Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Unmature posted:

Despite the love for the 8-bit Disney games, a lot of the 16-bit ones are forgotten. This is probably because they aren't re-released in our faces again and again and again like most classic games of the era. Aladdin gets mentioned a lot thanks to its difficulty, but people don't talk about a lot of the great ones.

The game I'm probably more nostalgic for than any other 16-bit gem is World of Illusion starring Mickey and Donald. I never see anyone mention this, but I still love it. It's ridiculously slow and easy, but one of the prettier games for the Genesis. And it has co-op. Mickey and Donald can reach different areas, leading to branching paths in the game. So if you're playing alone, your character choice will effect the levels you'll play. In co-op Mickey can help Donald fit his fat rear end through smaller passages, but alone Donald just has to find another way to the next stage.

It's not as action-packed as some of its contemporaries like the Magical Quest games or The Lion King, but the stages vary in gameplay from straight-forward platforming to flying a magic carpet. And Mickey and Donald visit levels inspired by classic Disney films like Alice in Wonderland making it sort of a precursor to Kingdom Hearts.

Check it out if you missed it.

So many of the early Disney games were awesome, and pretty much all the ones on Genesis were great. Quackshot is one of my earliest gaming memories. The 'boi-oi-oing' sound of the plungers hitting things will stick with me forever. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Unmature posted:

Despite the love for the 8-bit Disney games, a lot of the 16-bit ones are forgotten. This is probably because they aren't re-released in our faces again and again and again like most classic games of the era. Aladdin gets mentioned a lot thanks to its difficulty, but people don't talk about a lot of the great ones.

Which version of Aladdin? My sister got the SNES version for Christmas one year and I think I ended up playing it more than she did. Seemed pretty easy to me but a really enjoyable platformer overall. I just got the Genesis version a couple of days ago but haven't checked it out beyond plugging it in to make sure it worked.

midwest ink posted:

Kabuki Quantum Fighter

NES/1990/Platformer

What is there not to like about this game, you get put into a computer and turned into a bad rear end fighting kabuki! Game play is alot like Ninja Gaiden, you can get weapons like throwing stars but your main weapon is your hair. That's right, you go around and head bang kicking rear end by whipping enemies with your hair. Has a pretty good soundtrack and can probably be had for about $4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3RMKE8JeqU

gently caress YES. :hfive:

It's Ninja Gaiden and The Matrix in a blender with a sprig of Contra. Kabuki Quantum Fighter is oddly overlooked, and the only thing I can think of is that maybe the premise of being a hair-whipping kabuki man fighting monsters in a computer was too weird. Control is tight, the graphics are great for the 8-bit era and the soundtrack rocks. And the challenge is just in that sweet spot where it's hard but not so frustrating that you want to throw a controller against the wall. I played this last night, and it's partly why I'm asking about overlooked games.

Bit of a tease since this only came out in arcades, but Lucky & Wild was always a really fun play. It's a driving game with two handguns mounted on the side. You can play it with only one player (driving + 1 gun), but a lot of the fun came from having someone else in the adjacent seat. My cousin and I used to play this one with one of us driving and the other handling the guns. Probably the best part was seeing your character's reactions in the rear view mirror.

Edit: Yeesh, almost a page back. That'll teach me to stop and eat halfway through typing up a post.

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 8, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

So many of the early Disney games were awesome, and pretty much all the ones on Genesis were great. Quackshot is one of my earliest gaming memories. The 'boi-oi-oing' sound of the plungers hitting things will stick with me forever. :3:

I'm pretty sure I can play every song from Quackshot in my head. I've got Transylvania going on up there right now.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Quiet Feet posted:

Which version of Aladdin? My sister got the SNES version for Christmas one year and I think I ended up playing it more than she did. Seemed pretty easy to me but a really enjoyable platformer overall. I just got the Genesis version a couple of days ago but haven't checked it out beyond plugging it in to make sure it worked.

