Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I wonder if I'm just getting burned out on New Japan because I really wasn't feeling those final two matches at all. Ishii/Honma was good but there have to have been 50+ matches just like that in New Japan over the past 3 years or so, with two guys standing there stiffing the gently caress out of each other and mixing in some occasional head-dropping for variety. And Nakamura/Nagata was well below what I think those two are capable of, and probably below the New Japan main event level in general.

Everyone else seems to enjoy them though so maybe it's just me being grumpy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I know I'm probably gonna be lynched for this, but Nakamura was kinda underwhelming. Like, it seemed like his heart wasn't in it, just kinda going through the motions.

And dammit, Blue Justice deserves more than that :colbert:

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011

Dunbar posted:

I wonder if I'm just getting burned out on New Japan because I really wasn't feeling those final two matches at all. Ishii/Honma was good but there have to have been 50+ matches just like that in New Japan over the past 3 years or so, with two guys standing there stiffing the gently caress out of each other and mixing in some occasional head-dropping for variety. And Nakamura/Nagata was well below what I think those two are capable of, and probably below the New Japan main event level in general.

Everyone else seems to enjoy them though so maybe it's just me being grumpy.

The Ishii/Honma match started off that way, but the last half of it went a level beyond even the craziest Ishii matches, at least for me.

Honma is just perfect at, no matter how much he gets hit and how unlikely it is, making me think he's gonna win this time.

Nakamura/Nagata was real disappointing though yeah, I guess they figured they couldn't follow what came before but even with that it was still just average.

Biosys fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 14, 2015

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

I could have sworn I saw a dislocation in Ishii's shoulder when that spot happened with his good shoulder but I guess not.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
I don't know what the correct way to push Honma is but they really need to figure it out and do it. He lucked into the G1 and was amazing there and then he lucked into this match and was amazing. Do something with the guy Gedo.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I want Rob Conway to challenge for the IWGP Heavyweight title, and win.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Spermgod posted:

I don't know what the correct way to push Honma is but they really need to figure it out and do it. He lucked into the G1 and was amazing there and then he lucked into this match and was amazing. Do something with the guy Gedo.

I'm usually the last person to second guess the booking, but I definitely think he'd do well with the Ishii push. Ishii was in a similar position as an incredibly talented guy who they never did a lot with not too long ago.

I wish they'd have pulled the trigger this morning. I'm assuming Makabe was originally booked to retain so its not like they'd be loving up their plans for Ishii and I'd would've been an incredible moment.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
I think there is a risk that if they have him win too much it kills the gimmick, but if he goes too long without a big win they're going to crest the peak as far as eliciting the biggest reaction goes. I feel like they could get away with a singles win once every year or two. Maybe even win the NEVER title but lose it on his first defense. Idk just put the guy in singles matches on every big show dammit.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 14, 2015

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I want Honma vs. Styles in the G1. Honma wins.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Honma is the single greatest jobber on earth. Regardless of how few singles matches he's won in so long, I still buy every single match that this MIGHT BE THE ONE.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Honma is the perfect embodiment of fighting spirit.

e; honma broke my heart on valentines day

Another Person fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 14, 2015

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Honma reminds me of early '90s Kobashi in that he fights his absolute rear end off and usually loses, but the big win feels like it's coming and it's gonna own when it happens.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
I know he's more talented than the comparison I'm gonna make, but Honma has a bit of the Mizdow Dilemma, where if you break the seal of the act with a ton of heat people will go absolutely insane for a night or a week or a month but then the mystique is gone. Mizdow is a much bigger problem since you can't really go back to the well with that one while Honma can lose again without it being a huge deal but I definitely think part of what makes Honma so great beyond his in-ring work is that "will this be the time" factor.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

I know he's more talented than the comparison I'm gonna make, but Honma has a bit of the Mizdow Dilemma, where if you break the seal of the act with a ton of heat people will go absolutely insane for a night or a week or a month but then the mystique is gone. Mizdow is a much bigger problem since you can't really go back to the well with that one while Honma can lose again without it being a huge deal but I definitely think part of what makes Honma so great beyond his in-ring work is that "will this be the time" factor.

Honma is such a better worker that you could do something different/higher up the card with him, but yeah it is kind of a risk considering how well this current thing works.

Honma was a top guy in BJW right? Or at least p. up the card?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Honma is one of the only guys who can still get me emotionally invested in a slugfest and I hope he wins the big one some day soon

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

If they hold off too long though he becomes a Goto.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
y'all have to remember that honma is near 40 with a body hosed up by a deathmatch career so, like, he probably doesn't have enough time for any sort of sustained run near the top which might be why they're shying away from it (but, alternately, that might be a reason to pull the trigger right away while you still can i dunno)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Nerokerubina posted:

y'all have to remember that honma is near 40 with a body hosed up by a deathmatch career so, like, he probably doesn't have enough time for any sort of sustained run near the top which might be why they're shying away from it (but, alternately, that might be a reason to pull the trigger right away while you still can i dunno)

Honma isn't the guy you give a sustained run at the top to, you give him an underdog push to a title when you think the time is right. For now the crowd is hugely behind him being a lovable loser so you can ride that out a bit longer.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The smaller groups in the g-1 might favour giving him a real underdog story into the finals. I wouldn't have him win it, but they wouldn't have to put him over too many guys to get him to the semi's or finals.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Honma doesn't need a run at the top. All he needs is an opportunity to unexpectedly go over the top guy once. He is a wildcard who won't stay down. Every once in a while he can beat AJ or Shinsuke in the closest, most brutal 5* on the planet, but most of the time he burns himself out flying from the top rope headfirst. As long as you do it once every year or so, people will buy it every time.

