Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Kharmakazy posted:

My girlfriend wants to remember the name of this game she played in middle school on the computers they had there. She does not remember much about the game tho.. so I am having a hard time finding it for her.

She remembers that there was a mini game where you had to suck up viruses with an extendable vacuum hose from a fixed position in the middle. You were an alien... and if the virus got to you your ship would fall to the bottom.

She believes there was also another mini game included where one would build robots.

Quite. She says it was on the schools computers along with Oregon Trail deluxe, and lemmings... if that helps place the era any.

Update: The GF thinks that the name of the game contained the words "Stadium" or "Arcade"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamikaze Kira
Jan 23, 2009
I've got one that's been driving me crazy. This has to be more than 10 years old, I think. It was sort of a caveman RPG, probably for Windows 95 or 98. I remember getting the demo with one of those cheap "101 AWESOME WINDOWS 95 GAMES" CDs. Anyway, it was first person when you were exploring the "world map" but you could switch to third person to explore individual sections of the map, which allowed you to kill bunnies and wolves and search for goodies. Another feature I remember was that you could use a stone to sort of carve out patterns on leather to make tools. I'm pretty sure this was a shareware game by some foreign company, maybe German or Dutch? That's all I can really remember.

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Kamikaze Kira posted:

I've got one that's been driving me crazy. This has to be more than 10 years old, I think. It was sort of a caveman RPG, probably for Windows 95 or 98. I remember getting the demo with one of those cheap "101 AWESOME WINDOWS 95 GAMES" CDs. Anyway, it was first person when you were exploring the "world map" but you could switch to third person to explore individual sections of the map, which allowed you to kill bunnies and wolves and search for goodies. Another feature I remember was that you could use a stone to sort of carve out patterns on leather to make tools. I'm pretty sure this was a shareware game by some foreign company, maybe German or Dutch? That's all I can really remember.

I'm pretty sure that's Sapiens.

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000

Krinkle posted:

It was a DOS game, early-to-mid-nineties. It was either a space-crossword puzzle or a space-scrabble. You picked an alien species to compete and you played against the computer (he had his own board). A robotic Vanna White would jet up and change the letters. (I think she was the cursor?)

There was a robotic judge that would explain who won. He looked exactly like Pizza The Hut's gangster from space balls.

For some reason I can't get the words "purple saturn day" out of my head. That was a different game but I think they came out around the same time? Or we just bought them at the same time.

Any ideas?

Lexicross

sicarim
Jun 8, 2007
urban dweller
in response to this thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=307568

I believe this game was Dr. Brain, but don't quote me. I just remember it being a game I played a lot on my parents old windows 95 PC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Mind_of_Dr._Brain

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Chrysophylax posted:

I hope someone here can help me, it's been driving me insane for years.

PC game, DOS, circa 93-95, possibly earlier.

It was a sidescroller puzzle game (I think), you controlled chromed robots, which at a keypress would change into other robots (you had like 4 robots aspects you could change into). One of those had tracks instead of legs and shot roockets from it's eye socket.

The objective was to get to the next level I guess. You sometimes had to blow up other robots in your path.

Anyone? :(

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Bieeardo posted:

Total Distortion, possibly?

I think that's it, thanks!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
This game from a few years back, it was basically a Diablo clone, but with decent 3d graphics. All the loot and dungeons were randomly generated, and there was only 1 town. I've got a hankering for some dungeon crawling, but can't remember the name of this game.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Mechafunkzilla posted:

This game from a few years back, it was basically a Diablo clone, but with decent 3d graphics. All the loot and dungeons were randomly generated, and there was only 1 town. I've got a hankering for some dungeon crawling, but can't remember the name of this game.

Probably Fate: http://www.playfate.com/

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Chinook posted:

Probably Fate: http://www.playfate.com/

That's it! Thanks.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Mechafunkzilla posted:

That's it! Thanks.

Sweet.

There is an expansion of sorts out now, but I think it's standalone. In any case, it has a couple more cities and 2 more dungeons, a lot more items and pets, new monsters, etc.

