Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

great now that my map is complete just to put in the title and OH NO

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Offler posted:

One of the hosts of a podcast I listen to used to tell stories of when he took part in focus groups for tv-pilots. They would be given a kind of remote with a knob that they were supposed to turn to indicate how much they liked/disliked various characters, plots etc. The guy leading the group would always guide them through a test before they started watching the show where he would ask everyone to turn their knob all the way towards "like" or "dislike" just to check that the equipment worked.

Every single time there would be one or two dudes who would "fail" during this intro, even after one or two promptings by the leader.

"Ok, there's a few of you who still haven't turned your dial to the right. Can everyone please check again that YOUR dial is turned ALL THE WAY to the right?" [ten second pause] "Ok, there's still one of you that hasn't turned their dial." [another few seconds] "Nr. 8, can you please turn your dial to the right?" [pause] "That's you, mister Johnson, you're number 8. Can you please turn your dial as well?"

"Oh, sorry"

"Thank you"
That's like two different Simpsons skits mashed together

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Illinois doesn't have term limits; it has sentencing guidelines.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

Nielsen ratings are up; Denmark confirmed for another season.

They cancelled Yugoslavia for so many lovely spinoffs, and we still can't get Denmark off the air despite jumping the shark in the viking ark. Not everyone is as immortal as China!

Ussr 2 really failing to live up to the first as well.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

San Marino fans stay winning, that's 1,723 years on the air now

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I wanna join the Pancake Alliance

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Apparently all of Switzerland now speaks German.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
There was a great advertising campaign for the Italian-speaking part like 15 years ago that was basically, "We're like Italy, but not run by Italians."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Groda posted:

There was a great advertising campaign for the Italian-speaking part like 15 years ago that was basically, "We're like Italy, but not run by Italians."

This works for all of Switzerland’s neighbors, except Liechtenstein.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Big Germany (that somehow excludes Netherlands and Belgium) has been canceled for being woke now (and excluding Netherlands and Belgium).

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Big Germany (that somehow excludes Netherlands and Belgium) has been canceled for being woke now (and excluding Netherlands and Belgium).

Doesn't it also somehow exclude Austria?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And the Sudetenland. And Nord Italia. Serious lack of ambition on the behalf of fictional Big Germany when they were off conquering Portugal and Morocco.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

this is just a map of the EU post 2010

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thread, could you maybe help me out?

A friend is asking for a map of Europe which shows how many weeks it takes native English speakers to learn the basics of different European languages.

It was probably posted in this thread several years ago.

If anyone knows what I'm referring to and has it sitting around, please share it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Carbon dioxide posted:

A friend is asking for a map of Europe which shows how many weeks it takes native English speakers to learn the basics of different European languages.

If anyone knows what I'm referring to and has it sitting around, please share it.
If you write the above into google, you'll find a variety of maps to choose from.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Guavanaut posted:

Nobody noticed that Italy finally can has Fiume :italy:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Carbon dioxide posted:

The map you’re remembering is probably based on U.S. State Department classifications.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Here's one. Let in mind that it's specifically for Americans, who are stupid about languages because they barely learn a second language. This makes a language like Finnish, which is incredibly easy, seem hard because the concept of a different grammar is alien to Americans.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for the tips and the map!

BonHair posted:

Here's one. Let in mind that it's specifically for Americans, who are stupid about languages because they barely learn a second language. This makes a language like Finnish, which is incredibly easy, seem hard because the concept of a different grammar is alien to Americans.

I'm not sure I agree with that last part. Other than my native language of Dutch, I speak English well and I understand some very basic German and French. German is easy for basic sentences but very difficult to get fully right because it has 4 grammatical cases which I can't keep apart, and the only way to deal with that is to learn all word forms by heart. Same for the grammatical gender of each word.

