Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Why doesn't Sprint have any real information regarding their LTE rollout on their website? It appears the only place to get updates is from s4gru.com, and that's just a fan site right?

Standard large corporation BS where they attempt to obfuscate and stonewall about even routine or positive things that would leave their customers feeling like progress is being made instead of totally in the darkl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Ender.uNF posted:

Standard large corporation BS where they attempt to obfuscate and stonewall about even routine or positive things that would leave their customers feeling like progress is being made instead of totally in the darkl
If they don't promise anything specific, nobody can hold them responsible when deadlines pass.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

traslin posted:

Hopefully you'll get the phone soon enough to take advantage of the Google Wallet promotion. Do they have an eta on delivery?

Also, I've heard that the contract terms are different for phones purchased from Wirefly than for phones purchased directly from Sprint. Does anyone happen to know the differences?

Wirefly is like amazon, you sign an extra contract with them, so if you cancel you have a double termination fee.

Ender.uNF posted:

Sprint was being open about all the tower transitions, then Verizon apparently sent a shitton of promo material to business customer with links to said updates with some sort of tag line about sprint cutting towers and/or being behind verizon. Sprint pretty quickly stopped posting websites on its coverage.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 19, 2012

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

jisforjosh posted:

Does the Google Voice porting still work for Sprint? There was no porting to be done when I set it up, no $20 charged like Google says on their site and was greeted with this when I went to port the number out "Unlocking your number for port out is not available when you have Google Voice on Sprint."

There's a difference between integration and porting.

Integration: Your number is still technically Sprint's, but can be used as a front-end to your GV account instead without having to port it over. No fees.

Porting to GV: Your number is no longer Sprint's and is now on Google's network. Costs $20 apparently. Of course this eliminates the need to ever port again because you can just point GV at whatever number your cell provider gives you.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Good news goons, I got my google nexus tracking number from sprint. Should be in my grubby little hands tomorrow. Can't wait to go back to 3g service!

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice

r0ck0 posted:

Good news goons, I got my google nexus tracking number from sprint. Should be in my grubby little hands tomorrow. Can't wait to go back to 3g service!

It's odd, I've got my tracking number and it said it was supposed to ship today, but I checked the tracker and no updates yet.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Dreissi posted:

It's odd, I've got my tracking number and it said it was supposed to ship today, but I checked the tracker and no updates yet.

Give it some time, sheesh. It was just entered into the system.

ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

drat, I didn't get a tracking number yet. When did you guys pre-order? I did yesterday about 9am.

EDIT: Also, what method do they ship, is it overnight shipping?

ArmTheHomeless fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 19, 2012

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

UglyCrackBaby posted:

drat, I didn't get a tracking number yet. When did you guys pre-order? I did yesterday about 9am.

EDIT: Also, what method do they ship, is it overnight shipping?

I pre-ordered early Monday morning. They usually ship next day and in the past I have always gotten sprint phones overnight.

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 19, 2012

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Dreissi posted:

They probably won't even get picked up at the warehouse by UPS until later this afternoon.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
Just a little reminder before this trend escalates: nobody else cares nearly as much as you do about the minute-by-minute progress of a package bound for your doorstep.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

WoG posted:

Just a little reminder before this trend escalates: nobody else cares nearly as much as you do about the minute-by-minute progress of a package bound for your doorstep.

Sorry, didn't mean to start a sperg fest.

ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

Got my tracking number too, looks like this is my OG Evo's last day.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I, too, am going to receive a new cellular telephone via international carrier within the next 36 hours or so. Just a heads up.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I am super pumped that Sprint now will get to spend money on a tax evasion lawsuit instead of upgrading their lovely data network.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Yeah, they should just roll over and pay the 300 million.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
So Sprint definitely collects state and county sales taxes in other states. I don't see why they wouldn't collect the full amount in New York, unless their lawyers reported they don't have to. I don't buy the argument that it was strictly to make their plans more competitive, because all carriers advertise the pre-tax plan rate.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Duckman2008 posted:

If you are someone who still has a Touch Pro 2 however, for God's sake just upgrade to either of these and stop hurting yourself.