It's a pretty drat good game, for a mindless hack-n-slash.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

My girlfriend just told me about this game she read about a couple of years ago in Game Informer, and it sounded pretty awesome. It was described as "the saddest game ever"

You were a mom and your son either died or was missing, and your only tool was a shovel. It was set in some eastern European country and there were different stories or modes and each one was really sad.

She described it better than I can, and what she said made me really want to play it, so any help would be great.

EDIT: nevermind, we figured it out, it was Sadness

Slimy Hog fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Feb 12, 2009

Purefish
Jun 12, 2008
I am trying to remember the name of a Starfox-like game that was on the Dreamcast.

You can also post your reply in my thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3077170

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Sorry if this has been mentioned before and I missed it. This was a PC game.

It was this game that was both an FPS and a flight sim (I think, it's been a while) and it was the usual you vs. aliens thing. The thing that made this unique is that the flight sections were underwater, and I think some of them were on rails and some of them were free movement. There was also this part where you had to avoid some sort of falling pillar. The enemy ships kinda looked like croissants. Seriously.

That's all I can remember.

Chicken Biscuits
Oct 17, 2008
I've been looking for this game for quite some time. I remember playing it about 7 or 8 years ago... it's for the PC, and I swear it's called Merlin's Magic Castle, but Google searches aren't helping. There were basically three different mini-games, and one of them was a huge castle-maze you had to go through and collect items to give to people so they'd let you through.

Cracker Barrel, Inc.
Mar 26, 2007
This game for SNES, a Adventure Side scroller where you play as the boy who is SHRUNK and has to explore a house, i remember a bathtub and a boat, I think he has a gun or something to shoot enemies.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Plinth posted:

Possibly Alex Kidd in Miracle World?

Pretty sure this one's Super Skateboardin'.

Right on both counts. I think I played Alex Kidd in New Zealand, which explains the built-into-the-hardware aspect of it.

That mention of Sapiens does bring to mind another game I remember seeing, but never played, on the PC. I think it was a little over ten years ago.

The camera showed the game like it was sidescroller, but it felt (if I remember correctly) more like a thinking, use-the-right-item-here-to-proceed kind of game. If I remember right, you were a native american warrior in the winter, so everything is covered in snow. The graphics were pretty good for the time, showing a lot of detail. There may have been a wolf, and a bridge of ice at one point.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 12, 2009

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Cracker Barrel, Inc. posted:

This game for SNES, a Adventure Side scroller where you play as the boy who is SHRUNK and has to explore a house, i remember a bathtub and a boat, I think he has a gun or something to shoot enemies.

Could that be Harley's Humongous Adventure?

Chess Dragon
Jan 4, 2009

WardeL posted:

Sorry if this has been mentioned before and I missed it. This was a PC game.

It was this game that was both an FPS and a flight sim (I think, it's been a while) and it was the usual you vs. aliens thing. The thing that made this unique is that the flight sections were underwater, and I think some of them were on rails and some of them were free movement. There was also this part where you had to avoid some sort of falling pillar. The enemy ships kinda looked like croissants. Seriously.

That's all I can remember.

Deadly Tide

Had to ask a friend for that one.

E: There was a game I played as a kid that I found on some discs my parents had. It was around 96 I think that I played it but it was probably made a while before that.

It was a Lord of the Rings game, but despite my searching I have never been able to find it. What I remeber was seeing a really big overland map that you could look around at the different parts of middle earth and see what was going on there. I also remember a side view of the hobbits walking around and I think I was controlling them. Also those same hobbits being killed by ringwraiths. I dont remember much, I was pretty young.

Chess Dragon fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 13, 2009

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

A game in which you were a man whose face was mostly covered by a newsboy cap, and you climbed a mountain that had "In the Hall of the Mountain King" playing in the background. Gameplay involved capturing some sort of elf to gather information. I think you won various toys at the end or something.

