Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Well, how did you hit the ball? What bad habits are you concerned with? Do you remember proper grip and alignment? I'm sure your stance is different since your body is different.

Most sets will have a hybrid, and for good reason. Go to a big box store, hit a few clubs that feel good, then check out ebay, rockbottomgolf, or tgw. Even the sub-$100, year or two old drivers will be way better than what you used previously. It's largely up to personal preference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Kameh posted:

Well, how did you hit the ball? What bad habits are you concerned with? Do you remember proper grip and alignment? I'm sure your stance is different since your body is different.

Most sets will have a hybrid, and for good reason. Go to a big box store, hit a few clubs that feel good, then check out ebay, rockbottomgolf, or tgw. Even the sub-$100, year or two old drivers will be way better than what you used previously. It's largely up to personal preference.

Nice round man, pretty drat stout round, let alone at the beginning of a driver change!

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
I didn't really pay attention to yardage, but I don't know how great a place like Top Golf is about that, so maybe getting out to a range would be better. I think I remembered the basics, but pretty much just addressed the ball with what felt natural given the club at hand. I actually have one shot a coworker took when we were out there in January (http://i.imgur.com/5XfreUr.jpg) The second or third time we went I was starting to hit the red and blue targets pretty consistently with the irons they provided.

It's not that I'm worried about any bad habit in particular, it's just that I realize since the last time I played even 9-holes it was the first year I could vote, I probably need to sort out early on the difference between a decade of rust and any potential poor form.

I'm assuming there would be good value in a golf lesson or two fairly early on to help get me set in the right direction.

I just needed to look for some advice on diving in to this after checking at stores/online and seeing the huge variety in price and styles for irons/woods/drivers. The OP was a great help on understanding some stuff like the reasoning behind the club head shapes and what I should generally be looking for. I figured asking around here in addition to talking with the guys at work would be useful, seeing how a good portion of posters in here seem to know their golf stuff (or at least buy a lot of golf stuff).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Wow I finally got GolfShot and I see why you guys love this.

Yaphet
Dec 30, 2006

zeroprime posted:

I didn't really pay attention to yardage, but I don't know how great a place like Top Golf is about that, so maybe getting out to a range would be better. I think I remembered the basics, but pretty much just addressed the ball with what felt natural given the club at hand. I actually have one shot a coworker took when we were out there in January (http://i.imgur.com/5XfreUr.jpg) The second or third time we went I was starting to hit the red and blue targets pretty consistently with the irons they provided.

It's not that I'm worried about any bad habit in particular, it's just that I realize since the last time I played even 9-holes it was the first year I could vote, I probably need to sort out early on the difference between a decade of rust and any potential poor form.

I'm assuming there would be good value in a golf lesson or two fairly early on to help get me set in the right direction.

I just needed to look for some advice on diving in to this after checking at stores/online and seeing the huge variety in price and styles for irons/woods/drivers. The OP was a great help on understanding some stuff like the reasoning behind the club head shapes and what I should generally be looking for. I figured asking around here in addition to talking with the guys at work would be useful, seeing how a good portion of posters in here seem to know their golf stuff (or at least buy a lot of golf stuff).

I know it's more of a hassle to scrounge through eBay to find clubs but it is really the best bang for your buck. Only spending $500 on brand-new clubs will get you a crappy set that you'll want to get rid of once you get better. You can find $500 worth of used clubs that you can hold on to for a while.

I can't really tell you much from that screenshot but you set up to the ball nicely.

DJExile posted:

Wow I finally got GolfShot and I see why you guys love this.

GolfShot owns. It works so well that I don't feel the need to get a rangefinder or fancy GPS unit.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Does GolfShot have artist renderings of hole layouts for GPS, or are they actual aerial photographs?

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Kameh posted:

Does GolfShot have artist renderings of hole layouts for GPS, or are they actual aerial photographs?

