Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

stimpy posted:

I hope for your sake that you abandoned it instead of watching the whole thing, because holy loving poo poo is that movie awful

I did, then enabled my extension on Firefox and spent part of the day watching Childrens Hospital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's funnier than Malcolm in the Middle.

The ending of the second episode where the half-dissolved body falls through the floor and splatters all over the hall is one of the funniest things I've seen on a TV show, and it's what sold me on the show.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
I like Breaking Bad as a sitcom (spoilers for season 4 of Breaking Bad)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtZpo89mmJo

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
Everybody watch Zodiac

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

casa de mi padre posted:

I like Breaking Bad as a sitcom (spoilers for season 4 of Breaking Bad)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtZpo89mmJo
Wow this is pretty funny.

Breaking Bad has some great moments of comedy. The obvious choices are any of Bob Odenkirk's scenes, but also there are a lot of good scenes with the two heavies he hires, one of them played by Bill Burr: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7rXeDArhg0

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Pet Rock Band posted:

Everybody watch Zodiac

Everybody listen to this and watch Zodiac. I saw that movie in theatres and it was excellent. Haven't seen it in a few years, though. I've been meaning to buy the Blu-Ray for a while but just never have. I'll probably just watch it on Netflix soon instead.

If you like David Fincher's directorial style, mystery movies, movies with creepy atmosphere, etc., you'll likely enjoy it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Everybody listen to this and watch Zodiac. I saw that movie in theatres and it was excellent. Haven't seen it in a few years, though. I've been meaning to buy the Blu-Ray for a while but just never have. I'll probably just watch it on Netflix soon instead.

If you like David Fincher's directorial style, mystery movies, movies with creepy atmosphere, etc., you'll likely enjoy it.

It's one of those rare 2h30+ movies that I wished was longer. Really didn't want to leave the world.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

regulargonzalez posted:

Really didn't want to leave the world.

Boy, have I got good news for you.

Is the recommendations server broken? Netflix thinks I'd like Bachelorette, Silent Hill: Revelations, and Happy Gilmore enough to give each of them five stars. I'm cheap, Netflix, but I'm not easy.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

precision posted:

The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane just got added. It's a pretty great thriller starring a young Jodie Foster.

Everybody see this, it's really really good. Bonus for a young Martin Sheen as a creepy neighborhood pedo with designs on Jodie Foster's character who is trying to figure out exactly what the deal is with her and her mysterious father who no one has ever seen who is always just out, working or taking a nap.

All of Foster's acting talent is on display and it's pretty obvious why she became a huge star.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
Zodiac slays hard. I remember being obsessed with the story of the Zodiac killer when I was 19/20 and read the 2 books Robert Graysmith (portrayed in the film by Jake Gyllenhaal) wrote about him, Zodiac and Zodiac Unmasked. This was a few years before the movie came out, and when it did, I was super excited. I thought that for a dramatization of the Graysmith books, it keeps up the paranoid, desperate tone well and actually sticks quite close to the facts of the case as they are laid out in the books. It's a super creepy movie about a super creepy killer and the toll his never being caught takes on those closest to the case.

David Fincher knows how to put something creepy and compelling on camera.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zwabu posted:

Everybody see this, it's really really good. Bonus for a young Martin Sheen as a creepy neighborhood pedo with designs on Jodie Foster's character who is trying to figure out exactly what the deal is with her and her mysterious father who no one has ever seen who is always just out, working or taking a nap.

All of Foster's acting talent is on display and it's pretty obvious why she became a huge star.

I actually specifically didn't mention Sheen because I wanted people to be as surprised as I was when he showed up, but yeah. :v:

It's almost a surreal movie. The credits said it's written by the guy who also wrote the novel, which I'm curious to read now.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Just watched Deathstalker! With a name like that how could I resist? It's basically Conan seeped in creepy Gor stuff. Some of the film is hilarious and has lots of cheesy music, awful limb chopping effects and a hand puppet in a box as the bad guys pet. The problem is that it's really rapey, almost all women on screen are in sexual danger and that's just uncomfortable. The main character is a complete dick too but I don't know how aware the film is of that, as it loves to pipe in heroic music as he disarms then murders bandits trying to flee. I guess they deserve it for trying to rape but it doesn't help the main character instantly starts trying to have sex with the damsel in distress.

edit - Barbarian Queen is also on Netflix and made by the same people! I'm sure it's much less sexist....

