Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Nick Cave and the Bad Wolf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

The football scene would have been great if it was half as long. I cracked up when they started playing the epic battle music over it.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Amppelix posted:

Terrible comedians aren't necessarily bad actors. Isn't it generally accepted wisdom that comedy is harder to pull off than drama, anyway?

That's true. And of course Corden isn't writing this.

death .cab for qt posted:

It was a really boring slog through the same "the doctor is an alien and doesn't quite understand humanity" joke for fifteen minutes while Craig the Nice Guy fumbles his non-relationship. Then it turned into Matt Smith: Alien Sportsman and I had enough.

As the review points out, he isn't a "Nice Guy" but actually a nice guy. And I am a sucker for fish out of water comedies and Matt Smith does it really well, so that one joke worked great for me.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I was once in a Zizzi in Manchester having lunch with my family when my mum said in a whisper, "That's James Corden behind you!"

I had no idea who James Corden was, only that he was being loud and determined to be the centre of attention. It wasn't until 'The Lodger' came around several months later that I realised.

Anyway, that's my James Corden story. :v:

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Angela Christine posted:

What is that thing? Is a clown? Why does that black part seem to be trying to escape the picture? :gonk:

Dan Leno was gahdamn amazing. You should all Google him. I have that creepy loving portrait to thank for getting me too find out who he was.

Henry Crustwheel
Jun 22, 2010

Those should be in separate boxes.

Payndz posted:

I was once in a Zizzi in Manchester having lunch with my family when my mum said in a whisper, "That's James Corden behind you!"

I had no idea who James Corden was, only that he was being loud and determined to be the centre of attention. It wasn't until 'The Lodger' came around several months later that I realised.

Anyway, that's my James Corden story. :v:

And now he's hosting a thing in some months. Classic shitfat fucknob success story.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Doctor Who
"The Lodger"
Series 5, Episode 11

As Occ made clear, and as I've figured out while trying to get started on this, "The Lodger" is that rare episode that you know is good but can't quite seem to grip reasons as to why besides "it makes me laugh, like this - ha ha ha." It's definitely got the lightest plot we've seen thus far in Series 5, with the mysterious man upstairs and his dastardly hijinks being little more than a backdrop for a fat man and a weirdo to be funny at each other. There's a little bit of "Utopia" in here, I think, or at least the first half, which was almost more of a sketch comedy act than an arc-relevant story, but whereas "Utopia" was the first part of a deeply stupid series finale, "The Lodger" has no illusions as to how inconsequential it is. This makes it much easier to enjoy, and gives Gareth Roberts (who previously wrote the hilarious and shamefully maligned "The Unicorn & The Wasp") space to sneak in a few significant moments here and there.

The main criticism I hear from "The Lodger" is that it simplifies the Doctor's character into something too sitcom-ish, which makes even less sense than most obviously wrong Doctor Who opinions - first of all, because we're still not even a full series into Eleven's character, and secondly, because every single moment of Matt Smith out of all 45 is a thing of beauty and a joy for ever. The first twenty minutes of "The Lodger" have some of my favorite bits of the whole show, as the Doctor tries, in his scatterbrained but effective way, to insinuate himself into the life of the nebbish and self-blueballing Craig Owens. Eleven's already shown himself as being hopelessly out of his depth with anything domestic, and that trait holds strong here. He knows the main bullet points of how to get into Craig's good graces, of course - rent, compliments, free food - but is a little vague on the specifics. So we get him absently handing Craig a literal sack of cash, complimenting his parlor with a rushed fervor normally reserved for a coked-up yes-man, and expertly prepares an omelette with salad dressing before forgetting to remember what century he learned the recipe from. The way he seems downright fascinated and giddy with the idea of actually having a room for once, rather than a spacetime-rending infinitely-sized wooden time machine, is adorable. And then there's the physical comedy, of course - the way he hops on and off the bed during his first conversation with Amy, or continually ducks under his ramshackle non-technological scanner instead of just getting out of its way. The football match goes on a little overlong, but I can appreciate how it's basically an excuse for Matt Smith to show off his skills on-camera, since the guy had a back injury that took him out of the sport before he could even join a team. His loss, our gain.

The Doctor doesn't mean to show up Craig at every aspect of his life, he just happens to do it by way of being an ageless super-intelligent alien man, leaving Craig himself to deal with the consequences of being around the Doctor when he's not focused on impressing people. Eleven in particular seems to have issues when it comes to playing by anyone else's rules; he's a dream to have around when you need a problem solved or when he's left to gallivant around in his ramshackle ship, but plonk him down into an apartment, particularly one that you own, and as bad as roommates can get without involving a bathtub and a saxophone. His complete obliviousness to social graces, hobby for tinkering, and effortless competence is a blight on poor Craig, who's played in a squeaky, endearing sort of way by James Corden. There's a certain echo of Rory (who is still dead) in Craig's personality - a nice, harmless, level-headed guy whose main fault is an inability to speak up for himself - but whereas Rory (who's dead) was meek because his relationship with Amy taught him to pick his battles, Craig just naturally shies away from anything outside of his comfort zone. Signing on the Doctor as a flatmate was probably the most daring thing he'd ever done, and we get to see the hilarious consequences unfold even as he grows more and more frazzled by it.

