Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Taima posted:

So Best Buy is running another Buy 2 get 1 Free used 3DS games this week. The only rub is that the best games can be hard to find in stock (though they have a pretty good selection at the moment).

I will go ahead and share the secret information that Best Buy usually restocks their online 3DS stuff at around 2-4PM PST. If you refresh through that period you have a pretty good chance of picking up the rare used games like Monster Hunter 3, Fire Emblem, etc.

For instance, yesterday I got MH3, Theatrhythm and Kid Icarus for $50. The time before that, it was Harvest Moon, Mario Kart 7 and I think Etrian Odyssey IV.

Sweet deal but sometimes they don't come with the original case. But it seems like historically you have roughly 70% chance of getting the original case. YMMV.
Do they tend to put stickers all over the case like GameStop? That poo poo is the worst, and it doesn't help that they seem to use the messiest adhesive known to man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Thanks for the heads up on the Best Buy deal. Just snagged New Super Mario Bros 2, Mario Kart 7, and Dragon Quest IX for $44 and I can pick them up at my local store tomorrow. Not bad!

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Minidust posted:

Do they tend to put stickers all over the case like GameStop? That poo poo is the worst, and it doesn't help that they seem to use the messiest adhesive known to man.

Hmm, I don't recall much in the way of stickers, I'm not home to check for sure though.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Bottom Liner posted:

Thanks for the heads up on the Best Buy deal. Just snagged New Super Mario Bros 2, Mario Kart 7, and Dragon Quest IX for $44 and I can pick them up at my local store tomorrow. Not bad!

What's this deal?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Buy 2 get 1 free on preowned games.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pre-Owned-Refurbished/Pre-Owned-Games/pcmcat232900050017.c?id=pcmcat232900050017

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

That I couldn't find a third 3DS game I want to meet that great deal probably tells me I buy too many 3DS games. :negative:

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
So this is a sort of minor thing I noticed with PXZ (Which by the way I've gotten to chapter 14 now.), the case doesn't have that 3D Warning on the front of the box at all (I'm talking both the inner case and the box. Is this the same for the people who got the gimped Newegg version?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Is NSMB2 worth a buy if I haven't played any of the previous nsmb games? Seems like the main gripe is it's just a rehash but it would be all new for me.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

RMZXAnarchy posted:

So this is a sort of minor thing I noticed with PXZ (Which by the way I've gotten to chapter 14 now.), the case doesn't have that 3D Warning on the front of the box at all (I'm talking both the inner case and the box. Is this the same for the people who got the gimped Newegg version?
Yup:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Awesome! posted:

Is NSMB2 worth a buy if I haven't played any of the previous nsmb games? Seems like the main gripe is it's just a rehash but it would be all new for me.

Certainly. Even as someone that played the preceding two games (and the Wii U one that came out a few months after, and have the physical release of New Super Luigi preordered :negative:) I had a lot of fun with it. The whole "HOLY poo poo SO MANY COINS" thing is pretty much a surface level gimmick, the actual core gameplay and stage design is really solid.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Oh that's simply beautiful. I wonder why they didn't put it on there? Seeing as its probably the only game in the US 3DS Library that doesn't have it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I really wish it was on new games. I would totally add to my backlog if that was the case.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Well drat. One of my three games said available for pick up now I got an email saying it's not but it won't let me cancel my other two games that are going to ship to me. What's worse is that cancelling the one that can't ship or be picked up takes away the free game and charges me in full. gently caress Best Buy.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 27, 2013

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Awesome! posted:

I personally found it pretty boring. I beat the game in 9 hours and had no desire to seek out the 3 coins in each level. Unlike in 3D land where I 100%'d the poo poo out of it because I just had way more fun on that game. There's just something off about the level design IMO in NSMB2.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Awesome! posted:

No. Get the original DS cart and play through that. Seriously, it's such a better game. NSMB2 is not only entirely uninspired, but also really loving hard, which would be fine if it were new stuff/fun stuff, but it's not worth it. I mean, if you need some hours to kill, sure? But I was sourly disappointed.

SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

This Unit Will Self-Destruct Upon Termination of Target

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Oh that's simply beautiful. I wonder why they didn't put it on there? Seeing as its probably the only game in the US 3DS Library that doesn't have it.

The warning is on the back at the very least, so it's not like it doesn't exist on the packaging. I guess that's why NamcoBandai didn't bother putting it on the cover.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

VarrosAnon posted:

No. Get the original DS cart and play through that. Seriously, it's such a better game. NSMB2 is not only entirely uninspired, but also really loving hard, which would be fine if it were new stuff/fun stuff, but it's not worth it. I mean, if you need some hours to kill, sure? But I was sourly disappointed.

