Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Hewlett posted:

Never in my wildest dreams would I imagine I'd be so close to the top with the guessing game - if he ends up loving the finale as much as I did, I can at least maintain my position there.

I was keeping track between me you and Noxville and we were SO CLOSE but I hosed myself with the last few episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

I watch both pretty extensively, surc, and I feel like the characterization is pretty sitcom-y, and Rory's is not. I don't think this guy is a Nice Guy in the full Ross and Rachel way, it just has the will-they/won't-they of every one-off sitcom couple. I think my B indicates it doesn't ruin the episode for me, but it's there.

howe_sam posted:

I think it's fair to say the way the Doctor comes in and lives Craig's life "better" than Craig does comes off as very sitcom'ish. The football and then the later scene at the call center are both incredibly broad.

Regarding the Rory comparison, obviously they're written very differently, but people were throwing out the "nice guy with romantic drama" as a reason why craig was a bad character, and my point is that it's not having a nice guy with romantic drama be a main focus of the episode that's the problem.

My previous point still stands on the sitcom thing though. That's a wide net being thrown, and a lot of the time, Doctor who IS a sitcom, it just happens to be a scifi sitcom with more out-there situations for the moral and light-hearted banter to be set against.

surc fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 10, 2015

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

surc posted:

a lot of the time, Doctor who IS a sitcom, it just happens to be a scifi sitcom with more out-there situations for the moral and light-hearted banter to be set against.

I actually disagree a lot. I would love an actual sitcom riff episode of Doctor Who, maybe called Four Cameras or something, which could be done hundreds of different ways, but nothing in New Who has ever felt like a situation comedy to me, minus some characterization of some of the minor or one-off players in episodes that are set in the near-present. It's possible we're quibbling on the definition of the genre here, but I can't see what you're talking about at all.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I think part of the point of The Lodger is that even though Matt Smith/Eleven is freakishly adorable, he is an alien, and he's only good at long-term interactions with a very specific sort of person. Any time the Eleventh Doctor interacts with domestic life (see his carelessness with Amy in Ep 1 of this season), he's not just clueless but careless. It's not that he has any intention of being unkind, it's that human domestic life isn't in him. Basically, not your cuddly best friend, even though he often pretends to be.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The Lodger is just great. Matt Smith is great.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

Dude it's breaking bad!

Anyone who wouldn't consider this a legitimate excuse doesn't know what they're talking about.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

I actually disagree a lot. I would love an actual sitcom riff episode of Doctor Who, maybe called Four Cameras or something, which could be done hundreds of different ways, but nothing in New Who has ever felt like a situation comedy to me, minus some characterization of some of the minor or one-off players in episodes that are set in the near-present. It's possible we're quibbling on the definition of the genre here, but I can't see what you're talking about at all.

We are definitely quibbling on the definition of the genre, because my point is basically entirely about the definition of the genre. :v:

In my experience, people are way too strict about genre-lines and make snap judgements based on what genre this thing is. Especially with something as nebulous as sitcom, where do you draw the line? It seems like in everybody's "no no no, doctor who isn't a sitcom!" what they're really trying to say is "no no no, doctor who isn't written in an insanely familiar and predictable pattern!" which is just :psypop: to me, because that reads the same as saying that it is impossible to have a good sitcom, because it's written well, not written like a sitcom. (Also, Doctor who does have soooooome patterns and tropes it loves to follow)

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

thexerox123 posted:

Anyone who wouldn't consider this a legitimate excuse doesn't know what they're talking about.

Because spin offs of popular shows always turn out great. Not that I'm disparaging BCS- I haven't seen it. But when I first heard about it, I thought "crappy knock off to wring every last dollar out of the franchise." I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Jurgan posted:

Because spin offs of popular shows always turn out great. Not that I'm disparaging BCS- I haven't seen it. But when I first heard about it, I thought "crappy knock off to wring every last dollar out of the franchise." I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

Watch it, you'll be happy.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Jurgan posted:

Watch the first ten minutes of the pilot

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Jurgan posted:

But when I first heard about it, I thought "crappy knock off to wring every last dollar out of the franchise." I'll be happy to be proven wrong.
Breaking Bad's creator voluntarily ended the show while it was still hugely popular because the time was right for the story to end. I have nothing but faith

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

first episode of BCS is okay. enjoyable. I don't think anyone is expecting it to be as good as BB.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

GonSmithe posted:

I was keeping track between me you and Noxville and we were SO CLOSE but I hosed myself with the last few episodes.

