Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

oh my lord. That andy kauffman line

That promo was better than anything he's said on WWE programming for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

EugeneJ posted:

Jerry Lawler is wrestling Kevin Steen on August 2nd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIEj_DvBmEQ

Get hyped.

As lovely as he is when he's just phoning it in on Raw, King is still a solid promo

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

As lovely as he is when he's just phoning it in on Raw, King is still a solid promo

"Maybe YOU should leave!"

*waits for applause*

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Paulocaust posted:

No, the streak's heat will not be poached by a heel on heel cash in at Summerslam.

No it will be poached by John Cena :downs:

Legit I think Brock will win and retain the title for a while at the very least, although what are the chances of Cena winning and then Rollins cashing in straight afterwards? Although if Cena wins again I'll be so done with the main event scene for a long while.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

flashy_mcflash posted:

These fans were and are lovely, but in this particular case WWE was asking for it with that ridiculous debut and gimmick.

"He has some real cred from doing work in Japan, so, clearly, he needs to be Japan-ized to get over here in the US."

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

oh my lord. That andy kauffman line

King's still a good promo. Which makes his half assed color work that much worse.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

I'd be a big fan of Brock winning the belt and then not showing up on tv often at all. Have Heyman carry the belt around, claiming that Brock is too good to be wasted on regular TV, so when he does show up at end of Raw beat downs or PPVs it's a bigger deal. Brock could be a phantom champion, maybe even with Cesaro or someone as his stand-in for night to night fights.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

El Gallinero Gros posted:

King's still a good promo. Which makes his half assed color work that much worse.

To be fair, his half-assed color work involves being screamed at by Vince for 3 hours.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

^^^ and doodling. the man is a compulsive doodler.

BodyMassageMachine posted:

I'd be a big fan of Brock winning the belt and then not showing up on tv often at all. Have Heyman carry the belt around, claiming that Brock is too good to be wasted on regular TV, so when he does show up at end of Raw beat downs or PPVs it's a bigger deal. Brock could be a phantom champion, maybe even with Cesaro or someone as his stand-in for night to night fights.

I'd like to see WWE do this but they'd probably run the same video package every time they return from commercial break to remind you that Brock is the champ. Plus commentary would be insufferable.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Cena's gonna win. There will be no hope, only rapado.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I'll admit, Cena going over Brock at Summerslam is probably one of the things that would send me towards the Network page to turn off auto-renew. Cena's fine as a stop-gap champion when the guy you had planned to be champ became a farm, but he's not good anymore for a long term reign, it should now be about building new stars.

I could definitely see Brock going over though, boasting about leaving with the title, and with the Authority coming out with sledgehammers, chairs, and whatever weapons they can and getting Rollins to cash in. Bonus points if even after beating the ever loving poo poo out of Brock, the cash-in fails.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Sky Shadowing posted:

I'll admit, Cena going over Brock at Summerslam is probably one of the things that would send me towards the Network page to turn off auto-renew. Cena's fine as a stop-gap champion when the guy you had planned to be champ became a farm, but he's not good anymore for a long term reign, it should now be about building new stars.

I could definitely see Brock going over though, boasting about leaving with the title, and with the Authority coming out with sledgehammers, chairs, and whatever weapons they can and getting Rollins to cash in. Bonus points if even after beating the ever loving poo poo out of Brock, the cash-in fails.

With Heyman coming to the authority beforehand it seems more likely they're not going to interfere with Brock at all and go all enemy of my enemy to fight the Cena menace

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I think Brock being champion and only appearing every other PPV or so is something that's possible with the way the WWE Network handles PPV. Since people will have paid a six month commitment and they'll get those PPV's anyway, why not have every one in two PPV's main event be a #1 contender's match to see who can go on to get slaughtered by Brock. It could backfire horribly though won't deny that, and also wonder how much it would affect house shows? How much sway does being the world champ have in swinging house show numbers?

EDIT: Just want to say the Authority vs Cena storyline is still super stupid, why does Triple H have a problem with Cena being champion? I understand he doesn't have sway over Cena but he is literally best for business.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Yeah, they made it very clear why they'd rather have Orton as champ than Bryan, but they've really got nothing against Cena besides that he's not Orton, and Orton's written as a whiny teenager who loses everything unless the opponent's distracted so why do they still want him around? It's really just "Authority bad, Cena good", which barely even works because Cena fighting authority is laughable at best.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Randy Orton is Triple H's friend and protege, John Cena is not, and "best for business" is an excuse Triple H is using because he is a heel and heels lie.

This isn't complicated.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Great White Hope posted:

Randy Orton is Triple H's friend and protege, John Cena is not, and "best for business" is an excuse Triple H is using because he is a heel and heels lie.

This isn't complicated.