Craig's sometimes-tiresome romantic tension with Sophie (a basically inoffensive performance from Daisy Haggard) ties into his distaste for risk, and rapidly becomes so obvious that even Eleven, who's shown himself to be thermodynamically dense at picking up on romance, starts making snide jabs at him for it. There's a bit of an inversion between these two pairs - Amy and Rory (Rory, who's dead), and Craig and Sophie. We have a good-hearted provincial guy and an adventurous girl, and those opposing feelings set them at odds with each other. But whereas Amy and Rory (dead) clearly established that they cared about each other, and that what doubt remained evaporated over the course of two episodes, Craig and Sophie are so reluctant to admit their feelings for each other that it takes the threat of planetary obliteration to goad them into it. These parallels seem to be deliberate, as the Doctor starts poking at Craig in an attempt to move him closer to Sophie - an attempt to repair one relationship after so thoroughly destroying the other. That whole problem was solved a little more explosively than I'm sure he would have liked, but hey, can't argue with the results.

What's more, this is one of the few times we see the Doctor make a good friend in someone who's not at all interested in jetting around with him afterwards. Craig becomes intimately knowledgeable about him in that priceless headbutt scene - and oh God, everything about that bit was perfect, especially Corden staggering away from the Doctor with his finger pointed and his jaw hanging open both times, able to do little more than just gasp in shock until his brain lines back up with his mouth - and, as Occ mentioned, forks over the flat keys in a sweet inversion of the Doctor's usual TARDIS key handouts, as an open invitation to return when he likes. What keeps "The Lodger" from falling apart is that conclusion, and how it uses the usual wheezy sitcom cliches to resolve its sci-fi threats; the romantic tension between Craig and Sophie is enough to literally make the evil spaceship self-destruct, and the Doctor's constant one-upping of Craig is turned on its head, showing that, for all his plainness and lack of ambition, Craig is still perfectly content where he is, in contrast with the Doctor, who's always running and rarely satisfied. The success of Craig's and Sophie's relationship is also a vindication of sorts for the Doctor, an affirmation that he's not a complete screwup after the events of "Cold Blood," at least until Amy's offhand "can't you find me a fella?" reminds about (ex-)Rory.

"The Lodger" is an episode I place in the same class as "The Runaway Bride," one full of moments I can rewatch over and over again even if the full product is a bit on the insubstantial side. The actual plot has almost nothing worth mentioning (aside from the appearance of the second victim, who bizarrely and inexplicably looks as though she's on her way from a mugging or worse), the characters are mostly rote, and the scenes have little to tie them together besides "the Doctor is amazing, Craig doesn't know how to deal." But the performances and writing are lively enough to entertain regardless, which is a welcome relief after the interminable boredom of the Silurian two-parter and the herky-jerky moodiness of "Vincent and the Doctor."

But, we're at the finale, and when Moffat's in the writer's chair then you know things are going to get complicated. "The Lodger" was a nice palette cleanser for whatever's to come; let's hope the lizard-people fell through a crack and look to the future instead. See you then.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 9, 2015

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Toxxupation posted:

Doctor Who
"The Lodger"
Series 5, Episode 11

So given Oxxidation's review, how many (dead) Rorys out of 5 do you rank it?

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

RodShaft posted:

Dan Leno was gahdamn amazing. You should all Google him. I have that creepy loving portrait to thank for getting me too find out who he was.

Peter Ackroyd's novel about a fictionalized version of him, Dan Leno and the Limehouse Golem, is also amazing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Angela Christine posted:

What is that thing? Is a clown? Why does that black part seem to be trying to escape the picture? :gonk:

Seriously, I think that thing is what most people walked away from the episode with.

