Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Klyith posted:

A lot of the really hosed parts of Impossible are dealing with low-level soldiers and the 4 man squad. When you get in lovely positions, you don't have special abilities or enough dudes to open good flanks. Once you get a OTS and a skilled crew, the battlescape has a lot more tactical opportunities.

I still think XCOM 2 should go with a default of ca 8 squadmembers and then ramp it up to 10-12, just to avoid the "extremes" that develops due to the low unit count combined with "deep" leveling currently in place which makes the Hard Start / Easy end even more pronounced than in the original games.

Here's hoping they get a bigger budget too, now that they've proven to the corporate overlords that FPS >=! Tactical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

poptart_fairy posted:

There's meant to be a Chrysallid on that mission? I got a Muton. :psyduck:

It depends on your difficulty. Muton is for classic and impossible, IIRC.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
I couldn't hold out any longer. I started up a campaign to warm up for the release of Enemy Within. drat this is a good game. I still get a feeling of internal seriousness and excitement every time I set up my squad for a deployment. Very few games have made me feel like my decisions matter the way XCOM has.

Can anyone tell me if there is some reliable news of Slingshot going on sale when EW gets released? I just want the uniforms and paying the full price for the DLC still irks me from that perspective.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Brainamp posted:

It depends on your difficulty. Muton is for classic and impossible, IIRC.

I've never seen a muton on the first slingshot mission on classic. The train mission always has them though.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Deuce posted:

I've never seen a muton on the first slingshot mission on classic. The train mission always has them though.
Lots of thin men and a chrysallid is what I remember from Slingshot's first mission.

Speaking of slingshot run+gun into the controls at the front of the train is broken and won't trigger you being in that area.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Deuce posted:

Same for me.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Deuce posted:

Then it's an impossible thing only.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Brainamp posted:

The unit changes based on when you take the mission. If you hold off for a while it will be a muton instead. I've played on normal and got a muton to drop before just because I held off for a month.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Brainamp posted:

No, if you postpone the first slingshot mission for even a single month, you get a muton.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I think I got a chryssalid on classic but I confess I don't fully remember. The first slingshot mission is nice in the first month on classic/impossible because frankly it is way easier than a bomb mission.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
I never postpone and I've gotten mutons on the train mission. In fact they are usually the first mutons I ever encounter.

This is on normal.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

SBJ posted:

I never postpone and I've gotten mutons on the train mission. In fact they are usually the first mutons I ever encounter.

This is on normal.
Mutons are always on the train mission. A muton will be on the Zhang extraction mission of you delay it, but its normally a Crysallid.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Ravenfood posted:

Mutons are always on the train mission. A muton will be on the Zhang extraction mission of you delay it, but its normally a Crysallid.

Yeah I guess I've never delayed the first part. Getting the extra lone muton on a non-timed mission could actually be pretty useful if you have the arc thrower already. Early plasma research credit.

Another thing I've considered trying: if you fail the train mission, you get as many attempts as you want, right? You could use an arc thrower to farm mutons for plasma rifles right off the bat :D

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
When abouts does the second Slingshot mission hit anyway? First one went really smoothly for me - no injuries, promotions all around - but this being Marathon I'm not going to have lasers ready for the Muton swarms. I have a feeling my success isn't going to be repeated.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

When abouts does the second Slingshot mission hit anyway? First one went really smoothly for me - no injuries, promotions all around - but this being Marathon I'm not going to have lasers ready for the Muton swarms. I have a feeling my success isn't going to be repeated.
Slingshot on Marathon? You better postpone the second mission :ohdearsass:

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

zylche posted:

Slingshot on Marathon? You better postpone the second mission :ohdearsass:

Yeah, as much as I like Marathon Slingshot just isn't balanced for it. I always hold off until I've got a good team of 6 with lasers.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

HaitianDivorce posted:

Yeah, as much as I like Marathon Slingshot just isn't balanced for it. I always hold off until I've got a good team of 6 with lasers.

Get a team of six, but don't trigger a single node until you have a man at each one. The Mutons always drop in on overwatch, so if you activate them all on the same turn and then start the train they shouldn't have the opportunity to hurt your team.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Cheese it is then. :v:

How do I delay the mission without annoying the Council anyway? Doesn't the 'Not Now' option only postpone stuff for a couple of days before they get grumpy with me?

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

poptart_fairy posted:

Cheese it is then. :v:

How do I delay the mission without annoying the Council anyway? Doesn't the 'Not Now' option only postpone stuff for a couple of days before they get grumpy with me?

There's no penalty for postponing the mission.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Some doors should not be opened and once some things are seen, they cannot be unseen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACC3BuB7nNc

drat you.

drat you to hell.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Ugh. Got another abductor landing mission after I demolished the alien base. Made it to the last room with little trouble - berserkers are easy if you can catch them in the open (or just near a colonel shotgun assault). I only bring four soldiers because I figure my two snipers won't be useful in close quarters against the Outsiders I'm expecting. Open the door and out pop THREE sectoid commanders. gently caress me. Took control of my assault and my combat support, killed my backup heavy and medic support. Both captains. God drat it all.

At least my other badass assault got psi powers, though I'm guessing that assault is one of the less useful classes to get psi on.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Tequila Ranger posted:

drat you.

drat you to hell.

For one minute, for one beautiful, beautiful minute, I though the ponies were going to replace the Mutons and be the ones gunned down by the X-COM team. How very wrong I was :smith:

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Darth Windu posted:

At least my other badass assault got psi powers, though I'm guessing that assault is one of the less useful classes to get psi on.