It's Google Maps satellite data, if memory serves.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I just got Tiger Woods 14. Can somebody explain to me why Marshall Faulk is in this game?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

If anyone is watching the tournament, D.A. Points has a Lego belt buckle, loving awesome.

I need one.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shrapnac posted:

If anyone is watching the tournament, D.A. Points has a Lego belt buckle, loving awesome.

I need one.

That loving rules.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pretty good opening round for the season yesterday, considering I'm still working on getting my swing fixed up (note the numerous misses right off the tee). Not having any 3-putts was very reassuring. Don't think I've ever had 2 birdies in a row, so that was awesome. :toot:

E: And didn't know I could customize my club selections until after the round, nor did I see the sand shot selections. Still, this app owns pretty hard.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 1, 2013

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Jingleheimer posted:

I just got Tiger Woods 14. Can somebody explain to me why Marshall Faulk is in this game?
Cause we like to throw in some non-golf players for people to unlock.

hawk989s
Feb 13, 2003

• 244 Points
  • 226 Minutes
  • 6 Overtimes
  • 2 Days
  • One for the ages
Probably has something to do with Marshall hosting some kind of Celebrity Golf tournament.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Can you put Andre the Giant in the next Tiger Woods? Only make him like twice as tall and twice as wide as the largest option in the create your own player tool.

Or maybe Herve Villechaize but the opposite.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
The create your own golfer in 2012 was friggin terrible. Not even going in to the bad UI decisions, the sliders caused very little change. I was actually unable to make a golfer that looked anything like myself (legs don't go large enough without making them fat fat fat, and even then. Neither did chin.)

Edit: forgot a word

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 1, 2013

Giant Goober
Nov 6, 2009
Has anyone hit either the Adams super s irons or the Callaway x hot irons. I think I need to fill in the gaps I currently have from using a 5i, 8i and a pw. Sadly Adams aren't stocked in my country and most sets bought off the shelf locally tend to be twice the price compared to importing clubs. I do like the idea of a couple of hybrids to replace the longer irons as I never had much luck with 3 irons previously.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Gibbo posted:

The create your own golfer in 2012 was friggin terrible. Not even going in to the bad UI decisions, the sliders caused very little. I was actually unable to make a golfer that looked anything like myself (legs don't go large enough without making them fat fat fat, and even then. Neither did chin.)

Sucks for you, my created golfer looks almost identical to me :cool:

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Giant Goober posted:

Callaway x hot irons

My assistant principal and occasional playing partner plays x hot irons. He's a big Callaway junkie, though. Two guys I played with in a recent stroke play tournament were using identical sets of x hot irons as well. I've never hit them, but I did ask about them. Both of the guys said they were fine clubs. Take that for what it's worth.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Oh god it's so pretty!

Can't wait to hit it!

Also picked up a Nike VR Pro 60* wedge at golfsmith for $60 on sale today, think my bag is just about set!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'm looking to finally get rid of my Wilson Fatshafts that I have been using for the last 10 years. What brands should I be looking at for irons? I shoot in the 90's at the moment, but I just started being serious about golf last year, so I'm on the up and up. Is there that much of a difference between a $400 set of irons and a $800 set?

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

DoctaFun posted:

It's funny you mention those two courses, I've probably played those more than any other two courses(besides Stoneridge) in the cities.

St. Croix National is a fun course, lots of elevation change and moderately difficult, albeit a few poorly designed holes IMO. Very pretty though, and it's NEVER busy. The last three years I don't think I've seen more than 15 other cars in the parking lot at most. This course DEFINITELY favors a draw off the tee though, I can think of 8 holes that are definitely 'draw off the tee' holes, while only 2 or 3 that really favor a fade.