I think my favorite line from the episode was the bit about "Why do I feel the need to tell you all of my plans?" On the nose? Sure, but it was still funny.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I vaguely recall the main thread being absolutely convinced that that bizarre portrait was important to the season arc somehow. We used to be so sane. :allears:

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Oh I was out of town so this is late.
ForToxx

BlueGhostie

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

Random Thoughts:
  • My one criticism is the soccer scene was overlong and too obviously emphasizing the points that Matt Smith was good at football and that Eleven is kind of an oblivious dick.
  • Holy poo poo the portrait that hangs right outside Craig's door is loving horrifying.
  • The Doctor: "Have some rent. (hands Craig a paper bag full of money) That's probably quite a lot, isn't it? Looks like a lot. Is it a lot? I can never tell."
  • The Doctor (explaining): "Well, they call me The Doctor. I don't know why. I call me The Doctor too. Still don't know why."
  • Craig: "Is that a reference from the Archbishop of Canterbury?" The Doctor: "I'm his special favorite."
  • Craig: "Oh, that was incredible! That was absolutely brilliant. Where did you learn to cook?" The Doctor: "Paris, in the 18th century. No, hang on, that's not recent, is it?17th? No no no, 20th. Sorry, I'm not used to doing them in the right order."
  • The Doctor: "Why would I want that?" Craig: "Well, in case you want to bring someone 'round. A girlfriend or a...boyfriend?" The Doctor: "Oh, I will. I'll shout if that happens. Yes, something like...'I WAS NOT EXPECTING THIS!'"
  • The Doctor: "All I've got to do is pass as an ordinary human being. Simple. What could possibly go wrong?" Amy: "Have you SEEN you?" The Doctor: "So you're just going to be snide? No helpful hints?" Amy (sarcastically): "Hmm. Well, here's one. Bow tie, get rid!" The Doctor: "Bow ties are cool."
  • The Doctor (angrily): "Annihilate? No, no violence, do you understand me? Not while I'm around, not today, not ever, I'm The Doctor, the oncoming storm...and you basically meant beat them in a football match, didn't you?"
  • The Doctor (holding a screwdriver): "Where's the on switch for this?"
  • The Doctor (confusedly): "What? Do I have to stay now?" Craig (barely controlled): "Do you wanna stay?" The Doctor (softly): "I don't mind."
  • The Doctor: "Six billion people? Watching you two at work, I'm starting to wonder where they all come from."

that was my favourite bit.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Seriously, I think that thing is what most people walked away from the episode with.

I honestly have never even noticed it until Toxx mentioned it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The much mailigned South Africa Unicorn and the Wasp

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

The Lodger

With this lighthearted episode we get broadly positive guesses, though we also have 5 F's, putting it in joint 3rd for this season for F guesses.

A
Glenn_Beckett
Regy Rusty
cargohills
Organza Quiz
BSam
Random Stranger
Burkion
Rochallor
Hewlett
Not a Twat
Pinwiz11
Stobbit
Bobulus
Blasmeister
Xenoborg
mind the walrus
umalt
Grouchio
And More
Practical Demon
egon_beeblebrox
Fungah!
PurpleJesus
ThNextGreenLantern
Bunnita
surc
Colonel Cool
DetoxP
Roach Warehouse
Arsenic Lupin
John Charity Spring
LabyaMynora
adhuin
Captain Capitalism
Hannibal Smith
AndwhatIseeisme
WeirdSandwich
Ohtsam
MikeJF
thexerox123
Noxville
Proposition Joe
Jsor
RodShaft

B
thrawn527
Jakiri
FreezingInferno
Daedleh
Gandalf21
fatherboxx
jng2058
Stumiester
DoctorWhat
???
Attitude Indicator
Keisse J
cool kids inc.
Squalitude
Prison Warden
Mo0
Stormgale
idonotlikepeas
Party Boat
radmonger
Sinestro
docbeard
Big Mean Jerk
SirSamVimes
Jet Jaguar
Fucknag
ThePlague-Daemon
Kevino07
Legoman727
BeefyTaco
Senor Tron
Anonymouse Mook
ActionZero
30.5 Days
GonSmithe
Howe_sam
FewtureMD

C
M_Gargantua
Senerio
Juvenalian.Satyr
Paul.Power
Smello
2house2fly
f#a#
Jurgan
NeuroticLich
Irony Be My Shield

D
ewe2
Go RV!

F
Tiggum
death .cab for qt
Andrew_1985
hcreight
Sighence

Now we're entering the home stretch can Rochellor hold on? Will Sighence manage to finish last? Will Mo0 guess one right?

