Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rabiddeity
Jun 2, 2011
The C is for Cacodemon. Obviously.

Well, it's good enough for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Aliens T.C. By Justin Fisher
Part 1/2 (Part 42 Overall)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Someday, you'll learn to use something other than the shotgun against Demons and their equivalent enemies. But that time was not when you encountered the Alien Warriors for the first time.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Well that is probably the most interesting Doom WAD shown so far to be honest. Mostly because the enemies and some weapons are different.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
The use of movie sound clips kinda makes me want more games to go all out with Ruby Rhod Loading Scream.

There's also a shitton of AvP games, like the 1994 Capcom sidescrolling beatemup, the 1994 Rebellion FPS for Jaguar, and the 1999 Rebellion FPS on PC/Mac, which IIRC was the one that made people poo poo their pants the first time they ever opened a door because EVERYTHING set off the motion detector.

As for modding and total conversions and so on, just the other day, the goon gamedev IRC was talking about how there was a lot of excitement for modding in HL2 which very suddenly and abruptly dropped off once that actually came out, and now Unity and UE4 have basically replaced what used to be TC-level modding.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Was that the first walk across exit we've seen? I don't recall noticing one before, and my (admittedly sometimes very faulty) memory says that there weren't any in regular old Doom.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008
gently caress yeah DeHackEd! I used to screw around with it as a kid. You can make some cool poo poo, like a flame thrower out of the plasma gun by changing the plasma sprite to be the explosion spirte of an imp fireball, and the plasma hit sprite into an arch vile flame, increase the rate of fire. Or just up the rate of fire on the BFG for total splatter. Good times! You can totally gently caress around with it to make Doom crazy.

Some dude made a DEH that turned all the monsters into barrels that chase you. Not sure if this is the original from way back but close enough - https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/utils/exe_edit/patches/barrels2

give me thread fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Aug 27, 2016

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I played the poo poo out of this mod and also the Simpsons mod when I was a kid, this is such a trip down memory lane for me

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

give me thread posted:

gently caress yeah DeHackEd! I used to screw around with it as a kid. You can make some cool poo poo, like a flame thrower out of the plasma gun by changing the plasma sprite to be the explosion spirte of an imp fireball, and the plasma hit sprite into an arch vile flame, increase the rate of fire. Or just up the rate of fire on the BFG for total splatter. Good times! You can totally gently caress around with it to make Doom crazy.

One of my favourites was to remove the reload frames from the super shotgun, set all its remaining frames' timing to the minimum, and replace the bullet puff and blood droplet with the rocket explosion. If you held down the fire button for more than about a second the game would crash. :haw:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

It is very unfortunate that the co-op stream recording was lost. Therefore, I have attempted to re-create one of the highlights of that stream for anyone who missed it or wants to experience it again.

Certain embellishments may or may not have been added to the events depicted

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Fish Noise posted:

It is very unfortunate that the co-op stream recording was lost. Therefore, I have attempted to re-create one of the highlights of that stream for anyone who missed it or wants to experience it again.

I want to see that.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fish Noise posted:

If a Doomguy moves to the back of the line, but telefrags #4, does he become #3?

:pcgaming:

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

If a Doomguy moves to the back of the line, but telefrags #4, does he become #3?

:pcgaming:

I think there's an algorithm for dealing with that sort of scenario.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

bman in 2288 posted:

I think there's an algorithm for dealing with that sort of scenario.

Spawn Cacodemon x 8

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Spawn Cacodemon x 8

I stand corrected: there happen to be many an algorithm to handle said scenario.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Hey everyone. Looks like we can't do the stream this weekend. Maybe next weekend though.

In lieu of a stream, have the other half of Aliens TC:
Part 2/2 (Part 43 Overall)

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Fish Noise posted:

:allears: This is wonderful.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Coffee sent me here to start poo poo in your thread.

Also, re:Doomguy being a contractor, I think you guys were a little off the mark...

Doomguy Pest Control is on call 24/7 to rid your planet of nasty pests. Don't miss out on limited time offers and seasonal rebates on Aliens, Demons, Spirits (evil or otherwise), and more!

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Fish Noise posted:

That's perfect :allears:

I wonder how many times I (2nd in line) shot coffee (first in line) in the back with my pistol while trying to fire over his shoulder.

To answer the question about the hives stuff, I remember reading somewhere that it's a substance secreted from Alien drones that hardens into a resin.

mauman fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 29, 2016

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002
So I just realized I know a guy with a last name of Coffey who sounds JUST like Coffee, must be a name thing.

NuminaXLT fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 29, 2016

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

That mental image of a swarm of brass knuckled marines rushing into an alien hive? That's AvP 2010 multiplayer. Turns out the addition of blocking to melee makes experienced Marine players very dangerous to approach from the front.

