Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Vulture Culture posted:

I'm nowhere near an expert anymore, but failing anything else, I'd pass the drive through to a VM and SCP the data over to one of the connected hosts via the Tech Support Mode SSH server. Unless you've got huge sparse files, I don't think there's any particular reason you would need to use VMFS on your removable media -- just download the disks and VMX files.

Thats the rub, I can passthrough an NTFS formatted usb drive to a new VM but now what? The usb drive isn't bootable, the new VM is blank and because of usbarbitrator I cant see anything on the usb device from esxi itself. Also it seems ESXi has no real USB support aside from passthrough. It doesnt even have 'mount'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't know anything about VSA, but is an iSCSI/NFS NAS an option? Anytime I am dealing with something like you are describing I use a NAS instead of a USB drive.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
We have a couple CentOS 7 VMs in Vsphere that seem to have poo poo themselves after cloning. The original parent VMs are fine but we can't get the clones to perform worth a damned - it looks like they can't get any CPU time (running "time iptables -L -v" takes 30 seconds of wall-clock time and gets 0.003 seconds of CPU time). However, the IT guys are telling me that they don't have any limits set in the VM consoles. They also tell me they're not seeing any signs of I/O latency on the SAN. They did reduce the number of cores the VM had when they cloned it but that shouldn't do anything (it's been restarted numerous times since changing the number of cores).

We're all out of ideas on what might be causing this, any ideas?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Internet Explorer posted:

I don't know anything about VSA, but is an iSCSI/NFS NAS an option? Anytime I am dealing with something like you are describing I use a NAS instead of a USB drive.

SFTP from the cheapest Synology shitbox?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

What's the COSTOP /WAIT/READY on the VMs and host(s)?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

thebigcow posted:

SFTP from the cheapest Synology shitbox?

I don't know if SFTP is necessary if you can make a VMFS partition on an iSCSI NAS, but again, I haven't worked with VSA.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

This. Bring a NAS you can plug into your core storage switch.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The cheap WD NAS boxes support NFS, which surprised me.

https://www.wdc.com/en-gb/products/network-attached-storage/my-cloud-expert-series-ex2-ultra.html

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Can confirm, cheap WD boxes work in a pinch. I've had terrible experiences with Seagate ones though for what it's worth.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
The advantage of SFTP or SCP or whatever would be not having to set up a datastore first. I don't know which is less scripting work in the end.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Someone created a 10TB VM on a datastore just big enough to fit it, took a Snapshot then started making copies of 4TB of files. Only on our testing cluster but still :suicide:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
We'd just upgraded to vSphere 6.5 and we're in the process of moving NetBackup jobs to vDP, and then today VMware says they're getting rid of vDP after 6.5 :rip:

https://www.emc.com/en-us/microsites/offer-programs/vdp-eoa.htm

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

anthonypants posted:

We'd just upgraded to vSphere 6.5 and we're in the process of moving NetBackup jobs to vDP, and then today VMware says they're getting rid of vDP after 6.5 :rip:

Not surprising, it never really took off.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

anthonypants posted:

aaand now the customer who wanted vmware data protection last year gets to receive an email from me!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

big money big clit posted:

Not surprising, it never really took off.
We've had a DataDomain backup appliance forever, and vDP is free, but we've been using NetBackup because of inertia, and I'm worried that we'll go back to NetBackup instead of like, Veeam.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

anthonypants posted:

We've had a DataDomain backup appliance forever, and vDP is free, but we've been using NetBackup because of inertia, and I'm worried that we'll go back to NetBackup instead of like, Veeam.

If it's any consolation, VDP wasn't a particularly good product, and we've had customers that ran into significant issues with it, so maybe it's for the best.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

If it's any consolation, VDP wasn't a particularly good product, and we've had customers that ran into significant issues with it, so maybe it's for the best.
I'm pretty confident NetBackup isn't a particularly good product, either. I have no idea which is least worst.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
It's a Symantec product, it's definitely worse.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

VDP is just Avamar in different clothes. That's not much better, and I loving hate Netbackup.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

devmd01 posted:

Symantec product

I was hoping the were gong out of business after the cert thing

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Veeam is pretty awesome. We had Commvault and Veeam is just so nice compared to the complexity of Commvault. Spinning up machines in a lab for upgrading or testing purposes straight from the NetApp snapshots is pretty cool.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Rubrik is currently my favorite backup product out there. It's still somewhat limited though, and not cheap. VEEAM is great up to a certain size, but it has issues with scale and self-service/automation.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Scale as in backup sizes, VM count, host count, Veeam proxy count etc. or all of the above? How large are we talking here?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Scale as in backup sizes, VM count, host count, Veeam proxy count etc. or all of the above? How large are we talking here?