Also watched Forbidden World which was kinda weird. It's obviously a big alien rip off but it feels more artistic I guess. There's classical music as ships get blown up by little blobs of energy and crazy editing. At the start when the main character is in stasis we're given an almost Movie trailer like sequence of images of what's going to happen and at the very end we're given the same thing of what has happened. It's a little trippy and the music is totally amazing.

The trailer is probably better than the actual film though.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 3, 2013

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

forever whatever posted:

Zodiac slays hard. I remember being obsessed with the story of the Zodiac killer when I was 19/20 and read the 2 books Robert Graysmith (portrayed in the film by Jake Gyllenhaal) wrote about him, Zodiac and Zodiac Unmasked. This was a few years before the movie came out, and when it did, I was super excited. I thought that for a dramatization of the Graysmith books, it keeps up the paranoid, desperate tone well and actually sticks quite close to the facts of the case as they are laid out in the books. It's a super creepy movie about a super creepy killer and the toll his never being caught takes on those closest to the case.

David Fincher knows how to put something creepy and compelling on camera.

It's a shame that Greysmith's books are self aggrandizing crap (Actually crap is harsh. They're good, but still). 'This is the Zodiac speaking' is much better though sadly hard to find. It just deals with facts rather than Greysmith's conjecture. At times it was like he was writing fan-fiction or something.

Anyway, for us UK folk Netflix will be showing Breaking Bad the day after the US broadcast. Seeing as we have a lovely TV system wherein we literally have hundreds of channels but we'll treat imports like crap (unless it's something like Friends or Two and a Half Men where they'll be shown non-stop for years) it took Netflix to come up with an exclusive deal. Honestly I hope they just do that with as many US imports as they can.

From what I remember one channel did show Breaking Bad in a prime slot. Then when it came to Season 2 they started showing it every night at 11 and then didn't show anything after that. And any of us old enough will remember that the BBC bought the rights to show Seinfeld and then did so at midnight every night.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I haven't kept up with this thread so I don't know if this has been brought up, but dammit it needs repeating. Errol Morris' Tabloid is streaming now, his documentary about Joyce McKinney, a former beauty queen who was accused of kidnapping her Mormon boyfriend and chaining him to a bed and having sex with him. The story only gets more insane from there. It's like a Coen Brothers plot playing out in real life. Absolute must-watch.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TrixRabbi posted:

I haven't kept up with this thread so I don't know if this has been brought up, but dammit it needs repeating. Errol Morris' Tabloid is streaming now, his documentary about Joyce McKinney, a former beauty queen who was accused of kidnapping her Mormon boyfriend and chaining him to a bed and having sex with him. The story only gets more insane from there. It's like a Coen Brothers plot playing out in real life. Absolute must-watch.

I'm watching this right now and can confirm this is the absolute truth. Everyone seriously watch this right now.

:suspense:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, nthing how amazing Tabloid is. That movie is just loving crazy and Morris of course knows how to make a compelling documentary.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
What the gently caress? Did they take down Fringe season five?!

edit: Yes, after a quick Google search, they did. Their deal to distribute it hasn't started up yet, and it won't be back until September 12th. It's not free on Amazon Prime, gotta check Hulu ...

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 4, 2013

snoot
Jun 8, 2006

danger lurks everywhere

axleblaze posted:

Yeah, nthing how amazing Tabloid is. That movie is just loving crazy and Morris of course knows how to make a compelling documentary.

not only compelling but hilarious in parts, particularly the '...and grunted it out' monologue

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
This might not be the right place to ask but does anyone know if you can edit the profiles on Netflix yet? Mine are still showing up from when I used to have multiple profiles on DVD way back in the day, and Id like to edit them so my kids have one, and my wife and I have separate ones. Is there a way to do this yet or am I just trying to jump the gun?

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
I still haven't seen any profile options on the pc, ps3, or roku.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

I still haven't seen any profile options on the pc, ps3, or roku.

