Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If I had to choose between Candice and Caitlin I think I would be a turbonerd unable to make a decision or make a move just like Barry. This is assuming marriage vows don't apply when you are transported into a fictional universe and become a superhero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Koalas March posted:

And they are crazy as hell! A whole bunch them do nothing but send racial slurs to Candice on twitter, use neonazi buzzwords (ie Barry/Iris fans are "antiwhite"), Photoshop her white and say that's how Iris is supposed to look, harass Candice's fans with racism etc. Fandom is so gross.

What the actual gently caress :wtc:

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

greatn posted:

If I had to choose between Candice and Caitlin I think I would be a turbonerd unable to make a decision or make a move just like Barry. This is assuming marriage vows don't apply when you are transported into a fictional universe and become a superhero.

I just thought the whole Barry/Caitlin thing was better because their actors seem to have much better chemistry than Barry/Iris. It's also a little annoyance that they force the idea of Barry loving Iris down your throat in season 1 without any good reason for it because they have no chemistry and she is just awful.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Scyantific posted:

What the actual gently caress :wtc:

Oh my sweet summer child

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

mikeraskol posted:

I just thought the whole Barry/Caitlin thing was better because their actors seem to have much better chemistry than Barry/Iris. It's also a little annoyance that they force the idea of Barry loving Iris down your throat in season 1 without any good reason for it because they have no chemistry and she is just awful.

Will I don't agree she's awful but do agree they have no chemistry. And it's further complicated by then having a weird relationship of having grown up together where Iris obviously considered him a brother and he was crushing on her the whole time, and her dad is busy cockblocking her actual boyfriend to try and push her toward basically his adopted son.

Odd that in the finale she agreed she has feelings for him, and obviously things got complicated after that but it seems nothing has been addressed at all between then since then and there pretending nothing happened. They are gonna have to address that elephant sooner or later.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Oh my sweet summer child

I mean I know that shippers are the worst loving thing to happen to entertainment, but being openly racist and assholes towards an actress just for playing a role just takes it too drat far.

Future generations will look at Tumblr and think to themselves, "what the gently caress were you guys thinking???"

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Laser Lenin approves of hobo murder simulators.

Valeyard posted:

Why is Caitlin over Ronnie already?

Also remember, this is actually the second time she's had to get over Ronnie's death.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Barry should just hook up with everyone in Central City, everyone who lives there is pretty.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They really need an episode where he has two different dates at the same time.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

greatn posted:

They really need an episode where he has two different dates at the same time.

I mean Wells can be in 2 places at once. why not. Date with Cop Lady, and Iris

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Bad Moon posted:

Barry gonna get a Snowjob

We found our new thread title folks!

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Dexo posted:

I mean Wells can be in 2 places at once. why not. Date with Cop Lady, and Iris

I wonder how long they're gonna keep Barry's powers a secret from Cop Lady. I expect it will drive us all mad. I half expected his hood to fall off when he rescued her last episode.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

The way they introduced her and made her very competent makes it seem like she will figure it out quickly.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Invalid Validation posted:

Barry should just hook up with everyone in Central City, everyone who lives there is pretty.

It's the CW. Everyone's an underwear model.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

mikeraskol posted:

The way they introduced her and made her very competent makes it seem like she will figure it out quickly.

I hope so. I guess there's no way they could give Barry a love triangle if she doesn't figure out he's the Flash.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Xtanstic posted:

I hope so. I guess there's no way they could give Barry a love triangle if she doesn't figure out he's the Flash.

Iris is going to blackmail him for sex. "I'll expose you Barry!"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

MacheteZombie posted:

Iris is going to blackmail him for sex. "I'll expose you Barry!"

"I'll expose you if you don't expose yourself"?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

mikeraskol posted:

Yeah, it's going in that direction it seems like. It'll also be a nice contrast to Iris not figuring it out for a whole season last year.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So this season Iris will be pining after Barry while he dates a cop?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Haha I just realized this parallel.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Not just any cop. Iris will be pining for Barry while he dates Joe's partner.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

And we've seen what Iris does when Barry is dating someone.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Invalid Validation posted:

Barry should just hook up with everyone in Central City on the CW, everyone who lives there is pretty.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I just realized that the show would lose nothing if Iris just died. She doesn't add anything at this point. She didn't add anything last season either, aside from being a source of angst for Barry.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
She is Barry's conscience. She got him to start interacting with the city and his friends again, she got him to stop being a dick to Jay.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Obviously Iris is endgame, but does she have to be?

