Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
There are almost certainly secondary environmental, nuclear winter-like effects from glassing even relatively small portions of a planet's surface that would have contributed to rendering them uninhabitable or difficult to continue living on. But yeah, I guess the apocalypse really wasn't that horrific after all, kind of takes the punch out of these games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
I'm ready to play some snipegeese again.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
I'll play Halo 3 if every map has the bubble shield removed :colbert:

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

MickRaider posted:

I'll play Halo 3 if every map has the bubble shield removed :colbert:

I thought the bubble was going to be something you can destroy, pretty lame that it wasn't. Still not the worst thing about halo since then though.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Na but it was still dumb and an annoying part of Halo 3. I think the energy drainer was the only non-OP equipment, but even then...

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

MickRaider posted:

Na but it was still dumb and an annoying part of Halo 3. I think the energy drainer was the only non-OP equipment, but even then...

Yeah that thing was like a fancy grenade if you used it right. Didn't it disable vehicles too? That would be annoying on certain maps, but usually was a cool bonus. I like the regen field on open, non-campy levels like sand trap.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

BrokenKnees posted:

Did they ever make the rest of the maps free/cheap for Halo 3? I sold ODST a while ago and the second Mythic pack is the only one I didn't buy outside of ODST's 2nd disc.

You can get a odst multiplayer disc for less than $5 shipped on ebay. Doesn't really matter though if you play matchmaking, the non free maps almost never come up. This free release would be a perfect time for them to finally make those maps free. They can't possibly be getting many (any?) sales now, especially since they're worthless outside of customs for the aforementioned reason.

Glad there's a free game I can actually stand to play coming. Already have the odst multiplayer disc, but I'd like to play H3's campaign again. I used to have a checkpoint on the warthog getaway at the end and play that poo poo over and over.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Going to play the loving poo poo out of halo 3 when it goes free.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

Tighclops posted:

There are almost certainly secondary environmental, nuclear winter-like effects from glassing even relatively small portions of a planet's surface that would have contributed to rendering them uninhabitable or difficult to continue living on. But yeah, I guess the apocalypse really wasn't that horrific after all, kind of takes the punch out of these games.

"You are a child of my makers, inheritors of all they left behind. You are Forerunner, but this ring... is mine!”

Everything story wise after Halo 3 is obviously tacked-on, ret-conned, increasingly convoluted garbage that can be chalked up solely to Microsoft begin unwilling to let their premier franchise end.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

sunday at work posted:

"You are a child of my makers, inheritors of all they left behind. You are Forerunner, but this ring... is mine!”

drat you, now I wanna play it again.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Halo 4's population :lol:

http://i.imgur.com/gxeEokL.png

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Who knew people play more than 1 game v:shobon:v

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.
I'm assuming the 2nd bump is either Christmas or the first map pack, but drat.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

MickRaider posted:

Who knew people play more than 1 game v:shobon:v

I dunno when I was playing Halo3 I was also playing MW1, W@W, MW2, GoW2, Forza and numerous GH/Rockband games and managed to rack up 3300+ games over a 4 year period from launch til mid 2011. Reach I barely made 450 games to date and H4 not even 900 to date. I put a heap of time into the COD games too, easily on the 5-10 day play time marks (although I have no idea if those stats can be access online to confirm)

nowadays I only buy Forza, BF and halo games and the occasional big title like GTA and I still dont want to go back and play Halo4. I bought BF3 back after trading it in against 4 because it was more fun.

Yeah, people play more than 1 game, but I still managed to find a fuckload of time to play Halo 3 because it was a fantastic game. The other games in the series after just arent as good. Theres no team aspect to H4 at all, which is the biggest reason I have no drive to play it.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
I'm only a 36 in halo 3 TS. I think I can get a 50 if the population shoots up this week. Sucks that I have to buy Mythic Map Pack II to play most playlists. My ODST multiplayer disc is cracked and unreadable.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Did that crack radiate out from the center hole?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Does Halo 3 come out for free this week or next week?

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

pseudorandom name posted:

Did that crack radiate out from the center hole?

Yes. My last xbox could play it because it was already on my HDD. It can identify and start the game, but kicks me back to the dashboard right away.

RBA Starblade posted:

Does Halo 3 come out for free this week or next week?

This Wednesday the 16th. 2 more days baby. I'm playing now, so good.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Laserface posted:

Yeah, people play more than 1 game, but I still managed to find a fuckload of time to play Halo 3 because it was a fantastic game.
Halo 3 really wasn't as fantastic as your memory leads you to believe. There was just like no competition in those days so by proxy it was better.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

MickRaider posted:

Halo 3 really wasn't as fantastic as your memory leads you to believe. There was just like no competition in those days so by proxy it was better.

Partially true. If you have a BR and someone doesn't, and they don't know what range to fight you from, then yeah you can trivialize a lot of players. There was a lot of really good players in certain playlists back in the day though.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Forever a Staff Captain. :unsmith:

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Booties posted:

Partially true. If you have a BR and someone doesn't, and they don't know what range to fight you from, then yeah you can trivialize a lot of players. There was a lot of really good players in certain playlists back in the day though.