Mississippi Dunes is probably my favorite course in the area. I played there about twice a week one summer back in like '08. In my opinion it's a very difficult course. Back then I didn't hit many greens and it's lucky I had a pretty good short game because you can get into major trouble when you miss the green there. Almost every green is crowned with a shaved slope leading to some sort of collection area. If you don't hit the right part of the green there you could have some interesting putts as well. I need to get back and play MD as it's been a couple years, I wonder how I'd do now. Really fun course layout too, 9 par 3's, 9 par 5's and 9 par 4's. I love having 6 par 5's. I don't think I've ever parred #10 on that course...

I guess Dunes is opening next weekend :cool:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Nothing like a good session at the range to lose all confidence :negative:

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
485 yard par 5, had a second shot from 175 yards, so I chunked a 5-iron into the lake. Dropped 125 yards from green. Hit a 9-iron to 2.5 feet!

Missed the putt.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Am I crazy for thinking I should switch to lefty?

I've played hockey for over 20 years as a lefty (right hand on top of stick), and I feel like I might be fighting 20 years of mechanics. I'm not sure.

Yaphet
Dec 30, 2006

Why would you golf right-handed if you play hockey left-handed? I guess it's not really a huge change if you've just started golfing but I would think that it would be like golfing right-handed but batting left-handed. The other thing to keep in mind that playing right-handed is a huge advantage in terms of buying equipment. There are plenty of golf clubs that are RH only or are extremely rare in LH versions. Plus, as you can see from this thread you can get some really great deals on eBay where there are way more RH than LH clubs.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Here's where things get wacky: I bat right handed.

I definitely understand the equipment deal, I've got a couple of friends that golf LH and do grumble about it from time to time. Maybe I'm just over-thinking all of this, but I feel like I'm not too far in to wonder if making a switch would work. I might just buy a couple of cheap clubs at Play It Again and swing them at the range.

I read an interview with Wayne Gretzky about golf and how even though he played lefty in hockey his entire life, he started out playing as righty because all the top players in the 70's and 80's did, and it was highly discouraged to golf left handed. He said he regrets not learning to golf lefty, and in fact fairly recently Mike Weir got him to use a left handed putter, and it's helped Wayne quite a bit.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 2, 2013

Yaphet
Dec 30, 2006

If it doesn't feel weird to golf righty versus lefty I would stick with using RH clubs. Plus, I've heard having your lead arm your dominant arm can be an advantage since you want that lead side to dominate in the downswing.

The equipment thing is really annoying. Ask anybody who has friends or family with tons of extra clubs that you can never use. Oh, also if you want to rent a set of clubs from a course you'll either have to play a set from 30 years ago or just play right-handed.

Huskers
May 9, 2009
Yeah you just gotta do whatever feels best to you.

I have a friend who batted lefty in HS and college, but he golfs right handed and putts left handed. (e: ^^^ I guess like Gretzky, I'd never heard that, I'll have to tell him) No real right answer, but right handed clubs are going to be easier to find, new or used, as mentioned.

In other news my 2i showed up today, I don't think it saw much action from the previous owner, very minty. Should be a fun experiment.

Yaphet
Dec 30, 2006

^^^ 'Sup 2i arriving today buddy?

:getin:

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

zinc68 posted:

I guess Dunes is opening next weekend :cool:

:stare:. Looks outside and still sees a foot of ice and snow in his backyard.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

RCarr posted:

I'm looking to finally get rid of my Wilson Fatshafts that I have been using for the last 10 years. What brands should I be looking at for irons? I shoot in the 90's at the moment, but I just started being serious about golf last year, so I'm on the up and up. Is there that much of a difference between a $400 set of irons and a $800 set?

For someone shooting in the 90's, (like me,) I don't think so. I would go to a local golf store and swing several to see what feels good to you.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Huskers posted:

In other news my 2i showed up today, I don't think it saw much action from the previous owner, very minty. Should be a fun experiment.

Yaphet posted:

I had a Titleist 681 2iron w/X100 arrive last week, same one that Tiger used back in the day.