The Genesis Aladdin is legendary for its difficulty. Best example I can think of is this Penny Arcade comic:

Also the Game Grumps are playing through it now.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There have been recent leaks/rumours that suggest Sega/M2's next Vintage Collection release is gonna contain Castle of Illusion, Quackshot and World of Illusion, and will be available on Steam as well as XBLA/PSN/Wii U eShop.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Holy hell the ball physics are atrocious in Pinball Quest. And you can't say it should be expected because Nintendo's own Pinball and Rare's port of Pin*Bot are great for an 8-bit title. :colbert:

Unmature
May 9, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There have been recent leaks/rumours that suggest Sega/M2's next Vintage Collection release is gonna contain Castle of Illusion, Quackshot and World of Illusion, and will be available on Steam as well as XBLA/PSN/Wii U eShop.

A few weeks ago I would have thrown acid in your face for such a lie. But after the Duck Tales announcement I could actually see this happening.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Unmature posted:

A few weeks ago I would have thrown acid in your face for such a lie. But after the Duck Tales announcement I could actually see this happening.

Castle of Illusion has recently showed up on various ratings boards, achievements for all three games were found in the Steam registry, I think someone even found a packshot on some Xbox site. I can't guarantee that they'll be available as a bundle, or that they'll all be released at the same time, but they're definitely coming.

Then again, Skies of Arcadia HD and Shenmue HD were supposed to be a sure thing, too...

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Quiet Feet posted:

Bit of a tease since this only came out in arcades, but [b]Lucky & Wild was always a really fun play. It's a driving game with two handguns mounted on the side. You can play it with only one player (driving + 1 gun), but a lot of the fun came from having someone else in the adjacent seat. My cousin and I used to play this one with one of us driving and the other handling the guns. Probably the best part was seeing your character's reactions in the rear view mirror.

Edit: Yeesh, almost a page back. That'll teach me to stop and eat halfway through typing up a post.

I remember playing the poo poo out of this game at a local arcade (that closed down around '98). Someday, I wanna find a machine of my own. :allears:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Tobaccrow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5Rd-pe2dec
1991 - VICE: Project Doom
It's like Ninja Gaiden, but not nearly as hard. For one, your sword slash arcs are wide enough to hit enemies behind your head. You also can switch to a pistol or grenades (which are more plentiful than ninja magic in Ninja Gaiden). There are two shmup-style driving stages and two shooting gallery (not zapper compatible) type stages. Most of the time, it's side-scrolling action stages (skip to about 4 minutes into the video to see).

The plot and cut scenes are also seriously b-movie style cheesy. Might have to give this one another play through soon.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I have $50 to spend at Rakuten.co.jp. Can that area of the site be shipped to America directly or does it have to be shipped to Tenso first? So far I've picked out a Ponyo poster and I'm looking at getting some neato automobile advert/postery posters and video game advert/postery posters, which leaves me with about $40 to play with. What else/games should I get? How much should I expect to pay in shipping? Also, what does this mean?

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 8, 2013

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
入札する = "Place a bid."

I guess it's for an auction.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Anything I should know before buying a soldering iron?

And I'm also curious about Rakuten shipping. The games always seem so cheap, but it has to be super pricey to ship right?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Unmature posted:

And I'm also curious about Rakuten shipping. The games always seem so cheap, but it has to be super pricey to ship right?

Soldering Iron: Try to get one with an interchangeable tip and with temperature control. Weller is a good brand. Spend a bit of money and you'll get a tool that will last you a lifetime.

Rakuten: EMS shipping is expensive but the price goes down the more you ship in one package. Try to buy in bulk or organize a local group buy to help keep costs down.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Unmature posted:

Probably obvious, but just like with any tool you're better off investing a little extra in one that will last a long time (ie no Radioshack poo poo). Temperature control and interchangeable tips are an absolute must. Also, Weller or Hakko are probably the best choices, and in the home-hobbyist range, my recommendations are:

Analog:
Weller WES51 or the Hakko FX888.

Digital (with temperature sensing/digital readout):
Weller WESD51 or Hakko's cheapo digital.

I'm partial to the analog WES51, but that's because it's the one I own.

I'd also recommend picking up a brass-ball tip cleaner because they're awesome. Something like this or this.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Awesome, thanks guys!

