Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Kurtofan posted:

Wallace and Gromit is on tv here (France) like every Christmas season. British television like Wallace and Gromit or Mr Bean is a thing that gets aired every Christmas here and I have no idea why.

It might be because kids are on vacation or something.

Well Mr Bean probably needs very little in the way of translation, isn't there only about 5 words in the whole show? Also both those are probably cheap as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Mr. Bean is by far the worst thing the British people have ever done to our French brothers. And that includes the Hundred Years' War.

I am so sorry.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have no hate for Bean. Rowan Atkinson is pretty much always great at everything he puts his hands to, and I'd rather sit through 30 minutes of that than whatever archaic nonsense in 2014 clothing UK comedy has to offer this year. Which I'm guessing is probably a Mrs Brown's Boys Xmas Special where they all gently caress off to another country for an hour of the most tedious poo poo ever conceived.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Mr. Bean is neat. I assume Wallace and Gromit gets aired at Christmas because it's all homely and charming and such.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Kurtofan posted:

Wallace and Gromit is on tv here (France) like every Christmas season. British television like Wallace and Gromit or Mr Bean is a thing that gets aired every Christmas here and I have no idea why.

It might have something to do with mainland Europe's Santa Claus being a crazed child murderer and England's Santa being a jolly fat man who gives kids presents.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Irish Joe posted:

It might have something to do with mainland Europe's Santa Claus being a crazed child murderer and England's Santa being a jolly fat man who gives kids presents.

Well they had Thatcher to cover the crazed child murdering.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

Mister Bates posted:

There's actually a second twist near the end which partially undoes the first twist - the experiment actually was a spaceflight program all along, the eugenics program was basically intended to breed a Guild Navigator, and the series ends with their first successful subject having accidentally teleported a member of the crew to an alien planet.

Really, that last episode pissed me off so much. You've got the only sympathetic character from the outside-world segments getting absolutely and definitely killed off (shot in the loving face on-screen, holy poo poo), the experiment remaining pretty securely covered up, the creepy megalomaniac who runs the project maintaining his control over it, his Nazi father's eugenics experiments getting vindicated, everyone in the ship remaining trapped in the ship, a little girl with magic powers people literally call 'The Starchild', and absolutely zero resolution of any of the show's plot threads. It ended on a loving cliffhanger, for Christ's sake. It wasn't even an 'and now the adventure continues!' thing, it was an actual, honest-to-God cliffhanger.

But at least they are actually going to space for real now. Still would have been better without the Earth bits, though.

Actually the last episode saved it for me. I cheered when the dumb outsiders were whacked.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Bown posted:

Yeah Mr. Bean is neat. I assume Wallace and Gromit gets aired at Christmas because it's all homely and charming and such.

Yeah I'm going to go with that :3:

It's not a translation thing since everything gets translated anyway.

Irish Joe posted:

French Santa is also a jolly fat man, it's his evil counterpart Pere Fouettard that does the whipping.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

EL BROMANCE posted:

I have no hate for Bean. Rowan Atkinson is pretty much always great at everything he puts his hands to, and I'd rather sit through 30 minutes of that than whatever archaic nonsense in 2014 clothing UK comedy has to offer this year.

Yes, I'd watch Blackadder's Christmas Carol most Christmases.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Metal Loaf posted:

Yes, I'd watch Blackadder's Christmas Carol most Christmases.

Blackadder Christmas Carol is the best Christmas special.

I'm going to watch it tonight now.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sbaldrick posted:

Blackadder Christmas Carol is the best Christmas special.

I'm going to watch it tonight now.

"Strip away the outer layers of a fat git, and inside you'll probably find..."

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bown posted:

do people call u homely so much u assume its a compliment

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I think he meant "homey."

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
"Homely" has a different connotation in the UK than how we use it.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

hcreight posted:

"Homely" has a different connotation in the UK than how we use it.

quote:

1. (dated) Lacking in beauty or elegance, plain in appearance, physically unattractive.
2. (archaic) Characteristic of or belonging to home; domestic. [from early 14th c.]
3. (UK dialectal) On intimate or friendly terms with (someone); familiar; at home (with a person); intimate.
4. (UK dialectal, of animals) Domestic; tame.
5. (UK dialectal) Personal; private.
6. (UK dialectal) Friendly; kind; gracious; cordial.
7. (archaic) Simple; plain; familiar; unelaborate; unadorned. [from late 14th c.]

That's actually kind of interesting.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not on purpose, it's just how they all look.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Sensing a lot of Brit hate on SA lately :(

I remember when Christmas TV was actually good.

Morecambe & Wise, Two Ronnies, Noel's House Party and Generation Game all had big shows at Christmas. Great family fun.

Now it's Citizen Khan, Mrs Brown's Boyz and loving bread shows.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It's because of our violent subjugation of the glorious Scotch War for Revolution of Independence.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The reason I hate the British today is because I saw a Guardian article in my newsfeed about that Glasgow garbage truck accident and it called the truck a 'bin lorry'.

