Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Sometimes, I think that Nintendo has been trying to kill Metroid since Prime 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

Tracula posted:

Up to Prime 1 is the only design for Samus that matters. Offical art:

What the gently caress happened where she went from some big take no poo poo amazon to some five-foot, 90 pound woman who needs a man to save her by shooting her in the back?

This is just something Nintendo Power contracted an artist to draw, nobody who actually was involved with Metroid or Nintendo approved it.

Samus has always been Japanese fap bait, ever since they made her blonde and blue eyed.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
You guys are so closed-minded about Samus.

quote:

By this definition anything we ever model for a character of any gender is going to be sexist or otherwise bigoted, because it can be attributed to something else that *someone* (in another word, ANYONE) in the world could *potentially* see as biased. I understand and agree that sexism is something that is socially ugly and needs to be discouraged, but calling every darn thing that could potentially offend someone "bigoted" is as big a disservice to society as anything that is actually sexist, because it dilutes the meaning of the word. People are so quick these days to use terms like this that they are beginning to fall on dead ears and the real actual problems of true forms of bigotry are starting to just go unnoticed. I could give examples, but my even mentioning some of them would have me publicly castigated, not because they are not good examples, but because they aren't PC to mention publicly.

quote:

Heels are automatically sexist then? Anything sexy is automatically sexist? This is the dumbest thing I've ever read. I'm a gay male saying that I don't mind women being sexually appealing in games, and that it's certainly not sexist for a character to dress in a way that makes sense in the context.

Why are they heels? Samus fights more commonly in the Varia suit, which you may have noticed is very cozy. She needs a skin tight outfit to fit in the suit. You should be thankful she isn't naked in there. The heels as compared to boots, are smaller, and able to fit in the suit. It's not sexualization, it's practicality.

quote:

So when the music industry is totally sexist against men and no one
complains, is that ok? Countless songs dub men as womens "territory",
their "right" ot property" and they sing about beating men, trashing
their cars and in the video there are men on their knees in thongs or
otherwise. See that's fine to women, but when a male dominated industry
has a tight outfitted women OH MY GOD "SEXIIIIIIIIIIIIIST".

Not to mention the likes of thunder from down under.

Get over it.
http://dispatches.cheatcc.com/855

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I thought thunder from down under was what they called farts in Australia.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
i thinmk samus has big titties rthat i would like to put my dick in between

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MizPiz posted:

You guys are so closed-minded about Samus.

http://dispatches.cheatcc.com/855

Am I the only one who is constantly weirded out (okay, there's a lot of things to be weirded out by in this thread) by gay guys on the internet saying that they don't mind women being "sexually appealing" in games like its something they should mind? It seems like a really strange knee-jerk reversal of how young, straight males are conditioned to be immediately disgusted by male nudity but then along comes this guy who thinks all gay men should immediately start vomiting whenever they see an attractive woman anywhere but he doesn't because he's so enlightened. Clearly if he, a gay man that totally fucks other men you guys, doesn't mind seeing a woman in a skintight body suit that no one else should be able to complain about anything.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

Kibayasu posted:

Am I the only one who is constantly weirded out (okay, there's a lot of things to be weirded out by in this thread) by gay guys on the internet saying that they don't mind women being "sexually appealing" in games like its something they should mind?
They're not gay guys, they're sexually and socially immature heterosexual men pretending to be what they heard gay guys are like. Pretty much any time you hear someone describe themselves as a cartoonish stereotype that only exists in people who have literally never interacted with the group in question, you can be pretty safe in assuming they aren't that. It's weird, but in terms of things people will pretend to be for the sake of adding weight to a dumb opinion it's pretty tame- if anybody could find that thing with the guy pretending to be a little girl to explain why pedophilia in some JRPG was acceptable you'd be horrified.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
You missed the best one.

quote:

Imo the only overly sexualized male character was Captain Falcon, everyone else seems to be designed just for guys, including the super muscled characters.

But there are examples of de-sexualization in Super Smash. For one, Princess Peach, and to a lesser extend Zelda, have gotten de-sexualized in Brawl in comparison to their Melee counterparts. Rosalina is obviously not sexualized, though an argument could be made for the Wii Fit Traiiner.

