Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
N: Madison Bumgarner is starting for the Giants tonight, but since they're playing in an AL stadium they're having Pablo Sandoval DH for him.

V: Too bad, I'd have loved to see Bumgarner hit a grand slam in an AL stadium.

Also Belt's on the DL for a concussion, again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
N: Ernesto Frieri has been DFAed by the Pirates.

V:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBlQZyTF_LY

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
This is what pops in my head when I get good news like that

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Rip frieri I'll always remember when you managed to be the best angels reliever on the team.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Ammat The Ankh posted:

It's the same concussion and he's having headaches and feeling sick again. gently caress concussions, seriously. Let's hope this doesn't turn into a Morneau situation where he's out for months.

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000

Monicro posted:

N:

V: hell yeah

Teams created in the '90s should not have throwback jerseys.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Ammat The Ankh posted:

N: Madison Bumgarner is starting for the Giants tonight, but since they're playing in an AL stadium they're having Pablo Sandoval DH for him.

V: Too bad, I'd have loved to see Bumgarner hit a grand slam in an AL stadium.

Bah, Bochy has no sense of fun. Also, it's kind of strange to DH Panda given that he's been so solid defensively but maybe he needs a rest or something, what do I know.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

gently caress.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bob Ojeda posted:

Bah, Bochy has no sense of fun. Also, it's kind of strange to DH Panda given that he's been so solid defensively but maybe he needs a rest or something, what do I know.

gently caress.

It's so that they can get that hot Joaquin Arias bat in the lineup! :ughh:

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Mobius posted:

'Mr. No Fun ' George Will alt account spotted.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Mobius posted:

I don't know...

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000

Eddie Whitson posted:

I don't know...

Basically, I don't want anyone to ever get any ideas about bringing these back, again.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mobius fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 9, 2014

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

tadashi posted:

Jon Heyman wrote a piece speculating (based on information from various sources) that Stanton's career with the Marlins is in question if they're unable to sign him to the kind of extension they want, too.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/24653369/marlins-dont-seem-optimistic-on-long-term-deal-for-giancarlo-stanton
My personal conspiracy theory since 2012 has been that the Marlins have decided to wait until the last minute to offer him an extension, and will probably lowball him so they can claim that 'they tried' and soften the blow of a trade. If they really wanted to get him cheap, they should have done it in the offseason after he came off of a bad year with injuries.

Then I get to watch another generational player win MVPs and possible titles in a city with an owner who isn't using his team as a personal ATM.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Diamondbacks original jerseys owned except they need to get rid of the stupid vest t-shirt combo.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Mobius posted:

Basically, I don't want anyone to ever get any ideas about bringing these back, again.

The team actually tries to distance itself from those years as much as they can so you should be safe. I think they even asked the Cubs to take down the Devil Rays flag they had up today for their throwback thing.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Monicro posted:

The team actually tries to distance itself from those years as much as they can so you should be safe. I think they even asked the Cubs to take down the Devil Rays flag they had up today for their throwback thing.

I love this about the Rays.

The Born Approx.
Oct 30, 2011

Mobius posted:

These jerseys are legit better than the current set

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011
N: Brad Penny's contract has been purchased, will start tomorrow for the Marlins.

V: stop it

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

vegeta dentata posted:

N: Brad Penny's contract has been purchased, will start tomorrow for the Marlins.

V: stop it

Welcome home, kid.

EDIT: Brad Penny's B-R pic is so good. It should be in the dictionary under "WELP"

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 9, 2014

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

The Born Approx. posted:

These jerseys are legit better than the current set

All those quoted 90s jerseys are. God forbid a baseball team have jerseys that aren't navy, red, or black.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Rand alPaul posted:

It's so that they can get that hot Joaquin Arias bat in the lineup! :ughh:

It actually worked out that way.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
You know. The Royals are winning and that is awesome and unexpected, but after watching Billy get tagged out and third and Moose get tagged out at home few nights ago I can't help but feel like they need to work on sliding. poo poo reminds me of Jeremy Jiambi, who I never forgave for giving Jeter that iconic highlight.

On a side note; I want to see what each team's success rate is on challenges because it seems like Yost is pretty good at challenges. I really don't like Yost, but he seems to rock that one aspect of managing.

On a side side note; Butler crushed another home-run to the exact same spot as his previous two home-runs a Kauffman. Also his OPS+ has climbed like 10 points in the last month. This is still obviously a lovely year for him, but it leads me to wonder what was wrong with him/I hope whatever it was was fixed.

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 9, 2014

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

I'm at the Coliseum and don't know how the formatting is going to work, but I have to post Coco's new, uh, well

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

does baez have the mlb logo tattooed on his neck? maybe get bud selig on his arm next

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Senf posted:

I'm at the Coliseum and don't know how the formatting is going to work, but I have to post Coco's new, uh, well

Man, I haven't seen a flat-top with a shag since I was in like 5th grade!

