Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Well, the App Store COULD install apps somewhere in the user's space (say, ~/Applications/) without needing an admin password if it wanted to. It doesn't give you that option though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Any other people with a dev account a bit concerned by the very minimal changes in the 10.8.1 seed? Unless it comes with more changes by release, I don't see it fixing many of the bugs in the current build...

But then I've never analysed pre-release updates because I don't have a separate test machine, so is this their standard thing? Add incremental bug fixes to dev seeds of updates?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Choadmaster posted:

Well, the App Store COULD install apps somewhere in the user's space (say, ~/Applications/) without needing an admin password if it wanted to. It doesn't give you that option though.

Oh, I thought this was there App Store apps installed to.

Well this whole thing is really silly and poorly implemented then. A standard user account should be able to buy and install apps (other than system updates) without an admin account. It works for Linux, why doesn't it work here.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
When speaking of MP3s, are bitrate and size a linear relationship?

I have 88.4 GB of music on my computer, in 320KBps CBR MP3 format. I need to buy an iPod of some flavor as i'll be working on a ship for a year. If I went to, say, 160KBps, would my music now weigh 44.2GB?

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Polymerized Cum posted:

I have 88.4 GB of music on my computer, in 320KBps CBR MP3 format. I need to buy an iPod of some flavor as i'll be working on a ship for a year. If I went to, say, 160KBps, would my music now weigh 44.2GB?

If it's CBR, yes. You'll probably want to use VBR or AAC though; VBR will reduce the bitrate in portions of the MP3 that don't need it, and AAC offers better quality for the bitrate all the way around. You'll lose a little fidelity when transcoding, but converting from 320 Kbps will probably not sound perceptibly different.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Polymerized Cum posted:

Bitrate is just size divided by time, and recompressing your music will hopefully not involve changing the playback length, so...

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Since I upgraded to Safari 6, when I click a 'go to new post' button on the forums, it scrolls to about 5-6 posts before that. Is this a safari issue or something that needs to be added to the forums code?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

carry on then posted:

It is. Do you have an account set up in Mail.app?

Yes, two. I use Sparrow (which works in Safari's Share), but I loaded up the accounts since I figured I had to.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Sockser posted:

Since I upgraded to Safari 6, when I click a 'go to new post' button on the forums, it scrolls to about 5-6 posts before that. Is this a safari issue or something that needs to be added to the forums code?

I pointed this out the day Safari was released... It is because Safari loads the textual potion of the page, jumps to the anchor where the new post is, and then loads images which make the page longer without making sure the spot you're at stays in view. This was how Safari 3 and earlier (iirc) used to behave, and it was annoying as gently caress. I was so happy when they finally fixed it.

Now it's back :(.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Speaking of Safari6 annoyances, how about how the blue loading bar "finishes" itself when the HTML is done, not when all the images have loaded as it did in v5? Any way to fix that, too?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hey, is there some reason that Apple loving charged me twice when I bought Mountain Lion tonight?

taupoke
Apr 26, 2008

by T. Finninho
In Mountain Lion I've got an issue with outgoing mail using Apple Mail. The only way I can get mail to send is to strip out all attachments. Any advice would be appreciated.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

TheJoker138 posted:

Hey, is there some reason that Apple loving charged me twice when I bought Mountain Lion tonight?

I don't know why this isn't obvious, but contact customer support and I'm sure you can get a refund.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.
Ok, heres one - I have a Mid-2012 (new) Macbook Air on 10.8. I enabled FileVault and now my login preferences are just not taking. I had a username and password prompt before now its the list of users. No checking or unchecking will turn it back. Is there a plist file I can nuke so this stuff takes? I already tried repairing permissions with no luck.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

TheJoker138 posted:

It is how they keep their profits high.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Belldandy posted:

Ok, heres one - I have a Mid-2012 (new) Macbook Air on 10.8. I enabled FileVault and now my login preferences are just not taking. I had a username and password prompt before now its the list of users. No checking or unchecking will turn it back. Is there a plist file I can nuke so this stuff takes? I already tried repairing permissions with no luck.

When you enable FileVault, you are presented with the list of users who can unlock the device. This is the FileVault preboot screen, not the login window. I don't know if there is a way to change it.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Shin-chan posted:

When you enable FileVault, you are presented with the list of users who can unlock the device. This is the FileVault preboot screen, not the login window. I don't know if there is a way to change it.

That actually makes total sense. Thanks!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Umm, did something change with Safari so that the address/search bar only shows the base website address until you click on it? Like right now if I glance up it just says "forums.somethingawful.com" and when I click on it then it shows the full address. It's a bit different and annoying.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

It shows the forums.somethingawful.com in black text, and the rest is in grey. Maybe you just have trouble seeing grey text on a white background?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

— ML's Notifications suck[/list]

They do? I'm enjoying them... one of my favourite features of ML, and a really nice inclusion to OS X generally.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I mostly forgot they even exist, to be quite honest. It would be neat if the little notification icon lit up when there was something to see, though.

I'm still on 10.7 here in the office and to be frank I'm not really sure I'll go through the trouble of upgrading until Apple actually make stuff stop working with Lion. 10.8 is really nice and all, but as a daily driver I'm not noticing any of the new features.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Lexicon posted:

They do? I'm enjoying them... one of my favourite features of ML, and a really nice inclusion to OS X generally.

Agreed. The only problem is that not enough third-party apps use them. I'm sure that will work itself out over time though.

I'm using Hiss to put all my Growl notifications into Notification Center right now. It's not perfect, but I think it's acceptable as a temporary solution.

Martytoof posted:

I mostly forgot they even exist, to be quite honest. It would be neat if the little notification icon lit up when there was something to see, though.