What should my first project be? I wanna put a backlight in my NGPC, but that's probably not a beginner thing. I don't want my first mod to be loving up my NGPC.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Underrated classics? Cool, a nice chance for me to get stuck into this thread. I've always enjoyed reading, but I'm too much of an emulator guy to get stuck into AV/Pick-ups talk :(. Anyhoo, here's one of my favourite Arcade/Mega Drive games:

Gain Ground

(1988, Arcade/Mega Drive, Top-down run n' gun)

Gain Ground's an odd little game that's hard to get into - I remember when I first played it I made the mistake of setting the difficulty to Easy, and I was bored out of my mind - I didn't get the game at all, I certainly wasn't impressed by the game's technical capabilities (it's definitely one of the uglier games on the system) and I just dismissed it off-hand as a rather dull shooter. But when you actually play the game properly and get deep into it...drat, it's addicting. Gain Ground's far from your average run n' gun game - you get a wide range of characters to choose from, all of which have their strengths and weaknesses - it's all about choosing the right mix for each level. There's a lot of risk/reward going on - , as well as a lot of planning, as the game can be very cruel if you screw things up. There's a lot of strategic and puzzle elements, and it gets quite nail-biting in the later stages. It's all about picking the best characters for rushing in and picking up new ones, and balancing that with the best characters for clearing out stages - you don't want to have to take every single character to the exit, otherwise time becomes a factor. I can't really think of any game that's similar to Gain Ground.

If you're looking for a wholly different run n' gun experience, then I highly recommend it - I believe the Mega Drive/Genesis version's pretty cheap to boot. Make sure you play it on Normal right off the bat though...hell, you may want to play it on Hard, although you have to be careful there - you get every character from the off, but if you screw up a stage then you'll have to pick whichever characters you want to save before time runs out...when things start to go wrong, it usually causes a domino effect. Such an intriguing lil' game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-8QKrWDiII

This vid I made a while back will perhaps do a better job of explaining what I like about the game. Hopefully I'm not breaking too many rules by posting this.

Souichiro
Aug 31, 2003

You should focus on doing the things only you can do.
I have a problem, and that problem is collecting fighting games.
I've realized there's a LOT of fighters out there, and of course like anything, 90% are crap. But they're what I grew up on, so I have a bit of a soft spot.

Boxed and loose NES, SNES, Super Famicom, N64 and GC games:

Loose SNES includes Ballz, Battle Blaze, Power Instinct, Best of the Best, Brutal: Paws of Fury, Super SFII, and Pit-Fighter. The Sufami games are Bastard!!, Natsuki Crisis Battle and Seifuku Densetsu Pretty Fighter (shut up the local game shop had it).

Xbox, some of my 360, and then DS/3DS/PSP:

I keep trying to get people to try Fight Club, no takers so far.

PS2:

I still need to get the KOF 02/03 compilation.

DC/PS1/Etc:

I need to find a new case for Street Fighter II MOVIE, as someone along the line cut down the JP PS1 dual disc case inserts to fit in a standard jewel case. On the end is Fighting Street for Turbo CD and Super SF II Turbo for 3DO.

Sega/huge boxes:

Still trying to track down Fighters Megamix.

Not pictured are the GB/GBA/Neo Pocket games, not sure how I want to store those besides "in a drawer."

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Whoa, nice collection. I love specific collections like that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Your collection is amazing, and I'm supremely jealous of it Souichiro.

Oh god, you got lured in by KoF:Maximum Impact as well, huh? Maximum Impact 2's actually a decent fighting game. I've had some fun with it, and it has quite a large roster of characters. Just don't use the English voice track if you value your sanity or don't want to die laughing.

Souichiro posted:

DC/PS1/Etc:

You call yourself a collector of fighting games? You've barely got any for the best console that had them! :argh:. If you want some Dreamcast recommendations, look into Tech Romancer, Capcom vs SNK (it plays closer to SNK than the Capcom-style system in 2), Plasma Sword, Soul Calibur (it still stands up against 2 and 3), Project Justice (the sequel to Rival Schools) and maybe Psychic Force 2012. The rest of the best are all ones you have the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube ports for.

Out of curiosity, why's Rival Schools in a double-disc PSX case? I've never heard of a fighting game needing more than one disc for it.