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Scob posted:

does baez have the mlb logo tattooed on his neck? maybe get bud selig on his arm next

It's a distinct possibility.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Kawalimus posted:

I love this about the Rays.

I get being embarrassed by those ugly-assed unis, but why are they embarrassed by the old Devil Rays name? Is it because of the Devil? Oh noes!

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

this is like the one night i really want nightmare baseball so i'm absolutely sure the angels will not tie this up.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

alpha_destroy posted:

On a side side note; Butler crushed another home-run to the exact same spot as his previous two home-runs a Kauffman. Also his OPS+ has climbed like 10 points in the last month. This is still obviously a lovely year for him, but it leads me to wonder what was wrong with him/I hope whatever it was was fixed.

I love Billy like any Royals fan should and this is awesome to see. I still worry that he might be almost done.

Let's hope not, because watching his chubby legs grinding out doubles has been the best thing about the Royals for a while.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Retail Slave posted:

I get being embarrassed by those ugly-assed unis, but why are they embarrassed by the old Devil Rays name? Is it because of the Devil? Oh noes!

They were really really really really loving bad when they had that name, and have been mostly not bad since.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

alpha_destroy posted:

On a side note; I want to see what each team's success rate is on challenges because it seems like Yost is pretty good at challenges. I really don't like Yost, but he seems to rock that one aspect of managing.

http://baseballsavant.com/apps/replays.php?ddlTeams=Cardinals&ddlTypes=&ddlGameDate=&ddlChallenger=TeamChallenging

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Amazing. They challenge the 3rd-least in MLB and they still get almost all of them wrong.

Actually, the NL Central is sort of bizarre. We have the three lowest-challenge teams, but then also #1 and #6. The Cards and Reds challenge rarely and have horrible success rates, the Brewers challenge rarely but succeed a lot, then the Pirates challenge a lot and usually win.

Also, in response to alpha_destroy's original question, the Royals have won more challenges than anyone but the Giants (unless I'm missing something).

e: Another weird small-sample thing is that practically nobody uses challenges against the Mets or Nationals.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 9, 2014

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

MourningView posted:

They were really really really really loving bad when they had that name, and have been mostly not bad since.

Not even just that, the *entire* org was a complete disaster before the new ownership took over. It took them years to rebuild their relationship with St Petersburg/Tampa.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

So this happened last night:

That's a broken bat on a check swing. Puig strong.

JediGandalf
Sep 3, 2004

I have just the top prospect YOU are looking for. Whaddya say, boss? What will it take for ME to get YOU to give up your outfielders?

Monicro posted:

Not even just that, the *entire* org was a complete disaster before the new ownership took over. It took them years to rebuild their relationship with St Petersburg/Tampa.
Can you elaborate on this? I'm just curious. Many of us forgot that the "Devil Rays" existed for a spell then the "Rays" came into being and as said before, they started to not suck.

Side note: IIRC, were not the the SF Giants basically packed and ready to go to Tampa Bay had not San Franciso got AT&T Park built? NL West would have missed a lot of Bonds dingers.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

JediGandalf posted:

Side note: IIRC, were not the the SF Giants basically packed and ready to go to Tampa Bay had not San Franciso got AT&T Park built? NL West would have missed a lot of Bonds dingers.

Bob Lurie was going to sell the team as a result of not being able to build a stadium, and it looked like he was going to sell it to a group from Tampa who was going to move it there instead. But then Peter Magowan bought the team instead and they built Pac Bell / AT&T. Thank loving God.

Also, the A's gave the Giants territorial rights to the South Bay in the eventuality that they wanted to build a stadium down in there, which is one of the reasons the A's stadium situation is so hosed right now.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

bawfuls posted:

I love how this .gif ends right as Puig comes to the realization of what happened.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

So, uh, that counts as a swing since the bat went through the zone right?

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

JediGandalf posted:

Can you elaborate on this? I'm just curious. Many of us forgot that the "Devil Rays" existed for a spell then the "Rays" came into being and as said before, they started to not suck.

I forget some of the specifics but they did tons of poo poo like taking all the team merchandise out of some random shop after it put up a Devil Rays logo without the team's permission, kicking people out of the park if they had outside food (even having their ushers patrol the stands during the game looking for people who did), and generally having completely awful PR across the board. The first few chapters of The Extra 2% go really indepth into all of this, it's really interesting!

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

bawfuls posted:

I hate that the ump called it a foul tip and gave him a strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Quote from Joe Nathan after blowing a save today:

Pretty sure he tried to shift blame to Brad Ausmus for calling for an IBB of Bautista after Joe put the winning run on 3rd too. This after he dicked on Nick Castellanos earlier in the year.

This guy's a real team player, I tell ya what.

Edit: Oh my god, now he's throwing Miggy under the bus too. :wtf:

MJeff fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 9, 2014

• Locked thread