Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

One often wonders if he is a stupid cretin or a terrible gimmick poster and the best part is that no matter what he is an unfunny rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

Elephanthead posted:

Peyton is a giant douche for pimping bad beer for money in what could have been a beautiful farewell moment. For this he deserves to go die for the Eagles next year.

It looks like Cam though the ball was going to squirt backwards like it does 80% of the time on the fumble non dive we are going to hear about for the next 20 years. I was fine about how he went for it.

Von Miller is more important to winning a Super Bowl then Cam and Peyton combined. He is seriously worth a 50 million signing bonus just to have him for the next 2 years. Mike Brown, write the check you cheap bitch you probably have that much in banked cap room just waiting to go.

Except Peyton wasn't paid to say that. Weird that he did

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

One often wonders if he is a stupid cretin or a terrible gimmick poster and the best part is that no matter what he is an unfunny rear end in a top hat

Who cares though? I manage to read his posts without my scrotum tightening so I wager you can too, bandwagon bitch.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Spiros posted:

Who cares though? I manage to read his posts without my scrotum tightening so I wager you can too, bandwagon bitch.

haha scrotum tightening, such wordplay

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Spiros posted:

Mel has always been a Bronco's fan though. :psyduck:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

Except Peyton wasn't paid to say that. Weird that he did

What can I say? My man just loves him some Bud heavy

e: Also I didn't think NFL players could be sponsored by alcohol anyway.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

FizFashizzle posted:

Yep.

Additionally, after the Broncos established they could dominate on the edges, they began crushing the B gap with stunts or like you posted GD blitzes.

the Panthers interior blockers had no idea where things were coming from. It was pretty obvious very quickly that Carolina wasn't going to be able to air it out like they had against Arizona and Seattle. The Panthers couldn't protect cam, even with extra blockers. Additionally, Carolina isn't equipped, either with the receivers or with Cam's skillset, to really attack a defense like that. They don't really have a short to intermediate passing attack.

Carolina shoulda have just tried to run the ball down their throat. I think they panicked after that strip sack.

Well that't the thing - Denver D took away the power run too.

I know we have the benefit of hindsight now, but it's kind of crazy that we didn't see this coming. All of the Broncos CBs are better than all of the CAR WRs, and all of the Broncos rushers are better than all of the CAR Linemen. So that entire game was basically Denver saying "If we're in man, you lose".

Against the run, all of the corners could just play man all goddamned day with no safety help, meaning that CAR usually had an extra guy in the box. It completely took away the power runs that CAR likes to use as their bread and butter: power is typically man blocking, but there were too many men to block (and a few guys that needed to be double-teamed in order to move). The Panthers were stuck trying to make zone work. Bizarrely, there were a few option runs that looked really good (including at least one option power that allowed Cam to run inside for a good gain), but they didn't appear to want to stick with it. It seemed so clear that the thing to do was to try to regain the numerical advantage by reading unblocked edge guys / LB (to take them out of the play without a blocker) and use the threat of Cam's legs to force them to keep a spy back, but Cam didn't leave the pocket much and they kept trying to react to the blitzes with more and more backfield blockers.

Against the pass, like you said, the Denver rushers were giving the Carolina line fits. They probably could have gotten a fair number of sacks without blitzing at all. But the GD blitz made that pass rush devastating. Another case of "play man, you lose". When Denver could set up man single-coverage, any guy whose responsibility stayed back in pass protect (e.g. whoever had Stewart or a TE) would just blitz. Carolina kept trying to double-team the edge guys, but then the Denver GD blitz would just come crashing in and either a) take away the double team, or b) get to the quarterback anyways.

The denver defense was just better in every matchup than the carolina offense. Carolina probably could have handled this by using more options and by scrambling more in order to introduce a little chaos, but they didn't.

"Play man, you lose".

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

korrandark posted:

Mel has always been a Bronco's fan though. :psyduck:

Like playoff posters like spiros can keep track

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like playoff posters like spiros can keep track

Nice try.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Forever_Peace posted:

Well that't the thing - Denver D took away the power run too.

I know we have the benefit of hindsight now, but it's kind of crazy that we didn't see this coming. All of the Broncos CBs are better than all of the CAR WRs, and all of the Broncos rushers are better than all of the CAR Linemen. So that entire game was basically Denver saying "If we're in man, you lose".

