Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Slimy Hog posted:

Do you not have a "I DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO MY MICROSOFT AUTHENTICATOR APP" link per this?

I do, but all that does is give me the option to send the code through the authenticator or enter a verification code. But that code is being sent to to the authenticator, not an email address. Which doesn't matter, because it's my work email, which I can't access, because the authentication keeps popping up. I'm stuck in a loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Not that it helps in the moment, but Microsoft b Authenticator is all kinds of garbage. When O365 or whatever first wants to set it up there is a small link that lets you choose another app. Use that link with a better authenticator app like Duo.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

CzarChasm posted:

I do, but all that does is give me the option to send the code through the authenticator or enter a verification code. But that code is being sent to to the authenticator, not an email address. Which doesn't matter, because it's my work email, which I can't access, because the authentication keeps popping up. I'm stuck in a loop.

If it's for your work email, open a ticket with IT and let them figure it out.

mystes
May 31, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

If it's for your work email, open a ticket with IT and let them figure it out.
They said "while I'm waiting for IT support to get back to me I thought I'd try my luck here"

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Are there any android camera apps that have presets for emulating different types of analog photography?

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Any of you remember Portal of Evil?

Did it have any relation to Something Awful back in the day?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

two fish posted:

Did it have any relation to Something Awful back in the day?

i found out about Something Awful via Portal of Evil but i dont think there was a direct relationship between the sites, just that SA was one of the many sources PoE used to find weird links. as was Stile Project and others

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

two fish posted:

A descendant site, poeTV, still exists, collecting and commenting on strange youtube videos.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Sometimes when we get water from our fridge, the plastic water line going from the wall to the back of the fridge rattles quite a bit. It look like the spigot might be rattling too, but it's hard to tell. What could be going on here, is it a problem, and if so, how can I fix it?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

hooah posted:

Sometimes when we get water from our fridge, the plastic water line going from the wall to the back of the fridge rattles quite a bit. It look like the spigot might be rattling too, but it's hard to tell. What could be going on here, is it a problem, and if so, how can I fix it?

The water pressure in your home might be too high. There are gauges you can buy at hardware stores to check. But do look into it sooner than later because high water pressure can cause leaks and flooding.

I know someone whose house flooded because the water supply line popped off the back of their fridge while they were at the store. They had to stay in a hotel for months while the flood damage was repaired.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

hooah posted:

It could be overall high water pressure like above, it could also be a messed up fluttering valve somewhere like in the fridge itself, or if it shakes even when you're not getting water, it could be a fluttering valve elsewhere in the house (very likely a terlet)

If it's valve flutter, one way to investigate is to close shutoff valves everywhere but the fridge, and see which fixture makes it shake

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

What image hosts are we using now? I wanted to do a batch of like 20 uploads, and imgbb can do that but seems pretty screwed up lately

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Mescal posted:

What image hosts are we using now? I wanted to do a batch of like 20 uploads, and imgbb can do that but seems pretty screwed up lately

Imgur still works they just make you register an account for them to stick around after a year.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Inceltown posted:

Imgur still works they just make you register an account for them to stick around after a year.

They purge anonymous uploads after a year?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

obi_ant posted:

They purge anonymous uploads after a year?

They're a bit cagey on the specifics but that is the time frame I've seen thrown about. There is a bit of info here in a ToS update post

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It's more that they have publicly announced plans to start purging old, unused images, but haven't committed to anything specific yet. I suspect that what they're doing is prioritizing images that haven't been loaded by anyone in a long time, which would be a pretty "invisible" way to free up resources. But they have no real obligation to keep anything online, and all they've committed to AFAIK is that if you have registered an account with them, then your stuff will stay available.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I've used https://postimages.org/ for image uploads. I don't think they expire

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Slimy Hog posted:

Is there a browser extension to upload there?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Can anyone recommend a photo processing software like Lightroom, but simpler and not a subscription? My mother in law is a good photographer but has never really done any post processing and now that she's retired I think she'd like to get into it and I'd like to set her up with something somewhat beginner friendly, but mostly just not a subscription. It's not a problem to pay a one time fee however

mystes
May 31, 2006

Rat Patrol posted:

Can anyone recommend a photo processing software like Lightroom, but simpler and not a subscription? My mother in law is a good photographer but has never really done any post processing and now that she's retired I think she'd like to get into it and I'd like to set her up with something somewhat beginner friendly, but mostly just not a subscription. It's not a problem to pay a one time fee however
Darktable is free but not necessarily simpler than lightroom

I think any software like this is going to take some getting used to but it shouldn't be too complicated if you just stick to basic adjustments.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
That's what I'm hoping. Thanks for the recommendation! I just don't feel like I can trust Google or reviews for anything anymore

vvv I'll have a look at that one too! Thanks!

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 18, 2024

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Try dXo Photolab also. It's also not 'beginner software' but you can make things as simple or complex as you want by closing tabs containing more advanced features.

I absolutely love it and can't see myself returning to Lightroom any time soon.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Why was it such a huge problem, at the time, that JFK was Catholic? Like, why were so many people against him because of it, and why is the US political establishment weird about Catholicism?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Protestant/Catholic used to be a major cultural divide in the US.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Well because the cultural majority were protestant. He was the Wrong Religion, nevermind all the similarities.