I get this, but assuming this goes the way of "Cena wins at Battlegrounds, HHH gives Lesnar a title shoot to get the title off Cena" how will that make any sense? Either Cena retains or Lesnar ends up with the title and I honestly doubt Lesnar/Heyman will be buddy buddy with the Authority.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

I think Brock being champion and only appearing every other PPV or so is something that's possible with the way the WWE Network handles PPV. Since people will have paid a six month commitment and they'll get those PPV's anyway, why not have every one in two PPV's main event be a #1 contender's match to see who can go on to get slaughtered by Brock. It could backfire horribly though won't deny that, and also wonder how much it would affect house shows? How much sway does being the world champ have in swinging house show numbers?
Yeah, and think about how they've managed to book around injured champions a lot over the past few years. Brock having the belt would be the same sort of thing, except they'll already know in advance which shows he won't be around for.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

I get this, but assuming this goes the way of "Cena wins at Battlegrounds, HHH gives Lesnar a title shoot to get the title off Cena" how will that make any sense?

It's actually pretty simple; HHH gets so frustrated and angry that he can't get any of his hand-picked guys over Cena that he starts to care more about Cena not having the title than a guy he controls having it. Enter Brock.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

That makes some sense and I'd take it if they go that direction.

And that could also explain Roman Reigns being in the title match I guess.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

fatherdog posted:

It's actually pretty simple; HHH gets so frustrated and angry that he can't get any of his hand-picked guys over Cena that he starts to care more about Cena not having the title than a guy he controls having it. Enter Brock.

Alternately, he could think Cena and Brock will destroy each other so badly that his hand-picked guy, Rollins, can cash in on the winner effortlessly.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

with brock all you need for him to do is show up and f5 cena and then say he beat the streak and now shaming cena at summerslam is next

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Rollins is probably going to beat Ambrose on Sunday, but I think it would make more sense for Ambrose to win and kayfabe injure Rollins with a vicious beatdown, causing HHH to panic and hit the Brock button now that his plan B is out the window for the immediate future.

As far as Brock goes, I buy him as a world-ending catastrophe, and I think he'd be a great final boss style champion for someone like Reigns or Bryan to face at 'mania, but the guy does need to lose at some point. Something about the whole "He is better than the other wrestlers because he is an ACTUAL FIGHT MAN" thing really irks me. It feels like WWE is making a whiny, cringing concession to MMA and saying "Alright, our guys are not really as badass as those guys." Which takes the wind out of the sails of a product where a demon from hell can make fire erupt from random places by moving his arms down.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
I think having the title match announced on Raw on Monday with Lesnar destroying Cena could also take care of Rollins not wanting to cash in. He would have no desire to win the title off of Cena only to immediately have to face Brock Lesnar. That way you can leave Cena knocked out here and there without having to plan for a way to screw Rollins out of cashing in his contract every week.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Desumaytah posted:

Something about the whole "He is better than the other wrestlers because he is an ACTUAL FIGHT MAN" thing really irks me. It feels like WWE is making a whiny, cringing concession to MMA and saying "Alright, our guys are not really as badass as those guys." Which takes the wind out of the sails of a product where a demon from hell can make fire erupt from random places by moving his arms down.

This is Vince logic honestly, where basically every other physical sport outclasses wrestling. It's not just MMA, in the past you've had boxing and various forms of martial arts (they always make a big point of whenever anyone has a Muay Thai background, see Punk and Rusev).

GB888
Jan 28, 2004

The GB stands for "Great Boobs".
I would laugh for eternity if Lesnar won the title at Summerslam, Rollins comes out to cash in, and Brock Lesnar just DESTROYS him for attempting such a feeble task.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

WWE.com put up a list of the best 10 matches of the year so far, and it's hard to argue with any of them and #1 is oobvious but totally the correct answer.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/top-10-matches-of-2014-so-far

vvv I understand wanting too put the best women's match to take place in WWE in years on the list, but yeah, it's a bit high. I also would have swapped the Shield/Evolution match from Extreme Rules with the one from Payback.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 18, 2014

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Every dumb booking thing explained over the past year: herp derp best for business

It's the laziest loving poo poo.

Also: predictable list except Charlotte/Natalya being so high. I didn't think it was better than most of that list.

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 18, 2014

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Charlotte/Nattie deserves to be on that list, but probably not as high.

I'd probably move Elimination Chamber to #10 and put Charlotte/Nattie at #9, and everything else just bump up accordingly.

It was surprising more than it was good. If you put two dudes in place of the two girls, it probably wouldn't be a MOTYC, but it is a nice step forward for women in WWE. Shame all the good women's wrestling happens on the C-shows.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

armoredgorilla posted:

To be fair, his half-assed color work involves being screamed at by Vince for 3 hours.

