Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Zaggitz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3od0CeSqFcA

There's your entire argument shattered, I'll be on my way.

There is... logic in what he says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
If that guitar lick is actually in the soundtrack I'm going to find whoever wrote that episode and give them so many medals that the weight of their meritorious lucre will plunge them into an early (or deeper) grave.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

If that guitar lick is actually in the soundtrack I'm going to find whoever wrote that episode and give them so many medals that the weight of their meritorious lucre will plunge them into an early (or deeper) grave.

Alas, the world is not so beautiful.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt67k3AEl1s

It's still p beautiful.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Man, the Davison-era Cybermen really just totally gave up on that whole "emotionless" thing, huh?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Man, the Davison-era Cybermen really just totally gave up on that whole "emotionless" thing, huh?

They're the EXCELLENT era Cybermen, from the 70s until the revival.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Toxxupation posted:

And finally, we get to the cherry on top of this crap sundae, which are the Cybermen.

The Cybermen are apparently a long-running enemy of Doctor Who, so maybe they were more differentiated in the past but to me, holy crap are the Cybermen just low-rent Daleks. From their weird way of walking, to their modulated voice, to their lack of emotion, to their clipped speech, to their repetition of a single word- in this case "DELETE" over "EXTERMINATE" -the main antagonists of this episode, the army of metal men we are supposed to implicitly fear come off as a knockoff of an already utterly absurd looking enemy. Cybermen are so loving stupid, you guys.
Despite what anyone says, there are no good Cybermen. They have always been terrible. The concept is good, as Gaz-L said it's essentially the same as the Borg, but (like the Borg) it almost immediately starts getting a whole bunch of unnecessary poo poo added to it. Believe it or not, they could actually have been worse. The old Cybermen's greatest weakness was that gold dust would clog up their respirators and kill them. Gold dust. The good guys used weapons called "glitter guns" against them.

Although one thing that's definitely worse about these Cybermen is the stupid catch phrase. It doesn't even make sense! They're cyborgs, not robots, and even if they were robots there's no reason that they would call killing "deleting" because that's incredibly dumb. Daleks yelling "exterminate" constantly makes some sense, because they're constantly enraged beings designed to hate, and you couldn't really have them not do it at this point since it's so iconic. The Cybermen never had a catch phrase though and they didn't need one. That wasn't the magical ingredient they'd always been missing.

I do like the idea of having alternate universe Cybermen though, that's a good way to bring them back without all the ridiculous bullshit from the old series (glitter guns), so it's pretty unfortunate that the new version turned out to not be an improvement.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I wish they'd embrace the organic nature of Cybermen more. Rather than having their emotions purged it would make them scarier if they were actually happy all the time. The Cybermen are ultimately good-intentioned after all, they just want to upgrade as many people as possible so they can have what they have, they actually think they are improving people.

Makes sense that part of that process would be having the suits chemically make the person inside happy all the time.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Senor Tron posted:

I wish they'd embrace the organic nature of Cybermen more. Rather than having their emotions purged it would make them scarier if they were actually happy all the time. The Cybermen are ultimately good-intentioned after all, they just want to upgrade as many people as possible so they can have what they have, they actually think they are improving people.

Makes sense that part of that process would be having the suits chemically make the person inside happy all the time.

Happy sing-song voices would go a long way towards making even the dumb iron-man suits more engaging.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Trig, man, you're as far off base as possible.

Here's how it works- the original Cybermen were awesome.

I can name three good Cyberman stories, like was alluded to earlier. Tenth Planet, Tomb, Invasion. (I have not seen Moonbase)

Tenth and Tomb were both good CYBERMAN stories, though Tenth was more about them then Tomb was. Invasion, on the flip side, is just a fantastic goddamn serial that happens to have the Cybermen as the villains. It also has, to me, the single best looking Cybermen in all of Doctor Who- New or Old. And I mean that.

After that? Nothing but giant turd mountains. Just piles of poo poo so high you need wings to see the top.