Souichiro
Aug 31, 2003

You should focus on doing the things only you can do.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Your collection is amazing, and I'm supremely jealous of it Souichiro.

Oh god, you got lured in by KoF:Maximum Impact as well, huh? Maximum Impact 2's actually a decent fighting game. I've had some fun with it, and it has quite a large roster of characters. Just don't use the English voice track if you value your sanity or don't want to die laughing.

I kind of have a soft spot for the Max Impact series, while it doesn't quite feel like a KOF in terms of playstyle, I like it all the same. And I've heard the English voices, once was enough.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You call yourself a collector of fighting games? You've barely got any for the best console that had them! :argh:. If you want some Dreamcast recommendations, look into Tech Romancer, Capcom vs SNK (it plays closer to SNK than the Capcom-style system in 2), Plasma Sword, Soul Calibur (it still stands up against 2 and 3), Project Justice (the sequel to Rival Schools) and maybe Psychic Force 2012. The rest of the best are all ones you have the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube ports for.

Out of curiosity, why's Rival Schools in a double-disc PSX case? I've never heard of a fighting game needing more than one disc for it.

DC is my next goal, mainly because once upon a time when I had to pay bills badly I sold off my DC and my collection (don't hurt me). Ideally I would get Moero! Justice Gakuen instead of Project Justice, since that's what my saves are for (and had the create-a-character boardgame left intact, which I gamed horribly by making a character with all four super slots unlocked and ridiculous meter-building capabilities).

As for PSX Rival Schools, it originally came on 2 discs, one being Arcade Mode, and one being Evolution. Evolution had a bunch of minigames, and in Japan had the School Life create-a-character dating-sim-esque mode. The US release kept the double disc format but axed School Life.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Unmature posted:

Awesome, thanks guys!

What should my first project be? I wanna put a backlight in my NGPC, but that's probably not a beginner thing. I don't want my first mod to be loving up my NGPC.

Easy mods to start with:

-Replace batteries in your carts

-Sega Saturn Mod Chip install

-Model 1 Sega Genesis S-Video Mod

Slightly more advanced:

-Dreamcast internal VGA Mod

TheMammoth
Dec 3, 2002

davecrazy posted:

Somebody should make an app where you use your phone to scan the barcode off the boxes.

I'm surprised no one has done this, even to the point of just applying some simple code to make it work with a 3rd party scanner on your PC. LibraryThing uses the QueCat, for example (and sells them through their website, presumably having purchased boxes of them at little cost from the literal warehouses of those things which now sit around). If anyone here has much in the way of programming knowledge and/or feels like e-mailing LibraryThing regarding how they implemented their's, which feels fairly rudimentary, that'd be an awesome (and potentially money-making) project.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

TheMammoth posted:

I'm surprised no one has done this, even to the point of just applying some simple code to make it work with a 3rd party scanner on your PC. LibraryThing uses the QueCat, for example (and sells them through their website, presumably having purchased boxes of them at little cost from the literal warehouses of those things which now sit around). If anyone here has much in the way of programming knowledge and/or feels like e-mailing LibraryThing regarding how they implemented their's, which feels fairly rudimentary, that'd be an awesome (and potentially money-making) project.

There's ample documentation on those things. It's just that nobody cares any more since cell phones can read bar codes a lot more easily (CueCats are a bit finicky).

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

While we're talking underrated classics, I'll toss another one out there, and this time get it right!

Axelay - 1992, SNES, Shoot 'em Up (shmup)

Longplay video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBJ6IcdKk8M

While arcades have been the predominant home for shmups, the 16-bit era brought in more successful attempts on bringing those games to homes. A rare sight at that time were shmups developed exclusively for consoles, and Konami's Axelay was one of the first to make its home solely on the SNES. There's a fair bit of inspiration from Konami's previous shmups included; like Life Force/Salamander, the stages alternate between vertical and horizontal scrolling, and your ship gets access to a versatile range of weaponry. That's where the similarities end though and Axelay starts to take on its own.