This show has pretty firmly established that regular canon means jack all because Eobard came back in time and created Flash several years early.

Nothing from that point has to be how Eobard remembered it. Stein says as much.

But nah, its gonna be Iris because Reasons or whatever, and that's fine.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

mikeraskol posted:

And we've seen what Iris does when Barry is dating someone.

I forgot about Linda Park so it took me a second to realize what you were talking about. I'm so sad at how terribly they handled her. :(

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

greatn posted:

She is Barry's conscience. She got him to start interacting with the city and his friends again, she got him to stop being a dick to Jay.

Except both Joe and Henry serve as Barry' conscience and do a much better job of it. This is on top of having less stilted, more dynamic relationship with Barry and being far more interesting characters on there own. I like Candice Patton and think her general likability is the only thing keeping Iris from being completely awful. Despite the writers trying a bunch of different directions for her in the first season Iris has always felt extraneous to the show. Aside from one or two conversations close to the end of last season, I think most of Irises stuff could be cut without any real loss.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

I dont know posted:

Except both Joe and Henry serve as Barry' conscience and do a much better job of it. This is on top of having less stilted, more dynamic relationship with Barry and being far more interesting characters on there own. I like Candice Patton and think her general likability is the only thing keeping Iris from being completely awful. Despite the writers trying a bunch of different directions for her in the first season Iris has always felt extraneous to the show. Aside from one or two conversations close to the end of last season, I think most of Irises stuff could be cut without any real loss.

She's the Lois Lane and there's no journalism angle she can leverage.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

This kind of goes back to a point I've brought up a number of times in this thread, but I feel like I'm expected to care about Iris simply because she's some famous character from the comics. It doesn't work at all if you don't watch the comics (at least for me). The show hasn't really showed any reason for why Barry needs to be in love with her or have her exist as a character other than she exists in the comic.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Edie Thawne

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

mikeraskol posted:

This kind of goes back to a point I've brought up a number of times in this thread, but I feel like I'm expected to care about Iris simply because she's some famous character from the comics. It doesn't work at all if you don't watch the comics (at least for me). The show hasn't really showed any reason for why Barry needs to be in love with her or have her exist as a character other than she exists in the comic.

There's actually no good reason for her to exist in the comic either.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mikeraskol posted:

They grew up together and she's smoking hot.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The creators watched way too much anime and thought that would be a good idea, basically.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

I'd rather they make Iris into a better character than remove her from the show completely. How could they make her into a better character though?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

ashez2ashes posted:

I'd rather they make Iris into a better character than remove her from the show completely. How could they make her into a better character though?

They could have her actually add value to the team by using her skills as a journalist and investigative reporter to uncover facts and angles that can't be uncovered using Cisco's and Steins' technical skills. But that would require actual effort on part of the writers.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

They could have her actually add value to the team by using her skills as a journalist and investigative reporter to uncover facts and angles that can't be uncovered using Cisco's and Steins' technical skills. But that would require actual effort on part of the writers.

What skills as a journalist and investigative reporter?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

mikeraskol posted:

She did a blog.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

mikeraskol posted:

I was being sarcastic. I believe literally her only qualification for her job was that she had a blog that became popular. Unlike the other members of the team, she has no marketable skills whatsoever, and unlike the new cop girl, she isn't exceptionally bright, observant or persistent. Which is why I said she should be removed from the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

mikeraskol posted:

I just thought the whole Barry/Caitlin thing was better because their actors seem to have much better chemistry than Barry/Iris.

I think it's because Barry/Caitlin's actors seem to be allowed to treat their dynamic as musical theater cheese, while Barry/Iris are being forced to play their relationship as though the show is some sort-of straight drama.

enraged_camel posted:

I was being sarcastic. I believe literally her only qualification for her job was that she had a blog that became popular. Unlike the other members of the team, she has no marketable skills whatsoever, and unlike the new cop girl, she isn't exceptionally bright, observant or persistent. Which is why I said she should be removed from the show.

I don't want her to be removed from the show, but I agree she's quickly become the albatross around the show's neck.

• Locked thread