And yes, the new Samus looks EVEN hotter than before and, sexist or not, as a guy I prefer her that way. I mean dayum!

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

You missed the best one.

That the Wii Fit trainer can be described as "sexualized" because she is literally just a human female is pretty much on par for these idiots. I guess they'll jerk it to Mr. Game and Watch next.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
We all know Kirby is clearly the most sexualized for some folks out there because, well, :getin:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

quote:

Whilst you were in the shower, have you ever thought to yourself "Dayuum, that shower gel looks and smells de-lish!". Well, if you have, you've come to the right place!

Shower gels, shampoos, conditioners, all sometimes have flavours of 'Citrus Fruit', 'Strawberry', or 'Green Tea'. They begin to actually smell tasty! A part of you wants to try some, to see if they're as tasty as they smell, but you dare not.

So this thread is where you share all the tasty shower products you wish you would taste, but don't!

----------

I believe this has Eucalyptus and Citrus Oils, making it smell so drat good on your body:

And this Tesco Brand surprisingly smells good; very lemony:

Doc Neutral
Jan 31, 2014

Although hilarious what does this have to do with Gamers.txt(don't tell me it's über hardcore gamer shampoo)?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Oh whoops, did I forget to link the source? It's from ZeldaUniverse.net.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Do guild names count as gamers.txt? Because boy does TERA have some classy guild names.

:pedo:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jesus Christ. Although googling TERA, I think it suddenly makes a lot more sense.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

ImpAtom posted:

Jesus Christ. Although googling TERA, I think it suddenly makes a lot more sense.

It's pretty loving foul, there are even nude patches floating around. :barf:

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

average LoL player posted:

Alright guys, gifting a girl won't get them to like you back....TRUST. SO JUST SAVE YOUR GOD drat RP ON YOURSELF.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

Hey, who hasn't tried tasting that strawberry shampoo? (It didn't taste like strawberry) :(

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Selklubber posted:

Hey, who hasn't tried tasting that strawberry shampoo? (It didn't taste like strawberry) :(

lol

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

At least they're bathing. :unsmith:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

It does smell super lemony, kinda like lemon starburst.

e: Have not tried eating it.

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 19, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

iuvian posted:

This is just something Nintendo Power contracted an artist to draw, nobody who actually was involved with Metroid or Nintendo approved it

Actually this was made when Super Metroid came out because it's what they decided she would look like at the time. She looks like this in the Japanese TV spots for the game also. Contrast that with the ads Nintendo Japan ran for Zero Mission where it's mostly zoomed in shots of an Asian model's butt.

Beyond the character design though, you can definitely see Nintendo's attempts to make the series appeal to Japanese gamers more as it goes on. A succinct way to do this is to look at the Japanese commercials for the games. I think you can even see them all in one like five minute youtube video.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Neo Rasa posted:

Actually this was made when Super Metroid came out because it's what they decided she would look like at the time. She looks like this in the Japanese TV spots for the game also. Contrast that with the ads Nintendo Japan ran for Zero Mission where it's mostly zoomed in shots of an Asian model's butt.

Beyond the character design though, you can definitely see Nintendo's attempts to make the series appeal to Japanese gamers more as it goes on. A succinct way to do this is to look at the Japanese commercials for the games. I think you can even see them all in one like five minute youtube video.

There was also an official Super Metroid manga that came out in Japan in 1994 where Samus was an airhead with a fixation on round shiny things who was constantly being chastised by her military commanders, sooo...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

There was also an official Super Metroid manga that came out in Japan in 1994 where Samus was an airhead with a fixation on round shiny things who was constantly being chastised by her military commanders, sooo...

That's a joke manga. Like explicitly, it's in a style called "4-koma' and used for silly exaggerated parodies very frequently.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Whatever happened to gifting people things because you like to make people happy? :(

Doc Neutral
Jan 31, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

That's a joke manga. Like explicitly, it's in a style called "4-koma' and used for silly exaggerated parodies very frequently.

The jokes are unfunny and are based around the stereotypical airhead blonde woman.

Pomp posted:

Whatever happened to gifting people things because you like to make people happy? :(

I think the gift of giving is lost on many people, it's more of an attempted trade when you do with a certain expectation.