Take the whole place down, that's ridiculous.

WastedJoker posted:

Sensing a lot of Brit hate on SA lately :(

I remember when Christmas TV was actually good.

Morecambe & Wise, Two Ronnies, Noel's House Party and Generation Game all had big shows at Christmas. Great family fun.

Okay those aren't real things, stop making stuff up.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't think anybody hates Britain so much that, after years of the British trying to high road us, it turns out they're all as dumb, fat and trashy as we are.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
They're as real as it gets!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7GeKLE0x3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaGpaj2nHIo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-GpDYafC6M

How can you hate a nation producing such gold?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm not much for The Two Ronnies, but the Four Candles sketch is a genuine classic. Noel Edmunds can gently caress right off though. Odious, demented UKIPpy twat.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 22, 2014

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
My only experience with British Christmas specials outside of Doctor Who was when I caught the tail end of an Eastenders special.

How do you people not kill yourselves?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Here in America we just watch the same Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph, and Charlie Brown specials every year for the last 50 years and enjoy it dammit.

(Rudolph #1)

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > TV IV Couch Chat: Merry Christmas, gently caress You England

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Fateo McMurray posted:

Here in America we just watch the same Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph, and Charlie Brown specials every year for the last 50 years and enjoy it dammit.

Its the one time of year kids understand my Jimmy Durante impression.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Speaking of Christmas specials I'm having trouble finding any TV listings for the version of A Christmas Carol starring Jimmy McNulty and his uncle Patrick Stewart and it's making me sad.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The saddest thing about Christmas television are those programs with celebrities "celebrating" the new year when the thing is filmed in October or somesuch.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

In the midst of my Christmas holiday binge, just want to say Transparent is the tits (made by estrogen pills). So human, such quick, amazing moments. Like a less manipulative Six Feet Under.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kurtofan posted:

The saddest thing about Christmas television are those programs with celebrities "celebrating" the new year when the thing is filmed in October or somesuch.

I remember it was even in the papers when it came out that Jools Holland's annual hootenanny was filmed around September.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Irish Joe posted:

:golfclap:

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Shageletic posted:

In the midst of my Christmas holiday binge, just want to say Transparent is the tits (made by estrogen pills). So human, such quick, amazing moments. Like a less manipulative Six Feet Under.

One of the things that bugged me about Transparent (which I loved overall) was that they ripped the "character who struggles to maintain relationships partially because he was statutory raped as a teen" storyline straight out of SFU's playbook.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WastedJoker posted:

The limits of my exposure to each of these things are:

1) I sometimes see the last two minutes of Citizen Khan while I'm waiting for HIGNFY to start. It does not look especially good.

2) I sometimes see adverts for the Mrs Brown's Boys movie on Ulsterbuses when I'm driving into Belfast. It does not look especially good.

3) Because the "victim" of the "bincident" / "Baked Alaskagate" (I'm assuming you're talking about The Great British Bake-Off) was from Northern Ireland, the Belfast Telegraph seemed to be running front page features on the great injustice done to him every other day for about a month after it happened, stopping just short of demanding the immediate resignation and suicide of the entire production staff even after everyone pointed out it had been recorded months before it went to air. This is about par for course for Our Wee CountryTM.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 22, 2014

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Irish Joe posted:

I'm sure they understand your Jimmy Savile impression whatever time of the year.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

hcreight posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > TV IV Couch Chat: Merry Christmas, gently caress You England

Sure. Why not?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

As a Welsh, I wholeheartedly back this statement ;)

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Metal Loaf posted:

2) I sometimes see adverts for the Mrs Brown's Boys movie on Ulsterbuses when I'm driving into Belfast. It does not look especially good.

Mrs Browns Boys gave us this amazing article and is indirectly responsible for Current Releases shutting down so it does have that going for it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Deadpool posted:

Sure. Why not?

Without England you wouldn't have Doctor Who, Game of Thrones, Misfits, Rome, Spaced, Orphan Black, Black Mirror, State of Play, Sherlock, Downton Abbey, Jimmy McNulty, Captain Picard, House, Nick Brody, Stringer Bell, Al Swearengen, Bilbo Baggins and Desmond from Lost.

Your move, America :colbert::britain::colbert:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Rarity posted:

Without England you wouldn't have Doctor Who, Game of Thrones, Misfits, Rome, Spaced, Orphan Black, Black Mirror, State of Play, Sherlock, Downton Abbey, Jimmy McNulty, Captain Picard, House, Nick Brody, Stringer Bell, Al Swearengen, Bilbo Baggins and Desmond from Lost. America

I'm American, but just saying. We're kind of your fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
If not having those, meant not having Simon Cowell, One Direction, Piers Morgan, Madonna's fake accent, and the Royal family I would call it a fair exchange.,

• Locked thread