I am so close to taking the CineD General Chat crown in this contest. drat it.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Noxville posted:

I am so close to taking the CineD General Chat crown in this contest. drat it.

Right behind you, bud.

Although at this point even a perfect performance from here on out won't get me the crown so, whatever.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

surc posted:

We are definitely quibbling on the definition of the genre, because my point is basically entirely about the definition of the genre. :v:

In my experience, people are way too strict about genre-lines and make snap judgements based on what genre this thing is. Especially with something as nebulous as sitcom, where do you draw the line? It seems like in everybody's "no no no, doctor who isn't a sitcom!" what they're really trying to say is "no no no, doctor who isn't written in an insanely familiar and predictable pattern!" which is just :psypop: to me, because that reads the same as saying that it is impossible to have a good sitcom, because it's written well, not written like a sitcom. (Also, Doctor who does have soooooome patterns and tropes it loves to follow)

No. Doctor Who isn't a sitcom because the climax of each episode is not a punchline. Just because a show has jokes does not make it a sitcom, just like Scrubs having people dying doesn't make it a hospital drama.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Attitude Indicator posted:

first episode of BCS is okay. enjoyable. I don't think anyone is expecting it to be as good as BB.

I am

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

surc posted:

Ah, okay, I understand. Yeah, it's definitely possible to have a good sitcom. I guess the way that I should have put it is that while I feel like the dude in this story is at least not the typical gross Nice Guy, and just kind of a guy who enjoys his quiet life, the woman doesn't have a lot of characterization, and the emotion we're supposed to feel about their relationship suffers a little because of it. On the whole, I think this episode is carried by Matt Smith (and the portion of the writing that deals with the Doctor), and that the episode is good in spite of (and not because of), the man he's lodging with, although I think he is well acted.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Attitude Indicator posted:

You should definitely watch the second episode then, because holy poo poo :stare:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Spin-offs are usually crap, but every once in a while you get a Frasier.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Soothing Vapors posted:

Breaking Bad's creator voluntarily ended the show while it was still hugely popular because the time was right for the story to end.

Well yeah, he didn't want it to become Doctor Who.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Complaining about genre on Who is dumb because one of the strengths of Who is its genre flexibility. They have a magic box that can put them in any place, time, situation, genre.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

after watchin better call saul i'm all like, "doctor who?"

:iceburn: :nattyburn: :master: :stoke: :synpa: :page3: :69snypa:

surc
Aug 17, 2004

^^^^^^
Well great, I put all that effort into my angry post about genres, and it's trounced in quality even before I posted it. :(

----

Gaz-L posted:

No. Doctor Who isn't a sitcom because the climax of each episode is not a punchline. Just because a show has jokes does not make it a sitcom, just like Scrubs having people dying doesn't make it a hospital drama.

Except for the huge numbers of sitcom episodes that end with either A) some moral to take away, or B) something sappy and sweet. Which of course, Doctor Who would never do.

Would you say that Spaced isn't a sitcom? There's a bunch of comedy, but really the climax of the episode is usually something about relationships between two people so I guess it's a relationship drama right?

This went a little off track though, My original point was, the distinctions people are using to call this episode a sitcom (and therefore lesser than other Doctor Who), are totally false distinctions because this show does sitcom stuff ALL THE TIME, just like it does pretty much all other tv genres at some point.

E: Also please forgive any swapping of letters mid-word, I'm typing these on my lovely netbook keyboard in between things at work, and my ranting goes faster than it can process accurately.

surc fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 11, 2015

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
poo poo just got real in here. :ohdear:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Complaining about genre on Who is dumb because one of the strengths of Who is its genre flexibility. They have a magic box that can put them in any place, time, situation, genre.

I agree with this wholeheartedly, actually.

In retrospect, I should have phrased my (minor) problems with the characterization in a completely different way, and my description was inadequate, which is why surc and I were mostly just arguing semantics. Apologies, surc!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

surc posted:

^^^^^^
Well great, I put all that effort into my angry post about genres, and it's trounced in quality even before I posted it. :(

----

Except for the huge numbers of sitcom episodes that end with either A) some moral to take away, or B) something sappy and sweet. Which of course, Doctor Who would never do.

