Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

DaveWoo posted:

Considering that you had 15 students trapped inside a school for an extended period of time without any authorities coming to rescue them, it's a fair bet that something happened to the outside world.

There is the machine gun fire that Hagakure heard back then too. Even if Monoworld didn't happen, Junko's group has to be at least as powerful as the terrorist groups in this world to hold on to a fortress for almost a month.

And then there is the constant supply of fresh food and such as well, which suggests the Junko's game is a well-organized effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sporkaganza
Feb 19, 2013

I'm bakayuya tomgami

Tea Bee posted:

Actually, the word 'Kira' is just how Japan pronounces the English word 'Killer'. So, there's a chance it's a Death Note reference, but I'm going to guess it's just supposed to be 'Killerkiller'.

The "warrior of justice" thing points more to a Death Note reference, though.

Plus, I'm pretty sure you're severely underestimating the popularity of Death Note here. If it's an otaku-aimed game like this, the possibility that it ISN'T one is honestly pretty drat slim.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Jeek posted:

There is the machine gun fire that Hagakure heard back then too. Even if Monoworld didn't happen, Junko's group has to be at least as powerful as the terrorist groups in this world to hold on to a fortress for almost a month.

And then there is the constant supply of fresh food and such as well, which suggests the Junko's game is a well-organized effort.

If nothing happened in the outside then wouldn't be any reason why the headmaster even decided to lock himself and 16 other students in the school.
The game brings up many times that something happened outside.....it must have been a pretty big thing for the students to have agreed to stay locked up probably forever.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Apollo Justice posted:

People keep talking about things like cryostasis and weathering the monopocalypse, but are we even sure that was real? The first game ended with them leaving Hope's Peak, and we never actually saw what the outside world was like. We still don't know if that was a bluff or the truth, unless some detail in another work has come out that I am not aware of.

The characters in-game in DR1 assumed it was a bluff at first. The final nail in the "Monoworld might be fake"-theory's coffin was Syo: she was a disinterested third party who'd recognize whether Monoworld was real. She said it was, and that it really was the reason the kids had been locked up for so long, though she doesn't know any details. Plus everything the people above me mentioned. We're about as Occam's Razor'd into assuming it's real as is possible.

Cryostasis might explain some things, though I'm wondering how it could be connected to Hinata's the weird computerized awakening at the beginning of the game. I guess it could be him experiencing the effects of being revived, but it's quite a weird effect for that. I'm really waiting on what Nanami has to say about the Hope's-Peak-Forest-Temple to judge.

ArcadeBumstead
Apr 3, 2008

Saccharomyces cerevisiae is a species of yeast. It is perhaps the most useful yeast, having been instrumental to winemaking, baking and brewing since ancient times. It is believed that it was originally isolated from the skin of grapes (one can see the yeast as a component of the thin white film on

Fedule posted:

A bronze statue representing the island is put in the top floor.

It's interesting that the administration building is either gone, or they built it underground.

Sporkaganza posted:

The "warrior of justice" thing points more to a Death Note reference, though.

Plus, I'm pretty sure you're severely underestimating the popularity of Death Note here. If it's an otaku-aimed game like this, the possibility that it ISN'T one is honestly pretty drat slim.

Death Note is really played out in Japan. It's also not the first manga to feature a killer named Kira. Hero of justice is a generic phrase that's probably translated better as "super hero". Pekoyama's reaction when she overheard someone talking about serial killers has me suspicious. I wonder if her straight laced attitude is a cover for a hobby as a masked vigilante.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

ArcadeBumstead posted:

Pekoyama's reaction when she overheard someone talking about serial killers has me suspicious. I wonder if her straight laced attitude is a cover for a hobby as a masked vigilante.

I don't know if anyone else has suggested this, but I'm actually wondering if Peko Pekoyama isn't secretly Kira Kirayama. Her reaction definitely seemed a little off, she certainly would have the skills to murder the gently caress out whoever she wanted, and she even already has a repeating name! That's at least going to be my personal theory until proven incorrect.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

ArcadeBumstead posted:

It's interesting that the administration building is either gone, or they built it underground.

Death Note is really played out in Japan. It's also not the first manga to feature a killer named Kira. Hero of justice is a generic phrase that's probably translated better as "super hero". Pekoyama's reaction when she overheard someone talking about serial killers has me suspicious. I wonder if her straight laced attitude is a cover for a hobby as a masked vigilante.

I could get behind Pekoyama being Dexter.