I think he meant other games. You had Gears, Rainbow Six: Vegas, and the first Modern Warfare. Halo 3 did some really awesome things compared to those games, but the domination of the market by Call of Duty has since trivialized those things, and Halo has yet to catch up.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Shadow225 posted:

I think he meant other games. You had Gears, Rainbow Six: Vegas, and the first Modern Warfare. Halo 3 did some really awesome things compared to those games, but the domination of the market by Call of Duty has since trivialized those things, and Halo has yet to catch up.

Might just be me but I think Halo had a fun formula until 4. They didn't need to 'catch up', just give us more of the same with slight tweaks and added features, like every other subsequent Halo. 343 fundamentally altered the structure of the game by removing weapons on map and adding insta spawn, blatantly cribbing Call of Duty, and failed miserably as a result. They removed/altered more than they added.

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 14, 2013

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Yeah, Halo 4 would be pretty dope if the weapon still spawned on the map. The whole ordnance thing is idiotic.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea I agree, Halo really should have stuck to its own thing, it required more teamwork to win with overall map control and vehicle suppression, whereas Halo 4 does not.

I like faster pace H4 does but it just doesn't feel like Halo.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

ironlung posted:

Yeah, Halo 4 would be pretty dope if the weapon still spawned on the map. The whole ordnance thing is idiotic.

Ordnance in and of themselves are fine. The HUD market is honestly a great inclusion for general slayer.

ROD are a failure because there's no way to prioritize a single channel of random.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Alteisen posted:

Yea I agree, Halo really should have stuck to its own thing, it required more teamwork to win with overall map control and vehicle suppression, whereas Halo 4 does not.

I like faster pace H4 does but it just doesn't feel like Halo.

No one understands that the value of a non-COD FPS lies in it not being COD. If your game's pitch is that you almost get the COD experience, they'll just go play COD.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Reach and 4 have crossed the line into "too complicated" for me -- armor abilities, tactical upgrades, specializations, loadouts, not to mention all the gamification nonsense cluttering up the UI. Modern Halo is too complicated to dip in and out of casually anymore.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Halo 5 will be better because they won't be trying to make a game from Bungie's Frankenstein engine.

Let's just all keep talking about destiny till "Halo" news comes out.

Kobayashi posted:

Reach and 4 have crossed the line into "too complicated" for me -- armor abilities, tactical upgrades, specializations, loadouts, not to mention all the gamification nonsense cluttering up the UI. Modern Halo is too complicated to dip in and out of casually anymore.

There isn't a reason to play a first person shooter since Quake 3 :colbert:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

MickRaider posted:

Halo 5 will be better because they won't be trying to make a game from Bungie's Frankenstein engine.

The single player might of suffered from this but I'm fairly sure the multiplayer suffered from all the horrendous decisions 343 made.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

The single player might of suffered from this but I'm fairly sure the multiplayer suffered from all the horrendous decisions 343 made.
All the arm-chair game designers might agree with you, but nothing they did was that wrong from a design standpoint.

The games biggest flaw was the engine. It leads to all the strangeness of the game.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I will say that I do like sprint. Buuut I also miss the power drain, the mauler, and the brute shot.

Diet Lime
Aug 11, 2013

by toby

PriorMarcus posted:

Halo 4 multi-player is, very fun- and fully met my expectations as developed from playing the games which came before it.

In the Halo 1 days people took games a lot less seriously.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

MickRaider posted:

There isn't a reason to play a first person shooter since Quake 3 :colbert:

I just reinstalled Arena and Team Arena this weekend and I ironically agree with this statement.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kobayashi posted:

I will say that I do like sprint. Buuut I also miss the power drain, the mauler, and the brute shot.

Bring back the motorcycle thing the Brutes had.

Diet Lime
Aug 11, 2013

by toby
:colbert: Nothing beats the days of Half-Life 2 DM and shooting those combine pulse balls / grenades / toilets with the gravity gun.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Kobayashi posted:

This is my impression as well, what attracted me to Halo in the first place was it's relative simplicity and pacing; now there's a whole bunch of poo poo everywhere and it all gets mashed up into your face at a billion miles an hour so there's no time to appreciate anything.

MickRaider posted:

Halo 5 will be better

Not unless somebody dumps a bucket of ritalin into 343's drinking water first

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

I agree that its been overcomplicated, but there's nothing stopping someone from grabbing a DMR / AR combo and kicking rear end. Despite all the poo poo they've added in, if you're good with those 2 you can do very well. Hmmm maybe I'm equating being good at the game with the game being fun and I shouldn't be...

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

MickRaider posted:

Like I said in my post, I was playing halo 3 along side MW1,W@W and MW2, 2 Forza games and Gears 2. the COD games got a heap of time dumped into them too, as did forza and other games.

there was plenty of competition that came out AFTER it was released, and I played them a lot too, but Halo still took most of my time for MP gaming.

It still has more players in a single playlist than Halo 4 does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Saying halo 5 will be better because of a new engine sounds awful familiar. "trust us".

• Locked thread