From the start, you're given a decent set of weaponry and the game expects you to experiment with and use them to your heart's content. No powerups required, you simply switch your armament according to the task at hand. Every boss taken down means a new weapon to play around with and new strategies to figure out, though you're only allowed to carry one of each at any time. The weapon choices are what make me come back to this game time and again. You can shoot lasers at enemies, use side shots if you want something safer or to cover your flank, or unleash missile barrages into a boss' soon to be nonexistent face.

Like most SNES titles worth their weight, it makes good use of Mode 7 effects, particularly in the vertical stages. The first stage with your ship flying through a cloud-covered sky while shooting at turret platforms made of asteroids is a hell of a way to start off the game. One of the biggest and most striking uses of it is in the boss fight depicted above, if you can make it that far. I have to give special mention to the music as well, it is one of the best I've heard in a SNES game. Taro Kudo made some very memorable and fitting songs for each stage, and would later go on to serve as co-composer for Super Castlevania IV, another SNES title well remembered for its soundtrack. Just give these a listen, and if nothing else hopefully they get you to try this gem if you haven't!

iastudent fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 8, 2013

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

On another note, a friend of mine's been getting into the Densha de Go! series and we were talking about helping him get one of the train-style controllers at some point. He plays it on an emulator though, so I was wondering if the controller would work on that with a PS1/2-to-USB adapter.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Well selling EVO didn't really pan out so I'm gonna expand things a little and open this offer to you guys first. I really just want to sell them so I can not have my isp freak out and cut off my hugely overdue account. Prices aren't set in stone but be reasonable- shipping from Halifax NS probably won't be super cheap. If you're buying EVO we can certainly work out a nice deal on any others.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Finally got to play something on my Saturn, as my copy of Daytona USA showed up today. I can understand how people found this port disappointing back in the day, because it really isn't anywhere near as impressive as the arcade original (or the HD version I've been playing on my 360) and it's obvious it was rushed to make the launch, but I knew all of this beforehand and I'm having a blast with the game. Even the controls are surprisingly good on the Superpad 8, that thing has a nice responsive D-pad so I'm actually staying on the track relatively well. Drifting is pretty hard with digital controls, though.

The music is, of course, amazing as always. DAYTOOOONAAAAAAAAAAAA :byodood:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

thunderspanks posted:

Well selling EVO didn't really pan out so I'm gonna expand things a little and open this offer to you guys first. I really just want to sell them so I can not have my isp freak out and cut off my hugely overdue account. Prices aren't set in stone but be reasonable- shipping from Halifax NS probably won't be super cheap. If you're buying EVO we can certainly work out a nice deal on any others.

I'll be honest with you. You're asking for basically great eBay prices. Goons here often sell for cheap or just give away their games (like often Rgb Miyamoto does)

I mean, I know you're open to offers, but a lot of us here have the good/rare games we want already or are just holding off to see if we find a store that has them for like 5 bucks. Which can and does happen.

Also, Jesus, I know evo was only like 80 bucks a year ago. Did it follow earthbound in the price bubble?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

JESUS gently caress WHAT THE CHRIST

The Saturn decided it doesn't want to read the Daytona disc (which appears to be in near mint condition) any more. It worked perfectly fine for a while, and then just... nothing. It tries to read the disc, but all I get is a horrible grinding sound and the game won't start any more :shepicide:

Audio CDs still work, so it doesn't look like the drive has failed.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Oh jeez. A while back, I had The King of Speed set as my ringtone. I went to my niece's school for a show they were putting on. Yeah you can guess where this is going. A nice quiet moment in the play and ROOOOOOOOLLLIIIIING STTAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRTTTTT!!!

And I never forgot to put my phone on silent again.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

HKR posted:

Rakuten: EMS shipping is expensive but the price goes down the more you ship in one package. Try to buy in bulk or organize a local group buy to help keep costs down.

If anyone on the US East Coast wants to organize some kind of group buy, I'd be down... I'm looking to buy a few (9 or so) PSX/DC games.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

I am bloody awful at racing games and even I like Daytona. Sorry to hear it's not working. :(

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

Time for me to contribute something other than random garbage about arcade machines and terrible shots of my setup.

It's time for a heaping of DOS / PC LOVE! Some of these games I was hooked on back in the day and still find fun to play today.

