Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I used a basic brine for the pork, 10oz by weight of salt per gallon of water. Some cracked pepper, 4 tbs of soy sauce, 2 tbsp of teriaki sauce, and a 1/2 cup sugar in my one gallon batch of brine. Soaked the pork, then patted it dry and 'marinated' it in about 1 tbsp of red foot coloring and teriaki sauce to get it that "red" color. Then roasted it and cubed it for use in the rolls.

I see that there. fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nereid
Sep 17, 2009

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

I attempted to buy the smallest batch of beets available at the local farm stand and ended up with something like fifteen of them and a fuckton of greens. So I've been having lots of beets and recipe suggestions are always welcome. These are roasted with a mixture of curry paste, sesame oil, soy sauce and way too much salt drizzled over them with fresh basil from my garden. not pictured: the greens that a boiled and ate in a separate bowl. (sorry for the instagram)

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

Steak looks amazing.

Now a semi-non related question. How did you get the colors so 'rich' in that pboto. I'd like to begin to photograph my wifes food (or even my smoking/BBQ) but I have never been able to get the richness in my photos. I'd really appreciate some specific tips on how you adjust your photos to get that fantastic look.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

CrushedWill posted:

Steak looks amazing.

Now a semi-non related question. How did you get the colors so 'rich' in that pboto. I'd like to begin to photograph my wifes food (or even my smoking/BBQ) but I have never been able to get the richness in my photos. I'd really appreciate some specific tips on how you adjust your photos to get that fantastic look.

Part of it is his food is just amazing looking to begin with, and the other part is a little work in post. If you're familiar with Lightroom you can touch up photos with a few colors or saturation sliders in literally a minutes and fix under/overexposed stuff too. Also having a nice camera helps too, those look like a mark 2 I think

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

thehandtruck posted:

Part of it is his food is just amazing looking to begin with, and the other part is a little work in post. If you're familiar with Lightroom you can touch up photos with a few colors or saturation sliders in literally a minutes and fix under/overexposed stuff too. Also having a nice camera helps too, those look like a mark 2 I think

His food does look amazing but there is something going on with how the pics are saturated that I can't duplicate with photoshop.

I'm not saying its not possible, I am saying I have no clue how to do it :(

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

IMG_6319 by stoevpan, on Flickr

Made Coq au Vin with thick sliced bacon, mushrooms, onion, and 5 buck chuck (a merlot). Sauce being reduced here.

IMG_6320 by stoevpan, on Flickr

Final product (ate about half of it before I could even take a picture)

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

CrushedWill posted:

His food does look amazing but there is something going on with how the pics are saturated that I can't duplicate with photoshop.

It's probably just that he uses a really expensive camera.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

CrushedWill posted:

Ya lightroom is good bad is ok http://www.slrlounge.com/how-to-color-correct-with-lightroom

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Much appreciated, I'll take a look at this when I get back to a desktop :)

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Helps that he is bouncing a flash as well with that photo.

Pan seared pork rib chop with green beans and mushroom cream sauce.

Edit: Pretty sure Gravity is using Photoshop CS5. But if that was my photo I usually bump the saturation, pull the highlights down a bit if the flash was a bit too strong as well as drop the blacks a couple points. White balancing is really helpful too.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 10, 2013

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

no, that steakonthegrill was available light shot at sunset on the patio. The cut steak side on was rear bounced flash.

I don't think I do anything particularly tricky. Set the white balance, set the exposure, set the contrast, maybe bump vibrance a bit, I don't like the saturation adjustment very much, personally. That's about it.

Yes, PS CS5, Adobe Camera Raw, Nikon D200. That was with a 35mm f/1.8, no flash as mentioned. I like adobe camera raw because of the white balance tool which you can click on any neutral gray, white, or blackish object and it will ball park the white balance pretty well. I will sometimes still nudge it slightly warm because I like the way it looks but that's a per shot thing and no set rules really.

I think that one was actually pushed a bit on exposure past what I'd prefer. I was kind of in a hurry because I only had a few min to edit all of those before I had to head to a meeting that day.

understanding lighting is a big part of it. Very contrasty lighting (intense directional light or point sources) will have a tendency to wash out colors and lose highlight detail. Too low contrast will have a tedency for pictures to have no pop or texture. Knowing your lighting and supplementing as necessary is important. You don't need a fancy flash or whatever to do it either. A window and a white posterboard for reflecting can get you some really nice light. Also shooting in full shadow on a sunny day or on fully overcast days.

Like for instance:

Norwegian Smoked Salmon and Caviar Cream Cheese on a Plain Bagel by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

Was shot on my lap on a bench in front of a deli/appetizer shop on Houston St in NYC on a cloudy day.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jun 10, 2013

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

Walnut & blue cheese bread

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Man now I really want lox.

Like that bread too

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Stew and penne. Beef, bacon, zucchini, carrots, lots of onions in a herb tomato base.

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 10, 2013

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Made a low effort one person cheese fondue this evening

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Vietnamese caramel pork again cause I found a big honkin shoulder roast for around $12. Made this to take to work maiinly for the next few days.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Ad Hoc fried chicken and roasted peewee potatoes. My first brining attempt... Hot drat!