Also the leader of the catholic religion is an actual alive guy who can do and say stuff.
A lot of people were worried about his "loyalties" in the hypothetical scenario where the catholic pope ordered him to act against the USA.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

two fish posted:

Why was it such a huge problem, at the time, that JFK was Catholic? Like, why were so many people against him because of it, and why is the US political establishment weird about Catholicism?

there'd never been a catholic president before and some of the protestants (who are the majority) still held on to the belief that a catholic president would be loyal "to rome" (the pope)

also according to jack chick tracts and similar literature there are some kinds of hardcore protestants who think the pope is literally some kind of demon or something so also that

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 18, 2024

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Granted this was 15 years ago and just over the border in Canada, but my small farmer town still had a separate diner for each denomination and the older generations didn't mix often. Think there was some history or bad blood too but as outsiders, not much of that was shared with us. I expect the divide in JFK's time was much more meaningful than it is today.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 18, 2024

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Also also, catholic was a sort of euphemism for Irish and Italian (maybe others), who were more recent immigrant groups, which translated into both being lower class in account of why they emigrated in the first place and also being strong communities that were not (considered) fully melting potted into being Real Americans.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

BonHair posted:

Also also, catholic was a sort of euphemism for Irish and Italian (maybe others), who were more recent immigrant groups, which translated into both being lower class in account of why they emigrated in the first place and also being strong communities that were not (considered) fully melting potted into being Real Americans.

yea in the case of jfk it was well known that his family was irish and part of the stigma around him was also to do with that

quote:

(maybe others)

poles and latinos also

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 18, 2024

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Rat Patrol posted:

This lead me into a rabbit hole to see if it was possible to slum it without prima facie piracy*. There are sites that still mirror Photoshop CS2 including a key from when Adobe had that as an unverified download for people who pinky swear had a license. There are still working links to the Nik Collection (currently dXo owned) from when Google offered these photoshop plugins for free before selling them. The latter installer doesn't recognise PS CS2 as a compatible host, but you can add the folders manually, that works. Then you have to sabotage the updater with a registry hack or it keeps bothering you. That nets you a nice setup that... um... wait. RAW files come in different versions? Oh, just convert them to DNG or download this other software? Aaah, forget it. Can't make someone's mom go through all that.

Thanks for the nostalgic ride and +1 for the dXo recommendation, just on the basis of the Nik Collection being so drat good.

*: ie some license breaking vs straight up cracked - I'm not kidding myself that it is actually a distinction worth making

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Slimy Hog posted:

Seem to work great, ty.

On the image software, I just downloaded Faststone for Picasa-substitute but they, Xnview, don't have arbitrary text-based photo tagging. Know any? More overview and organizational software.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

wash bucket posted:

The water pressure in your home might be too high. There are gauges you can buy at hardware stores to check. But do look into it sooner than later because high water pressure can cause leaks and flooding.

I know someone whose house flooded because the water supply line popped off the back of their fridge while they were at the store. They had to stay in a hotel for months while the flood damage was repaired.

I got a gauge and stuck it on a hose bib. It two indicators - one for current pressure and one for "shock" pressure, according to the packaging. The current indicator is at 45 PSI and the shock one went to like 100 or something ridiculous. The packaging said if it reads under 60 PSI to leave it on overnight, so I'll see. Maybe there's it's not a pressure problem and it's just some valve or something in the line to the fridge that's fluttering.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
I move in less than a week, and a lot of my stuff is already packed. I just discovered some roaches in the house. What can I do to make sure I don't bring these fuckers with me?

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Has anyone been weird about Biden being Catholic, or do those types not really care specifically about that anymore?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

two fish posted:

Has anyone been weird about Biden being Catholic, or do those types not really care specifically about that anymore?

I haven't seen the right -wing media sphere really notice. I think most of them don't know. Of course, most of the people who'd hate him for being Catholic already hate him for being a Democrat.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

two fish posted:

I remember there was a little bit of noise about John Kerry during campaign season 20 years ago -- mostly due to a rumor that a priest might turn him away from receiving Communion due to his pro-choice stance, a scenario which obviously never ended up actually happening.

I can't recall a drat thing being said about Biden's Catholicism, though. It seems the people who want to call him evil and demonic will just do so without resorting to Catholic-bashing. (Which I suppose is progress, of a sort? Kind of?)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

I remember there was a little bit of noise about John Kerry during campaign season 20 years ago -- mostly due to a rumor that a priest might turn him away from receiving Communion due to his pro-choice stance, a scenario which obviously never ended up actually happening.

I've seen something similar come up once or twice regarding Biden but it's by no means common.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

two fish posted:

They’re there but for mainstream protestants the catholic cherry has been popped and nothing bad happened and it’s not really an issue. That and the crazy right wing protestants realized that they actually have a lot in common with crazy right wing catholics.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

I move in less than a week, and a lot of my stuff is already packed. I just discovered some roaches in the house. What can I do to make sure I don't bring these fuckers with me?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944991&pagenumber=9&perpage=40
Might want to try in the pest control thread too. Otherwise, I've heard freezing as much of your stuff as you can might help, but they are definitely fuckers to get rid of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

What societal progress we've made, when the right-wing nutcases befriend each other.