I thought the Monomi thing was just a winking joke, I didn't think it'd be a real game mode (mostly because I forgot about there even being hidden options on the main menu). That was... really garbage-looking, but props for the effort I suppose.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I don't know if anyone else has suggested this, but I'm actually wondering if Peko Pekoyama isn't secretly Kira Kirayama. Her reaction definitely seemed a little off, she certainly would have the skills to murder the gently caress out whoever she wanted, and she even already has a repeating name! That's at least going to be my personal theory until proven incorrect.

Sounds plausible enough. I'm leaning toward Souda myself, partly for the shark grin but mainly because the irony is kind of hilarious.

I'm also just a tiny bit suspicious of Koizumi. She's too normal.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Alien Arcana posted:

Sounds plausible enough. I'm leaning toward Souda myself, partly for the shark grin but mainly because the irony is kind of hilarious.

I'm also just a tiny bit suspicious of Koizumi. She's too normal.

Souda seems too obvious because of that shark grin. Koizumi could go either way, I guess. I think with Peko part of the spin on it comes from her looking like the same kind of Noble Warrior archetype that Sakura was only to then turn out to be a serial killer. Especially if she's all "hero of justice" about it.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I definitely had that thought during the update, but at this stage I could see this going in literally any direction so I'm going to wait and see before calling anything. If one of the students is Kiraman, Peko seems the most likely candidate, but the game could just as easily pull this in a completely different direction.

Deceptive
Dec 27, 2012

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I can't seem to find it but didn't Pekoyama say that she'd stop Kuzuryuu from killing anyone with the implied threat of killing him herself. Connection or coincidence?

I really hope they don't have a serial killer in the cast again. I'm sure they could pull it off well but I'd rather they pull off something new well. Besides, we already have Nagito to be this games Syo while also not being a retread of her. Nagito's nothing like Fuwaka/Syo but still manages to fill that crazy person who is a killer but doesn't commit murders so they stick around role.

ittoki
Feb 21, 2013
Nagito may not be the most sane people around but I can't really see him as a murderer or even a serial murderer? I think what's wrong is something in his mind/concept. He keeps talking about how he loves hope and how despair can bring hope though he also implies murder should be done to make that hope shines brighter. And I think if the mole in the group is Nagito, he probably won't do such crazy things which would clearly announce himself as the one who side with the bad guys. Well, that's a piece of thought I have about him. I hope we will see his free time events too.

In the other hand, that building looks really interesting. I hope we will be able to investigate it soon.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Tea Bee posted:

Actually, the word 'Kira' is just how Japan pronounces the English word 'Killer'. So, there's a chance it's a Death Note reference, but I'm going to guess it's just supposed to be 'Killerkiller'.

Well, its not like one of the characters just recently stated to everyone their absolute hatred of killers, how they deserve nothing but death, or celebrates when they die.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Wait a minute. A serial killer who wears hero masks and calls himself a warrior of justice and kills off criminals? Do we know anybody that over the top?

Yes, yes we do.

In other news, I'm not sure why folks are assuming that the ruins are the real, original DR1 Hope's Peak given that we just had a big ol' discussion with Sonia about how the whole island might be artificial. Sure, it's not guaranteed that it's not Hope's Peak, but it isn't guaranteed that it is, either. Right now, in the absence of further evidence, it's just an interesting coincidence.

Falls Down Stairs posted:

The characters in-game in DR1 assumed it was a bluff at first. The final nail in the "Monoworld might be fake"-theory's coffin was Syo: she was a disinterested third party who'd recognize whether Monoworld was real. She said it was, and that it really was the reason the kids had been locked up for so long, though she doesn't know any details. Plus everything the people above me mentioned. We're about as Occam's Razor'd into assuming it's real as is possible.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Syo said that "Yep, these events happened after the Despair-Inducing Event"? That is, "Yeah, there was rioting and temporary insanity but, this is the key point, I don't know if it's still on-going or if it just lasted for a few days/weeks/months"? Which means there may or may not have been a Monoworld and a functioning society outside the doors when they left.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Tomn posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Syo said that "Yep, these events happened after the Despair-Inducing Event"? That is, "Yeah, there was rioting and temporary insanity but, this is the key point, I don't know if it's still on-going or if it just lasted for a few days/weeks/months"? Which means there may or may not have been a Monoworld and a functioning society outside the doors when they left.

Syo confirmed Monoworld existed didn't know any details, so strictly speaking we can't rule out the possibility things somehow got better one year out after the incident. But however bad the incident was, the entire cast of DR1 felt that locking themselves away forever was the appropriate response.