You know what didn't get introduced until after these stories?

That loving Gold weakness.

So yet again it comes down to this simple fact.

There hasn't been a good Cyberman story in 40 loving years.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Burkion posted:

There hasn't been a good Cyberman story in 40 loving years.

On TV. Spare Parts, come on!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

In addition to Spare Parts, The Silver Turk was quite fun.

Mary Shelly befriending a Tenth Planet Cyberman! It's great!

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Say what you will about the Cybermen in this episode, it's still nowhere near as bad a story as "Silver Nemesis." (Which I know Occupation will never watch. And he's better off for it.)

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Say what you will about the Cybermen in this episode, it's still nowhere near as bad a story as "Silver Nemesis." (Which I know Occupation will never watch. And he's better off for it.)

Refer to my previous posts you pleblord.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Zaggitz posted:

Refer to my previous posts you pleblord.

Listen, I love the Cybermen Excellenting All Around as much as one guy can, but that serial is incredibly Awful.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Zaggitz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3od0CeSqFcA

There's your entire argument shattered, I'll be on my way.

This makes me believe that Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure was just the story of two Cybermen with wild imaginations who stole the TARDIS.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Jsor posted:

This makes me believe that Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure was just the story of two Cybermen with wild imaginations who stole the TARDIS.

Of course it was.

Nah, Robot Bill and Ted look too good to be Cybermen.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Aug 28, 2014

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Tiggum posted:

Despite what anyone says, there are no good Cybermen. They have always been terrible. The concept is good, as Gaz-L said it's essentially the same as the Borg, but (like the Borg) it almost immediately starts getting a whole bunch of unnecessary poo poo added to it. Believe it or not, they could actually have been worse. The old Cybermen's greatest weakness was that gold dust would clog up their respirators and kill them. Gold dust. The good guys used weapons called "glitter guns" against them.

That was added nearly a decade (and five stories) after they first appeared, FYI.

To be quite honest you can get from Tenth Planet to the EXCELLENT cybermen pretty easily by focusing on the wrong part of their situation. One of the thing that works best for early Cybermen is that they looked run down (you can really see the Tenth Planet cybermen being built up piece by piece rather than as one big robot) and thought they were doing everyone a favour. Unfortunately this is the element that had been lost - they kept the will to survive only. By Revenge the cybermen, in essence, knew they were baddies.

Toxxupation posted:

[*] That cold open was so bad it looped back around to fuckin incredible. "AND HOW WILL YOU DO THAT FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE". Jesus Christ.

I'm sorry, I don't quite get what you mean

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

By coincidence I watched my Tenth Planet DVD last night. Man those guys are much more creepy and weird than anything we've seen since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBHGbBJwyh0

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
One of the most useful interpretations of Cybermen for me was that they represented the Threat of Communism in the same mode as the Nazism of the Daleks. Cybermen want everyone to be made equal as impersonal automatons of the State, trying to convert or destroy everyone they encounter into will-less beings like themselves. The Daleks on the other hand were created by an insane 'charismatic' leader and have become a unstoppable force of genocidal xenophobia based on their twisted ideas on genetic purity. That 1960's/Cold War/post-WWII-horrors lens colors a lot of how they both were created, shoestring design budget and goofy low-tech effects notwithstanding.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Oh yeah, Occ there's one more similarity that you've missed: Lumic is just a knock off version of the Dalek's wheelchair bound dying creator, Davros.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

if this thread ended right now, I would almost certainly continue watching the show anyways not because I think the show is good, but because it has the capacity to be good

You are not the only one.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

"I'm watching this not because it's good but because it has the capacity to be good" is also the descriptor for like 90 percent of TV, in my opinion, especially anything speculative that focuses on monster-of-the-week.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Oxxidation posted:

Parallel universes are seldom a good idea.

