Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

sweat poteto posted:

On a bit of a lentil kick

with soft boiled egg and hot sauce

with cider & honey roast carrots, mint and haloumi

These look great! I've been wanting to try cooking lentils, how would I go about that? Do I get a bag of dried ones and soak+cook them like black beans? How do you season yours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

plasmoduck posted:

I've been wanting to try cooking lentils, how would I go about that? Do I get a bag of dried ones and soak+cook them like black beans? How do you season yours?

Yep just grab a bag of dried green or Puy lentils, boil in double the volume of water starting from cold - no soaking. When they taste/feel how you want them, drain and run under cold water. Quick flavouring is to fry some onion, celery, etc in the pot before adding the lentils and water, and add a bay leave while it boils. Takes about 20 mins from cold.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Sex Hobbit posted:

Any tips on how to keep enoki mushrooms from going off so quick? I like them and all, but half the reason I have so much on there is just to use them up before they get slimy.

How are yours packaged? I've had the best luck by leaving the unused portion attached to the base and putting the opened plastic baggie they come in inside a closed paper bag or wrapping it in dampened paper towels before putting in a high-humidity crisper drawer. Still have to use them up in about four days (if they were top shape when I bought them) or less, though. They're just too delicate to keep very long.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Beef rendang with green beans and brown rice.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
Fondue in a beef broth, I am used to using grapeseed oil for meats and veggies and scallops, but we shall see said the blind man.

Nhilist fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 19, 2015

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
Made a blue/blackberry crumble . Unfortunately forgot the lemon zest :smith:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Lazy Sunday breakfast, fresh beignets with homemade strawberry jam:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

goodness posted:

Made a blue/blackberry crumble . Unfortunately forgot the lemon zest :smith:

It's a beauty! I use lime zest in mine.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

guppy posted:

:captainpop:

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

RedTonic posted:

How are yours packaged? I've had the best luck by leaving the unused portion attached to the base and putting the opened plastic baggie they come in inside a closed paper bag or wrapping it in dampened paper towels before putting in a high-humidity crisper drawer. Still have to use them up in about four days (if they were top shape when I bought them) or less, though. They're just too delicate to keep very long.

Same as yours it sounds like; I've been wrapping them in saran wrap and putting them in the crisper.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Sex Hobbit posted:

Same as yours it sounds like; I've been wrapping them in saran wrap and putting them in the crisper.

My experience is that a little breathing room provides a bit more longevity than impermeable saran wrap--I guess mushrooms need some air to not go to slime. It's a bit counter intuitive to me, since I like to wrap everything in plastic or put it in a tupperware box.

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008

guppy posted:

These look delicious! However, I don't think you know what lazy is. My lazy morning breakfast is some oatmeal, or perhaps cold pizza from last night.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Apologies for lovely phone pic. Yesterday was Sunday, so naturally I cooked a roast:

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
we had an ehm..."Meal of Things",

inari and edamame, small meatballs in satay sauce, tuna salad, blue cheese and bread

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
Couple of recent meals that came out looking and tasting nice.

The weekend's Cornish pasties, chickpea chips and some extra filling because too much is better than too little:

And tonight's khorasan wheat, chestnut mushroom and cavolo nero... um... bowl. This was a test of new ingredients that, with some lemon and dill, tasted great.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Made frites tonight!

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008
Made paneer for the first time tonight. Went with a simple butter paneer with spinach. Very tasty!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Salsa is so drat delicious and easy to make, I can't believe I just now got around to it. I forgot to buy chips at the store, so this batch is lasting me longer than normal.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Democratic Pirate posted:

Salsa is so drat delicious and easy to make, I can't believe I just now got around to it. I forgot to buy chips at the store, so this batch is lasting me longer than normal.

What was your recipe?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

goodness posted:

What was your recipe?

http://www.onceuponachef.com/2012/09/roasted-tomato-salsa.html

Used a top hit on Google. I used white onions instead of yellow and forgot the lime, but it's still tasty and was great on my breakfast taco this am.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

My wife was away for work last night, so obviously it was time to cook up one of the 1kg steaks in the freezer. I marinated it in red wine and habanero sauce to give it a nice flavour, and slow cooked it on the barbecue for about 45 minutes.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

..did... did you eat anything else with it? A vegetable?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

It was 1kg and that's about my limit for food, generally.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

Echeveria posted:

..did... did you eat anything else with it? A vegetable?

Beer/Wine is a vegetable right?

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Habanero is a vegetable. :colbert:

Also, vegetables are green and so is my envy of that steak.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

iajanus posted:

My wife was away for work last night, so obviously it was time to cook up one of the 1kg steaks in the freezer. I marinated it in red wine and habanero sauce to give it a nice flavour, and slow cooked it on the barbecue for about 45 minutes.

Holy poo poo! Nice work sir

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm honestly surprised it turned out that well if it was on a grill for 45 min.

E: doesn't marinating things in alcohol dry them out?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Major Ryan posted:

chickpea chips
Why am I only hearing about chickpea chips now?
hosed up my pancreas a couple of months ago due to 15 years of nightly drinking. Cut back the booze but ended up back in hospital because of too much fried food, so now have to cut off any oils/fat too :(

VelociBacon posted:

I'm honestly surprised it turned out that well if it was on a grill for 45 min.

E: doesn't marinating things in alcohol dry them out?

No, and he said BBQ, not grill. BBQ can be low and slow.
A grill can be a gas or electric hotplate without a hood and run hot(can have a hood though and be used like a BBQ). But a proper BBQ is charcoal and can be low heat, has a hood/lid and be used like a low temp oven if you use the right amount of fuel/charcoal.
In Australia we call a grill a BBQ, maybe Canada is the same. But when someone in the US says BBQ, they don't mean a grill/flat top.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 24, 2015

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Fo3 posted:

hosed up my pancreas a couple of months ago due to 15 years of nightly drinking. Cut back the booze but ended up back in hospital because of too much fried food, so now have to cut off any oils/fat too :(

This surprises you??