Finnish sounds daunting to me, not only because it's about as far from a Germanic language as you can get, but also because, from what I heard, it has like a gazillion different grammatical cases.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BonHair posted:

Doesn't Finnish have like zero commonalities with any other Western European language? Like, English has more borrowed words from Arabic than Finnish.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Even children can speak Finnish in Finland

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ras Het posted:

Even children can speak Finnish in Finland

Yes cruelty towards children remains a persistent problem in many societies

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

BonHair posted:

Here's one. Let in mind that it's specifically for Americans, who are stupid about languages because they barely learn a second language.

Europeans only speak their own language, plus English -- just like Americans.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I should point out a huge chunk of people in America speak languages other than English, many as their first language, they just tend to not be white tourists in Europe.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

What is the definition of “speaking and reading proficiency"?

I moved to France and know a lot of Americans and non Americans and I can tell you for certain the proficiency is quite low even after 24 weeks of studying. Unless this is like all day every day studying, but even then I doubt it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

kiminewt posted:

I moved to France and know a lot of Americans and non Americans and I can tell you for certain the proficiency is quite low even after 24 weeks of studying. Unless this is like all day every day studying, but even then I doubt it.

You can learn quite a bit if it's high intensity, and then you keep doing it every day. It's just you'll lose it pretty quick if you don't keep using it. For a diplomat I would assume their day job involves speaking the local language quite a bit every day. An ex-pat who defaults to English the moment they realize the person they are talking to can also speak English, not great odds of them retaining it.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Carbon dioxide posted:

Finnish sounds daunting to me, not only because it's about as far from a Germanic language as you can get, but also because, from what I heard, it has like a gazillion different grammatical cases.

Those are just instead of prepositions

Sort of like "the book is [the table]+on"

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

kiminewt posted:

Speaking 3 (General Professional Proficiency) posted:

Able to speak the language with sufficient structural accuracy and vocabulary to participate effectively in most formal and informal conversations in practical, social and professional topics. Nevertheless, the individual's limitations generally restrict the professional contexts of language use to matters of shared knowledge and/or international convention. Discourse is cohesive. The individual uses the language acceptably, but with some noticeable imperfections; yet, errors virtually never interfere with understanding and rarely disturb the native speaker. The individual can effectively combine structure and vocabulary to convey his/her meaning accurately. The individual speaks readily and fills pauses suitably. In face-to-face conversation with natives speaking the standard dialect at a normal rate of speech, comprehension is quite complete. Although cultural references, proverbs and the implications of nuances and idiom may not be fully understood, the individual can easily repair the conversation. Pronunciation may be obviously foreign. Individual sounds are accurate: but stress, intonation and pitch control may be faulty.

quote:

These estimates are from the US agency that trains State Department employees for things like long term embassy or trade mission postings.

The time estimates are for "Your full time job for the next 30 weeks is to learn French, with ~5 hours of classroom instruction 5 days a week, and about the same in homework and self study every day" type programs

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Air Skwirl posted:

You can learn quite a bit if it's high intensity, and then you keep doing it every day. It's just you'll lose it pretty quick if you don't keep using it. For a diplomat I would assume their day job involves speaking the local language quite a bit every day. An ex-pat who defaults to English the moment they realize the person they are talking to can also speak English, not great odds of them retaining it.
Yeah, I imagine the people that's targeted at have a major leg up compared to the regular person. Their chosen profession should weed out a ton of the worst traits for learning a new language, resulting in a candidate pool that's likely more interested and experienced in learning a new language, even before you take into account their simple selfish interest in proving yourself valuable and capable to you employer.

Groda posted:

Europeans only speak their own language, plus English -- just like Americans.
Don't think we don't see what you did here, singling out speaking specifically.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005
I made a IV* category jump from Finnish to learning English when I was a kid with no problem :smuggo:

Mainly thanks to LucasArts, maybe the US state department should translate Monkey Island to Finnish and then give it to all diplomats who drew the short straw to be posted here.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

To be clear, my broad generalisation is based on teaching Danish to adult immigrants. The Americans were mostly white exchange students, and just terrible at anything that wasn't 1:1 translations. The Chinese who were extremely good at memorising and repeating stuff without understanding a single thing were worse though. Also the various middle eastern people with physical or mental head trauma, but that's a different league of bad. Obviously there were exceptions too.