Yes, we still exist :(

I'll probably upgrade to the Gnex unless I end up waiting for the iPhone 5 due to sheer apathy.

Speaking of upgrades, I'm still on SERO premium, so does that still mean I can't do in-store upgrades?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GEMorris posted:

Yes, we still exist :(

I'll probably upgrade to the Gnex unless I end up waiting for the iPhone 5 due to sheer apathy.

Speaking of upgrades, I'm still on SERO premium, so does that still mean I can't do in-store upgrades?

You can upgrade at a sprint corporate store, but a lot of them don't know how to do it. Ordering online via sprint.com is safest.

With all these new phones launching, did anyone think that sprint policies would stay the same? If so, you are wrong. New insurance policies rolling out June 17th:

For any LTE phone that retails outright at $549 or more, starting June 17th TEP will go up to $11 a month, with a deduct able between $150-200 depending on the phone (they weren't clear on what differentiates). People who have insurance on the phone before then are grandfathered in.

So basically, insurance on the galaxy nexus and evo LTE are going up June 17th, so if you want insurance get it before that date.

Phones like the 3D and photon do not seem to be affected. Just expensive LTE phones. If you want my bet this is a preview of the iPhone with TEP.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Duckman2008 posted:

With all these new phones launching, did anyone think that sprint policies would stay the same? If so, you are wrong. New insurance policies rolling out June 17th:

For any LTE phone that retails outright at $549 or more, starting June 17th TEP will go up to $11 a month, with a deduct able between $150-200 depending on the phone (they weren't clear on what differentiates). People who have insurance on the phone before then are grandfathered in.

So basically, insurance on the galaxy nexus and evo LTE are going up June 17th, so if you want insurance get it before that date.

Phones like the 3D and photon do not seem to be affected. Just expensive LTE phones. If you want my bet this is a preview of the iPhone with TEP.

Squaretrade is looking better. The only problem with squaretrade is its a one time use and they won't overnight a new phone. They also don't cover lost or stolen phones.

http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/android-landing1#coveragePop

AJzer
Nov 28, 2004
Tally Ho!

Duckman2008 posted:

with a deduct able between $150-200 depending on the phone

Can you clarify this a bit? I noticed that with TEP, I had a $100 deductible if I went through Asurion on the internet, but taking it into the local Sprint repair store never cost me a dime. Will this remain true? Was I just getting lucky?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
If you get a iPhone just pay the $100 extra for Apple Care +.

Also isn't a refurb from Apple only $150 even without Apple Care?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

You can upgrade at a sprint corporate store, but a lot of them don't know how to do it. Ordering online via sprint.com is safest.

Jesus goddamn christ. As it is I'm seriously debating ditching TEP on my E3D at $8/mo; at $11/mo I'd just as soon stick that same cash into a savings account since outside of my brief butterfingers stint last year I've really never had reason to use TEP (and even then it was arguably a wash versus just not having it).

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Ugh, at least Verizon and ATT actually have service to go along with their terrible pricing and policies.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
From my understanding, NY requires taxes to be paid on the full amount of the cost of a plan, before any discounts are applied. So a $100 plan with 50% discount would be taxed as a $100 plan, doubling the taxes that should be paid. Sprint was collecting for the actual amount paid, which would be $50. This is fine for other states apparently, but NY is different. Supposedly, Sprint knew they were doing it incorrectly but decided to do it anyway.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

The LG Marquee isn't even listed on Sprint.com anymore. EOL'd already?

Duckman2008 posted:

I checked out a corporate store for the first time yesterday. It was...not what I expected. To do anything, their sales rep just stood at a computer terminal and did an online chat with someone at Sprint.

Duckman2008 posted:

If you want my bet this is a preview of the iPhone with TEP.
I thought Sprint didn't offer TEP for the iPhone.

