Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Son of a BITCH. I finally got a string of archer kills, several matches... But every time I start doing good it's pulling some "your kills didnt count all match hahahaha" bullshit. I would have unlocked the third dagger five times over by now. Even restarting the game hasn't been clearing it up last few.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Hotwire posted:

Awesome. Duel mode has stopped saving my loadout between rounds. Annoying as balls.

You aren't pressing C enough.

Holepunchio
May 31, 2011

Section Z posted:

Son of a BITCH. I finally got a string of archer kills, several matches... But every time I start doing good it's pulling some "your kills didnt count all match hahahaha" bullshit. I would have unlocked the third dagger five times over by now. Even restarting the game hasn't been clearing it up last few.
If it helps, I don't think its your client, but flaky statistic tracking on servers. You might have better luck switching servers than restarting the client.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

God *drat* is the Claymore broken. I've been playing on duel servers against claymore vanguards (got to the point where I was going jav archer because I hate vanguards and want to see them punished for their crimes) and their combos are so loving fast that I originally thought people were hacking.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Man noone knows how to play this game in the servers I join. All is dead quiet when I enter the battle. Fortunately after mashing on the C key for awhile and spamming taunts everyone seems to get into it :unsmith:

Section Z posted:

Had this happen tonight too. I had probably about 50 kills with the warhammer/maul :(, switching servers fixed it for me though the kills were still lost.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

God *drat* is the Claymore broken. I've been playing on duel servers against claymore vanguards (got to the point where I was going jav archer because I hate vanguards and want to see them punished for their crimes) and their combos are so loving fast that I originally thought people were hacking.

Yeah granted Im still new to this but claymore Vanguards have been giving me tons of trouble.

SpRahl fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 25, 2013

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

SpRahl posted:

Man noone knows how to play this game in the servers I join. All is dead quiet when I enter the battle. Fortunately after mashing on the C key for awhile and spamming taunts everyone seems to get into it :unsmith:
Typing 'I AM NOT HEARING ENOUGH MANLINESS IN THIS SERVER, I WANT TO HEAR YOU IDIOTS SHOUTING' is usually enough to get the entire battlefield roaring for at least a few minutes.

Gibbone
May 8, 2011
If you want to get gud at chivalry, the best thing to do is duel a lot. Fight a mix of guys who are worse and better than you, and start to get a feel for footwork and reach. Most important is picking up on the tells every player has that let you know what theyre about to do.

A key technique is reading the mind of the other player - watch for when the other guy stops sidestepping around and begins instead to come straight at you, this is the perfect time to attack him because his mind is purely focussed on his upcoming attack, without a thought to defence. Even very good players will shift their thinking into certain plans, and if you can guess the rough outline of their plan, you should spoil it by preempting them. Skilled players suck to fight because thy seem to know what you're going to do before you do it, and strike first/ always parry.

Duelling is the fast track to learning this stuff, and once you know it, you'll win nine out of ten 1v1s in team objective, and you can also start doing things like taking on multiple enemies at once. Sink 50 hours into duelling and chivalry becomes 10x more fun and deep. You wouldnt believe how often a rank 20 or so duellist will thrash a level 45 vanguard pro kiter if given a chance at a 1v1.

edit: btw claymore tends to desync heavily, so the weapon trace is slightly ahead of the swing that you will see the vannie making towards you. Makes it tough to deal with

Gibbone fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 25, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gibbone posted:

Sink 50 hours into duelling and chivalry becomes 10x more fun and deep.

...gently caress no?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Don't learn to fight in duel mode, it's full of spergs. Do CTF or Objective, where it's a better mixture.

Hog Jowls
Apr 10, 2004

The ditch is nearer.

Gibbone posted:

Sink 50 hours into duelling and chivalry becomes 10x more fun and deep. You wouldnt believe how often a rank 20 or so duellist will thrash a level 45 vanguard pro kiter if given a chance at a 1v1.

Haha, wow. Props for being dedicated, and I have no doubt you're a good player, but I can just skip duel and play objectives and have the game be 10x more fun and deep instantly. Pretty much the only time I'll play duel or last team standing is if I've already been playing on the server and it's a fun group.

