Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
For a moment in Krukow's speech, I really going to give the organizational good-guy award to Derek Jeter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Cardinals and Diamondbacks are trying to out-suck each other.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.
This is going to be a terrible game for everyone involved.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Therapist posted:

Does Albrot count?

:mad:

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

FairGame posted:

In fairness, your other choice was Marco Gonzales or starting Lynn, waino, miller, and needing lackey for a potential game 163 or play in game.

I don't mind starting wacha tonight. I do mind leaving him in when Lyons or Gonzales could bridge the gap while the game is still winnable.

I wonder about this. Wouldn't it be optimal to run out your three top pitchers now to do your best to clinch the division outright? Saving one of them for 163/WC feels akin to a manager leaving his ace closer in the bullpen when they must get an out in the 8th inning.

Leverage is highest in a play-in game, but if you can increase the chances to avoid it, I dunno. Interesting conundrum.

Therapist
Aug 13, 2002

So I jus e'aim at e'heart of San Luis fan e'pull e'treeger? Hokay.
:suicide:
Dave Stewart: we need to literally do every single thing better.

Good to know he has a plan.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

tarlibone posted:

I realize that many of you are rooting for the Diamondbacks tonight, even though doing so is making you physically ill. Just know that even though I don't like it when people root against my favorite team, I'm still a pure fan of baseball, even if it is at the Cardinals expense, so...

... I am giving all of you opposing team fans a standing ovation, and a healthy round of sincere applause. Because that's just what we Cards fans do.

God shut up you are just the worst

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug
I have a bad feeling that the Diamondbacks are going to find a way to gently caress over the Pirates over the next three days :(

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

kalensc posted:

I wonder about this. Wouldn't it be optimal to run out your three top pitchers now to do your best to clinch the division outright? Saving one of them for 163/WC feels akin to a manager leaving his ace closer in the bullpen when they must get an out in the 8th inning.

Leverage is highest in a play-in game, but if you can increase the chances to avoid it, I dunno. Interesting conundrum.

The solution to this is easy. Just have a five ace rotation.

I am the best problem solver.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Oh I hadn't heard that Kirk Gibson got fired

I'm less repulsed by rooting for this team now

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
I am ready...

I am ready for tonight to be the night that the final, official nail is put in the Mariners' 2014 season. Congrats on dragging it out longer than you usually do and being semi relevant to the end of September. :golfclap:

Therapist
Aug 13, 2002

Sorry mang, low blow :D

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Raylen posted:

I have a bad feeling that the Diamondbacks are going to find a way to gently caress over the Pirates over the next three days :(

Hm yes I too have a sneaking suspicion that a really bad team with no skin in the game might lose 2 or 3 games to a division leader and perennial contender fighting for a pennant

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Therapist posted:

Sorry mang, low blow :D

I might be madder at the suggestion that I'd attend a game with Tedd_Not_Ed

Therapist
Aug 13, 2002

ALFbrot posted:

I might be madder at the suggestion that I'd attend a game with Tedd_Not_Ed

Best Fans In Baseball?!?!?!

Edit: thought we were talkin bout Tarlibone.

Therapist fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 27, 2014

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

ALFbrot posted:

Hm yes I too have a sneaking suspicion that a really bad team with no skin in the game might lose 2 or 3 games to a division leader and perennial contender fighting for a pennant

Well, yeah, there's the cynical side to it but hey, maybe the players are trying to play for a spot in the majors under new management on a lovely team! Right?! :smithicide:

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

tarlibone posted:

I realize that many of you are rooting for the Diamondbacks tonight, even though doing so is making you physically ill. Just know that even though I don't like it when people root against my favorite team, I'm still a pure fan of baseball, even if it is at the Cardinals expense, so...

... I am giving all of you opposing team fans a standing ovation, and a healthy round of sincere applause. Because that's just what we Cards fans do.

Just FYI, you're the reason people want the Cardinals to lose.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

kalensc posted:

I would think that almost anything is preferable to trotting out a guy who is recovering from an injury and is only pitching for the team right now because there's nowhere in the minors to put him because, well, it's the end of the season. This is especially true when you consider how crazy it'd be to throw him in the roster once the season ends.

Without Wacha, the 2013 Cardinals do not get to the World Series. But that was last year, when a non-hurt Wacha found his grove and pitched his rear end off. Knowing Matheny, I can't help but think that giving him all these chances now, in games that we can't really afford to throw away, has more to do with loyalty than any serious strategic advantage. It's poo poo like this that got Craig traded from the team. Not that I'm disagreeing with that particular move, mind you. My point is only that if he were still around, probably batting .111 by now or something, he'd probably be a starter tonight.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

William T. Hornaday posted:

Just FYI, you're the reason people want the Cardinals to lose.

Let's not overstate things. He's just A reason

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Why are the announcers talking about wacha in the playoff rotation when it isn't even certain a rotation will be needed?