It's pretty old.
--EDIT--
And I find it moments after I post here.
Turns out it was Treasure Mountain, some obscure edutainment game I played when I was really young.

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Feb 13, 2009

Toasty!
Jan 19, 2004

Yeah!
An 8-bit game.. I remember each stage was a different level of a castle. And all you had to do was beat a boss to go further. I don't remember much more than that. I have been looking for awhile now.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Control Volume posted:

And I find it moments after I post here.
Turns out it was Treasure Mountain, some obscure edutainment game I played when I was really young.
Not obscure at all. That series was popular and has been mentioned several times in this thread.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Toasty! posted:

An 8-bit game.. I remember each stage was a different level of a castle. And all you had to do was beat a boss to go further. I don't remember much more than that. I have been looking for awhile now.

Milon's Secret Castle? Kind of a guess, since 20% of 8 bit games fit that description.

Catellite
Apr 29, 2008

If <waves arm expansively> was legalized.

Chess Dragon posted:

E: There was a game I played as a kid that I found on some discs my parents had. It was around 96 I think that I played it but it was probably made a while before that.

It was a Lord of the Rings game, but despite my searching I have never been able to find it. What I remeber was seeing a really big overland map that you could look around at the different parts of middle earth and see what was going on there. I also remember a side view of the hobbits walking around and I think I was controlling them. Also those same hobbits being killed by ringwraiths. I dont remember much, I was pretty young.
War in Middle Earth, I suspect.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Chess Dragon posted:

Deadly Tide

Haha, that was it. Thanks.

Chess Dragon
Jan 4, 2009

Catellite posted:

War in Middle Earth, I suspect.

It might have been Im not sure.

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009
Got two more for you guys: I believe both of these were in a monthly CD release called CD-ROM Today by Future Publishing Ltd somewhere around 1995, but I could be wrong and only one might be.

The first one was tile-based and turn-based, featuring you as a cat on a strawberry farm where you could gather strawberries and I think eat them for health; your portrait was on the left, and you could get into a fight with the farmer or dog and attack in RPG style, with their portrait on the right and yours progressively getting beaten up. Absolutely no clue what the name is.

The second one was monochrome, possibly a mac game instead of a PC game, featuring a black isometric grid on a white background with you as a black human character. The map was constant, featuring different structures of gray bricks at different parts of the map. The object was to find another trapped human and rescue them while evading ants which made you jump on the spot and blocked you off and tended to swarm. Name is something like Winant or Simant or something.

Patashu fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 14, 2009

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!
No idea where I got it from, but it's probably a DOS game. I'm pretty sure it was shareware, because I only had the first castle portion of the game. FPS with DOOM-like graphics, possibly the same engine. Set in a medieval/fantasy setting, you ran around hacking knights up with your sword, taking gold and earning experience points you used to level up in the process. I remember fighting on a grassy circumference of the castle surrounded by tall walls you couldn't pass.

I think you could loot armor, weapons and gold off the knights you killed, and I may have sold it to some vendor in the game... possibly after the mission was done :P I do remember being able to play the mission over and over again earning more and more experience points and levels. It was pretty drat awesome! I wish I could elaborate more, but I only have very selective flashbacks of it.

Going out on a very brittle limb it would have been called "Swords and Knights" or something equally inane, but don't take that seriously.

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Mangoose posted:

FPS with DOOM-like graphics, possibly the same engine. Set in a medieval/fantasy setting, you ran around hacking knights up with your sword, taking gold and earning experience points you used to level up in the process. I remember fighting on a grassy circumference of the castle surrounded by tall walls you couldn't pass.

I think you could loot armor, weapons and gold off the knights you killed, and I may have sold it to some vendor in the game... possibly after the mission was done :P I do remember being able to play the mission over and over again earning more and more experience points and levels.

Could it be Amulets and Armor?

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!

Patashu posted:

The second one was monochrome, possibly a mac game instead of a PC game, featuring a black isometric grid on a white background with you as a black human character. The map was constant, featuring different structures of gray bricks at different parts of the map. The object was to find another trapped human and rescue them while evading ants which made you jump on the spot and blocked you off and tended to swarm. Name is something like Winant or Simant or something.