I've unlocked every single weapon at this point... except the bows. :( Javelin is not bad because of its versatility, and the bows are decent for some levels, but I suspect it will be a long time going before I can be bothered to finish off the crossbows. It's kind of the antithesis of the man at arms, which has always been and continues to be the most fun for me.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Gibbone posted:

Duelling is the fast track to learning this stuff, and once you know it, you'll win nine out of ten 1v1s in team objective, and you can also start doing things like taking on multiple enemies at once. Sink 50 hours into duelling and chivalry becomes 10x more fun and deep. You wouldnt believe how often a rank 20 or so duellist will thrash a level 45 vanguard pro kiter if given a chance at a 1v1.
This is all well and good until you connect to a server that isn't in your 2-3 clique of nonsense and suddenly the latency is loving you sideways. Or you connect to one of those servers, and it turns out that it's gotten pissy inexplicably in the last week or so. It's not worth trying to be all Mlg "I TRAIN NOT GAME" nonsense on this game because so much of it is at the mercy of how your connection is feeling that day, and how lovely a mood the server happens to be in this hour. This is precisely why I insist that the MaA is so lovely when compared to the other classes, because he's very heavily reliant on these bullshit mechanics due to his lovely design and it can change quite a bit through no fault nor input of the player's. I know Slappy's gonna disagree with me on it but he's entitled to say what he does, however fractured I think it is.

Not to mention the technical landscape is totally different for low-demand Duel servers and pretty high stress TO or CTF servers. Again, many, many servers in this game are prone to hiccups and quirks on TO/CTF that you rarely see in Duel simply because there's so much less going on. You admit yourself that the Claymore desynchs, well news flash it's gonna desynch different when there's different demands being thrown around. You just suggested someone sink 50 hours into an esoteric training mode that isn't actually going to prepare them for the part of the game that they want to play.

PS: Since ranks are purely score/kills, someone who's rank 10 but half-decent can easily take down a rank 50 that's done nothing but poopsock the game and LMB-spam a vanguard weapon for hundreds of hours. Rank isn't a measure of skill and it never was intended to be. It's even sillier when you mention it's 1v1, and I'd say that an outright super-minority of encounters in CTF/TO are 1v1 duels, someone will always jump in on one side or the other and getting focused on a specific enemy is a great way to get flanked and filleted. What you really meant to say is 'if you want to get good at dueling, duel a lot.'

If you want to learn by example, pull up a CTF or TO server, watch a round or two to see who's near the top in a class you like, and then make it your business to hang near them during the next map to help them and watch how they operate. You'll have way more success due to some teamwork, and you'll have way more fun with the game. Also, always remember to shout. Never, ever stop shouting, even if it's just C.

e: I don't mean to harp on the game's technical problems as saying it ruins the game or some equally stupid nonsense. The presence of a lot of these bugs, I'd argue, end up as a net positive for the game because its appeal is how chaotic and batshit insane it is. That said, if we could get a couple fewer of these bugs benefiting the Vanguard, that'd be fantastic, TIA Torn Banner.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 25, 2013

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
:laugh: I've sunk half an hour in duels and that was only because the server I was on switched to duels and I was too lazy to change servers, and I regularly top the scoreboard in TO/LTS when I'm not focused on being stupid.

The worse thing a new player can do while trying to learn the game is regularly get stuck in a fight against more than one person at a time so just don't be stupid and charge straight, instead hit the edges of the battle while paying attention to where new enemies would come from. Footwork and mouse dragging and all that stuff will come to you when you're surviving longer than five seconds in every battle.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Coolguye posted:

"I TRAIN NOT GAME"

I honestly have never heard this phrase used, but I certainly know that there are people who believe it wholeheartedly.

The thing is, folks, as much as I (and others) bitch about the game, we play it because it's fun. We're going off on which mode is the best to train in and which are the best techniques and weapons, but it's all nothing compared to whether you are having fun or not. If you want to play around in duel mode, do it! Want to push carts and kill kings, play objective! Want a clusterfuck of swords? Play FFA!

Just have *fun*. Don't worry about anything else. You will pick up techniques naturally, in time by playing or reading the thread. Just make sure you watch the intorductory videos in the OP, then just go out and play for the fun of it.

No one likes a pubstar, and even fewer like an aspiring pubstar.

