just fine. Couldn't I just put that in the middle of a second farm with planters, and just recruit a lumberjack golem to take care of the leftover logs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

Was it a pale node? 17-10% = 15.3, just under 16, so the nearest integer square it rounds down to is 9.

Nah, I figured it out, I think. Pretty sure whenever a node is at 0, it slowly drains every aspect that's at 0, so when you transduce a node it loses a few points. Which is dumb, but now that I can predict it I won't be caught by thaumcraft math anymore.

• Locked thread