Parallel universe stories can work if your actors have the chops to sell the hell out of the idea that There's Two Of Everything. So basically Fringe.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

howe_sam posted:

Parallel universe stories can work if your actors have the chops to sell the hell out of the idea that There's Two Of Everything. So basically Fringe.

On the other hand, parallel universes also have some value when your cast is as hilariously bad as Noel Clarke. His "acting" as Rickey is amazing.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Toxxupation posted:

But even if the show is 100% guaranteed to be absolutely atrocious from this episode on out, I'd still watch...

Now, I do see the show's value, I get why people are fans or even diehard fans, and I respect them, even when I don't agree with them. Even in the worst episodes of an episode of Doctor Who, I see positive aspects, things that could have worked in a better-realized version of the episode.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Soothing Vapors posted:

On the other hand, parallel universes also have some value when your cast is as hilariously bad as Noel Clarke. His "acting" as Rickey is amazing.

I don't remember the episode well enough to know if it was in this or part 2, but isn't that part of the joke with Rickey?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

howe_sam posted:

There's a story from the Third Doctor called Inferno where the Doctor is sent to a parallel (and fascist) world with evil versions of the main non-Doctor characters which has the plot one day in advance of "normal" Earth. It's really really good.

It also has one of the best cliffhangers in Doctor Who.

So there's this drill thing going down to the Earth's core and the Doctor thinks the Earth will be destroyed if it starts up and the main scientist is a jerk who ignores him.

And so the Doctor disguises himself as one of the techs to try and stop it.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x248uqd_doctor-who-inferno-4-7_shortfilms

(Skip to 22 minutes or so).

The cliffhanger is that the Doctor is caught before he can stop the drill and the final words are the countdown going to two... one... ze- over the credits. How the gently caress does the Doctor get out of this???

He actually doesn't. He's right, the entire // Earth is destroyed!

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I like the idea that various enemy races in Doctor Who represent different threats to the UK from the present or past.
The Daleks are indeed Nazi metaphors, the Cybermen are the Soviet Union. There's a race I can think of that represents the people of places England has colonized striking back against those who took their land. I'm sure if you tried hard enough you could come up with some sort of real world thing the Slitheen reference. Maybe.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Spatula City posted:

I'm sure if you tried hard enough you could come up with some sort of real world thing the Slitheen reference. Maybe.

America

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Spatula City posted:

I like the idea that various enemy races in Doctor Who represent different threats to the UK from the present or past.
The Daleks are indeed Nazi metaphors, the Cybermen are the Soviet Union. There's a race I can think of that represents the people of places England has colonized striking back against those who took their land. I'm sure if you tried hard enough you could come up with some sort of real world thing the Slitheen reference. Maybe.

According to some terrible tumblrtard article I read, the Gelth represent immigrants and show's treatment of them is anti-immigrant

Or something

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Spatula City posted:

The Slitheen are pretty clearly meant to represent New Labour at the dawn of the War on Terror.

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012
Ecclestone is the shellshocked british liberal, stunned into apathy by the Iraq war he was incapable of preventing. Tennant is Blair: they're both scottish affecting english accents, charismatic, and handsome. they both get away with war crimes and retain popularity.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Much too easy.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Quick, billie piper, I need you to act as wooden and awkward as humanly possible, I know it'll be a huge acting feat but you can do it

"Cor blimey, are ya shure about dat mistah dave-ees?"

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

nuzak posted:

Ecclestone is the shellshocked british liberal, stunned into apathy by the Iraq war he was incapable of preventing. Tennant is Blair: they're both scottish affecting english accents, charismatic, and handsome. they both get away with war crimes and retain popularity.

Well Blair DID regenerate into Tennant :tinfoil:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

New Labour... that's weird.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyexKUSKFW0

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
There are certain kinds of actors and actresses that can make bad material sound great a lot of the time, and then there are those that come off awful unless the material's good. Piper is the latter, most actors playing companions after her are the former.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A HUNDRED MORE YEARS!

• Locked thread