Movies.Netflix.com/EditProfiles

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Sarchasm posted:

Random reply but this cracked me the gently caress up, to the point where my girlfriend asked what I was laughing at so much and I had to explain to her an internet forum joke.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Mick Foley documentary WWE For All Mankind just got added. Even if you have no interest at all in wrestling, it's a pretty cool watch because Mick Foley is one cool and very awesome dude which you probably already know.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
Yea, I stopped watching professional wrestling when I got to high school but the sheer brutality of the Hell in the Cell match with Mark Calaway (better known as The Undertaker) is fascinating from just a human perspective...Also a great rebuttal to the notion that pro wrestling isn't 'real'.

Basically, in this particular match, Mick Foley was thrown through the top of a giant cage by accident, falling something like 16 feet and looking pretty much dead for a few minutes. The match continued for some time despite this, ending with a three-count pin by Mark Calaway, but really a win by Foley after the savage punishment he endured wouldn't have even been plausible. It's pretty remarkable and one of the most infamous matches in pro-wrestling history.

At 9:12, the fall isn't scripted.

Amazingly, this is after a scripted fall (at 2:52) that easily could have killed anyone.

This isn't meant to be a derail, more of an endorsement to watch WWE for all Mankind

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

axleblaze posted:

Yeah, I just watched this. It was already pretty great, but then they started talking about clones and my jaw hit the floor.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Sarchasm posted:

lol. I know you know what I meant but still funny

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
The latest season of Breaking Bad is up, which is a boon for those of us without cable.

Walter White's complete transformation from sympathetic protagonist to utter sociopathic antagonist seems to have hit it's stride about midway through. It's almost hard to watch what he's putting everyone else through at this point, though it is still an amazing show.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.

I Before E posted:

Movies.Netflix.com/EditProfiles

Thanks! From reading all the releases, I thought it was just going to be an option from the app itself.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

precision posted:

The Mick Foley documentary WWE For All Mankind just got added. Even if you have no interest at all in wrestling, it's a pretty cool watch because Mick Foley is one cool and very awesome dude which you probably already know.

I thought his autobiography was really good too, but I was probably 14 when I read it so I have no idea how it holds up today.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

The latest season of Breaking Bad is up, which is a boon for those of us without cable.

Walter White's complete transformation from sympathetic protagonist to utter sociopathic antagonist seems to have hit it's stride about midway through. It's almost hard to watch what he's putting everyone else through at this point, though it is still an amazing show.

Plus it makes me appreciate the fashion transition over to boxer briefs even more.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

forever whatever posted:

It's great that Clockers and Do The Right Thing are still up, 90's era Spike Lee was great and he had a lot of interesting things to say about race relations, even if he was a little heavy handed and biased at times.

That being said his most recent feature, Red Hook Summer is up and goddammit, I really don't understand how a director so capable of making decent films can so consistently make worse and worse films over the span of a single decade, it's like he forgot how to tell a compelling story after Bamboozled (which while not on Netflix, is excellent and I highly recommend it to anyone who likes satire or is interested in how race is portrayed in the media). Red Hook is bafflingly awful, and a lead role by Clarke Peters (Lester Freamon on The Wire) does nothing to save it.

Oh well. I also recently watched the documentary Hot Coffee, which describes the process by which lawsuits against corporations have been spun by the right wing in this country to limit consumer rights. It makes the legal nuances, boring to many, quite fascinating and I highly recommend it.

I think 25th Hour is where I was done with Lee. The scene where Norton is speaking to himself in the mirror is probably my most hated moments in film.

Zwabu posted:

Jodie Foster is so incredible in every role she takes. I can understand why someone would want to shoot the president for her.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I think 25th Hour is where I was done with Lee. The scene where Norton is speaking to himself in the mirror is probably my most hated moments in film.

I'm curious why? That scene is so angry, paranoid and unnerving, I thought it was pretty well done.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Also I think that monologue in "25th Hour" was in the original book almost verbatim, so Lee didn't write it..

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

echronorian posted:

I'm curious why? That scene is so angry, paranoid and unnerving, I thought it was pretty well done.

I just hate how it's shot. I can't explain it, I hate the whole film but that scene is the worst part.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Hewlett posted:

Yeah, I just watched this. It was already pretty great, but then they started talking about clones and my jaw hit the floor.

I just got to this part. Holy gently caress man, this Joyce McKinney lady is loving crazy. :catstare:

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
Oh wow, I forgot that 25th Hour came out after Bamboozled, it's seriously one of my favorite movies...