I hit it alright, but it goes SO much lower than my 3 iron, a 681 w/Project X 6.0. The heads are basically the same, so I chalk it up to the shaft, but the flex shouldn't be terribly different. It does feel MUCH heavier than I remember S300's being, so maybe the swingweight is just extra high. At least, that's what I'm going with.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

shyduck posted:

Here's where things get wacky: I bat right handed.

I definitely understand the equipment deal, I've got a couple of friends that golf LH and do grumble about it from time to time. Maybe I'm just over-thinking all of this, but I feel like I'm not too far in to wonder if making a switch would work. I might just buy a couple of cheap clubs at Play It Again and swing them at the range.

I write, bat, throw, and play golf right handed. I play lacrosse left-handed and hockey left handed if I'm playing up. Right handed in goal. Honestly I'd just do whatever feels most comfortable to you.

Yaphet posted:

Oh hell yes. Ping Zing irons rule.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

DoctaFun posted:

:stare:. Looks outside and still sees a foot of ice and snow in his backyard.

"Supposed" to be mid 60's and rainy this weekend, so maybe that will melt off most off the ice (and then promptly get to freezing again next week).

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

zinc68 posted:

"Supposed" to be mid 60's and rainy this weekend, so maybe that will melt off most off the ice (and then promptly get to freezing again next week).

I'd be pretty thrilled if I could golf next weekend. I'll be ice fishing in Lake of the Woods this coming weekend. It would be cool to ice fish and golf in the same week :).

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Scrapez posted:

For someone shooting in the 90's, (like me,) I don't think so. I would go to a local golf store and swing several to see what feels good to you.

So there's no difference between a $400 set of irons and a $800 set? Are people just paying for a brand name?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

RCarr posted:

So there's no difference between a $400 set of irons and a $800 set? Are people just paying for a brand name?

There's absolutely a big difference between a $400 set and an $800 set. You're looking at super game improvement irons in the $400 range to player model blades in the $800 range.

I've heard the Taylor Made Burner 2.0 irons are very popular right now so maybe give them a shot.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

RCarr posted:

If you mean a $400 brand new set vs. an $800 brand new set, then yes, there is a difference. That difference is mainly that no big name manufacturer puts out iron sets at a $400 price point, so you will be limited to brands like Nickent, Tommy Armour, Wilson and the likes. Those manufacturers used to make pretty good clubs, but have since bene sold to larger corporations(I believe) and the club quality has dropped. I know Nickent was bought by Dick's, and Wilson is a big box store brand now(not to be confused with Wilson Staff who sponsors players on the PGA tour). Tommy Armour isn't putting out anything as solid as the 845's anymore, Wilson is mainly found at Walmart's and Target's, and although I haven't tried them Nickent appears to be going in the same direction.

Now, you could buy a two year old set of Callaway or Mizuno irons that have been lightly used for probably around $400, and those will compare VERY nicely to a brand new set of $800 irons. In fact there will be little to no differnce at all, except a few scratches or nicks on the bottom of the clubhead.

You will get a lot more value if you buy used, especially when it comes to irons. Irons are built to last too, buy a nice set and you won't have to buy another set for a decade*.

*key word in that sentence is have. You won't have to, but you probably will.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

RCarr posted:

That's not how I'd think about it.

I don't think any of the major manufacturers sells a new set of irons for $400. But if you mean a proper company (Adams, Bridgestone, Callaway, Cleveland, Cobra, Mizuno, Nike, Ping, TaylorMade, Titleist) vs. a brand you've never heard of, then yes, there is a difference. But if you're asking about a cheaper set from one of these companies vs. a more expensive set, that depends on what you're looking for in a club.

Depending on your budget, we typically recommend buying used, but that assumes you know what want/need in terms of clubhead, length, and shaft. If you don't, you can browse your local golf store and then buy used. If you want to take as much risk out of the process as possible, buy new from a golf store or better yet, your local pro shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Am I missing something in this conversation?

I see TaylorMade, Cleveland, Callaway, Adams with iron sets under $400.

• Locked thread