You know that once he gets and drops a title, he won't be worth poo poo again. If you never make it clear when his time is over, you can keep him going for as long as you want.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
He needs to beat Tanahashi in the G-1.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Even if there is no God or Buddha...there is Honma.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

NickRoweFillea posted:

Even if there is no God or Buddha...there is Honma.

He died so Ishii may live.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Under the vegetable posted:

He needs to beat Tanahashi in the G-1.

He should be the guy to end the Bullet Club

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the bullet club will never end

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hopefully it does soon.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

ICHIBAHN posted:

Hopefully it does soon.

Doubt it will be soon, they still need to split into Hollywood Bullet Club and Wolfpac Bullet Club first.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

before NJ Cup the next show is New Japan Road, which should be just a show, nothing remarkable

quote:

New Japan Road in Okinawa Prefectural Budokan Arena Building (February 27th)

Card
  • Sho Tanaka vs. Yohei Komatsu
  • Manabu Nakanishi & KUSHIDA vs. World Class Tag Team (Jado & Gedo)
  • Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Jushin Thunder Liger vs. Satoshi Kojima & Tiger Mask IV
  • Yuji Nagata & Captain New Japan vs. Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata
  • Tetsuya Naito & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI)
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi & G.B.H. (Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma) vs. CHAOS (Shinsuke Nakamura, Toru Yano & Tomohiro Ishii)
How to watch: Live & on demand on NJPW World (¥999/month)

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Main thing I'm interested in on that show is seeing Jado and Gedo as a tag team for the first time since the former's career threatening injury. Dude must enjoy it since it's not like that's even his main job at this point. Honma vs. Nakamura and Ishii is kinda cool too.

Oh, and it's going to be at 4:30 AM EST like all the Korakuen shows.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm looking for the shows, links preferably, where Nakamura turned heel and formed CHAOS, April 2009 show according to Wikipedia. Also would like to see Tanahashi's return against Nakanishi in 2003 from getting plugged. Cheers for the help lads. 

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

ICHIBAHN posted:

I'm looking for the shows, links preferably, where Nakamura turned heel and formed CHAOS, April 2009 show according to Wikipedia. Also would like to see Tanahashi's return against Nakanishi in 2003 from getting plugged. Cheers for the help lads. 

I can't find any links, but the show where Toru Yano turned on Makabe and Honma and helped Nakamura to win, and formed CHAOS, was NJPW Resolution 2009.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I can't find any links, but the show where Toru Yano turned on Makabe and Honma and helped Nakamura to win, and formed CHAOS, was NJPW Resolution 2009.

part 1
part 2

As a bonus, the opener on that show was Koji Kanemoto vs. some young lion

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Thank you very much. When did Naka start wearing leather pants & sporting that awesome haircut?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

March schedule is up.

The cool thing is that we are indeed getting every day of the NJC. What sucks is that the finals are going to be on minor tape delay just like NB: Osaka. I hope this doesn't become a trend with all major shows.

Oh, and to clear up any confusion, the actual NJC tournament is three days. Round 1 is on the 5th, Round 2 on the 8th, and the semi-finals and finals on the 15th. The Saitama show on the 9th is just a standard house show on the NJC tour.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 23, 2015

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Goddamnit, I work early on Tree morning.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Goddamnit, I work early on Tree morning.

Goddamn that sucks, I normally party the night before so I'm pretty rooted on Tree Day.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

New Japan Road in Okinawa Prefectural Budokan Arena Building (February 27th)at 4:30 EST/9:30 GMT

Card
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi & G.B.H. (Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma) vs. CHAOS (Shinsuke Nakamura, Toru Yano & Tomohiro Ishii)

A reminder that this show is late tonight/tomorrow morning at 4:30. Nothing can't miss, but the main should be good and it'll be fun to see Gedo and Jado as a tag team for the first time since Jado's neck injury.

Germ Incubator
Nov 4, 2009

*Cowboy Shit*

Thauros posted:

New Japan Road in Okinawa Prefectural Budokan Arena Building (February 27th)at 4:30 EST/9:30 GMT

Card

A reminder that this show is late tonight/tomorrow morning at 4:30. Nothing can't miss, but the main should be good and it'll be fun to see Gedo and Jado as a tag team for the first time since Jado's neck injury.

Holy poo poo I can actually watch a show live for once. I'll have some breakfast and watch some wrestles, perfect start to the day off :)

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
This one is probably going to be a house show set up right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

KungFu Grip posted:

This one is probably going to be a house show set up right?

Yeah, if it's a "Road to" show not in Korakuen expect minimal camerawork and no commentary.

• Locked thread