Gibbone
May 8, 2011
I don't mean to give the impression that I'm like sweating it out, playing duels despite hating it and looking down on the poor mortals who merely play team objective. Duels are my fav part of the game so I play them a lot, but if you like team objective more than play that I guess? It's a video game so it doesn't really matter. I'm not trying to bring the concerns of the chivalry forums (if you havent read them yet never ever do unless you like discussing millisecond differences in combo feint speeds or whatever) here, just offering a tip I guess. Like, I brought up the claymore desyncing and you start talking about how the entire game is a farce, never speak of techniques or skill ever again because latency exists.

All I can say is the stuff you do in dueling makes you much better at the game more broadly and opens up a lot of options. You can have loads of fun just hacking away in team objective with a bardiche sure, that's just as valid. I don't really get what you mean by "esoteric training mode" it's a mode in and of itself that shockingly is really fun for loads of people. If you really love the game and after a while you'd like to get even better at it, then I'd recommend dueling and picking up some skills! No need to start talking about pubstars and whatever else, we're all "press x then 8 over and over forever" friends here

Gibbone fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 25, 2013

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Coolguye posted:

Typing 'I AM NOT HEARING ENOUGH MANLINESS IN THIS SERVER, I WANT TO HEAR YOU IDIOTS SHOUTING' is usually enough to get the entire battlefield roaring for at least a few minutes.

I just say "PRESS C WHEN YOU SPRINT". Works every time :black101:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Hog Jowls posted:

I understand the motivation, but don't act like it's the best (or only) use of the weapon or the one that will contribute the most.

I'm not! Of course it's not always useful, but especially in large TO games it's more a matter of numbers, and thinning out the swarm of players going for the objective does help, I think. It also tends to slow them down since they will waste time trying to countersnipe and run from cover to cover. I'm just saying it's not always useless to be a sniper.

Gibbone
May 8, 2011
Maptips: if you play darkforest ( the map with the corpse cart) the ammo boxes restock ammunition super fast. Go man at arms, stand next to ammo boxes, begin to throw firepots as fast as humanly possible. Wait for the screams. You dont get many kills but by god you'll burn them.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

FFA makes firepots so fun. See a bunch of people dueling, they're all bleeding from being hit, pot the group, watch them all burn to death one by one. :flame:

Gibbone
May 8, 2011
There's something beautiful about watching a whole enemy team hop madly and run in circles because a teeny man at arms has his arm cranked back with a firepot ready to go.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The most improvement I got was from playing on an FFA server that informally agreed on dueling for an hour or two. So basically just FFA only that everybody agreed not to stab already fighting people in the back. I'd say that was both more fun and more educational than a "proper" duel server since you don't have so much downtime between fights, people aren't as spergy, and you also learn how to deal with starting a fight at a health/stamina disadvantage.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Gibbone posted:

Maptips: if you play darkforest ( the map with the corpse cart) the ammo boxes restock ammunition super fast. Go man at arms, stand next to ammo boxes, begin to throw firepots as fast as humanly possible. Wait for the screams. You dont get many kills but by god you'll burn them.

I had my finest firepot moment on darkforest a few days ago. It was a full 42 player server, so the character density was larger than usual. I was playing Agatha and the Masons had just finished pushing the cart through the first part of the map, there was just a couple of them on the cart, and everyone, the entire surviving mason and agatha teams were rushing to it, the first to keep it running, the latter to do as much damage in the furball that was about to form around the cart. I was a bit closer to it than the rest (others than those who pushed it), but I only had a sliver of health. So I get to the cart, and knowing that the masons around the cart would see me dead in seconds, I threw my oil pot. At my feet. Right behind the cart. The exact place where both teams were converging on.

The screams as some ~20 players try to bash each others' heads in while collectively on fire. :allears:

Perestroika posted:

The most improvement I got was from playing on an FFA server that informally agreed on dueling for an hour or two. So basically just FFA only that everybody agreed not to stab already fighting people in the back. I'd say that was both more fun and more educational than a "proper" duel server since you don't have so much downtime between fights, people aren't as spergy, and you also learn how to deal with starting a fight at a health/stamina disadvantage.

There's actually servers dedicated to this, I've only played on one like that once but it was fun. Fun crowd, fun game.