Doc Neutral fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 19, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I don't know if I'd go that far. These are the equivalent of churned out sitcom episodes. Like the first strip posted there where she finds a power up and is awed/confused by it. You can replace her with any character and you'd have the joke strip for that character's game. I've seen those for Contra, Ghost in the Shell, etc. They're done by template practically.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah I was gonna say, every popular game of every type from Etrian Odyssey to Resident Evil to King of Fighters to Contra has a billion of these.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 19, 2014

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Neo Rasa posted:

What gets me is that even after this ultimately proved disastrous with Other M, which performed badly everywhere, they're still using the Other M Varia suit and face design. Hell, Other M has a better Samus model than Smash 4.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Chaltab posted:

What gets me is that even after this ultimately proved disastrous with Other M, which performed badly everywhere, they're still using the Other M Varia suit and face design. Hell, Other M has a better Samus model than Smash 4.

That high heels zero suit was so bad in Smash 4 I had to look it up the first time I saw it to verify it wasn't a photoshop. It's just nuts to me that they'll ignore Prime 1 which is one of the most acclaimed games ever and even Prime 2 and 3 which were still well received and say "You know? gently caress it. Lets go with Other M for a suit design and sexualize her zero suit EVEN MORE!"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Speaking of Metroid Prime and critically acclaimed and gamers.txt...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGnF2NXy5es

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Rasa, I looked up the commercials like you said... the only one that really sexualized Samus was the Japanese Zero Mission commercial and sort of the US Echoes commercial. It did provide me with a pretty :rolleyes:.jpg though.

Note the date the video was posted.

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 19, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Other M fans never forgive, never forget. Never learned how to count.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOfVfgo7zvY

This interview with Jessica Martin was one of many damage control presentations they did about Other M after release. The best is the "no really the voice acting is SUPPOSED to be bland" part.

The interviews with Reggie were the best, he was genuinely puzzled and confused at the game selling badly.

I think part of why I like talking about games that had a horrible direction or reception these days is more for the gamers.txt coming from the developers than from the gamers.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 19, 2014

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

The best is the "no really the voice acting is SUPPOSED to be bland" part.

Though I'm loathe to speak in its defense (could this even be called a defense?), it actually was supposed to be bland. Sakamoto personally stepped in and directed the English VAs himself, wanting them to be more listless and dry.

Why a Japanese guy decided to step in to coach English VAs (who are legitimately good actors at that)...well, let's just say the game's dev history is chock full of developers.txt. :v:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

TerminusEst13 posted:

Though I'm loathe to speak in its defense (could this even be called a defense?), it actually was supposed to be bland. Sakamoto personally stepped in and directed the English VAs himself, wanting them to be more listless and dry.

Why a Japanese guy decided to step in to coach English VAs (who are legitimately good actors at that)...well, let's just say the game's dev history is chock full of developers.txt. :v:

I'd say game_devs.txt fits in just fine here. And that's not so much a defense of Other M as it is excusing the voice actress and damning Sakamoto even more.

Doc Neutral
Jan 31, 2014

Neo Rasa posted:

Other M fans never forgive, never forget. Never learned how to count.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOfVfgo7zvY

This interview with Jessica Martin was one of many damage control presentations they did about Other M after release. The best is the "no really the voice acting is SUPPOSED to be bland" part.

The interviews with Reggie were the best, he was genuinely puzzled and confused at the game selling badly.

I think part of why I like talking about games that had a horrible direction or reception these days is more for the gamers.txt coming from the developers than from the gamers.

There should be a videogamedev.txt or gamingindustry.txt containting stupid, hilarious or plain insane moments from videogame devs, gaming industry and games "journalists".

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

TerminusEst13 posted:

I'm aware of this because it's like the first thing she says in the clip I posted.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Found this on The Escapist:

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of Metroid Prime and critically acclaimed and gamers.txt...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGnF2NXy5es

gamingjournalism.txt

I was crying and laughing the entire time. Why not Silent Hill 2? Hell, even Dark Souls would've made a better fit.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm aware of this because it's like the first thing she says in the clip I posted.

welp sorry guess i probably should've checked it out before posting on the phone :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Arcsquad12 posted:

Found this on The Escapist:

Why are these people even alive, anyone that dumb should've forgotten how to breath years ago.

• Locked thread