Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

Nail Rat posted:

Because he's a big dummy who's bad at hockey and gets paid $4 million a year to be bad at hockey :shepicide:

I really hope the Hawks find people dumb enough to take Sharp and Bickell from them for a second rounder or a ham sandwich, that'd help out a lot with this cap situation. Hey Bickell's only got one terrible contract year left everyone

They got a second round pick for Brandon Bollig, they will get something in return for Sharp and Bickell. I'd guess some mid-round picks at the very least?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Are the rangers failures if they don't win the cup??

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

ZenVulgarity posted:

Every team that doesn't win the cup is a failure

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

ZenVulgarity posted:

No, but they've bet pretty hard they'll win it in the next couple years having had no first round picks in three straight years and traded a bunch of good young players.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

ThinkTank posted:

No, but they've bet pretty hard they'll win it in the next couple years having had no first round picks in three straight years and traded a bunch of good young players.

One guy is a bunch?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

Despite all of that they still have a good core of young players and Hank should be good for a few more years. I think they'll be fine for at least the near future.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Ginette Reno posted:

Despite all of that they still have a good core of young players and Hank should be good for a few more years. I think they'll be fine for at least the near future.

They'll be contenders but the Metro is going to be a meat-grinder to make the playoffs. NYR, NYI, Was, and Pit could all win the division next year, Columbus looked solid once they weren't half-dead, and I figure one of Philly or Jersey will right the ship enough to push for a WC spot. Just making the ECF for a third year in a row (or out of four) will be quite the challenge.

Meanwhile in the Pacific :gonk:

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

ZenVulgarity posted:

Brooksie has your answer in today's Post:

quote:

http://nypost.com/2015/05/25/this-rangers-season-can-only-be-viewed-one-way-without-a-cup/

If the Rangers lose this game, if they are eliminated in the conference finals, their season can only be evaluated as a failure. Not a failure of character or will, not at all. But a failure nevertheless.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

kalensc posted:

They'll be contenders but the Metro is going to be a meat-grinder to make the playoffs. NYR, NYI, Was, and Pit could all win the division next year, Columbus looked solid once they weren't half-dead, and I figure one of Philly or Jersey will right the ship enough to push for a WC spot. Just making the ECF for a third year in a row (or out of four) will be quite the challenge.

Meanwhile in the Pacific :gonk:

They've basically loaded up for this year and possibly next. StLouis is up this year, and Yandle and Boyle come off next year.

For what a fuckstick he has been at times in NY, Slats has gotten fairly good at the whole cap wizardry game. He basically staggered all the bigger contracts to expire right around the time the most important RFAs and UFAs are due for raises. He's basically giving himself a 2-3 year window with a few older big contracts and then moving on. It allows them flexibility during Hanks last 2-3 peak years.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ZenVulgarity posted:

No, because no one expected them to beat whoever came out of the west. However, the Blackhawks, for the second straight year, are going to be failures unless they get their act together like in 2013.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

mastershakeman posted:

No, because no one expected them to beat whoever came out of the west. However, the Blackhawks, for the second straight year, are going to be failures unless they get their act together like in 2013.

A bunch of loving scrubs. They can't even wins the cup 3 years straight. loving pathetic.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

RC Cola posted:

A bunch of loving scrubs. They can't even wins the cup 3 years straight. loving pathetic.

Agreed

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

No, because no one expected them to beat whoever came out of the west.

Did people not watch the West this year?

I mean I didn't, but still.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

The East haven't won the Cup since like the 40s, right?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Aurora posted:

Basically Boston 2011

GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010
So St. Louis doesn't get resigned, i'm curious to see what Kreider gets.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Hand Knit posted:

Basically Boston 2011

:ssh:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Aurora posted:

Only two different Eastern conference teams have won the Cup in the past six seasons. Now compare that to the Western conference, which has had two different teams win the Cup in the past six seasons.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Basically Boston 2011

Never happened. They cancelled the Stanley Cup Finals that year. Please don't spread misinformation.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They had no choice. Whoever the goalie was for Vancouver couldn't make the away games.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hand Knit posted:

Basically Boston 2011

They wouldnt have but for Q's bad coaching resulting in Vancouver wining Game 7 OT. Chicago wouldnt have blown it like vancouver did in the finals :colbert:

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

ThinkTank posted:

Never happened. They cancelled the Stanley Cup Finals that year. Please don't spread misinformation.