The thing about Finnish is that, aside from the vocabulary being entirely new, it's pretty simple and the rules apply in 98% of cases, and a lot of words are derivations which makes it pretty easy once you get past the first hurdle.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Air Skwirl posted:

Doesn't Finnish have like zero commonalities with any other Western European language? Like, English has more borrowed words from Arabic than Finnish.

Finnish belongs to the Finno-Ugric language family, like Hungarian, although the connection between these two languages is very distant. It is, however, closely related to Estonian, and I assume both languages were part of the same dialect continuum until it was cut in twain by the Russians.

It is indeed unrelated to the Indo-European languages that cover most of Europe, although they must have a bunch of loanwords from Latin, French, Swedish, English, etc. Right? So I wouldn't say there are zero commonalities.

steinrokkan posted:

Yes cruelty towards children remains a persistent problem in many societies

lol

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The most important factors when it comes to learning a foreign language are exposure and attitude, not so much how close it is to your own language. Finnish is as unrelated to English as you can get, yet most Finns speak excellent English. This is because they are regularly exposed to English-language media from a young age, and as speakers of a minor, relatively isolated language they don't have any mental roadblocks preventing them from engaging with it.

Conversely and somewhat understandably, native speakers of relatively widespread and prestigious languages often don't see the utility in learning other languages, and in many cases they've also convinced themselves that it's just too difficult, that their brain doesn't work that way, it's hopeless. Very often this goes hand in hand. There is a French phrase that we sometimes refer to ironically in Flanders, "je [ne] suis pas doué pour les langues", which can be loosely translated as "I don't have a knack for languages" or "I'm not linguistically gifted". You will occasionally hear (often older) francophones repeat this, or something similar, in order to justify why they barely know any Dutch, even though it would objectively make their lives much easier. I had a coworker like this when I still worked in Brussels, a francophone woman in her fifties. She had worked in bilingual environments for decades, had even lived in Flanders at one point, and still struggled with basic Dutch. This was a normally intelligent woman. The real issue was her attitude, which caused her to actively avoid engaging with Dutch, or any other non-French language that could potentially cause friction.

No, you will never be able to master a foreign language quite to the same extent as the one you speak natively. By definition I will never be a native English speaker, because I wasn't raised in English as a child. It will always be foreign to me. But you can get close, at the very least to the point where you are able to easily communicate with other speakers of the target language. And it doesn't matter that much how 'gifted' you are, or how 'difficult' the language you're trying to learn is. In principle even systematic study is unnecessary, although obviously many people prefer to do it in this more structured way. You are a human being, your brain is inherently wired for language, ultimately all that is required is regular exposure over a sufficiently long period of time.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

BonHair posted:

Idk what you’re talking about, a large population of Americans know Spanish??? We are dumb about geography by and large for drat sure but you’re clearly stereotyping white middle+ texans as all Americans

Air Skwirl posted:

I should point out a huge chunk of people in America speak languages other than English, many as their first language, they just tend to not be white tourists in Europe.

This

Diqnol fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 11, 2024

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Americans do have a bit of disadvantage learning new languages from English spreading too effectively, so you have to get pretty deep into many countries to be properly immersed in the language; the big internationally-connected cities will be too easy to make your way without learning. Although possibly English as a weird bastard language with a lot of vestigial remnants of alternate grammar might be a better first language for learning other languages from, because you can make a lot of alternate grammar make sense.

Finnish spelling does make me feel a little like I'm having a seizure though.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

BonHair posted:

I remember last time this was posted in here someone was incredulous that they didn’t have a classification for Luxembourgish

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

BonHair posted:

The thing about Finnish is that, aside from the vocabulary being entirely new, it's pretty simple and the rules apply in 98% of cases, and a lot of words are derivations which makes it pretty easy once you get past the first hurdle.

based on the explanations from the goon who posts finnish comics finnish can't be that hard because they just use the same few dozen words for their entire language

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

To be absolutely clear, the number one best way to learn a foreign language in my experience is to marry a native speaker. Second best is not speaking English (or any other language the natives speak).