I mean, I've made the point that we don't actually know how bad Monoworld was myself, but we do know there is or was a Monoworld and it wasn't a total lie like the guy I was responding to suggested.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Tomn posted:

Wait a minute. A serial killer who wears hero masks and calls himself a warrior of justice and kills off criminals? Do we know anybody that over the top?

Yes, yes we do.

Hah, that would be entertaining enough to make the ridiculous scenario of yet another serial killer worthwhile. But unfortunately I just can't imagine Gundam going by any name that ends in -chan.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

Bifauxnen posted:

Hah, that would be entertaining enough to make the ridiculous scenario of yet another serial killer worthwhile. But unfortunately I just can't imagine Gundam going by any name that ends in -chan.
Or acting like a hero, with his super-villain persona and all.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

SingerOfW posted:

Or acting like a hero, with his super-villain persona and all.

In other words, the perfect cover. No one would suspect the true identity of a vigilante hero to be a guy who acts like the bastard offspring of Invader Zim, Doctor Doom and the Brain.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Well, that settles it. Gundam is Kirakira, and I will fight anyone who says different. :colbert:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Tea Bee posted:

Just on that topic, 殺人者, or satsujinsha is someone who killed a person/people. :eng101:

There's another word that's equivilent for killer in the "hired killer" sense that I'm not familiar with, too.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

Tomn posted:

Well, that settles it. Gundam is Kirakira, and I will fight anyone who says different. :colbert:

Well, I think Peko is still more likely, given how she acted to the serial killer conversation. Or maybe it's Mikan. Who would suspect the clumsy nurse after all.

thrips
Apr 27, 2013
I'm just hoping Kirakira is none of the students, only because DR1 did it already with Syo and I think I'll be disappointed if DR2 recycles the same twist, no matter how well it's done.

I guess it might be fun if DR2 actually did the complete contrary of DR1 by having a murderer trying to frame Kirakira while they're not even in the cast... But yeah I hope it just stays a red herring.

Sporkaganza
Feb 19, 2013

I'm bakayuya tomgami

thrips posted:

I'm just hoping Kirakira is none of the students, only because DR1 did it already with Syo and I think I'll be disappointed if DR2 recycles the same twist, no matter how well it's done.

I guess it might be fun if DR2 actually did the complete contrary of DR1 by having a murderer trying to frame Kirakira while they're not even in the cast... But yeah I hope it just stays a red herring.

I like the idea of trying to frame someone as Kirakira and then have it turn out that nope, no serial killers here. That would be a much more interesting payoff than just "Oh look, it's ANOTHER serial killer, just like the first time we did that."

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I wouldn't mind them having Kirakira be one of the students this time around if they use a different tone to the whole scenario. Genocider Syo was basically a wacky comic relief character. It'd be interesting to see one of them like Peko revealed as the serial killer, but without any change in their personality or anything.

Coco Bear
Feb 16, 2011

I wonder if both games actually take place at the same time. It's possible the school is just in ruins on the outside, and it looks like the valve door is closed, so maybe the kids from the first game are still inside. The machinegun fire they heard may have been from when the monobeast killed Usami.
I mean, probably not, especially considering Togami is part of both groups, but I figured I might as well bring it up.

thrips
Apr 27, 2013

W.T. Fits posted:

I wouldn't mind them having Kirakira be one of the students this time around if they use a different tone to the whole scenario. Genocider Syo was basically a wacky comic relief character. It'd be interesting to see one of them like Peko revealed as the serial killer, but without any change in their personality or anything.

Yeah we already have our daily dose of crazy personality with Komaeda this time around...

Assuming Kuzuryuu was 100% serious when he said he would not hesitate to kill another student to get out, we might already have a level-headed killer in the cast, someone who killed before but for different reasons. I find this possibility much more interesting than "just" another serial killer, even with a different personality than Syo. (I also find it pretty unlikely because he was probably trying to act tough, but who knows.)

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Ettin posted:

I definitely did not expect to see Sonia asking people to check their not-a-serial-killer privilege right after Nagito outed himself as a lunatic. This is going to go places. :magical:

I am going to guess that Kirakira-chan will be relevant on the grounds that it sounds like an amazing way to gently caress with DR1 players.