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Fo3 posted:

No, and he said BBQ, not grill. BBQ can be low and slow.
A grill can be a gas or electric hotplate without a hood and run hot(can have a hood though and be used like a BBQ). But a proper BBQ is charcoal and can be low heat, has a hood/lid and be used like a low temp oven if you use the right amount of fuel/charcoal.
In Australia we call a grill a BBQ, maybe Canada is the same. But when someone in the US says BBQ, they don't mean a grill/flat top.

And being a proper Australian my barbecue runs on gas :). I dream of a charcoal one. Luckily mine has a lid so I can moderate the temperature nicely and use it like an oven.

I usually steal seriouseats method for cooking thick steaks which had always worked nicely for me. Salt the outside liberally 45 minutes before cooking and let it sit out for that time. Cook over a low heat flipping every five minutes until about 5C under desired doneness, then blast it on high heat for a minute each side to get a nice crust. Let it rest for five minutes afterwards and it comes out delicious.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Gambas al ajillo (with a good hit of sichuan peppercorn in the oil), fresh baguette, sauteed green beans, vinho verde. :dong:

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Casu Marzu posted:

Gambas al ajillo (with a good hit of sichuan peppercorn in the oil), fresh baguette, sauteed green beans, vinho verde. :dong:

This looks fantastic and now I'm hungry again.

I got a ton of kale in my first CSA box yesterday, so I did a kale & cannellini bean & tomato thing, along with some breaded tilapia. This kale dish is going to last forever.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
What's going on with that dry slice of bread?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Moey posted:

What's going on with that dry slice of bread?

It doesn't photograph so well covered in olive oil?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
n/m

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Apr 25, 2015

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Veritek83 posted:

It doesn't photograph so well covered in olive oil?

Ah makes sense. I have been becoming very fond of bread with a little oil and balsamic. Or oil and Parmesan.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

Pork chop, sweet 'tater fries, and zucchini/white cabbage/onions sautéed with mirin and rice vinegar.

Fake Fast Food Friday: Mung bean falafel on gingery puda (still one of my favourite lazy comfort foods, thanks Dino.!)

So good, so filling.

gipskrampf
Oct 31, 2010
Nap Ghost

PiratePing posted:

Fake Fast Food Friday: Mung bean falafel on gingery puda (still one of my favourite lazy comfort foods, thanks Dino.!)

That looks great, do you have a recipe?

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

gipskrampf posted:

That looks great, do you have a recipe?

Puda:

dino. posted:

Besan ki puda

Basically, they are pancakes made with chickpea flour and optionally rice and/or semolina. They do not need eggs because chickpeas are so rich in protein. Some add yoghurt, but I don't think it's necessary. Better have it on the side as a condiment if you eat milky stuffs.

Puda is one of those magical foodstuffs: it's very tasty (of course it is, it's got chickpeas in it), it's easy, it's cheap, it's quick, it's very healthy and filling, it's good looking enough to serve guests of honour, and you can make it while you're drunk to impress that chick you pulled home from the sorority syrup wrestling party. Also it's a very handy recipe for vegans, because it provides the comfort of fluffy, delicious pancakes without having to resort to gross egg ersatz products. Seriously, if you have chickpea flour on hand, make this tonight.

This stuff is so simple, it's hard to really make a recipe. Take a cup or so chickpea flour and spice it according to taste. Ajwain seed (lovage seed, a kind of wild Indian thyme) is very good. So is turmeric and grated ginger. I like a bit of chili in there as well, either chopped fresh or powder. Lots of chopped spring onion is a must. Coriander, freshly chopped, is good.

Salt lightly, ginger and spring onion provide a good deal of the "spike" that the salt would otherwise give. Add a little baking powder to make them less compact - you can also use baking soda if you add a little lemon juice or another appropriate acid. Maybe a few spoons of rice flour or semolina to make it more crispy. Then stir in cold water until you have a thick, lumpless batter.

Fry in a good deal of oil (go ahead, lay that poo poo down, it makes it better tasting and easier to flip. It's vegan food, it's healthy anyways!) Use a non-stick pan if you've got it. I use a stainless steel pan, but it's magical so don't assume it'll work for you. Fry until they're set on top, loosen and flip carefully then fry some more.

I usually make them with grated ginger, scallions, turmeric plus whatever catches my eye. Bolded part because seriously, a LOT of oil.

Mung bean falafel:

I boiled a bunch of split mung beans and roughly blitzed them with a stick blender until they were pureed enough to stick together but also still had a lot of whole pieces. Blend more for a smoother texture but it should still be a bit crumbly, definitely not a paste. I ended up with about 2+ cups of crumbly mush and added:

Cilantro, a big handful, finely chopped
Parsley (should have, had none)
Onion, finely chopped
Garlic, two toes
Lemon juice
Cumin powder (next time I want whole seeds, toasted)
Coriander powder
A glug of olive oil
Salt and pepper
A big heaping tbs of chickpea flour + as much water as needed to make it sticky enough to form rough balls. Put on baking tray (squish flat a bit) and bake, or fry.

They go really well with warm-sweet flavours so maybe put a fair deal of paprika/chilli in them too. They won't taste as falafel-y but the mung beans are stronger and nuttier in flavour than chickpeas.
Mine came out slightly bland at least, hence the paprika. Next time I'll make them red and eat them with roasted bell peppers and black olives in a pita :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
A friend gave me an enameled cast iron tagine and it's quickly become a favorite piece of cookware.

I made a lentil and veggie tagine tonight.

• Locked thread