AJzer
Nov 28, 2004
Tally Ho!

td4guy posted:

I thought Sprint didn't offer TEP for the iPhone.

Right. Hence, "preview".

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

IOwnCalculus posted:

Jesus goddamn christ.
It's the 2x deductible that really makes it uneconomical. $200 isn't much below the deductible on my renter's insurance, which (although I've not looked into great detail) may well cover the case of theft. Also considering that Sprint phones have a tendency to depreciate in value rather quickly, you really have to file at least one claim per phone (or 24 months) to come out ahead with it.

I suppose there's the edge case of things that TEP covers without a deductible. But doesn't all that stuff cost $35 per incident at a repair center anyways?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's the 2x deductible that really makes it uneconomical. $200 isn't much below the deductible on my renter's insurance, which (although I've not looked into great detail) may well cover the case of theft. Also considering that Sprint phones have a tendency to depreciate in value rather quickly, you really have to file at least one claim per phone (or 24 months) to come out ahead with it.

I suppose there's the edge case of things that TEP covers without a deductible. But doesn't all that stuff cost $35 per incident at a repair center anyways?

Pretty much dead on. I think passing the $10 a month mark is bad, and the deductible is worse.

I have a feeling they'll jack the $36 fee, but I have no evidence on this. The really infuriating thing is that sprint has been playing ridiculous games on paying uson tech stuff for the past few months. Do it's not enough to nickel and dime the techs, but raising the price is apparently also needed.

I'm curious on how much just the repair part is, currently at $5 a month that works pretty well since anything under repairs has no deductible. I'll look into it.

And yeah, the Marquee is dead because LG makes Samsung look competent. Seriously, every drat one of those has come back within a month, I apologize for ever thinking of recommmending it. I played with the Viper today coincidentally, surprisingly portable size. If it wasn't for LG plus 2.3 it would be a great recommendation for those looking for a phone smaller than a hummer.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Pretty much dead on. I think passing the $10 a month mark is bad, and the deductible is worse.

I have a feeling they'll jack the $36 fee, but I have no evidence on this. The really infuriating thing is that sprint has been playing ridiculous games on paying uson tech stuff for the past few months. Do it's not enough to nickel and dime the techs, but raising the price is apparently also needed.

Honestly, if the the phone prices and insurance prices are going to go up this much, and sprint keeps postponing upgrades to their data network, I'm going to ditch the smartphones and look for a cheap dumbphone with bluetooth that can be hacked to tether to a cheap tablet or netbook.

I'm on SERO premium so I already have unlimited data; doing this would save me $21 a month if TEP goes up ($10 premium data for 4G that doesn't exist, $11 for TEP). And getting a phone for $50-$70 would save me from having to deal with the incompetent sprint repair centers that have given me 10 defective phones in 14 months.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bigpolar posted:

Honestly, if the the phone prices and insurance prices are going to go up this much, and sprint keeps postponing upgrades to their data network, I'm going to ditch the smartphones and look for a cheap dumbphone with bluetooth that can be hacked to tether to a cheap tablet or netbook.

I'm on SERO premium so I already have unlimited data; doing this would save me $21 a month if TEP goes up ($10 premium data for 4G that doesn't exist, $11 for TEP). And getting a phone for $50-$70 would save me from having to deal with the incompetent sprint repair centers that have given me 10 defective phones in 14 months.

For the record, we don't exactly choose what replacement phones you get. Just clarifying that getting a bum phone isn't the techs fault.

If you are on SERO and don't want to pay the extra $10, the htc arrive is the best phone to get. So if you really want to save, drop to that (they are cheap if you look), drop insurance and wait it out if you want too. Best I got, dumb phones can't tether and have even slower Internet.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

For the record, we don't exactly choose what replacement phones you get. Just clarifying that getting a bum phone isn't the techs fault.

