Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759015 here's the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

pandaK posted:

It's just the standard kyoani fare except a lot more colorful?

It's their standard for a couple of their recent shows. It looked awful in amaburi too.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
Amagi's art style was so incredibly generic that anything is a step up from it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Linnaeus posted:

It's their standard for a couple of their recent shows. It looked awful in amaburi too.

Chuunibyo as well. Nothing really has any depth any more, everything is kind of a flat pastel.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The designs for Euphonium were OK. Had some decent physicality and expression to them.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Euphonium was cool, yeah. I liked the hair

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Euphonium is an art style I like, definitely a big step up from most of their typical art styles.

I think a lot of LN adaptations tend to have really boring art styles in general.

Reds fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 6, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

beyond the boundary looked really really good

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Didn't someone post a good a good image of kyoani colour schemes somewhere.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I think it's fine

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Reds posted:

My interest in Prince of Stride rose significantly once I found out it's some kind of semi-parkour relay thing, I'll go and put that on my list.

The fact that it's based off an Otome game worries me. I hope that they don't include much romance

edit: oh it's out now. I'll watch it and find out

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 6, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
That said, on reflection, I'm not completely sure the Euphonium designs pass the test of 'can you identify these characters by looking at their faces without hair or eye colour?'. I mean, a lot of shows don't (lol, Hiraiface), but it's nice when the designers put in that bit of extra effort to make their characters look distinct.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Namtab posted:

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Endorph posted:

beyond the boundary looked really really good

It was also a bundle of wasted potential by clinging to its high school slice of life setting, among other things. The setting was more interesting than what most of the characters were offering.

As it was, it was okay. It could've been more than okay, though. The pocket dimension episode was really cool.

clamp down and keep going
Jun 19, 2013

Namtab posted:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

bring back k-on

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Davincie posted:

bring back k-on

just to kill it again

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

go get probated for a month again bitch

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Euphonium was responsible for making me realize that a song I liked in a video I first watched like 5 years ago was actually Rydeen by YMO, so I thank it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Alright but how about an example from more than one of their good shows.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

boom boom boom posted:

The fact that it's based off an Otome game worries me.
that's good though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

that's good though.

Unless it's Diabolik Lovers.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Davincie posted:

bring back k-on

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Davincie posted:

bring back k-on

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Welp, there goes the Phantom World thread. That was fast.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
It's not dead yet. May change my mind later.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Welp, there goes the Phantom World thread. That was fast.

Wow. Gonna watch it right now by the way.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I read the Phantom World thread and I wish people would stop saying that David did Neptunia to bankroll Stardust Crusaders because it literally doesn't work that way at all. You don't have to justify why a studio did an adaptation of a thing you didn't like.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

I read the Phantom World thread and I wish people would stop saying that David did Neptunia to bankroll Stardust Crusaders because it literally doesn't work that way at all. You don't have to justify why a studio did an adaptation of a thing you didn't like.

That doesn't even remotely make sense.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I've been reading the manga for Erased, and I'm seriously pumped for the anime to come out. Hopefully it's a pretty straight forward adaptation, cause I enjoy the mystery of it all a lot.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lol isn't Jojo a super good seller? Way more than neptunia at least

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

I want the thread unlocked so I can call the guy who said that a loving retard.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

blu-ray sales:

jojo's: 20k
neptunia: 5k
stardust crusaders: 22k

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

Stardust Crusaders in particular is really popular, so the idea that a studio that had already made successful adaptations of the first two parts would need to scrounge up cash by adapting an incredibly niche JRPG series is mind-boggling.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Why does the new Nurse Witch look like a Shaft anime

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I like how people have such a complex about the idea that japan has bad taste they need to make stupid stuff like that up

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

people want to live in this weird alternate universe where jojo's is this super obscure treasure instead of one of the most popular manga ever written. i guess because until recently it was really obscure in the west?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

people want to live in this weird alternate universe where jojo's is this super obscure treasure instead of one of the most popular manga ever written. i guess because until recently it was really obscure in the west?

Manga in general gets less visibility over here, which means a lot. Heck, even here in VEGETA a show will fly right under people's radars if it doesn't get streamed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anyway, the reason they did something between part 1/2 and part 3 was probably to A) give them a bit of a buffer to prepare for a 52 episode series and B) prevent franchise fatigue.

as for why it was neptunia, iunno. maybe someone there likes neptunia, maybe IF ponied up, maybe it just happened to go that way. either way, it wasn't some sort of corporate sellout thing.

• Locked thread