Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Important Swanboy update:

https://twitter.com/bransonreese/status/1790234217449988135?s=21&t=zQJVkzFWQkvKdgR_l21zEw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Different Country Diary

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

extremely cool that Swanboy and the random old Mole dude continue to be friends

Kit Walker posted:

Different Country Diary

Makio falling down stairs but each stair is another realisation that she's adopted a 15-year-old

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Makio falling down stairs but each stair is another realisation that she's adopted a 15-year-old

Also some extremely recognisable introvert problems.

I also love Emiri being introduced to the household as someone who is entirely unaware of Makio's deal and serving as a fresh perspective.

And not to spoil things, but the Makio/Emiri dynamic is one of my absolute favourite things about this comic.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

yeah I like that a lot

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So traditionally it has been on Fridays I start posting new things, for no deeper reason that that I like Fridays. But today is my birthday, so it's an even more special day.

And boy, do I have a present for you.

Because guess who's back.

That's right—it's Kaoru Mori's Shirley!

Now, this new chapter was actually published over a year ago, in the April 2023 issue of Aokishi magazine. And then, in October, a translation was uploaded to Mangadex. There was just one problem.

It was a really bad translation.

Literal Google Translate-tier. I didn't want to post that here. But no better translation ever showed up.

So I decided to take it into my own hands, and over the course of last week (literally started on Monday and finished on Sunday), with the original translation, my own decent but not at the level of where I could translate an entire chapter from raw Japanese skills, some translation tools, and over the weekend the help of someone you all know to proofread it, I retranslated the entire thing.

This is the world premiere for this translation, too—I'm going to upload it to Mangadex, but not until I've posted it all here. So save for aforementioned proofreader, nobody else has seen these particular images yet.

Please enjoy.

Miss Bennett puts Shirley to work to save face.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I didn't think I'd like Different Country Diary, but I started checking it out since it's being posted and man has it really grown on me. I love this thread so much for introducing me to stuff I would never seek out otherwise, thank you all.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Yay, Shirley

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Shirley \o/

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 80: Justice, Law, Lust

Coming soon to a store near you!

The Dragon, the Hero and the Courier Episode 41: The Fish, the Mask and the Courier

Ever been dumped so hard you started generating a weird particle effect? Oh, Ino.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

don't care about the rest of that courier nonsense but i'm glad to see the anteaters again

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
CityHaver Plus!
Written by Day Irwin, drawn by Megan Kearney, coloured by Kristen Lee, and lettered by Andrew Thomas.

Here's another comic from our anthology The City We Chose! We got two days left on the Kickstarter, and we're alllmost funded. Someday I will be able to sleep again and resume posting the new chapter of the Bugle Call.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Edit: A happy ending! Not exactly subtle messaging, though.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

don't care about the rest of that courier nonsense but i'm glad to see the anteaters again

Anteater cultist sighted

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

i like just about anything with bunny ears so the anteaters are S tier and the girl with bunny ears that i dont know anything about is S tier as well. sorry that's just how it goes.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

anyway it looks like the couriers of Snail and Friends are photo-realistic sparrows, so enjoy that!

wish i had cool socks like that

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Wish I could wear four pairs of socks at the same time. Think of the possibilities for fashion!

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

SOUBOUTEI
MUST
BE
DESTROYED

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
if a character in sim city disobeyed me id summon bowser

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Tiger, Tiger

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

KennyMan666 posted:

So I decided to take it into my own hands, and over the course of last week (literally started on Monday and finished on Sunday), with the original translation, my own decent but not at the level of where I could translate an entire chapter from raw Japanese skills, some translation tools, and over the weekend the help of someone you all know to proofread it, I retranslated the entire thing.
Happy to help! Although it should be said that your first pass didn't leave me all that much that needed proofreading!

Osmosisch posted:

And not to spoil things, but the Makio/Emiri dynamic is one of my absolute favourite things about this comic.
And also this. DCD is so so good.

Interestingly, in addition to the live-action movie adaptation coming out, an anime adaptation has been announced, so good work Yamashita Tomoko! (I think the live action has done a better job of nailing Makio's look, but am still here for both angles of attack at the comic.)

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

hah, what a coincidence that Shirley is back. it randomly popped into my head this morning.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Thank you for your translation efforts! I find Shirley very charming and it's nice to see it again. I'm delighted to see the return of lovingly rendered Kaoru Mori textiles, too.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Russians on the Moon!

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Welp, looks like the Yanks put a goddamn psychopath on the moon. Talk about sawing off the branch you're sitting on! I'm getting the feeling peace isn't going to be given a chance.

In the meantime though, here's a chapter I've been looking forward to:

One Day Outing Foreman chapter 52: Heated Forging

beef

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

They can't have gotten ripped in just 1 month, there's a big difference between 'physically fit' and 'bodybuilder'!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

who approved bringing a wooden chair to the moon??

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

tomorrow snail is exploring a treasure cave; anyone wanna suggest an animal for a genie that might be in like one or two panels.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

tomorrow snail is exploring a treasure cave; anyone wanna suggest an animal for a genie that might be in like one or two panels.

i may be biased but a hippo could work

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

By popular demand posted:

They can't have gotten ripped in just 1 month, there's a big difference between 'physically fit' and 'bodybuilder'!

You're probably right, but in fairness, they mostly were probably already in decent shape from the cough, indentured hard labour they're all doing.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Hooray for the insanely detailed surfaces and fabrics of Ms. Mori.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Carthag Tuek posted:

who approved bringing a wooden chair to the moon??

I'm starting to think this story about growing weed on the moon is a bit silly.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Interestingly, in addition to the live-action movie adaptation coming out, an anime adaptation has been announced, so good work Yamashita Tomoko! (I think the live action has done a better job of nailing Makio's look, but am still here for both angles of attack at the comic.)

wow spoilers

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

as much as I am enjoying the manga, I feel like Different Country Diary will be an extremely boring series and/or movie.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Yeah I'll probably check out one of the adaptations at some point. Maybe after I've actually fully read the comic, haha

Different Country Diary

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Dieting Hippo posted:

i may be biased but a hippo could work

and hippo it shall be. i like what i've got so far, but it's a multi pager so it'll be a while til i finish.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Shirley

Shirley works maybe a little too hard sometimes.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The best thing about child labour is that they're cute.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

No defense for Victorian era child labour but those are rockin' tea cozies.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 81: New Guilty Partner

Hidenaga knows something is up. Anyway, you might remember Kuroda here as one of the generals with Hideyoshi when he was tasked to take on the Mori by Nobunaga.

The Dragon, the Hero and the Courier Episode 41: The Fish, the Mask and the Courier

This might not have been a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

beginning to think this guy might like to drink blood