It was never officially released on the Mac or PC as far as I'm aware, but this is pretty much Ant Attack.

Cracker Barrel, Inc.
Mar 26, 2007

Genpei Turtle posted:

Could that be Harley's Humongous Adventure?

YES THANK YOU!!

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Saint Septimus posted:

Could it be Amulets and Armor?

Holy crap, that's the game I was looking for :P

Toasty!
Jan 19, 2004

Yeah!

Chinook posted:

Milon's Secret Castle? Kind of a guess, since 20% of 8 bit games fit that description.

Yeah sorry for being so vague. I don't remember a whole lot about it. But I do remember only 6 or 7 levels And there was no level before each boss. The whole game was based around the challenge of beating each bosses level of the castle. I wish I could remember more about it. But I do know that for sure. No mega man type levels before each boss just the boss itself. And man was it hard.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
There are two separate PC RPGs I've been trying to remember for quite some time.

The first one you're on a quest to find a complete set of armor of something really powerful in order to stop something really evil and ALSO in fact powerful. In the demo, you could only get to the helmet, if that helps. You could also hire generic NPCs.

The other was a strange blend of tilebased strategy in combat and first person RPG in walk around mode, and I seem to remember the first town having a load of kobolds, which were red for some reason.

They were both early windows/very late DOS era.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P6F1aK7xXU&feature=related

At the start of this video is a helicopter game for the C64. What is the name of this game?

Rudger
Feb 20, 2006

i will mess you up

b0nes posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P6F1aK7xXU&feature=related

At the start of this video is a helicopter game for the C64. What is the name of this game?

Looks like a weird version of Choplifter...

Putka
Apr 11, 2007
Jailhouse rock!
A game made in the 90's where you had to pick between a team of female or male soldiers and guide them through maps. It looked pretty advanced and was set in the future. The camera was slightly above. I've forgotten a lot of it, except that the loading screen had if I remember right had those male and female symbols. It was the greatest game ever.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That's probably Gender Wars, Putka.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
I'm trying to remember the names of a couple of Atari games I used to play.

The first one was a pure platformer (no shooting/fighting as far as I recall) which took place in an Egyptian tomb. It played kind of a like a precursor to the ridiculous platformers you see today like I Wanna Be The Guy. There were traps everywhere so you had to be extremely careful, but it was pretty much all trial and error. The only other thing I remember is you had to pick up ankhs for some reason. The game's title may have started with an 'E'.

The other was sort of like a rogue-like, all top-down in dungeon corridors. The story is you're a wizard's apprentice who accidentally turns himself into a frog, and then I guess something happens to your master so you have to go save him. You were pretty helpless at first but I think you could learn spells and maybe turn yourself back into a human eventually. It had a weird name from memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catellite
Apr 29, 2008

If <waves arm expansively> was legalized.

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

I'm trying to remember the names of a couple of Atari games I used to play.

The first one was a pure platformer (no shooting/fighting as far as I recall) which took place in an Egyptian tomb. It played kind of a like a precursor to the ridiculous platformers you see today like I Wanna Be The Guy. There were traps everywhere so you had to be extremely careful, but it was pretty much all trial and error. The only other thing I remember is you had to pick up ankhs for some reason. The game's title may have started with an 'E'.

The other was sort of like a rogue-like, all top-down in dungeon corridors. The story is you're a wizard's apprentice who accidentally turns himself into a frog, and then I guess something happens to your master so you have to go save him. You were pretty helpless at first but I think you could learn spells and maybe turn yourself back into a human eventually. It had a weird name from memory.

The second one is probably RanaRama, although it's more like Gauntlet with adventure/RPG elements than a straight rogue-like. One of the few C64 games I managed to finish.

Not sure about the first, it sounds almost like a conflation of Entombed which wasn't on the ST, and Rick Dangerous, which was.

• Locked thread