Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Monicro posted:

N:

V: hell yeah

Those are loving excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Jacob Turner has been acquired by the Cubs for 2 class A relievers. It looks like Hamels isn't going anywhere, but it's official yet, to no one's surprise.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I'll probably get blasted for this, but I see where Matheny is coming from with his decision to work Descalso and Ellis into the lineup. I think it's not a good decision, but I get it. He gets to give Holliday (or Adams or whoever) a day off from fielding, but he can use him as the DH, so we'll still have that power available at the plate. Holliday is no defensive superstar, and there aren't many downgrades in the outfield as far as defense goes (relative to Holliday). So I get why he's doing this.

I'm just not sure that a series with the top team in the AL East is a particularly good time to do that. In fact, I'm sure that it's not. If you have to start a couple of players who might not end the season above the Mendoza line, maybe wait until you're playing against the worst pitcher on the worst team somewhere... not against a team that's running away with its division.

And now that I've said that, Descalso will go 14 for 10, hitting a few 5-run homers in one of the games, and the local sports media will all be saying, "Matheny's gamble pays off!" Ellis will dominate the O's so menacingly that they will be forced to admit that, yes, they were, technically, the St. Louis Browns at some point in their history. Someone will make a poop joke based on that, and the Cardinals will be awarded the Stanley Cup.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If they want to give Matt Holliday a day off they have about 4 outfielders currently in the minors who are all likely as good or better than Daniel Descalso (who doesn't even play the outfield, that was just a joke I made because Matheny seems dumb enough to try it), and quite possibly the best defensive outfielder in baseball sitting on the bench.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 8, 2014

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I realize Descalso won't be playing OF. But you could easily take Holliday out of left, run some combination of Bourjos/Jay/Robinson/Taveras in the OF, and replace a better-hitting infielder with Descalso.

That would work.

I mean, it wouldn't work, but I'm sure the home crowd would love it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
So you are saying that because one of their best hitters needs a day off they should then double down and replace another hitter with a guy who is much worse at both hitting and defense. Hrm.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

The Orioles fans. They'd love to see Descalso in the lineup. Ellis, too, if Catch-22 can work them in.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Monicro posted:

N:

Looks like old Padre and Mariners jerseys had a kid. Looks really good.

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

Monicro posted:

N:

Seriously why aren't these their primaries.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

tadashi posted:

Jacob Turner has been acquired by the Cubs for 2 class A relievers. It looks like Hamels isn't going anywhere, but it's official yet, to no one's surprise.
I really have no idea what the Marlins FO is doing the last two weeks.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Ellis has been a pretty failed experiment and Descalso shouldn't even be on the team. Neither of them should get playing time, especially when the reasoning is "the manager doesn't think it's fair."

I think I'd rather have pete kozma rotting away on our bench than descalso.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 8, 2014

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

masterson is probably going to get rocked anyways so i hope that idiot plays all his poo poo players tonight instead of spreading the pain out all weekend

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I want to believe that Mo tried to include Descalso in one of the recent trades but the trade partners refused the trades outright until Descalso was removed.

Forever a Card fixture, I do wish.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Abel Wingnut posted:

I want to believe that Mo tried to include Descalso in one of the recent trades but the trade partners refused the trades outright until Descalso was removed.

Forever a Card fixture, I do wish.

They didn't want their managers using him, either.

Jim Hendry (who shows up at Wrigley to do scouting work on a semi-regular basis according to a Cubs blogger) is actually in the stands for Baez's home debut today which is kind of cool.

thumbnailed because that's one big dude.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 8, 2014

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Ellis has been a pretty failed experiment and Descalso shouldn't even be on the team. Neither of them should get playing time, especially when the reasoning is "the manager doesn't think it's fair."

I don't know how much of it is actually an attempt at being fair vs. how much of it is the standard practice of giving the more talented starters some rest. The Cardinals' bench just plain isn't all that good offensively, which isn't a surprise considering the starters are responsible for, what, the 2nd worst offense in all of MLB?

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Really? Except for a couple of offensive bursts, Kozma has been a massive disappointment, and he is right where he belongs until he manages to recover (if he can) from that horrible case of Bo Hart syndrome he somehow contracted.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
mike matheny is good

Lefty relievers, highest % of righty batters faced (min 100 PA) 1. Thornton (60) 2. Lopez (60) 3. Parra (60) 4. Thatcher (58) 5. Choate (58)

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Clearly they should trade for Gordon Beckham.

Because seriously, Descalso and Ellis make both Beckham and Kozma look like All Stars in comparison.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Pete Kozma is a legend. Matheny just latches onto these guys who are middling at best, total garbage at worst, and it's obnoxious as all get out. Shane Robinson, anyone?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Anyone know why the Angels don't have a lefty reliever? Or is there some magic where they don't need one?

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

Lorini posted:

Anyone know why the Angels don't have a lefty reliever? Or is there some magic where they don't need one?

They put lefty Joe Thatcher on the DL a few days ago, so it's probably a case where they figure there isn't any upside in promoting someone like Michael Roth just because he's lefty. They also have a lefty swing man in Hector Santiago on the roster, but he's in the rotation with Skaggs down.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Tavarin posted:

They put lefty Joe Thatcher on the DL a few days ago, so it's probably a case where they figure there isn't any upside in promoting someone like Michael Roth just because he's lefty. They also have a lefty swing man in Hector Santiago on the roster, but he's in the rotation with Skaggs down.

Whatever happened to that switch-pitching guy from the minors?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

tarlibone posted:

Really? Except for a couple of offensive bursts, Kozma has been a massive disappointment, and he is right where he belongs until he manages to recover (if he can) from that horrible case of Bo Hart syndrome he somehow contracted.