ScamWhaleHolyGrail
Dec 24, 2009

first ride
a little nervous but excited

Salads all day err' day with 99 cent produce manager specials.
Roasted beets with goat cheese and honey-balsamic dressing.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Smidgen of Pidgeons posted:

Salads all day err' day with 99 cent produce manager specials.
Roasted beets with goat cheese and honey-balsamic dressing.

Hah! I had a beet/chevre/spinach/caramelized onion salad for lunch!

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME
Hot as balls here. Gazpacho time!

Sieved it and it's currently chillin' in the fridge. Can't wait!

EDIT: Et fin!

(imgur has neutered the colours somewhat - brilliant!)

Nelson Mandela fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 12, 2013

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
^^ looks good, I love that stuff! I know I'm deffo single again because I've cooked gazpacho 3 times in the last week. I don't sieve it though, just blend it till its smoothish, with a ton of garlic . I don't see any in your pics, how much do you use?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
What meat is that topped with? Looks good :)

Derek of the Andes
Dec 10, 2009

Doh004 posted:

Looks like speck or smoked bacon lardons.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it
Too goddamn hot for cooking, so I made bun cha with leftover thit kho

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME

toiletbrush posted:

^^ looks good, I love that stuff! I know I'm deffo single again because I've cooked gazpacho 3 times in the last week. I don't sieve it though, just blend it till its smoothish, with a ton of garlic . I don't see any in your pics, how much do you use?
Thanks! With 500g of tomatoes and one pepper total, I used one clove. I didn't include several things in the pic (soaked bread, etc).

Doh004 posted:

Smoked bacon lardons is right. :)

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

feelz good man posted:

Too goddamn hot for cooking, so I made bun cha with leftover thit kho

That looks beautiful and refreshing. Can you post or link the recipe?

TrifectaPerfecta
Apr 16, 2007
I've been trying to step up my cooking game lately. This thread has been a massive inspiration, first time contributing but I'm going to try to remember to take pictures more, and hopefully next time I'll remember before I'm sitting with the plate in my lap and little light.

Boneless pork chop in a wine reduction sauce with whole garlic cloves and brussels sprout hotchpot. I wish I could remember who originally posted the hotchpot on here, but thank you! I never do plain mashed potatoes anymore, it's wonderful.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Shady get out of my internets! lfgss, bikethread and now here :)

Caponata, poached egg and raspberry almond crumble.

Chickpea gratin, rhubarb cobbler & yoghurt (needs way more rhubarb)

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I couldn't find a cookie thread, so cookies are being posted here!

Recipe is here. Medium-high effort, but completely worth it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
steak dinner!

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Nice lookin' meat :bigtran:

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

thehandtruck posted:

That looks beautiful and refreshing. Can you post or link the recipe?
Yeah it's super simple. This is the bowl contents from the ground up:

- torn up red-leaf lettuce
- boiled and rinsed bún noodles (get at any asianmart)
- meat of choice (I used leftover vietnamese caramel pork, but thịt nướng or almost anything else is good)
- spearmint
- sliced cucumber
- cilantro
- đồ chua (pickled carrot and daikon)

If you want :siren:THE WORKS:siren: then top it all with:
- fried shallots
- scallion oil
- toasted ground peanuts

In the bottle is nước chấm which I just make by doing 1 part fish sauce, 1 part sugar, 2 parts water, and then tossing in some lime juice, raw garlic and sometimes thai chiles (girlfriend doesn't like heat, so I didn't have any chiles in the above picture)

If you are on IRC, miche is a great person to hit up if you have questions, and she has a lot of cool writeups here: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Cooking_Vietnamese

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Gnocchi & romesco sauce mopped up with heaps sourdough

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Friend requested I make him a Victoria Sponge, so I did. :3:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 15, 2013

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Now that's a sponge.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

Trying out the pan seared steak thing to help with my skills for work. I tried the salting first for like an hour or two to make that brine that should get re-absorbed into the meat technique I have read about. I finished it off in the oven, and unfortunately it was overdone by a minute or two, as the resting period lead it to a medium. I am too ashamed to post the steak after getting cut. Maybe next time I can get a perfect medium-rare NY strip.

I have a really terrible guilty pleasure; Kraft Mac n Cheeze from work, with some garlic/beef broth steamed green beans and onion with some of the liquid poured over.

edit; I tried out this McCormicks Bacon Molasses and Smoked Maple flavored seasoning(not pictured) a lot recently and have been extremely pleased with them. Next meal will probably be pork chops n bacon or something with those McCormicks flavors.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

That sieve trick for poached eggs is pretty neat

vvv http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/how-to-poach-eggs-easy-way-poached-breakfast-video.html
Basically just break the egg into a wire sieve, swirl it for a few seconds to remove the "outer yolk", then poach in simmering water.

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 15, 2013

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Sieve trick, what's that?

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Kind of dumb but I'm proud of making lunch for my roommate and I (since I don't think I've actually cooked a meal in years).

Homemade sweet tomato sauce I had sitting around in a mason jar, roasted squash and zucchini (neither of which I've cooked before), and minced garlic.
I'm really hoping to try more squash and zucchini recipes soon. I have about 10 pounds of both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

Goddamn posted:

Sieve trick, what's that?

Crack your eggs into a fine meshed sieve before dipping them into your water. It gets rid of all the loose/watery white that separates during cooking.

• Locked thread