Rochallor 7
Hewlett 8
John Charity Spring 8
MikeJF 8
Stobbit 9
Docbeard 9
Kevino07 9
Noxville 9
Proposition Joe 9
Daedleh 10
jng2058 10
DoctorWhat 10
Attitude Indicator 10
Fungah! 10
Bunnita 10
DetoxP 10
SirSamVimes 10
thexerox123 10
GonSmithe 10
Cargohills 11
Organza 11
BSam 11
Not a Twat 11
Pinwiz11 11
Blasmeister 11
Xenoborg 11
Mind the walrus 11
Paul Power 11
PurpleJesus 11
Big Mean Jerk 11
Hannibal Smith 11
Anonymouse Mook 11
Howe_sam 11
Random Stranger 12
Practical Demon 12
Radmonger 12
BeefyTaco 12
WeirdSandwich 12
ActionZero 12
Regy Rusty 13
Gandalf21 13
stumeister 13
Bobulus 13
??? 13
Keisse J 13
Squalitude 13
ThNextGreenLantern 13
Jet Jaguar 13
Legoman727 13
Ohtsam 13
thrawn257 14
cool kids inc. 14
Smello 14
2house2fly 14
Colonel Cool 14
LabyaMynora 14
adhuin 14
FewtureMD 14
Glenn_Beckett 15
FreezingInferno 15
And More 15
Prison Warden 15
Stormgale 15
egon_beeblebrox 15
f#a# 15
Jurgan 15
Arsenic Lupin 15
ThePlague-Daemon 15
Captain Capitalism 15
AndwhatIseeisme 15
Senor Tron 15
hcreight 15
fatherboxx 16
M Gargantua 16
Senario 16
ewe2 16
umalt 16
Grouchio 16
Andrew_1985 16
30.5 Days 16
Jsor 16
Burkion 17
Fucknag 17
Irony Be My Shield 17
Jakari 19
Party Boat 19
surc 19
Tiggum 20
Juvenalian Satyr 20
MoO 20
Roach Warehouse 20
Go RV! 20
RodShaft 20
NeuroticLich 20
idonotlikepeas 21
Sinestro 22
death .cab for qt 23
Sighence 24

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Oxxidation posted:

The actual plot has almost nothing worth mentioning (aside from the appearance of the second victim, who bizarrely and inexplicably looks as though she's on her way from a mugging or worse),

She looked like an abused prostitute. I can't think of any better candidate for "wanting to get away."

Realizing that made me wonder if the other victims had some subtle sign of escapism.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

On combined position front, Jng is still no.1

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I'm going to snatch last place from Sighence entirely by accident, get hosed Sighence, I'm worse than you and I'm not even trying :smug:

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

I'm going to snatch last place from Sighence entirely by accident, get hosed Sighence, I'm worse than you and I'm not even trying :smug:

I'm gonna be the worst in a completely different fashion without even trying :smug: owned everyone

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I feel like people who think this episode is somehow more sitcom-y than other doctor who episodes either don't watch other doctor who, or don't watch sitcoms.
Yes, it takes place on earth, and the doctor is staying in one general area. Other than that, this is basically just Matt Smith being a goof like he has most of the time until now. And... uh, "nice guy with relationship drama" is pretty much the entire reason Rory got on the TARDIS.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I watch both pretty extensively, surc, and I feel like the characterization is pretty sitcom-y, and Rory's is not. I don't think this guy is a Nice Guy in the full Ross and Rachel way, it just has the will-they/won't-they of every one-off sitcom couple. I think my B indicates it doesn't ruin the episode for me, but it's there.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I think it's fair to say the way the Doctor comes in and lives Craig's life "better" than Craig does comes off as very sitcom'ish. The football and then the later scene at the call center are both incredibly broad.

I was originally going to score this one an A for the game, but decided I was handing out too many A's

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Sorry, kids, this one's being pushed back 'til tomorrow. We're not going to deviate from the two-a-week schedule, though. I have mechanisms in place to ensure that.

Vonnegut Asterisk
Apr 14, 2007

Brandon, you put Pat White down this instant young man!

Oxxidation posted:

Sorry, kids, this one's being pushed back 'til tomorrow. We're not going to deviate from the two-a-week schedule, though. I have mechanisms in place to ensure that.

...by that you mean a really long stick to poke Toxx, right?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Oxxidation posted:

You've got blackmail photos of him playing Gods Eater Burst, don't you

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
actually it's Senran Kagura

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Mo0 posted:

You've got blackmail photos of him playing Gods Eater Burst, don't you

Man, don't even joke about that

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

You're not worse than me yet, buster. :colbert:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

A testimonial from the other thread:

Soothing Vapors posted:

Oh god, I'm going to buy my first Big FInish. What have you done to me Oxxidation

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Please don't trigger me

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

I'm all caught up on the thread... And apparently at the best possible moment, too.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
The Lodger was the episode that convinced me to start following the show, I sure was glad I gave it a second chance after I caught glimpses of the silurian 2parter

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mo0 posted:

You've got blackmail photos of him wearing The Coat, don't you

The assimilation has already begun. ONE OF US ONE OF US etc. etc.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yo dogs better call Saul is p fuckin good

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

Sorry, kids, this one's being pushed back 'til tomorrow.

Toxxupation posted:

:crossarms: I see.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

It is

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Dude it's breaking bad!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Toxxupation posted:

Dude it's breaking bad!

We're not paying you to watch Breaking Bad II, we're paying you to -- well, I guess we're not paying you but get back to work anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Never in my wildest dreams would I imagine I'd be so close to the top with the guessing game - if he ends up loving the finale as much as I did, I can at least maintain my position there.

• Locked thread