My assaults tend to sustain lots of will-sapping injuries so they don't become powerful psionics, but mind-fray is great for those hard-to-reach Thin Men.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Having Mindfray on your assaults is really nice because you can give them a shotgun and they can still contribute even when they can't get into effective shotgun range.

Supports are really the only class where Mindfray isn't a big benefit.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
My assault Maj. hit an uber muton with a double shot, then got panicked when it rushed her, took a reaction shot that killed it and then took another reaction shot that killed an off-screen muton. :xcom:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
That wasn't panic, that was berserk rage! :black101:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Klyith posted:

The whole rest of that Shacktac Arma crew makes some pretty awesome vids. I got totally sucked into them because of Ironman Impossible. CHkilroy is as funny as Beagle, and if you enjoy Dyslexi's more serious take you have videos for months. But it's not Xcom.

Yeah CHKillroy is awesome. They are doing such spergy things but Killroy completely goes by the seat of his pants. I can't remember the last time I saw a video of him where he didn't die horribly as a result.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

That wasn't panic, that was berserk rage! :black101:

That would be a kick-rear end gene mod.
Upon activation your guy gets bonus to Aim and Crit for one turn but you can't chose who he fires at.

EDIT:
Or just a passive one that gives a huge Will penalty but every time the guy panics, he shoots a random enemy with bonus to aim and crit.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Nov 3, 2013

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Eifert Posting posted:

Yeah CHKillroy is awesome. They are doing such spergy things but Killroy completely goes by the seat of his pants. I can't remember the last time I saw a video of him where he didn't die horribly as a result.

CHKilroy made the best Arma II video ever. Where he also dies horribly.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Spot the Rookie. :v:

Doing this never gets old. It feels so dickish, but so necessary.

e; This rookie is apparently a murder machine. :catstare:

e2; 14(!) kills in two missions. Earned the nickname "Nuke", holy loving poo poo hahahaha.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Nov 3, 2013

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

How did I completely miss the announcement of the XCom expansion pack :psyduck:

This is like one of my favorite games from last year and I had no idea this was coming out, much less in a week or so.

edit: Wait, the expac... doesn't actually move the story any, it's just additions to the existing game? That's kind of a bummer :( I thought the game sold well enough for them to fund a significant update?

victrix fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 3, 2013

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well yeah, it's a pretty significant update anyway dude? New enemy faction, new units, new secondary storyline, new maps, new troops, upgrades and tech tree additions, etc. Short of a full fledged sequel I'm not quite sure what we could get.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

poptart_fairy posted:

Well yeah, it's a pretty significant update anyway dude? New enemy faction, new units, new secondary storyline, new maps, new troops, upgrades and tech tree additions, etc. Short of a full fledged sequel I'm not quite sure what we could get.

All of this on iOS :smith:

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Jabor posted:

Having Mindfray on your assaults is really nice because you can give them a shotgun and they can still contribute even when they can't get into effective shotgun range.

Supports are really the only class where Mindfray isn't a big benefit.

Unfortunately, one is a very high aim rifle assault. It's pretty rare for her not to be able to reach something!

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

victrix posted:

How did I completely miss the announcement of the XCom expansion pack :psyduck:

This is like one of my favorite games from last year and I had no idea this was coming out, much less in a week or so.

edit: Wait, the expac... doesn't actually move the story any, it's just additions to the existing game? That's kind of a bummer :( I thought the game sold well enough for them to fund a significant update?

It's more like a Civilization type expansion that adds new features to the base game rather than a brand new campaign. I was pretty disappointed at first since the new XCOM isn't a sandboxy game like Civilization. You are still funneled through the same plot specific missions and research goals. According to Gupta, even the final mission will play out the same with the new alien types. I had hoped for a new campaign that more open and didn't go through the same story beats and have certain enemies appear at a pre-determined time.

However, they're adding more maps (farmhouse) and rebalancing the skill trees. These were some of the issues I had with the replay value of the base game. They've also have a lot of new Second Wave options planned.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Personally, I'd just like there to be more to the ending than a pretty lightshow and bad voice acting.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
EW mission at 08:30:00
http://www.twitch.tv/rev3games/b/475894897
seems like some kind of special mission, so spoilers: Zombie village + whale hive!

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Darkrenown posted:

seems like some kind of special mission, so spoilers: Zombie village + whale hive!

I watched that live, mistakes and all aside this mission looks terrifying and painful.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Sunning posted:

It's more like a Civilization type expansion that adds new features to the base game rather than a brand new campaign. I was pretty disappointed at first since the new XCOM isn't a sandboxy game like Civilization. You are still funneled through the same plot specific missions and research goals. According to Gupta, even the final mission will play out the same with the new alien types. I had hoped for a new campaign that more open and didn't go through the same story beats and have certain enemies appear at a pre-determined time.

However, they're adding more maps (farmhouse) and rebalancing the skill trees. These were some of the issues I had with the replay value of the base game. They've also have a lot of new Second Wave options planned.

It's sandboxy in the sense that you can choose how you want to progress through technology. You could do a satellite heavy start or go all out labs and research or do a quick cash focused run or rush armor, etc. While some are stronger starts than others they're all viable. The expansion seems to want to add more branches and help balance things so that you don't feel like rushing 5 sats in month 1 every time.

The campaign is just a framework to take you from one battle to the next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Darkrenown posted:

Have we seen the cloak gene mod in action before this? The fact that it cloaks and does the enemy sight check before the move makes it look a lot more useful to me than when I thought it did the check and the cloak at the destination.

• Locked thread