Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atreiden
May 4, 2008

yea I can understand why they take many liberties with the truth and mostly I don't mind, but the two episodes where they just straight up re-inacted two written accounts just stood out weaker to me. I guess I had just hoped for something more than yet another Ibn Fadlan funeral scene. But yes it does make good television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Like I was saying earlier, I can't get too upset because it's not like they're making poo poo out of thin air either. Accounts of crazy ship burials and human sacrifices are part of the historical record, even if scholars take a more skeptical, nuanced view of things like that these days. In some ways it's a quite interesting to see the Vikings portrayed in a way that synthesizes the idealized version of themselves as from their own poems and stuff and then merging that with outsider accounts written by terrified monks and other sensationalizing travellers.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

BrianWilly posted:

This may be an obvious question in retrospect, but is it really all that important for Ragnar to have more sons? Doesn't he already have one?

With all the wife swapping maybe Ragnar and his wife know Bjorn isn't his.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So is that it for there season?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The finale is Sunday.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The Uppsala episode was visually beautiful and I had never even considered that Vikings might have sacrificed to such an extent.

The sets are pretty drat great in this show but I still feel the editing is a bit sloppy in places.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Thanks to the Onion AV found the track for the village invasion scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybuop0346y0

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Zzulu posted:

The Uppsala episode was visually beautiful and I had never even considered that Vikings might have sacrificed to such an extent.

The sets are pretty drat great in this show but I still feel the editing is a bit sloppy in places.

The Vikings didn't sacrifice animals that often, and certainly not humans often. Most vikings were farmers and didn't have the resources to be sacrificing their livestock all the time. Humans were usually sacrificed only in times of serious crisis.

There was a lot of great imagery in this episode but it does give the (incorrect) impression that the Vikings were very heavy on sacrificing animals and humans.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
why... all i got was, they sacrificed a human when a man of great importance died, and every nine years at Uppsala

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

hypersleep posted:

The Vikings didn't sacrifice animals that often, and certainly not humans often. Most vikings were farmers and didn't have the resources to be sacrificing their livestock all the time. Humans were usually sacrificed only in times of serious crisis.

There was a lot of great imagery in this episode but it does give the (incorrect) impression that the Vikings were very heavy on sacrificing animals and humans.

This was a voluntary gathering of denizens from across the Viking territories that occurred every nine years, it didn't really make them seem that crazy about sacrifice. They seemed really serious about it when they did do it, but not so much about it as a regular event.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

McSpanky posted:

This was a voluntary gathering of denizens from across the Viking territories that occurred every nine years, it didn't really make them seem that crazy about sacrifice. They seemed really serious about it when they did do it, but not so much about it as a regular event.

Remember this episode was completely based on Adam of Bremens recollection in "Gesta Hammaburgensis Ecclesiae Pontificum" which was written 1075, almost 300 years after the time period the show covers, by a christian in northern Germany. The source is not trustworthy and doesn't match up to the archaeological evidence.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I don't want this season to end!

I'm assuming we won't get this back until Fall at the earliest?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

My guess is early 2014.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Well, I bought mead for the finale tonight, so it'll have to do.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

I have a question for the history buffs, was the sword that the King was using during the sacrifices a greek sword? It looked like a kopis, but I've read that there were a plethora of different sword styles throughout the history of Europe. It was just something odd that caught my eye as different.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
I watch this obsessively with my dad. If something happens to Lagertha, Bjorn will be my only consolation. Him and the priest; they need a spin-off buddy/stoner comedy.

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

Last episode of Vikings for a while :(

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
I thought the other Jarl was Nikolau Waster-Caldau :allears: dammnit, if only.

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

this Jarl is kind of a dick

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
He challenged her to a game of wits. This should be interesting

EDIT: Bjorn is reacting much the same way I would at his age to the sight of a hot lady wearing nothing but a literal fishnet

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 29, 2013

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

I don't see this ending well for the King. Or the plagued home village.

Steriletom
May 11, 2009

My inability to write has angered the ghost of Thunderdome! Beware my example, lest you be haunted.
This might just be the most boring season finale in history.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
They're probably building up some huge cliff hanger that will leave everyone yelling at the screen when it goes off.

Also Gyda :(

Edit: ...or not. Welp till 2014.

Erghh fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 29, 2013

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Good...:munch: War

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 29, 2013

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

The Dodge commercial about the viking axeman and the bridge was cool. Anyone know the full story or at least where they got it from?