Gibbone
May 8, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Yeah this kind of server rocks, the only letdown is the constant influx of players who don't read the server name and start shooting everyone.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
My favourite firepot spot is the gate in Stoneshill once the ram reaches it. Since everyone without their heads up their arses will head there, a single firepot will likely set a dozen or more people on fire (and prevent the attackers from using the ram as well). Add in some oil from above and it's a horribly amusing orchestra of screams. And since anyone who dies of fire continues to scream until they respawn, the whole area soon becomes some nightmarish hellstorm :supaburn:

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

MadJackMcJack posted:

My favourite firepot spot is the gate in Stoneshill once the ram reaches it. Since everyone without their heads up their arses will head there, a single firepot will likely set a dozen or more people on fire (and prevent the attackers from using the ram as well). Add in some oil from above and it's a horribly amusing orchestra of screams. And since anyone who dies of fire continues to scream until they respawn, the whole area soon becomes some nightmarish hellstorm :supaburn:

The best firepot spot it the hill in the arena king of the hill because as soon as one person starts doing it everyone else seems to pick up whats going on and doing the same thing. I think one match we had at least 10-15 men at arms throwing fire onto the hill.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Dueling is fun but there's pretty much always a bunch of dudes who exclusively duel and use all the techniques you never really see used in any of the team based or FFA modes, usually these dudes will wreck you poo poo up with sword dragging and neo like movements while aiming their weapons straight to the sky and hitting your foot as they strafe by you while hugging your face. You don't really need to know how to counter these effectively or how to use those techniques in order to consistently rank in the top of team or FFA game modes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Shibawanko posted:

I'm not! Of course it's not always useful, but especially in large TO games it's more a matter of numbers, and thinning out the swarm of players going for the objective does help, I think. It also tends to slow them down since they will waste time trying to countersnipe and run from cover to cover. I'm just saying it's not always useless to be a sniper.

I've lost tons of rounds because people think exactly like this, get completely focused on sniping, and then do nothing when the objective is taken because they didn't notice. This game is pretty lovely about relaying information to the player so if you are focused on hitting people across the map you might not see that we are about to lose an objective. Maybe you have really good awareness, but I doubt most people do.

Yeah I guess sniping from across the map can thin out the numbers which does help, but you can do the same exact thing just by defending the objective and helping people that are actually fighting. Sniping might help, while supporting at the objective definitely will. Plus if you have good aim it will show people that archers can be extremely potent as a supporter rather than sniper.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Dueling is fun but there's pretty much always a bunch of dudes who exclusively duel and use all the techniques you never really see used in any of the team based or FFA modes, usually these dudes will wreck you poo poo up with sword dragging and neo like movements while aiming their weapons straight to the sky and hitting your foot as they strafe by you while hugging your face. You don't really need to know how to counter these effectively or how to use those techniques in order to consistently rank in the top of team or FFA game modes.

Yep.

Duel mode is primarily about tricks and poo poo like this, I play it mostly and I can tell you it is almost a different game to the regular game and the players are infinitely more lovely as people. Dueling is primarily about doing stupid loving tricks and bitching about feinters.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
You guys are salty as hell.

If someone is beating you, then they must be abusing bugs or gimmicks.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
We didn't say that though? There's a bunch of techniques, 'high level skills' if that makes you feel better, that are used heavily in duel mode by seasoned players that are hardly ever used in the other game modes when you have more than one opponent to worry about.

That those techniques look cheesy as hell is one thing, they are hardly bugs though as real time swings are an intentional mechanic.

As for whether they're gimmicky or not, it's not really pertinent, it's a technique that can be used and can be countered, I never claimed to be as good as those guys.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yeah plus like other Team based objective games things such as not charging in piece meal and actually doing the objectives in a cunning way is much more important than duel mode sperg uber techniques.

The fun part of the game is all about kicking a opponent in the rear end so your team mate has a easier time exploding the guy's head with his mace.

Soaring Hawk
Sep 1, 2005
Perfection is our nature. When we cease to inhibit it, it will be so.

Glass of Milk posted:

The worst game mode on the Classic servers is the FFA fistfight. 20 minutes is waaay too long for that round.

The devs announced that Tavern (the map you're referring to) is going to be shortened to 10 minutes maximum in the next patch. I love the map but the decision to cut the time in half is (obviously) a good one!