When Colonial Marines came out, a bunch of goons in that thread revisited Rebellion's 2010 AvP, which had been regarded very harshly when it originally came out, and there's recordings floating around out there of Predators getting mobbed and fisted to death.

edit: found it

Fish Noise fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Aug 29, 2016

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Is the reason you can't livestream this weekend because of World of Warcraft Legion?

EDIT: Oh man AVP 2010 was so much fun at the time. :allears:
I've always wanted to an LP of it but I have no idea where to even start with it. My dad brought me up on Aliens and Predator so I wanted to do a playthrough with him watching.

EDIT 2: Also the Alien host ship was called the Derelict! :eng101:

Spudd fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Aug 29, 2016

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

Tiggum posted:

One of my favourites was to remove the reload frames from the super shotgun, set all its remaining frames' timing to the minimum, and replace the bullet puff and blood droplet with the rocket explosion. If you held down the fire button for more than about a second the game would crash. :haw:
loving excellent!

On another note how far away are we from Doom2 in the LP?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I think my favourite thing about the aliens TC is that they replaced the monster ambient noises with motion sensor pings. That by itself is genius.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'd like to request a Doom mod to be played later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji9qSuQapFY

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Y-Hat posted:

I'd like to request a Doom mod to be played later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji9qSuQapFY

I got flashbacks to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fomkvVgf9cY

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Glad you all enjoyed Aliens TC. Here's a more run-of-the-mill wad.

Serenity -- By Bjorn Hermans and Holger Nathrath
Part 1/2 (Part 4 Overall).

ALSO ANOTHER CONTEST THING!
This is the first wad I've done that I'm unable to identify some of the music in, and I want your help, thread! If you can correctly identify the unknown music in question, I'll give you a point. The MIDIs in this video that need to be identified are the ones heard in E3M2, and E3M4.

give me thread posted:

On another note how far away are we from Doom2 in the LP?

Roughly 4 more videos until that happens.

Also, I've got school now, so updates will probably slow down quite a bit. I'm still gonna try and get 2 a week out the door though.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Why is a midi version of 25 or 6 to 4 playing. What the gently caress is this.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
E4 music reminds me of the jazz music at the Thief's guild in Quest for Glory 4

Also....anybody who has epilepsy, seizures, or is just sensitive beware this level has some rather flashy sections.

mauman fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Sep 1, 2016

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Regarding the power-up screen colors, maybe John Doom has a kind of synesthesia?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Great LP! I agree though that some of the videos could be shortened a bit.

I think I must be the only one who enjoyed Wolf 3D more than Doom though. It's not a better game but I just find myself playing it more often now. Although the opposite was true when I was a kid because I played Doom before Wolf 3D I think around 1994.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Temin_Dump posted:

Serenity -- By Bjorn Hermans and Holger Nathrath
Part 1/2 (Part 4 Overall).

I don't know exactly how it works, but there is certainly a difference between dropped shotguns and placed ones, because you can used DeHackEd to replace one while leaving the other. The thing is though, they're not separate objects.

The way it works is that each object has a Thing number and an ID number. The ones placed in the level reference the ID number and the dropped ones reference the Thing number. You can change ID numbers but not Thing numbers, so what you do is you swap the IDs of the shotgun and some other object, then placed shotguns will be the other thing while dropped ones will still be shotguns. From there you can mess with either one without affecting the other.

(I think this is accurate but it's been a while so I may have some details wrong)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I think dropped versus placed weapons differ due to respawn logic. If you're playing a multiplayer mode with respawning items, only the items placed on the map should respawn, not the drops from the dead.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Time to finish Serenity.wad!
Part 2/2 (Part 45 Overall)

Just one more wad to play until Doom 2!

Also, more wanted MIDIs:

Serenity E3M7's song

Serenity E3M8's song

No idea what these are, and Shazam sure won't help with it.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Eternity.wad -- By Bjorn Hermans and Holger Nathrath
Part 1/2 Part 46 Overall

Good news, this is the last 1994 wad until Doom II!

Sorry the first batch of wads was a bit of a slog. I'll try and come up with something to make it better in the future.

Also, another MIDI I need to know:

Eternity.wad E2M4's Song

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Harrison Ford starred in the movie 'Clear and Present Danger', which e2m4's name is a play on.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
I know this isn't that important, but the piece of music in this wad is Moanin' as performed by Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers, not Miles Davis.

Love this series, y'all! Keep it up.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Technowolf posted:

Harrison Ford starred in the movie 'Clear and Present Danger', which e2m4's name is a play on.
:haw: Well, that clears that up! Thanks!

McStephenson posted:

I know this isn't that important, but the piece of music in this wad is Moanin' as performed by Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers, not Miles Davis.

Love this series, y'all! Keep it up.

This is why you never trust a wiki. I just went by what the Doom Wiki said, and went and looked up the song, and it sounded similar enough to me i guess. I appreciate it. Thanks for the heads up!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Heh. Pre-recording shenanigans at the end. I forgot that happened. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
I can't take it anymore, crop your videos you nerds, I want black bars not grey bars on my videos.