Scale as in host/VM count. We're talking hundreds/thousands of hosts and thousands of VMs. For tens of hosts and a few hundreds of VMs it's fine, but things like proxy availability, repository performance, Veeam server perforance, etc get much harder to architect when you're trying to do dozens of even hundreds of concurrent backups.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We're seriously looking at Cohesity to replace EMC Notworker the next fiscal year, anyone have experience with that in a mostly virtualized environment?

We will be migrating some workloads to the cloud within the next year, and we like everything about Cohesity so far.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Rubrik is currently my favorite backup product out there. It's still somewhat limited though, and not cheap. VEEAM is great up to a certain size, but it has issues with scale and self-service/automation.

I agree 100% on both counts. We went from Veeam (which didn't scale for poo poo) to Rubrik and it's been fantastic.

devmd01 posted:

We're seriously looking at Cohesity to replace EMC Notworker the next fiscal year, anyone have experience with that in a mostly virtualized environment?

We will be migrating some workloads to the cloud within the next year, and we like everything about Cohesity so far.

Maybe worth looking at Rubrik too. Cohesity wasn't quite there yet when we ended up going Rubrik, but it certainly looked like a good solution.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are the people hitting scalability issues with Veeam taking VMware snapshots and then shifting those to storage, or are you still going to have issues with database scale even if you're using storage snapshot integration?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My biggest beef with Veeam, as I can't speak to scale, is the way it handles archival/GFS backups. Doing something like 4 weekly / 12 monthly / 7 yearly archival backups takes waaaaay too much storage and they could handle it better.

Otherwise in our small environment it has been great.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

devmd01 posted:

We just partnered with Cohesity, so I don't have a ton of experience with them, but it's very similar to Rubrik and I've heard good things from a few colleagues. The architecture seems fine, it's just so new it's hard to say how it really works.

Thanks Ants posted:

Are the people hitting scalability issues with Veeam taking VMware snapshots and then shifting those to storage, or are you still going to have issues with database scale even if you're using storage snapshot integration?

Depends on what you're doing with the storage offload. If you're just using VEEAM as a scheduler for storage snapshot and replication and recovery from storage snapshots then it's better. If you're still using VEEAM as a data mover you can still run into issues with having to deploy a ton of proxies to keep all of that data moving fast enough to meet backup windows. The big benefit of Rubrik and Cohesity from a scale perspective is that the ingest rate and concurrency naturally scale up as you add capacity. It also doesn't consume hypervisor compute resources like VEEAM proxies.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Is there really no way to do vCenter failover without a loadbalancer? If I have two sites, at which site would I put the loadbalancer?

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 8, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's the HA option in 6.5 if you use the VCSA

https://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-65/index.jsp#com.vmware.vsphere.avail.doc/GUID-33AC12C8-EEB7-422D-831B-B1B5A7FECC44.html

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

anthonypants posted:

Is there really no way to do vCenter failover without a loadbalancer? If I have two sites, at which site would I put the loadbalancer?

The load balancer is just for the psc portion, not vcenter as well. If one PSC goes down you can just manually repoint vcenter to the replicated PSC to avoid the load balancer. Or use DNS to mimic a load balancer failover.

But if the vcenter server goes down you've got to restore it from backup, or a replica, or otherwise get the VMware back up and running. Or use the windows vcenter with windows failover clustering for true failover.

That's for 6.0. As mentioned, 6.5 has native HA for the vcsa.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I was loving around with our PSC and I think changing the timezone from UTC to PDT broke everything and now vpxd is complaining about certificate and the certificate-manager service won't start. How bad did I gently caress up

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

I was loving around with our PSC and I think changing the timezone from UTC to PDT broke everything and now vpxd is complaining about certificate and the certificate-manager service won't start. How bad did I gently caress up

Give it 7 hours and it'll probably start working again.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

theperminator posted:

Give it 7 hours and it'll probably start working again.
Hmm...nope.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

anthonypants posted:

What I actually did was gently caress up the trust relationship between our VCSA and its PSC. Whoops.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
We have a XenServer host running some Oracle DR VMs, for inexplicable reasons, and I just found out that XenServer has a XenCenter so I turned it on and it's actually kind of nice. But it complained that our license had expired, so I went to the website it told me to go to and filled out a form and got a new license, and they sent me the following email with the license key attached:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

As a long-time XenServer admin, XenServer is garbage. What you're seeing is a reactivation of the free license, just like VMware you are supposed to renew it once a year.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

XenServer is garbage.

This is the truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
And so is VMware support these days. We're going on a week with a case open because we can't delete any goddamn datastores out of our production cluster. I just had the case escalated because the guy that was assigned to our case isn't worth a drat.