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Game owns with friends. Play with friends. (Goons)

Barehanded Brother
Feb 12, 2007

When you have a Hammer, everything looks like a nail.
I had my finest Chivalry moment yesterday playing Dark Forest as a Mason. I was middling around the scoreboard with a broadsword MAA like usual when we finally got the sluice gates open, I rushed to the wooden bridge and found an Agathan knight manning the ballista. I shouted "Kill those annoying archers", and just started flailing away at him from behind, killing him, and then turning tail and running from his friends who were coming at me, going up the hill to the back way to the queen's kids or whatever.

For some reason, literally no one followed me (on either team) and so I just walked down to the barricaded door and started beating on it with my broadsword, assuming that at some point one of the Agathans would notice and decapitate me with a maul or something. Nope. After about 20-25 hits on the door, it finally broke down and I slaughtered all of the filthy royals in the room, and after I finished one of their vanguards finally showed up as I was leaving the room. I retreated back into the room where he promptly tried horizontal swings at me, banging them off the wall so I just stabbed him to death, spammed x-x-2 and then ran off behind their spawn to get to the other room, whose doors had been blown off by an enterprising catapulter. After taking another one of their vanguards from behind, I saw there were 3 or 4 of Agathans in the room with the royals, so I just pulled out my firepot and chucked it in there right after another one of our MAAs did the same thing, burning them to death as I just gave up and let them descend on me in a wave as the heirs burned to death by my hand :flame: :black101:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Barehanded Brother posted:

I had my finest Chivalry moment yesterday playing Dark Forest as a Mason. I was middling around the scoreboard with a broadsword MAA like usual when we finally got the sluice gates open, I rushed to the wooden bridge and found an Agathan knight manning the ballista. I shouted "Kill those annoying archers", and just started flailing away at him from behind, killing him, and then turning tail and running from his friends who were coming at me, going up the hill to the back way to the queen's kids or whatever.
I love doing this. Usually you do get your rear end cut off by someone who has a right ear and hears the distinctive 'CLUNK, CLANK' of you beating down the barricade, but the reactions you get from the Agathans that their best hard point is gone tend to be incredible.

Barehanded Brother
Feb 12, 2007

When you have a Hammer, everything looks like a nail.
I have chat disabled but at that moment I wanted to re-enable it just to see the rage they were putting into their keyboards :allears:

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
I love that map because I love blowing open the walls with the catapult. 2-3 hits and the wall is wide open. Also looks super rad and I usually kill an archer or two as well.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
I really, really don't like how they made it so that you can't queue an attack mid-dodge. The cooldown isn't bad, but this? This is the real killer. I've died so much more due to not being able to close the distance after making someone whiff, or just because the fights have been prolonged because I can't get in there to finish it up so some rear end in a top hat comes from behind and obliterates me.

I still do reasonably well as a MaA, but now it's so much harder than it already was.

I've also started using lead ammo for the sling, and it really makes a difference in stopping power and crowd control. I just wish it had more ammo though. 25 is pretty low.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
A couple of times now I've been hit by a shieldbash from a flail-using knight that Ive never seen before. It doesn't look like the kick replacement other shields get, I'm getting smacked with the edge of the shield. Hurts like a bitch, too. What is that?

edit: vvvvv Cool, I'll have to try that. Kind of nice for them to give the buckler something decent to balance out its sheer shittiness as a shield.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 25, 2013

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Robot Randy posted:

I really, really don't like how they made it so that you can't queue an attack mid-dodge. The cooldown isn't bad, but this? This is the real killer. I've died so much more due to not being able to close the distance after making someone whiff, or just because the fights have been prolonged because I can't get in there to finish it up so some rear end in a top hat comes from behind and obliterates me.

I still do reasonably well as a MaA, but now it's so much harder than it already was.

I've also started using lead ammo for the sling, and it really makes a difference in stopping power and crowd control. I just wish it had more ammo though. 25 is pretty low.

You just need to keep picking them back up out of their exploded skulls :black101:

Ravenfood posted:

A couple of times now I've been hit by a shieldbash from a flail-using knight that Ive never seen before. It doesn't look like the kick replacement other shields get, I'm getting smacked with the edge of the shield. Hurts like a bitch, too. What is that?

It's a different attack from having the buckler. Knights just never get that shield except with the flail but you'll see it from jav archers and the occasional dumb MaA that equips it.

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth
The buckler bash is awesome. It definitely is a must with the flails, they need the speed.

• Locked thread