If you are on SERO and don't want to pay the extra $10, the htc arrive is the best phone to get. So if you really want to save, drop to that (they are cheap if you look), drop insurance and wait it out if you want too. Best I got, dumb phones can't tether and have even slower Internet.
I know it isn't the techs at the local store, they are decent (well, one store is, the other finds phantom water damage in every phone that needs replacing. They told me this twice, both times the further store looked at it and said they were full of poo poo. I just drive the extra 15 minutes now).

It's the monkeys who refurbish the phones who have me really pissed off. 10 defective refurbs is pure bullshit.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Current plan for wife: call retentions and bitch about how the Evo Shift is all hosed up now and try to get her upgrade date moved up. Will settle for buying out her contract. When the Galaxy Nexus is released (and back in stock), she's decided that's the one she wants. We'll also sell back the Shift at that point. Then I just have to keep myself from stealing her phone.....

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

IOwnCalculus posted:

There's a difference between integration and porting.

Integration: Your number is still technically Sprint's, but can be used as a front-end to your GV account instead without having to port it over. No fees.

Porting to GV: Your number is no longer Sprint's and is now on Google's network. Costs $20 apparently. Of course this eliminates the need to ever port again because you can just point GV at whatever number your cell provider gives you.

OK, so if I'm getting the "This number appears to be from an area we don't currently support for porting" I'm going to have to take some convoluted route with Sprint to get my number from a previous family plan onto a new individual plan?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

bigpolar posted:

Samsung SPH M500, only like $25 on eBay. Check it out.

Duckman2008 posted:

Can you tether with the Arrive?* I had a quick look at XDA's forum and it was just a mess of bad information. (yeah, yeah, XDA is crap, etc.)

*without paying for the hotspot thing

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I don't think so. It was supposed to be a feature but never got enabled. Or something... the hardware is there for WiFi hotspots.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

td4guy posted:

Samsung SPH M500, only like $25 on eBay. Check it out.
Can you tether with the Arrive?* I had a quick look at XDA's forum and it was just a mess of bad information. (yeah, yeah, XDA is crap, etc.)

*without paying for the hotspot thing

Yeah that's the only trick with windows 7, not sure honestly. Check with the windows phone thread, they would know.

Otherwise the best phone is either the Marquee, Echo or Optimus S unless I'm missing something obvious. Yeah....

Edit: just FYI I am upgrading my girlfriends line (normal account), called into retentions and they waived the upgrade fee with very little pushing. So they are willing to do it in some instances.

The GNex is still just listed as coming soon for employees, so it looks like she will actually have a new phone before I do :(

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 20, 2012

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

Duckman2008 posted:

New insurance policies rolling out June 17th:

How in the world is anyone supposed to justify paying for this? The amount you pay for replacing one phone is almost the cost of just buying a new one. I guess if you think you are in real danger of having to replace multiple phones during the term of your contract it might be worth it but otherwise there's no way you aren't better off just keeping your $460 and then just buying something used off of Craigs list if something happens to your phone. $200 deductible, in particular, is ridiculous. My car's deductible is $500 (with no deductible for replacing the windshield) and my car is worth an order of magnitude more than a phone.

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

tomguycot posted:

How in the world is anyone supposed to justify paying for this? The amount you pay for replacing one phone is almost the cost of just buying a new one. I guess if you think you are in real danger of having to replace multiple phones during the term of your contract it might be worth it but otherwise there's no way you aren't better off just keeping your $460 and then just buying something used off of Craigs list if something happens to your phone. $200 deductible, in particular, is ridiculous. My car's deductible is $500 (with no deductible for replacing the windshield) and my car is worth an order of magnitude more than a phone.

While I agree this change sucks, your car insurance probably costs a bit more than $11 a month.

Looks like my current phone will be the last phone I have TEP on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

tomguycot posted:

I checked and without no insurance Apple will replaced a broken iPhone 4 for $150, and iPhone 4S for $199. Why would you get insurance at all if the deductible is going to be so high? That is just crazy. For that much the deductible should be around $40.

That said has anyone added their phone to their main (home or car) insurance policy? Can you get a policy just for the phone?