Against the run, all of the corners could just play man all goddamned day with no safety help, meaning that CAR usually had an extra guy in the box. It completely took away the power runs that CAR likes to use as their bread and butter: power is typically man blocking, but there were too many men to block (and a few guys that needed to be double-teamed in order to move). The Panthers were stuck trying to make zone work. Bizarrely, there were a few option runs that looked really good (including at least one option power that allowed Cam to run inside for a good gain), but they didn't appear to want to stick with it. It seemed so clear that the thing to do was to try to regain the numerical advantage by reading unblocked edge guys / LB (to take them out of the play without a blocker) and use the threat of Cam's legs to force them to keep a spy back, but Cam didn't leave the pocket much and they kept trying to react to the blitzes with more and more backfield blockers.

Against the pass, like you said, the Denver rushers were giving the Carolina line fits. They probably could have gotten a fair number of sacks without blitzing at all. But the GD blitz made that pass rush devastating. Another case of "play man, you lose". When Denver could set up man single-coverage, any guy whose responsibility stayed back in pass protect (e.g. whoever had Stewart or a TE) would just blitz. Carolina kept trying to double-team the edge guys, but then the Denver GD blitz would just come crashing in and either a) take away the double team, or b) get to the quarterback anyways.

The denver defense was just better in every matchup than the carolina offense. Carolina probably could have handled this by using more options and by scrambling more in order to introduce a little chaos, but they didn't.

"Play man, you lose".

You gotta think too with a coach like Wade and 2 weeks to prepare they're going to be able to figure out the misdirection things, and the Panthers barely ran any.

I'm just amazed they didn't have Cam running more, especially in the second half when it was obvious they couldn't move the ball. Still not doing any play action roll outs or anything like that. Poorly called game all around.

Best playcall was that playaction 3rd and short to olsen, and even that was nearly snuffed out by the defense. Denver was just out of their minds last night.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Spiros posted:

Nice try.

woosh

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

FizFashizzle posted:

You gotta think too with a coach like Wade and 2 weeks to prepare they're going to be able to figure out the misdirection things, and the Panthers barely ran any.

I'm just amazed they didn't have Cam running more, especially in the second half when it was obvious they couldn't move the ball. Still not doing any play action roll outs or anything like that. Poorly called game all around.

Best playcall was that playaction 3rd and short to olsen, and even that was nearly snuffed out by the defense. Denver was just out of their minds last night.

You think Cam was hurt? He was looking it by mid 3rd quarter.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

That Works posted:

You think Cam was hurt? He was looking it by mid 3rd quarter.

Considering how many times he got hit I would be amazed if he wasn't

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Regarding the Cam chat. He was definitely not good yesterday. His turnovers were responsible for 15 of Denver's points. Whatever else he did, that's the difference in the game right there. I don't really care about him walking out on a bunch of hack sports journos though, who are with few exceptions, terrible quasi-journalist poo poo stirrers. gently caress them and good for him for not sticking around while they tried to stick pins of emotional banality in him. I loved Marshawn for blowing those turds off whenever he could, and it would be hypocritical not to support Cam doing the same even if I don't really like him (only because he plays on the Panthers).

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Well, the Panthers should be keeping the majority of the core of this team for next season, yes? And they'll have Benjamin back?

I'm just trying to imagine in what way they can regress. Maybe the run game with Stewart stops working? I attribute their season long success to the OL. A lot can happen and all but I do sincerely believe this team makes it back next year.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Sports section of the AJC today:

:wink:

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

FizFashizzle posted:

That's what I thought too. I knew exactly what play they were running (because they'd run it a couple of times earlier this season), and even though Greg managed to come down with it and get the first down, they were right on his rear end and didn't allow a big gain from it.

I'm not mad. Just super, super loving bummed :sigh:

Spiros posted:

Well, the Panthers should be keeping the majority of the core of this team for next season, yes? And they'll have Benjamin back?

I'm just trying to imagine in what way they can regress. Maybe the run game with Stewart stops working? I attribute their season long success to the OL. A lot can happen and all but I do sincerely believe this team makes it back next year.

I hate assuming stuff like this, because there's so much variance in the NFL (both in game, and with injury stuff and roster turnover). Like, it's played out as gently caress at this point, but Dan Marino made it to the Super Bowl in the his 2nd year in the league, and never played in another one again. Nothing is a given, even if I do think the team could theoretically have a better roster next year with the freed up cap space and hopefully healthy players.

ozymandius1024 fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 8, 2016

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

FizFashizzle posted:

If Cam had been rolling out more, he would have been going straight into Ware or Miller.