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Tumbleweed Chingada posted:

The Dodge commercial about the viking axeman and the bridge was cool. Anyone know the full story or at least where they got it from?

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/stamfordbridge.html

Something a bit more involved: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Stamford_Bridge

They could have had more blurbs too. AFAIK that's the only one they've done.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I want to not like the King, but he's just too much like Floki for me to hate that dude. Plus Earl Dickbag is an rear end and I look forward to him getting rolled.

I was sure they were going to have Lagertha die from whatever plague that was. Poor Gyda, the nicest little vikingess.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Tumbleweed Chingada posted:

It's a cool story about a Viking who held off the Saxons at Stamford Bridge while the rest of the army retreated to get their armor, which they left at the ships like a bunch of idiots. He holds them off, then a Saxon gets in a little boat and stabs him in the groin with a spear through the slits in the bridge. The Saxon army pursues the Vikings...and absolutely slaughters them, killing their king and ending the invasion. They got their comeuppance later though when the Normans conquered England three weeks later.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I feel like the finale was trying to say that the pretty lady was a test from the gods, Ragnar failed, and his village got ravaged by plague and his daughter died as punishment.

Or at least that's how he's gonna view it, I'm guessing.

Shade2142
Oct 10, 2012

Rollin'

qbert posted:

I feel like the finale was trying to say that the pretty lady was a test from the gods, Ragnar failed, and his village got ravaged by plague and his daughter died as punishment.

He also got a child on the way, exactly what he asked for from the gods. We'll see in season two I guess.

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race
That was a rather underwhelming end but it gives me hope for the next season to start with some epic violence :black101:

Poor Gyda, she was Athelstan's BFF :<

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

As soon as they came upon Aslaug bathing I knew exactly what was gonna go down. That's a pretty well known part of the Ragnar history/myth.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Deadpool posted:

As soon as they came upon Aslaug bathing I knew exactly what was gonna go down. That's a pretty well known part of the Ragnar history/myth.

Yea, I loved that part. Was a nice nod to the saga and I look forward to see if they keep it up with their son. Sigurd snake-in-the-eyes, whos irises should look like snakes

Other than that, I honestly found this episode to be fairly borring.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

canuckanese posted:

It's a cool story about a Viking who held off the Saxons at Stamford Bridge while the rest of the army retreated to get their armor, which they left at the ships like a bunch of idiots. He holds them off, then a Saxon gets in a little boat and stabs him in the groin with a spear through the slits in the bridge. The Saxon army pursues the Vikings...and absolutely slaughters them, killing their king and ending the invasion. They got their comeuppance later though when the Normans conquered England three weeks later.

Yeah and in many ways Stamford bridge despite being a big victory set up their defeat at Hastings since the king drove his troops hard in a long distance forced march to meet the Norman invasion.

It was a pretty boring episode, the show seems best with all the combat scenes and also Floki plate smashing goodness. While the scheming and political aspects aren't as captivating.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
This show felt like it lost steam near the end; I think if they were going to have a one-season test run they should have finished on a climactic showdown with the Englishmen, even if that wouldn't be as historically accurate. That said, the woman that plays Aslaug is easily one of the most beautiful people I have ever seen.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Admiral Bosch posted:

This show felt like it lost steam near the end; I think if they were going to have a one-season test run they should have finished on a climactic showdown with the Englishmen, even if that wouldn't be as historically accurate. That said, the woman that plays Aslaug is easily one of the most beautiful people I have ever seen.

:allears:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

qbert posted:

I don't think so. Norse gods strike me as one of the pantheons least likely to care about male fidelity. If the plague get's tied to a divine punishment it seems most likely the plague's tie to Siggi and Rollo's flip to the Earl would get Rollo the blame.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Admiral Bosch posted:

idk I felt like the creepy music really added weight to the myriad things going on, and yes Aslaug is bangin

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

No More Heroes posted:

idk I felt like the creepy music really added weight to the myriad things going on, and yes Aslaug is bangin

Don't get me wrong, last week's episode with all the Wardruna was really loving cool. My roommate has one of their albums and I listened to it basically the whole week.

e: vv you cray

Admiral Bosch fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Admiral Bosch posted:

I don't feel that way about her at all. I feel like she's kind of odd looking. Like in the picture they chose for this interview.

• Locked thread