I'm also convinced he runs headlong into jokes that are written on the script for him that he didn't read beforehand. That one "Hey, did you hear Rowan was banned from the petting zoo? I don't know, that's just what it says here..." makes a lot more sense if his script actually read "DURING MATCH: Jerry jokes about Rowan being banned from zoo."

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.
if you don't feel like clicking through:

quote:

10. Bad News Barrett vs. Dolph Ziggler - IC title, Raw 6/23
9. Daniel Bryan vs. Triple H - WrestleMania 30
8. Randy Orton vs. Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena vs. Cesaro vs. Sheamus vs. Christian - Elimination Chamber
7. John Cena vs. Cesaro - Raw 2/17
6. Daniel Bryan vs. Bray Wyatt - Royal Rumble
5. The Shield vs. Evolution - Payback 2014
4. Sami Zayn vs. Cesaro - NXT ArRIVAL
3. Randy Orton vs. Batista vs. Daniel Bryan - WWE World Heavyweight Championship, WrestleMania 30
2. Natalya vs. Charlotte - NXT Takeover
1. The Shield vs. The Wyatt Family - Elimination Chamber

I remember some people thought Shield/Wyatt 2 on Raw (with Rollins turning temporarily) was better. I still disagree with that one, the EC match was the best.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I'd also argue that Bryan/Trips was better than the Triple Threat Match.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

armoredgorilla posted:

I was watching Raw Rewind on the network the other night and it was some episode from 2002, right after Benoit got back from neck surgery. There's a tag match main event, Benoit + Eddie vs Dudley's. King just says "Latino HEAT!" every twenty loving seconds through the entire goddamned match and after while Eddie's going back up the ramp while JR's trying to do commentary.

"Bubba Ray, completely decim-"
"Latino HEAT!"
"-ated, Spike Dudley sent through a ta-"
"Latino HEAT!"
"-ble right in front of us, just carn-"
"Latino HEAT!"
"-age everywhere!"
"Latino HEAT!"

He's always been poo poo.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

In the kayfabe part of the 4 man championship match Sunday, doesn't it make sense, that if the DEMON Kane is loyal to the authority, that he could just quickly lay down and let Randy give him a quick 3-count?

Have they ever attempted to insert this angle into a match?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Chinook posted:

In the kayfabe part of the 4 man championship match Sunday, doesn't it make sense, that if the DEMON Kane is loyal to the authority, that he could just quickly lay down and let Randy give him a quick 3-count?

Have they ever attempted to insert this angle into a match?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di2DX_3KStQ

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Dimebags Brain posted:

WWE.com put up a list of the best 10 matches of the year so far, and it's hard to argue with any of them and #1 is oobvious but totally the correct answer.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/top-10-matches-of-2014-so-far

Cesaro: has two of the best singles matches in the first half of the year, spends the rest of it jobbing pointlessly. Great work.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Should've figured. Thanks :)

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

The Landstander posted:

10. Bad News Barrett vs. Dolph Ziggler - IC title, Raw 6/23
9. Daniel Bryan vs. Triple H - WrestleMania 30
8. Randy Orton vs. Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena vs. Cesaro vs. Sheamus vs. Christian - Elimination Chamber
7. John Cena vs. Cesaro - Raw 2/17
6. Daniel Bryan vs. Bray Wyatt - Royal Rumble
5. The Shield vs. Evolution - Payback 2014
4. Sami Zayn vs. Cesaro - NXT ArRIVAL
3. Randy Orton vs. Batista vs. Daniel Bryan - WWE World Heavyweight Championship, WrestleMania 30
2. Natalya vs. Charlotte - NXT Takeover
1. The Shield vs. The Wyatt Family - Elimination Chamber

As much as we complain about WWE right now, there have been so many great matches this year

omgomgomg
Oct 26, 2012

If they give the title to Brock and not make him wrestle b and c-level ppvs, I'd be pretty bummed out for Bryan and Barrett.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Sockser posted:

I was watching Raw Rewind on the network the other night and it was some episode from 2002, right after Benoit got back from neck surgery. There's a tag match main event, Benoit + Eddie vs Dudley's. King just says "Latino HEAT!" every twenty loving seconds through the entire goddamned match and after while Eddie's going back up the ramp while JR's trying to do commentary.

"Bubba Ray, completely decim-"
"Latino HEAT!"
"-ated, Spike Dudley sent through a ta-"
"Latino HEAT!"
"-ble right in front of us, just carn-"
"Latino HEAT!"
"-age everywhere!"
"Latino HEAT!"

He's always been poo poo.

I saw this last night, and you're right. It's poo poo. It took me out of the match every time because his voice would go up 5 octaves when he said HEAT. It was ridiculous. Now mid-late 90's King, that was good old fashion heeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

• Locked thread