He's an actual competent defender and the same hitter as Daniel Descalso.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Everblight posted:

He is in the minors because he is not good enough to not be in the minors.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

Everblight posted:

He's still in the Yankees organization. Made it back to AAA after tearing his labrum in 2012, and should totally get called up in September if the Yankees have room on their 40 man, at least so we can see a switch pitcher in the majors.

Of course, that's entirely based on his stats, I dunno how his stuff has looked. http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/79342732/new-york-yankees-ambidextrous-pitcher-pat-venditte-sidearmer#!bzcECU and http://www.minorleagueball.com/2014/7/10/5838796/free-pat-venditte go into a little more detail.

leokitty posted:

He is in the minors because he is not good enough to not be in the minors.

I'm pretty sure he'd be as good as 75% of the White Sox bullpen at this rate. :(

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
This may have been posted. If so, sorry for the repeat.

This may be one of my favorite interviews ever and it made me like Gomes a lot more than I used to.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v35167307/gomes-joins-rose-and-millar-on-it

Tony Phillips posted:

Looks like old Padre and Mariners jerseys had a kid. Looks really good.

Maybe AJ Preller has some power over the unis. The regime up to this point hasn't been receptive and wants to keep the same blah jerseys. I mean we suck and are pretty blah already. At least make our jerseys something special. I own both 1984 Throwbacks because they're so sweet.

thompson fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 8, 2014

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Related: Are there any rules about continuing to pitch using the same arm throughout the at-bat, like with switch-hitters?

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

thompson posted:

This may have been posted. If so, sorry for the repeat.

This may be one of my favorite interviews ever and it made me like Gomes a lot more than I used to.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v35167307/gomes-joins-rose-and-millar-on-it

Pro click. The Stephen Vogt cameo is solid, too.

edit: Yeah.

Senf fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 8, 2014

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

Senf posted:

Yeah he crushes that. I almost pissed my pants at how spot on he is. That's probably my favorite part of the interview.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Everblight posted:

Related: Are there any rules about continuing to pitch using the same arm throughout the at-bat, like with switch-hitters?

I don't know if it's ever come up before. Ever since baseballers began using gloves, you've had a situation where the glove really only fits one hand, all but forcing you to throw with the opposite hand, unless you stop and remove the glove first. Pitching is highly specialized throwing, so there's a possibility that the rule book has no say on switch-throwers.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

tarlibone posted:

so there's a possibility that the rule book has no say on switch-throwers.

Is there a rule for switch hitters during an at-bat? The only time it ever came up as far as I know was Larry Walker when Randy Johnson threw behind him in the all star game. And since it didn't 'matter' back then I have no clue if they just let it go because it was funny.

Surely someone's been injured throwing a pitch to a switch hitter and been replaced by someone who throws from the other side now that I think about it. So it's probably been established at some point.

vv--ah thanks

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 8, 2014

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

Is there a rule for switch hitters during an at-bat? The only time it ever came up as far as I know was Larry Walker when Randy Johnson threw behind him in the all star game. And since it didn't 'matter' back then I have no clue if they just let it go because it was funny.

Once you receive the first pitch from one side of the plate, you may not cross to the other, unless you are removed and another player replaces you.

You may switch sides as many times as you wish before the first pitch is thrown.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

tarlibone posted:

I don't know if it's ever come up before. Ever since baseballers began using gloves, you've had a situation where the glove really only fits one hand, all but forcing you to throw with the opposite hand, unless you stop and remove the glove first. Pitching is highly specialized throwing, so there's a possibility that the rule book has no say on switch-throwers.

It's come up, but only in independent leagues/minor leagues. I don't know if there's anything in the MLB rulebook, but it's probably covered.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really have no idea what the Marlins FO is doing the last two weeks.

Well, they just traded a 23 year old who's had some success in the majors for two guys were were older than him and playing in A-ball.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Senf posted:

edit: Yeah.

I don't think I've ever seen an athlete from one sport mock the officials from another sport. :lol:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

MaximumBob posted:

Well, they just traded a 23 year old who's had some success in the majors for two guys were were older than him and playing in A-ball.

Jon Heyman wrote a piece speculating (based on information from various sources) that Stanton's career with the Marlins is in question if they're unable to sign him to the kind of extension they want, too.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/24653369/marlins-dont-seem-optimistic-on-long-term-deal-for-giancarlo-stanton

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Rand alPaul posted:

I don't think I've ever seen an athlete from one sport mock the officials from another sport. :lol:

It's an homage.

And it's hysterical.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Everblight posted:

MLB released a rule because of Pat Venditte:

"The pitcher must visually indicate to the umpire, batter and runner(s) which way he will begin pitching to the batter. Engaging the rubber with the glove on a particular hand is considered a definitive commitment to which arm he will throw with. The batter will then choose which side of the plate he will bat from."

Here's the at-bat that prompted such a rule, it's kinda funny: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDyCRTlKllk

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
You Cards fans even sarcastically wishing for Pete Kozma haven't seen him play in AAA this season, I'm gathering.

Remember how he looked lost at the plate in major league games? Well, he looks even worse than that nowadays.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Monicro posted:

N:

These should be worn by the channel 3 morning show softball team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Pat Clements posted:

You Cards fans even sarcastically wishing for Pete Kozma haven't seen him play in AAA this season, I'm gathering.

Remember how he looked lost at the plate in major league games? Well, he looks even worse than that nowadays.

I'm wishing for Pete Kozma as a replacement for Daniel Descalso. I know this will do absolutely nothing for the team, but Daniel Descalso is a really bad defensive backup and an absolutely atrocious bat. Pete Kozma is not bad defensively, at least.

• Locked thread