What they needed to do to beat that rush was have him make quick, accurate throws and get the linebackers staying back to play the passing lanes more. He stood back there for 3-4 seconds a lot and then it was too late. It seemed like he was always looking for the deep throw.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

A Pale Horse posted:

Regarding the Cam chat. He was definitely not good yesterday. His turnovers were responsible for 15 of Denver's points. Whatever else he did, that's the difference in the game right there. I don't really care about him walking out on a bunch of hack sports journos though, who are with few exceptions, terrible quasi-journalist poo poo stirrers. gently caress them and good for him for not sticking around while they tried to stick pins of emotional banality in him. I loved Marshawn for blowing those turds off whenever he could, and it would be hypocritical not to support Cam doing the same even if I don't really like him (only because he plays on the Panthers).

I cannot meaningfully hold Cam's performance against him. His O-line was like tissue paper and he was under near constant pressure every snap. No one could play well in those conditions.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I cannot meaningfully hold Cam's performance against him. His O-line was like tissue paper and he was under near constant pressure every snap. No one could play well in those conditions.

True MVP Tom Brady did better against that defense with a worse O-line.

defiantgiant
Oct 17, 2004

YOU ARE RIDICULOUS now please stop running backward all the time kthx

Forever_Peace posted:

"Play man, you lose".

Yeah, this was the thing. Denver didn't have to do much that was complicated - none of the Carolina receivers could get open within ~2.5 seconds, and Carolina's o-line just had no hope of protecting for that long. I can't count how many times Cam got set to throw, saw nobody open, and immediately there was somebody coming through the line completely clean. That was like every pass attempt for them. If I'm Carolina, I'm blowing up that offensive line this offseason, and even with Kelvin Benjamin coming back I'd probably be looking for another good receiver.

Also, I think it's worth mentioning that Denver put Talib on Greg Olsen for a lot of snaps. Green Bay used to do that to him when he was with the Bears, and it was annoyingly effective. He's a big athletic mismatch on linebackers, but he just doesn't out-physical defensive backs nearly as much as you'd expect for a guy who goes 6'5" and 250. The Packers would just stick Charles Woodson on him, he'd get like 2 catches for 30 yards, and it would be all on the wide receivers to make something happen in the passing game. Seems like the formula for Denver was pretty similar - take Olsen away with your best cover corner, load up the box against the run game, and then make Jerricho Cotchery et al beat you in man coverage.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

That Works posted:

True MVP Tom Brady did better against that defense with a worse O-line.

His team has a much better short passing game, and also Rob Gronkowski though.

They were both pretty bad.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Seriously, Denver were all over him on every snap. Can't do very much when you only have a second or two to find a target and throw.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

http://fat.gfycat.com/ScaryBruisedAfricanhornbill.webm

https://fat.gfycat.com/CompetentGrossAgama.webm

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Spiros posted:

Stewart will likely be gone, Tolbert is a FA, Charles Johnson can just get the gently caress out of Charlotte and never return. The things that made this team good will all be there next year.

A Pale Horse posted:

I'm not going to blame him for that strip sack TD.

There's isn't a QB in the league who survives that. Von Miller made an incredible play. Sometimes you gotta tip your cap. The interception was off ginn's hands. The second strip sack, again, someone got a hand in as he was throwing. Denver just played nuts.

Nail Rat posted:

What they needed to do to beat that rush was have him make quick, accurate throws and get the linebackers staying back to play the passing lanes more. He stood back there for 3-4 seconds a lot and then it was too late. It seemed like he was always looking for the deep throw.

He was. That's the offense. Like I said, they really don't have the wide receivers to run a Patriots esque offense, and Cam doesn't excel at those throws. Since their receivers are kinda poo poo, but all really fast, they try to run long developing routes so they can get open. But Cam made two bad throws, and the good ones weren't made. That one Cotchery throw down the sideline......ugh. I had to get up after that. Just make one play guys jesus christ.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The Panthers offensive line was good to great all year. If even they don't get credit for being good then literally no NFL team has a good offensive line.

It could just be that the Broncos pass rush is better than the world though.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Thank you for quoting all my correct posts, friend!

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

defiantgiant posted:

Yeah, this was the thing. Denver didn't have to do much that was complicated - none of the Carolina receivers could get open within ~2.5 seconds, and Carolina's o-line just had no hope of protecting for that long. I can't count how many times Cam got set to throw, saw nobody open, and immediately there was somebody coming through the line completely clean. That was like every pass attempt for them. If I'm Carolina, I'm blowing up that offensive line this offseason, and even with Kelvin Benjamin coming back I'd probably be looking for another good receiver.