I honestly wouldn't ever tell somebody to play the original DS game unless they strictly could only play DS titles, or they got it for free, or something. NSMB2 is a lot better, the first NSMB set a lot of lovely precedents that I wish they'd abandon.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ok, I just threw down on Animal Crossing, so I need friends now. My code is 2165-5460-1982. Add me whoever.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

mutata posted:

Ok, I just threw down on Animal Crossing, so I need friends now. My code is 2165-5460-1982. Add me whoever.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3546866
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3555364

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So I'm getting a lot more dust under my top screen. Does anyone know a way to get rid of them? This is killing me. :negative:

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Chronojam posted:

I honestly wouldn't ever tell somebody to play the original DS game unless they strictly could only play DS titles, or they got it for free, or something. NSMB2 is a lot better, the first NSMB set a lot of lovely precedents that I wish they'd abandon.

Such as? I mean I know about the Bah-Bah's in the music but the only thing I can think of otherwise is the stupidity of the Mega Mushroom.

psychoticBacofoil posted:

The warning is on the back at the very least, so it's not like it doesn't exist on the packaging. I guess that's why NamcoBandai didn't bother putting it on the cover.

I know that, and honestly I wish it would be that way exclusively but I guess that's because I find that ugly warning to be something of a minor nitpick.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Thanks!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The extra stages in Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D were such a joke... After doing all those temple stages to get to the new levels was expecting something really challenging, but instead they are breeze through levels where I very rarely died. So disappointing.

Awesome! posted:

NSMB2 is my most played game at 35 hours. But I enjoy doing the street pass challenges a ton and am up to 1.5 million coins, so yeah... I have gotten my money's worth from it.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Bought an XL about a week ago and it's starting to scratch itself on the top screen just like my old 3DS. Did they even need to put such a massive border around the touch screen?
:negative:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Index is going to file for bankruptcy. There's talks of restructuring and even possibly selling out assets, including Atlus. One can only hope that Atlus escapes mostly unscathed.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Atlus Japan is doing damage control on Twitter. They've said plans for Dragon's Crown, Etrian Odyssey, and SMT4 are unchanged and will still be supported/sold online, also the Persona Twitter basically said "yo Persona 5 is okay stop freaking out".

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Policenaut posted:

Atlus Japan is doing damage control on Twitter. They've said plans for Dragon's Crown, Etrian Odyssey, and SMT4 are unchanged and will still be supported/sold online, also the Persona Twitter basically said "yo Persona 5 is okay stop freaking out".

Have they said anything about SMT x Fire Emblem?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

The Persona bear Twitter account really talked about how they're sorry for making everyone so worried but it'll be okay, they're doing their best to deliver games, and Atlus is immortal. So I'm guessing that SMTxFE is safe too, but most everyone took that tweet as "PHEW Persona 5 is okay!"

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Atlus gets bought by Sony and SMT x Fire Emblem is transformed in SMT x Playstation All Stars.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

I freely admit to being a Sony fanboy and I STILL want to fight you for suggesting that.

On the other hand, LittleBigAmala might be worth something.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

limaCAT posted:

Atlus gets bought by Sony and SMT x Fire Emblem is transformed in SMT x Playstation All Stars.

A Thousand Years of Persona Sequels On Playstation*

* Persona 5 underperforms and Sony shoves the franchise in the same closet as Arc the Lad and Wild Arms

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

If this is not a real thing and my dream of a Demi-Fiend/Donnel crit assist is dashed then I will wreak a terrible revenge.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Is anyone really weeping over the death of Arc the Lad? I mean, besides Vic Ireland :cawg:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My guess is that some Japanese studios will pick up the individual franchises like the THQ liquidation. Maybe intelligent systems can get the SMT IP.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

This deal only works on games you pick up in the store, apparently. Which is super lame because of the three games I put in to order, not one of them is available at a Best Buy within 4 hours central North Carolina.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Dehry posted:

My guess is that some Japanese studios will pick up the individual franchises like the THQ liquidation. Maybe intelligent systems can get the SMT IP.

IS is a Nintendo first party developer so you're hoping Nintendo buys the ip

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Policenaut posted:

Is anyone really weeping over the death of Arc the Lad? I mean, besides Vic Ireland :cawg:

Man, don't knock Vic Ireland (PBUH). :(

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Ohtsam posted:

IS is a Nintendo first party developer so you're hoping Nintendo buys the ip

It'd be so weird if Nintendo got a hold of the Shin Megami Tensei IP. I wouldn't complain. :allears:

BlandGenericFace
Nov 14, 2012
Don't know if any UK goons are interested, but game.co.uk ended up sending me two download codes for Ocarina of Time and won't refund the second one. If you fancy helping me out and buying it off me, I paid £32.99 - feel free to DM me. Can't believe they won't refund it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!

Huxley posted:

This deal only works on games you pick up in the store, apparently. Which is super lame because of the three games I put in to order, not one of them is available at a Best Buy within 4 hours central North Carolina.

My closest Best Buy is an hour away, and it doesn't carry used games. I was excited for a minute getting 3 games for $50. It's too bad Best Buys in New England have no idea what they are doing (I don't know if any of them really do)

Ah well, I shouldn't be buying new games anyways. I have less than a month to finish EO4 and Fire Emblem so I can sink my teeth into SMT4.

• Locked thread