Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

The Shortest Path posted:

Regarding caches: Are they supposed to be so drat disappointing? I hit cache 2 and all it gave me was a few iron, lead, and redstone. Considering it took finding platinum before unlocking the locations I was expecting something more worthwhile.

Yeah apparently. The oregen rate is a technically a little bit higher; it isn't a dogpile of ores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
The oregen rate is more than a little bit higher, it's several times the normal rate. Take a pickaxe of the Core to a non-cache site, run around and ring it a few times, then go to a cache and run around ringing it. They're also pretty big, I've noticed higher oregen rates for like a couple hundred block radius ime

That said, it'd be nice if the caches were smaller but more concentrated. Make them like half the radius and another 4x the oregen rate - same total ores on average, but it really feels like a cache.

BrightGreenLine
Sep 2, 2004
oh :gonk:
Going to repost my question from the Modding thread here:

The repeatable quests for seeds and saplings are stuck. They don't have a reset timer and I can't claim them; they're showing as completed.

Glory of Arioch posted:

There's a dedicated blightfall thread but what most likely happened is your reputation is in the shitter

did you die a bunch and/or requisition a bunch of crap

if so then you need to get to work making bread for one of the colonist repeatable quests to get out of the doghouse

Reputation is perfectly fine, and I can do the metal requests without issue.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004
CanVox, et al., there appears to be something up with the version of Botania in the pack. The Rod of Terra Firma is behaving like it did over a year ago when it was bugged - fills in underground spaces and the area behind you instead of sticking to the surface in front of you.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The Dawn Army prepares for battle

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Taffer posted:

The Dawn Army prepares for battle

THE WORLD GROWS CLEANER

Also please please please make Dawn Machines compatible with essentia export buses. They're not and it's sadtimes. The first Dawn Machine, Taffer just loving brute forced it with ten different essentia providers and talked about how much he hates infusion the entire time :v:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Where are you guys getting yellorium for that big reactor?

Also take more pics of your setup, I want to see what's on the right over there.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Bhodi posted:

Also take more pics of your setup, I want to see what's on the right over there.

Digging or reprocessing yellorite to get blutonium. You can design reactors that burn slower and if you have one of them + a reprocessing setup going a load of yellorium can last a pretty goddamn long time.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Also with the right reactor setup a yellow-tinted mining laser might well turn up enough Yellorium to be selfsustaining.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Nah, they changed the weights... with 6 of the yellow foci you get a little more than a 2.5% chance of getting yellorite per operation.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Bhodi posted:

I'm a dirty cheater and stole parts from the ship. It is possible to get enough yellorium for a reactor like that just by digging, but it's not fun. I'd recommend going to the caches to get it. Be sure to always triple yellorite or you find (there's a couple methods for this).

Bhodi posted:

Okay!

This is the machine area. Nothing special here, just a line of machines doing stuff. The reactor behind it is also nothing special, besides being kinda big for blightfall.

Thaumcraft area. You should have seen this before it was un-cluttered, it was an unmitigated disaster.

Node room. Yes, it's ridiculous. Magres is the god king of overkill. There's about 50 wand charging stations and 20 nodes in here.

Pretty AE workshop. Don't mind the texture problem that I'm too lazy to fix.

Not so pretty AE workshop.

Botania room 1. This is where basic things like alchemy and duplication and mana recharging happen. An altar and apothecary for stuff that's not autocrafted yet. A few pools to feed our addiction to overkill duplication.

Botania room 2. This is where the real stuff happens. On the end are 5 overgrowthed munchdews and the formation planes to feed them (2 AE subsystems with 7 planes each), and a pile of endoflames. In the middle is mana storage.

Lots of mana storage.

On the other end of the room is automation. This setup autocrafts runes, flowers, terrasteel, and anything that needs to just be dropped into a mana pool. There is also an amaranthus constantly producing flowers under annihilation planes. There's a hopperhock behind the wall that picks up stuff from all these operations.

The tree farm supporting botania

Some blood magic

This is the node we've been feeding.

http://gfycat.com/FrightenedBitesizedEskimodog

It's been going like that for 4 days or so.