The screenplay was written by the same dude who wrote the book it was based on, so it's pretty faithful there, and yes, the infamous monologue is pretty close to what's in the book...

That monologue is memorable AND divisive. I hated it the first time I saw the movie but then I watched it again a year later and it grew on me a lot...I originally saw the film shortly before I was being deployed to Iraq back in 2004. I sort of dismissed it at the time as being sort of ridiculous, partially due to that monologue and also the monologue at the very end that closes the film (it was distinctly Spike Lee at his most indulgent). However, what resonated with me was how guilt-ridden and soaked in regret it was, and the whole sense of 'what if?' that permeated the whole movie (and was characterized in the monologue)...It's sort of how I was feeling about life at the time, as a 20 year old kid going to a warzone and sort of regretting the choices I had made to led to that.

When I watched the movie again when I got home a little over a year later, I loving loved it. A few years after that, I read the book, and finished the last page while I was having breakfast in a diner across the street from my apartment...I was actually getting teared up and the waitress that morning asked me if I was ok, I had totally forgotten where I was. Brilliant.

But Spike Lee hasn't made a film half that good since, matter as a fact, Red Hook Summer is utterly abysmal by any standards and I'm not even willing to cut him some slack for making a few films that I love.

On a side note, I went to high school in Brunswick Maine, and my parents lived right down the street from Bowdoin College, an insanely expensive liberal arts school. When Bamboozled was in theaters (only a handful, it was very limited-run), Spike Lee came to Bowdoin to speak about it, and it was open to the public. The auditorium was PACKED and it looked like a lot of black people had traveled from all over the area to see him speak (Maine is the whitest state in the country, so it was noticeable). He took a lot of questions from the audience and I swear, every single one he took from a rich white Bowdoin kid was met with utter contempt and annoyance by Lee. He basically just berated every white college kid that asked a question but was pretty chill and articulate whenever someone who was obviously a fan who had traveled to see him asked him. I got a kick out of that, since I had lived down the street from Bowdoin for years at that point and had my own opinions about rich white kids.

Ok, maybe I am willing to cut Lee some slack for making a mediocre film.

forever whatever fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 5, 2013

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

precision posted:

I'm going to second this recommendation, as well as CM Punk: Best In The World, which is one of the most open WWE documentaries I've ever seen, about one of my favorite wrestlers working today.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

forever whatever posted:

That monologue is memorable AND divisive. I hated it the first time I saw the movie but then I watched it again a year later and it grew on me a lot...I originally saw the film shortly before I was being deployed to Iraq back in 2004. I sort of dismissed it at the time as being sort of ridiculous, partially due to that monologue and also the monologue at the very end that closes the film (it was distinctly Spike Lee at his most indulgent). However, what resonated with me was how guilt-ridden and soaked in regret it was, and the whole sense of 'what if?' that permeated the whole movie (and was characterized in the monologue)...It's sort of how I was feeling about life at the time, as a 20 year old kid going to a warzone and sort of regretting the choices I had made to led to that.

I also loved how New York (and 9/11 to an extent) are treated as a sort of ominous presence/character throughout the film. Which I guess is pretty typical of Spike, but I've always liked that about his movies.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

forever whatever posted:

On a side note, I went to high school in Brunswick Maine, and my parents lived right down the street from Bowdoin College, an insanely expensive liberal arts school. When Bamboozled was in theaters (only a handful, it was very limited-run), Spike Lee came to Bowdoin to speak about it, and it was open to the public. The auditorium was PACKED and it looked like a lot of black people had traveled from all over the area to see him speak (Maine is the whitest state in the country, so it was noticeable). He took a lot of questions from the audience and I swear, every single one he took from a rich white Bowdoin kid was met with utter contempt and annoyance by Lee. He basically just berated every white college kid that asked a question but was pretty chill and articulate whenever someone who was obviously a fan who had traveled to see him asked him. I got a kick out of that, since I had lived down the street from Bowdoin for years at that point and had my own opinions about rich white kids.

Maybe you're not telling the whole story but this actually makes him sound like a total dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

WickedIcon posted:

Maybe you're not telling the whole story but this actually makes him sound like a total dick.

Yeah I mean if the "rich white kids" (how do you know they're rich? I know plenty of poor college kids in New England?) were asking good questions and he was just eyerolling at literally all of them, that's just... inane.

• Locked thread