Yes, either it's a massive piece of misdirection, or Kirakira will be revealed over the course of the game. Now we'll be hunting for clues setting up the big reveal. If it happens, my bet is on Hinata being revealed as the serial killer who hunts down and kills criminals. It will have been what he's spent the whole game up to that point doing, after all, and it would account for his extreme memory-wipe, too. Alternately, the game will fake us and Hinata out into thinking that he's Kirakira for a while, then reveal he isn't. At any rate, if Hinata is SHSL Murder-batman, it would explain why there was no information about his talent on the message board Nagito read.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

RefinedUndefined posted:

Well, I think Peko is still more likely, given how she acted to the serial killer conversation.

She was weirded out because they were so cheerfully discussing serial killers. I don't know if I had acted elsewise myself.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

tiistai posted:

She was weirded out because they were so cheerfully discussing serial killers. I don't know if I had acted elsewise myself.

It's the timing that I find suspicious, not the reaction itself. She didn't seem that far away from them, so she should have heard quite a bit of the conversation, yet she only interrupted when Kirakira was mentioned. It could be nothing, but then again it might not.

Bonfiesta
Sep 4, 2012

Narsham posted:

Yes, either it's a massive piece of misdirection, or Kirakira will be revealed over the course of the game.
I can easily see one of the murderers drawing inspiration from Kirakira and disguising themself with a hero mask in a copycat-killing. Doesn't necessarily have to be Kirakira himself.

WiLLiS7
Oct 20, 2012
I think it's funny how last game we had a serial killer who loved a powerful person, and this game we have a powerful person who loves serial killers.

Alto
Dec 27, 2012

Not A Saxophone
Kirakira? Who's that?

I would google it but I'm afraid of spoilers.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
Uhh, please don't google it, silly.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Alto posted:

Kirakira? Who's that?

The serial killer mentioned in the latest update. I know a lot of people don't read other people's posts before posting in this thread, but please don't tell me people aren't even reading the LP.

Alto
Dec 27, 2012

Not A Saxophone

Waffleman_ posted:

The serial killer mentioned in the latest update. I know a lot of people don't read other people's posts before posting in this thread, but please don't tell me people aren't even reading the LP.

Oh no, I know that.

Everyone was talking about it like I should know Kirakira from something else.

Edit: Nevermind. I really dont know how I misread those posts

Alto fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 5, 2013

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Waffleman_ posted:

What's an LP? I thought this was the baseless anime speculation thread.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Alto posted:

Kirakira? Who's that?

I would google it but I'm afraid of spoilers.
Protip: never google anything from this LP ever, you are at constant risk of endgame spoilers if you google even the most innocuous-seeming things.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Sonia is concerning in that since she's such a big fan of serial killers and specifically Kirakira, because if something happens where she believes Kirakira is in the cast, she might help them out in some way. It's not even necessary for Kirakira to actually be there as long as she thinks they are for some reason. Even though Sonia was sheltered, she seemed like one of the most level-headed characters until now, but now I'm not so sure. It's a nice twist. Hinata's right: a princess obsessing over serial killers is just too much. I've got to hand it to Hinata for being sensible. Not that I dislike Naegi's style, but Hinata is doing a great job so far as the viewpoint character. Anyway, aside from maybe Monobear and Monomi, the only people who heard Sonia saying that were Hinata and Peko. I don't expect Hinata to go in for fake serial-killer shenanigans, but it's an option for Peko.

If they're all on an artificial island then having a replica of Hope's Peak there is not far-fetched. I guess we've just got to go in for suspension of disbelief about how much money the island's creators had on hand. It's not as if DR1 didn't require some of that too, but a whole probably artificial island with potential replicas and definite Monobeasts and all that is pushing things up a notch. Hope's Peak might have been able to create something like the island. Who else could have financed a thing like this? I think I remember Togami listing three extremely rich groups linked to the school whom he thought might be behind the situation, those being the Togami group, Kuzuryuu's group, and Novoselic (Sonia's country). Monobear has implied that the island is an artificial one and it can only have been made by a certain "fearsome" "huge organization"...Maybe that implies that none of the three groups Togami suggested has enough resources for an island like this. But if it really was SHSL Despair behind it as Monobear seems to imply (though we know how tricky he is), then does that mean that Monomi is working for SHSL Despair? Because she did say that she was specifically the one who prepared the library for them, and that's not something that can be done at the drop of a hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

JT Jag posted:

Protip: never google anything from this LP ever, you are at constant risk of endgame spoilers if you google even the most innocuous-seeming things.

Yeah, this is a fantastic tip. I'd been ardently following it, since the first LP when one day I stupidly googled a DR2 character's name. Google's first recommended search was "[REDACTED] execution" :suicide:

• Locked thread