There is another base made by 2 non-goon friends of mine. They like blood magic and building underwater.

In case you think that smeltery is overkill, they are fully utilizing it. It has 7000 tin ingots in it during this screenshot.

Taffer fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 10, 2015

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I gotta say, that makes me wish I had started in Omega myself. Bubbell-supported infrastructure looks so cool.

...is there even any reason to make a hungry node that big? I guess you could use it for recharging staves, but it's not like the maximum vis capacity makes it recover faster from being drained.

http://gfycat.com/FrightenedBitesizedEskimodog
Wait how is this being done? You're piping in the logs, but I didn't know you could do that with molecular assemblers. Also I don't see any interfaces on them.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 10, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

I finished that node room! 32 charging stations, 16 nodes. All of the nodes are 4+ in Terra and Ordo, most are 4+ in all primals, with several 5+ and a 6+ or two

Why? I mean partly cause we have 20 ichor wands for cleaning blight (I can easily rip through 10 in ~20 minutes), partly BECAUSE I SAID SO

Magres fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 10, 2015

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Zebrin posted:

Nah, they changed the weights... with 6 of the yellow foci you get a little more than a 2.5% chance of getting yellorite per operation.

Is there a way to see what the odds are?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Taffer posted:

In case you think that smeltery is overkill, they are fully utilizing it. It has 7000 tin ingots in it during this screenshot.
Tell me more about these 7,000 tin ingots.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Tell me more about these 7,000 tin ingots.

I don't know that much about blood magic, but they have some sigil that lets them walk around and every block within like ~10 radius gets instantly destroyed. They literally just run around bedrock and get thousands of ores in seconds. It doesn't give fortune, but who the hell needs fortune with that.

Then they stick a ton in the smeltery and melt several thousand ores at once for less than a bucket of lava. It's hilarious.

Taffer fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 11, 2015

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Of course it had to be Blood Magic.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

then they spend TWO HUNDRED HOURS pouring out all the metal

(every time i have tried to pour more than one thing at a time it always eats some of the liquid inside)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Just use an autonomous activator and an itemduct to automate your smeltery pouring

Also Shards of Laputa are really cool

It makes a floating island one block at a time, rapid fire, and looks awesome to watch

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

then they spend TWO HUNDRED HOURS pouring out all the metal

(every time i have tried to pour more than one thing at a time it always eats some of the liquid inside)

They have a big automated setup that pours like 12 blocks at a time repeatedly until it's empty, and rigged up a system to clear out extra liquid and turn it into ingots.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I think my favorite part of that setup is the ink sacs and horribly confused dying squids everywhere.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
I don't know if this is a blightfall specific issue or, what.

Basically, the connection to our server, for me, sometimes just dies.

Everything I SEND to the server gets to the server instantly, while everything I get is delayed by 3-5 minutes. Meaning the game is unplayable, and I can chat one way.

Is there a fix for this?

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Magres posted:

They cap at 10 CV, though a Bright node can push it to 12 CV with the +20% bonus

???

As far as I know it's just the square root of the aspect before energizing, no cap. Or do you mean naturally occurring nodes?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Wait what I had been told it was hard capped at 10 per element

huh

:shrug:

In other news the 16 node 'overkill' room isn't overkill, I can still blow through vis faster than it can spit it out. Globetrotter's Sash, Boots of the Traveller (well, the Ichorcloth version) with Haste 3 enchanted on them, and an angel ring, zooming around the ocean with an enlarge V wand focus and a half dozen wands. Though juuust barely

Magres fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 11, 2015

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
So um staff core of the primal needs like 200+ of each aspect to enchant. My scepter holds 150 and with discounts I can get the total cost down to like 190.

How do I even do this.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Edwhirl posted:

So um staff core of the primal needs like 200+ of each aspect to enchant. My scepter holds 150 and with discounts I can get the total cost down to like 190.

How do I even do this.

You need a Tainted Core Scepter.