Little Haitian children decked out in Canucks garb disagree.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I mean when you think about it all the great teams of the past few decades have come from the West. The Edmonton Oilers, the New Mexico Devils, the Hawaii Islanders, the Colorado Avalanche, the Detroit Red Wings...

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

I'm just going to blame every Blackhawks failure on Q, and I'll mostly be right too.

If he ever sits Teravainen again he should be greeted the next morning with an already typed resignation letter waiting for his signature.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Aurora posted:

I mean when you think about it all the great teams of the past few decades have come from the West. The Edmonton Oilers, the New Mexico Devils, the Hawaii Islanders, the Colorado Avalanche, the Detroit Red Wings...

I really hope the Oakland Kings can put it back together.

The last EC team playing what you would call freewheeling goal-scoring breakaway good ol' Eastern Conference hockey was... Tampa Bay? Sure wasn't Carolina, and Boston played a lot rougher than how you'd normally stereotype the East, though it isn't by any means an absolute.

Edit: hahaha the Pens won the cup so long ago I fuckin' forgot

DOOMocrat fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 27, 2015

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Game 7 at MSG Friday :getin:

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
so whos ready to see the ducks sweep the rangers in four straight one goal games

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Wonder llama sang a song about Ben Bishop's left side, Bishops rebounds so deep and wide...

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

fits posted:

so whos ready to see the ducks hawks sweep the rangers in four straight one goal games

I believe

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

If the Rags get to the SCF, just give Hank the drat Conn Smythe, regardless of who wins. I don't care if somebody scores All The Goals for the Cup winner.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
tampa stands no chance with the greatest game 7 goalie of all time at the other end

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

fits posted:

so whos ready to see the ducks sweep the rangers in four straight one goal games

I am so down

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The Hawks playing with their backs to the wall is going to be a fun sight to behold. The series will go 7 games only because I'll be at a bachelor party on Saturday and won't be able to watch it. :smith:

Token gay dude at a bachelor party, done that before. Not as fun as I expected but I guess its as fun as you make it.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
So signing Silfverberg to that one-year, prove yourself contract isn't looking like such a great move, retrospectively.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i think, personally, that the rangers match up better with either the ducks or the blackhawks than they do with the tampa bay lightning, and for this reason, and also for the reason that i like the new york rangers very much, i would like them to beat the tampa bay lightning in game seven. thank you

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I'm pulling for the Rags because I remembered in game 4 that Keith Yandle got traded there and the wrong must be righted from when the Coyotes got eliminated thanks to Dustin Brown's knee

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
chicago is going to take the last two games against anaheim and the rangers are going to win game seven. i know this is going to happen because it's the exact matchup i feared going into the postseason, and there is no greater SC predictor than my lack of affinity towards a team

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

whatis posted:

chicago is going to take the last two games against anaheim and the rangers are going to win game seven. i know this is going to happen because it's the exact matchup i feared going into the postseason, and there is no greater SC predictor than my lack of affinity towards a team

It would be the perfect finish

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

but really I'm happy that regardless of what happens there's only one more game of seeing the Rangers play like giant dumb baby idiots against Tampa because this has been the stupidest hockey they've played since the start of the season

My inexpert analysis is that Tampa passes the puck extremely well and the Rangers style of defense is more like play man to keep teams to the outside and then collapse on the puck carrier to take the puck away when they get them pinned, but Tampa moves it too well and finds holes in the Rangers defense because it involves a lot of switching and moving parts instead of just stacking the slot.

On the other hand when Tampa messes up their passing they spend a lot of time turning the puck over and giving up great chances against.

If the Rangers advance I don't think they'll see an offense as good as Tampa's in the finals, but will probably see some more consistent solid play without as many crazy turnover spurts. If Tampa advances, they probably face a defense that matches up against them better than the Rangers and a goalie who's not as good (though they haven't always had trouble with Lundqvist obviously)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

If the Rags get to the SCF, just give Hank the drat Conn Smythe, regardless of who wins. I don't care if somebody scores All The Goals for the Cup winner.

Conn Smythe Memorial Trophy for Okay, I Guess

There's a lot of those this season.

• Locked thread