This would be nice.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

EDIT: Quote !== Edit

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Martytoof posted:

I'm still on 10.7 here in the office and to be frank I'm not really sure I'll go through the trouble of upgrading until Apple actually make stuff stop working with Lion. 10.8 is really nice and all, but as a daily driver I'm not noticing any of the new features.

Yeah I haven't bothered upgrading either. It's got what, notifications? The airplay stuff seems cool if you have an apple tv, which I don't.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
You are all forgetting that an option exists to return Expose to its unmolested form. That sole feature was reason enough for me to upgrade!

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
When I click the "Applications" folder on my Dock in 10.8/Mountain Lion (or any dock folder), the mouse wheel scrolling seems all off.

It use to be quicker, with a little bit of over-shoot. It would scroll the page 1 row of icons at a time.

With 10.8, it scrolls very slowly.

How can I get the Dock folders to scroll like they did in previous versions of Mac OS X??

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Is there a way to get Hiss to stop opening its about window / preference pane whenever I log in?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Xenomorph posted:

When I click the "Applications" folder on my Dock in 10.8/Mountain Lion (or any dock folder), the mouse wheel scrolling seems all off.

It use to be quicker, with a little bit of over-shoot. It would scroll the page 1 row of icons at a time.

With 10.8, it scrolls very slowly.

How can I get the Dock folders to scroll like they did in previous versions of Mac OS X??

This was one of the first things I noticed after upgrading. Flick the mouse wheel and it barely moves!

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

decypher posted:

This was one of the first things I noticed after upgrading. Flick the mouse wheel and it barely moves!

It seems to scroll like a web page now, barely 1 small line at a time. I logged into a 10.6 system, and each scroll was more like a Page-down.

Before 10.8:
Quick flick to shoot down the list, click my app.

10.8:
I find myself flicking half a dozen times while the jerky Applications window scrolls down. It seriously takes 6+ scrolls to get the same spot 1 or 2 did with previous versions.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Xenomorph posted:

It seems to scroll like a web page now, barely 1 small line at a time. I logged into a 10.6 system, and each scroll was more like a Page-down.

Before 10.8:
Quick flick to shoot down the list, click my app.

10.8:
I find myself flicking half a dozen times while the jerky Applications window scrolls down. It seriously takes 6+ scrolls to get the same spot 1 or 2 did with previous versions.

I hate to say this, but.. have you tried Launchpad out lately? I mean, at least it's faster scrolling for me.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

For those of you in the enterprise world trying to get Macs to play nicely with Windows file servers (especially DFS shares on Active Directory), I've been playing with the dev build of 10.8.1 at work and whatever they've done has made it super fast to connect again like it was in earlier versions of Snow Leopard.

Pathing through folders inside network mounts is pretty much instant now and DFS targets resolve pretty much straight away. If you're using the FQDN of your server to connect it'll mount in under a second but if you're relying on DNS suffixes it takes a little longer.

The only thing it still doesn't do properly is set the AD search paths in Directory Utility but that's really a minor annoyance since you can manually do it through a script when you bind to AD.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Somewhere in the last 250 pages or so I remember reading a recommendation from someone about a mac network management client. Something you could use to take care of and maintain a giant network of macs including doing remote software installation stuff, etc.

Does that spring anything to anyone's mind?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Umm, did something change with Safari so that the address/search bar only shows the base website address until you click on it?

Bug. It should resume working normally (full path is gray rather than invisible) if you relaunch Safari.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

EnsGDT posted:

Somewhere in the last 250 pages or so I remember reading a recommendation from someone about a mac network management client. Something you could use to take care of and maintain a giant network of macs including doing remote software installation stuff, etc.

All I can think of is Apple Remote Desktop, or "net restore" and "deploy studio" vaguely come to mind.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Martytoof posted:

In the earlier DP releases, the icon was a (somewhat ambiguous) dot inside a circle, and the dot became blue when there were unseen notifications, so the code is probably already in place and it just needs an icon change.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

EnsGDT posted:

The big one is JAMF's Casper Suite.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Arivia posted:

The big one is JAMF's Casper Suite.

That one looks really familiar, thank you!

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Since upgrading to ML, my mid-2009 iMac is behaving differently WRT sleep/standby.

It used to wifi-sync all my iDevices when I plugged then in at night, regardless of when I last touched the computer. Now I have to walk to the machine to wake it up. WTF? Anyone know how to get this back the way it was?

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Mercurius posted:

For those of you in the enterprise world trying to get Macs to play nicely with Windows file servers (especially DFS shares on Active Directory), I've been playing with the dev build of 10.8.1 at work and whatever they've done has made it super fast to connect again like it was in earlier versions of Snow Leopard.

Pathing through folders inside network mounts is pretty much instant now and DFS targets resolve pretty much straight away. If you're using the FQDN of your server to connect it'll mount in under a second but if you're relying on DNS suffixes it takes a little longer.

The only thing it still doesn't do properly is set the AD search paths in Directory Utility but that's really a minor annoyance since you can manually do it through a script when you bind to AD.
I've not been able to get DFS paths to work on 10.7 -- do I need to be Domain joined to access them? Even with FQDN, it doesn't seem to work. (I'm a web guy, so I'm not sure how DFS works, specifically)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

dexter6 posted:

Since upgrading to ML, my mid-2009 iMac is behaving differently WRT sleep/standby.

It used to wifi-sync all my iDevices when I plugged then in at night, regardless of when I last touched the computer. Now I have to walk to the machine to wake it up. WTF? Anyone know how to get this back the way it was?
Open Energy Saver in System Preferences. Check "Wake for network access" if it's unchecked.