The staff core of the primal with void caps isn't makeable with base Thaumcraft stuff afaik. People are pretty mad about it on the internet, too

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
'Struth. But you'd probably be better off with an Ichor wand core so you can store 1000 vis instead.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

e: i'm an idiot

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Hunting for the last couple tiles of Blight in a biome is absolutely maddening

I WILL HAVE MY BADGE GAME

I will have my badge

Magres fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 11, 2015

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Welcome to my world about a week ago when I was purging the Mushroom Island. HAHAHAHA....ha :suicide:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Oh god Mushroom Island was awful. The damned biome on the map matches tainted lands so much

E: Goonfall Progress Map

I've been working on sweeping the oceans, because they're the easiest areas to do by wand.

Magres fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 11, 2015

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...
So I have a server I am planning to run this on with a friend. Possibly looking for another 2-3 players who are equally as bad and horrible at this game as us. We plan on this being a whole new learning experience since we haven't touched most these mods in a few years. So if you are bad and wanting to play badly with a few others send me a PM.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
So you still have to go to that wand room and swap out your wands all the time, right?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Magres posted:

Just use an autonomous activator and an itemduct to automate your smeltery pouring

Also Shards of Laputa are really cool

It makes a floating island one block at a time, rapid fire, and looks awesome to watch

Dont even need that just put fluiducts (or whatever they are called these days) on the drains you can pipe it out into tanks or out into casting basins with hoppers underneath, and the metal flows all the time.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I guess the ore caches do have an above average ore generation rate. I am running around in one with a pick of the core and finding more glowing spots. Still, I had made the poor assumption that it would be something like a solid ball of ore or something.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Same. It was a huge disappointment. I mean, it's a world with previous alien life, why wouldn't they have little ore depots? Scanners would detect unusual concentrations. Of ore. In chests.

You spend so long doing that quest for basically zero payoff.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx
Okay, I'm starting to get around to this whole "CV" thing, and had a quick question - once a node has been 'energized', does it still interact with other nearby nodes? I assume it doesn't get bullied since it has the stabilizer on it, but could it eat other, non-stabilized nodes around it?

In the opinion of people who have gone through this - is it easier to get a decent node and feed it up a bit, or to just grab more nodes to energize?

And for people doing Botania - should I just skip energizing a node and find a way for flowers to do my work?

I guess this leads into my biggest complaint with Botania - I *really* don't understand what Botania can do for me, because every time I try to read the manual I get overwhelmed with all of the new basic crap that doesn't seem to have a point to it (why do I care about petals? why do I care about living wood? why do I want a wand? SHUT UP AND READ TWENTY PAGES OF HOW TO DO IT AND LOOK AT THESE FORMULAS THAT GET YOU THINGS YOU CAN USE IN OTHER FORMULAS THAT GET YOU THINGS YOU CAN USE IN OTHER FORMULAS) and I have no motivation to keep digging.There's no indication that Botania actually does anything, so I don't know where I'm headed or why I should care and so it's easy to just drop it.

Edit- final question - are there any other good Questing mods like this? And are any of them more mining/machinery focused? TE and IC I get and am comfortable with; I think trying to learn Thaumcraft AND Botania AND AE2 is just too much at once.

Eschers Basement fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 11, 2015

Carsius
May 7, 2013

I seem to remember some block which allows you to see the sky no matter where it is placed. I'm wanting to build a large tower over my starting biodome, but want to keep the biodome "feel", so I can see the sky regardless of how many floors are above it.

Anyone remember what this block is/ if it's even in this pack?

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

I just have a quick question about tinker's construct. Under all the parts you make, there is a bit of yellow text that says "Parts can be replaced". Right now, I'm confused as to what this even means, because as far as I can see there doesn't seem to be any good way to "replace" a part. Is this just because there is some process I don't know about, or is the whole thing really just bullshit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Botania is a lot different from most mods in that it gives you a lot of tools to interact with the world and it's mostly up to you to figure out why you'd care. Granted, in Blightfall it's also the only source of renewable RF, so that's a little added impetus.

My advice is to just follow Magres' guide to get a jaded amaranthus up and running and then see where it goes from there. Maybe look into some of the baubles (sougourner's sash and the ring that lets you breathe under water are great). By then you'll start to figure out how it works and it'll follow from there.

You'll probably have more specific implementation questions, but this thread has been great for people like us who are learning flower magic for the first time.

• Locked thread