Why is wacha still in? Day off yesterday. It is September. There are a million pitchers. This game is hugely important.

E: and why is Motte the fireman? Dude is nothing without his great fastball :(

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart
Oh my god the Royals are actually going to make the playoffs. I found a 12-pack of Boulevard Wheat (though I'm now 2000 miles from KC) to celebrate.

ps please lose Oakland/Detroit

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

FairGame posted:

Why are the announcers talking about wacha in the playoff rotation when it isn't even certain a rotation will be needed?

Why is wacha still in? Day off yesterday. It is September. There are a million pitchers. This game is hugely important.

E: and why is Motte the fireman? Dude is nothing without his great fastball :(

They're talking about Wacha in the playoff rotation because Matheny is going to Matheny. It's what he does.

And as for Motte... I'm wondering if he's ever really going to recover from the surgery. You hear so many success stories these days that it's easy to forget that not everyone bounces back.

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011
Marlins have 20 hits tonight what the gently caress

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

vegeta dentata posted:

Marlins have 20 hits tonight what the gently caress

To make this even more mind boggling, they had all of three in game 1 today.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Duke Chin posted:

I am ready...

I am ready for tonight to be the night that the final, official nail is put in the Mariners' 2014 season. Congrats on dragging it out longer than you usually do and being semi relevant to the end of September. :golfclap:

Actually tomorrow is our "last chance" - if we win tonight. And I'll be there at the game, crying along with everyone. But seriously, we had a chance until the SECOND TO LAST (or possibly) LAST game of the season. That's awesome.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

To make this even more mind boggling, they had all of three in game 1 today.

All the hits were by Donovan Solano

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

FairGame posted:

God shut up you are just the worst
Maybe he really is Rusty Venture :tinfoil:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Drunk Tomato posted:

Actually tomorrow is our "last chance" - if we win tonight. And I'll be there at the game, crying along with everyone. But seriously, we had a chance until the SECOND TO LAST (or possibly) LAST game of the season. That's awesome.

Well, Jared Weaver clearly isn't trying now... I'm gonna laugh my rear end off if the M's finish a ½ game out at the end of the weekend.

Just kidding there won't be laughter it'll be :sigh: followed by :shrug: followed by "hooray it's october hockey is here!"

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Did they say why Posey isn't in the lineup today?

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Did they say why Posey isn't in the lineup today?

Got an MRI on his back.

Which came back showing nothing.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Ambassador of Funk posted:

Got an MRI on his back.

Which came back showing nothing.

... So Posey is spineless?

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Duke Chin posted:

Well, Jared Weaver clearly isn't trying now... I'm gonna laugh my rear end off if the M's finish a ½ game out at the end of the weekend.

It will be better if they finish a game behind Oakland and then get to look through the season's game log and pick which of the 19 shutouts doomed them.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

tarlibone posted:

... So Posey is spineless?

If you believe Baggerly.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Ambassador of Funk posted:

If you believe Baggerly.

Ha!

(Sorry. I know I'm insufferable tonight, but I saw your post and was reminded of an incident in the 1934 World Series, where Dizzy Dean broke up a double play with his head, resulting in him being knocked unconscious. Supposedly, he was heard to say of the incident, "The doctors x-rayed my head, and found nothing.")

((I'll shut up now.))

(((And yes, I know people will post in favor of the above line.)))

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Rick Porcello should not be a part of any playoff rotation, should the Tigers win the division.

Rick Porcello should be elsewhere. Perhaps the bullpen.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
It's amazing how much the cardinals hitting sucks compared to last year. How theyve done this well I have no damned idea.

They're going to blow the division then win it all, aren't they?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

tarlibone posted:

They're talking about Wacha in the playoff rotation because Matheny is going to Matheny. It's what he does.

And as for Motte... I'm wondering if he's ever really going to recover from the surgery. You hear so many success stories these days that it's easy to forget that not everyone bounces back.

It is only Motte's first year back. Give him time. Which Matheny isn't.

I wouldn't mind the cards taking a flier on him, but nowhere close to his last two years.

Separately, YAY royals

Therapist
Aug 13, 2002

tarlibone posted:

Ha!

(Sorry. I know I'm insufferable tonight, but I saw your post and was reminded of an incident in the 1934 World Series, where Dizzy Dean broke up a double play with his head, resulting in him being knocked unconscious. Supposedly, he was heard to say of the incident, "The doctors x-rayed my head, and found nothing.")

((I'll shut up now.))

Wow I'm embarrassed for engaging earlier. Straight troll, right?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

AlliedBiscuit posted:

It's amazing how much the cardinals hitting sucks compared to last year. How theyve done this well I have no damned idea.

They're going to blow the division then win it all, aren't they?

The pitching is still good and they get on base a lot. Just...it takes like four base runners to score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

tarlibone posted:

Ha!

((I'll shut up now.))

I can't really get on your case because most my posts are terrible jokes and white noise observations.

• Locked thread