Would you say that Spaced isn't a sitcom? There's a bunch of comedy, but really the climax of the episode is usually something about relationships between two people so I guess it's a relationship drama right?

This went a little off track though, My original point was, the distinctions people are using to call this episode a sitcom (and therefore lesser than other Doctor Who), are totally false distinctions because this show does sitcom stuff ALL THE TIME, just like it does pretty much all other tv genres at some point.

E: Also please forgive any swapping of letters mid-word, I'm typing these on my lovely netbook keyboard in between things at work, and my ranting goes faster than it can process accurately.
Spaced IS a sitcom. And kinda puts paid to that 'by these definitions, there can't be a good sitcom' argument you threw out. It's a really good sitcom. And a lot of the episodes do end on jokes. Like Tim freaking out and punching David Walliams because he thinks he's a demon. Or Tim and Daisy having a pretend gunfight with a bunch of stoned chavs. Or Tim and Mike reenacting Platoon over a paintball match. Or Bill Bailey begging Tim to come and work for him again. Yes, they comment on the relationships. They're also funny as gently caress.

Comedy can be meaningful. Nothing says that drama has a monopoly on commenting on the human condition. And sitcoms can bend genre and do touching moments. When they do it too much, we get the nebulous 'dramedy'.

The bolding (mine) is, I think, where I'm most in disagreement with you, because I'd absolutely describe The Lodger as "Who-does-sitcom" but I in no way mean that as a disparagement, and maybe I missed the people who were using it as such in the thread.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

Or Bill Bailey begging Tim to come and work for him again.

BABYLON 5'S A BIG PILE OF poo poo!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Oxxidation: boy where have we seen those hand-guns before
gently caress
THE GODDAMN NESTENE CONSCIOUSNESS
Oxxidation: RETURN OF THE PLASTIC BOYFRIEND, MOTHERFUCKER
gently caress YOU
gently caress YOU
MOTHERFUCKER
gently caress
Oxxidation: PI
PI
PI
PIZZAAAAA

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

this...this is the episode this thread was made for

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
I simulwatched the last twenty minutes or so of it when I saw you posting on twitter and holy poo poo I forgot how amazingly hosed everyone is at the end of this episode, it's amazing

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

We have arrived at last.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

quote:

‏@SAOccupation 6m6 minutes ago
Man there sure are a lot of lovely doctor who villains

You are not wrong, my friend.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, the ending of this episode is astoundingly bleak (and that's great). I always say the most heartbreaking moment is that even up to the end the Doctor doesn't grasp that HE is the bad guy, that they haven't come to ask for his help, they've come to lock him away. He is not the wizard who defeats the bloodstained monster, he is the bloodstained monster.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

The last 10 or 15 minutes of this episode are just incredible. Occ's posting, as ever, is crazy ambiguous in regards to whether or not he liked it - but he should like it. It's just so well done and amazingly heartbreaking, and is probably the best Doctor Who cliffhanger ever. How the hell do you bounce back from that!?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I cannot loving believe that the bad guy in rose is plot crucial to "The Pandorica Opens"

I cannot loving believe this loving bullshit

Hey Occ from 6 months ago, remember when you rightly said you hated nearly all of that poo poo? WELL GUESS WHAT MOTHER FUCKER IT'S GONNA BE INTEGRAL TO AN EPISODE YOU ADORE A HALF YEAR LATER

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Toxxupation posted:

I cannot loving believe that the bad guy in rose is plot crucial to "The Pandorica Opens"

I cannot loving believe this loving bullshit

Hey Occ from 6 months ago, remember when you rightly said you hated nearly all of that poo poo? WELL GUESS WHAT MOTHER FUCKER IT'S GONNA BE INTEGRAL TO AN EPISODE YOU ADORE A HALF YEAR LATER

the autons date back to 1970 fyi

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

quote:

Occupation ‏@SAOccupation 11m11 minutes ago
Man there sure are a lot of lovely doctor who villains

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

god the fact that i have a paper trail of my reactions makes this so much better/worse

what in the loving gently caress

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I bet he was so happy when he saw Rory.

And then...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Yeah, it didn't feel to me specifically WOAH REMEMBER THE FIRST EPISODE, it's more, hey, here's just another one of the numerous Doctor Who baddies.

• Locked thread