This would be a mistake. Andrew Norwell getting injured was probably big, and Mike Remmers was the weakest link on the line all year. Having Von Miller abusing you all day is going to make that significantly worse.

You don't blow up one of the more successful units on the team because they got mauled by the best defense in the league. They'll replace Remmers, and probably be fine next year.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Olsen has been awesome this season and to me one of the biggest stories of the night was him mostly being shut down.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ozu posted:

The Panthers offensive line was good to great all year. If even they don't get credit for being good then literally no NFL team has a good offensive line.

It could just be that the Broncos pass rush is better than the world though.

It wasn't meant as an insult towards the Carolina line, just a statement of reality. Denver had them completely beat.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

While that's probably true, it doesn't completely absolve his mistakes either, and not diving on that second fumble was a head scratcher of a move. He's not the sole reason they lost but he had a part to play in the loss for sure. Mostly though I just think Denver's defense was amazing. Its the kind of defense that makes you tear out your hair if they're playing against your team. It makes me happy that Wade Phillips got his ring, because the job he did with that squad was really magnificent.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

ozymandius1024 posted:

You don't blow up one of the more successful units on the team because they got mauled by the best defense in the league. They'll replace Remmers, and probably be fine next year.

Problem is they have like three RTs on the team with Remmers, Oher, and Williams. They need a DE, LT, DB, and veteran WR.

A Pale Horse posted:

While that's probably true, it doesn't completely absolve his mistakes either, and not diving on that second fumble was a head scratcher of a move. He's not the sole reason they lost but he had a part to play in the loss for sure. Mostly though I just think Denver's defense was amazing. Its the kind of defense that makes you tear out your hair if they're playing against your team. It makes me happy that Wade Phillips got his ring, because the job he did with that squad was really magnificent.

50% of the time that ball bounces the other way. I think people are going to overanalyze the poo poo out of that play because it fits into whatever narrative they want to push. Not saying you in particular, just that this is going to become a meme against black QBs or somethi

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

That Works posted:

Olsen has been awesome this season and to me one of the biggest stories of the night was him mostly being shut down.

Not even the fifth time it's happened this year. It's not like Olsen is some sort of uncoverable god like Gronk, he just always runs great routes and very rarely drops the ball. The bigger surprise to me was that Cam didn't run it more or try to abuse the fact that the Broncos did nothing but blitz.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I can't believe Denver won. I'm just shocked

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I can't stop thinking about how bad that halftime show was. It would have been p decent without coldplay's attempt to make a gap commercial

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

TubeStank posted:

I can't stop thinking about how bad that halftime show was. It would have been p decent without coldplay's attempt to make a gap commercial

I thought the little Bruno Mars dancing skit was pretty good.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

FizFashizzle posted:

A agree, the only way to stand a chance against that D is to try to create as much chaos and misdirection as possible, and they didn't go nearly far enough in that regard. The few times they did it was some of their best plays.

I think for all that it was STILL a very winnable game for the Panthers if it wasn't for all the fumbling and the special teams botches. The Panthers could win a defensive slog against Denver, but they had to play a much cleaner game to do it. They were playing kind of dumb and spastic even when you account for how great Denver's defense was.

I also want to reiterate that :baby: is a goddamn mastermind as a DC.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Spiros posted:

The bigger surprise to me was that Cam didn't run it more or try to abuse the fact that the Broncos did nothing but blitz.

It's almost as if Mike Shula is who we thought he was.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Spiros posted:

I thought the little Bruno Mars dancing skit was pretty good.

Bruno and Beyonce were pretty good yeah but coldplay...woof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

sean10mm posted:

A agree, the only way to stand a chance against that D is to try to create as much chaos and misdirection as possible, and they didn't go nearly far enough in that regard. The few times they did it was some of their best plays.

I think for all that it was STILL a very winnable game for the Panthers if it wasn't for all the fumbling and the special teams botches. The Panthers could win a defensive slog against Denver, but they had to play a much cleaner game to do it. They were playing kind of dumb and spastic even when you account for how great Denver's defense was.

I also want to reiterate that :baby: is a goddamn mastermind as a DC.

You're absolutely right. If tolbert doesn't fumble, if Gano doesn't honk it, if they don't hallucinate a fair catch, if Ginn catches a pass, if Cam hits Ginn on that one deep pass where he was open (and ginn catches it), just ARGH

It really can't be exaggerated how huge that Cotchery drop was in the first. Make that play, strip sack probably doesn't happen, and the Broncos are still forced to play offense.

• Locked thread