Stellar 7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaKx1seZ928

Stellar 7 is like a precursor to Battlezone [the 90's Activision one]. You control a hover tank called the 'Raven', that comes equipped with a stock of seven power ups (three uses each), and a cannon with infinite ammo. Basically, if it moves, shoot it. If it doesn't move, shoot it. If it doesn't react to being shot, and doesn't move, run into it. The game starts out fairly easy, but quickly ramps up within the first few levels, to the point of ridiculous. It had a sequel that seemingly wasn't as widely spread, Nova 9. Nova takes the formula and basically rehashes it again, but adds a lot of new features and better gameplay handling. Both are extremely fun takes on the Battlezone style. There is also Stellar Fire for the Sega CD which is like an arcade-ish port.

Best Moments: The bosses, some of which are seriously creative and learning how to best use the power ups.
Best Described As: Between green screen Battlezone, and Activision 90's, came that wonderful period I call the awesome 'Polygon Era'. Experience it.

BLOOD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6rLeYw7Zts

Blood has always held a special place in my heart. Finding that splattered hand art box sitting on the shelf in the store, and Dad looking at it saying 'Well, if you won't get nightmares...' [I was like 13]. Cue dad sitting to next to me for around two hours after we got home. Both of us silent for the most part, occasionally cringing, sometimes laughing. Blood is a seriously :stare: game if you've never played it before, and if you haven't guessed yet, the name says it all. Running on Build3D [Duke Nukem 3D / Shadow Warrior engine] makes it seem primitive these days, but the atmosphere GT poured into the textures, sound, music and level design all come together to make you forget the engines flaws. Caleb and his friends are betrayed by their cult's god. His friends are murdered in front of his eyes, his lover Ophelia is stolen away by a giant Stone Gargoyle, and Caleb is thrown into a shallow grave by the one they worshipped for years. He awakens from his death with a pitchfork in his hand, and murder on his mind. Hearing Caleb's gravelled voice pronounce 'I liiive...agaaiin...' as you climb out of a grave is a fantastic start to the game and a good idea of what lay ahead. Zombies that moan about brains, Cultists that scream 'IT BURNS!' as you set them alight with a flare gun, loads of pop culture references and Caleb singing a few lines from old hollywood show tunes when sitting idle. It's funny, creepy, and sometimes downright scary all at the same time. The whole game provides hours of entertainment, especially the 'One Unit Whole' version that packs extra addons into the package. You can grab it from GOG. Leave Blood 2 well the gently caress alone though, because it's utter loving shite.

Best Moments: The train level, especially blowing enemies out the train car windows with the shotgun. That and the carnival level, especially the secret carnival level that continues on after it if you find the secret exit. Or the secret Mall level, complete with elevator music. Also you can kick zombie heads around like footballs.
Best Described As: Evil Dead meets every 80's horror movie ever, with a sprinkle of vengeance thrown in.

Interstate '76
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JCGZFQZkdc

I'76 is right up in my Top 10 of all time. Ever. Seriously. 70's muscle cars with whoppin' great weapons stuck to them is the order of the day, with a side entree of revenge. You play Groove Champion, whose sister was an 'Auto Vigilante' before she was killed by a 'Creeper'. You inherit her car and along with your good friend Taurus, and his narcoleptic and slightly slow mechanic Skeeter, set out to track down and get revenge on the man who put her down. Through 17 'T.R.I.P' missions, you find out there's a plot to blow up the federal oil reserves and soon find yourselves caught up in it. Dirty cops, helicopters and crazy Creepers are all part of the package. The physics, the sounds, the voice work, the [intentionally] crappy cutscenes, the atmosphere, the 'go anywhere on the map' open world, the blank comedy and the excitement of taking on multiple cars at once. The whole game wraps together to bring an awesome single player story, along with extra single missions that can be completed at any time outside of the main story. Salvage parts and weapons from cars you defeat during the missions, and slowly upgrade your Pirahna, with weapons including flame throwers, mine droppers and a wide array of bullet spitters. Then there's the easy to use [once you know how and can avoid the bugs] map creator, so you can build, share and play on your own multi player maps. It spawned two sequels, I'77 [Nitro Riders] and I'82. I'82 should just be avoided as it's pretty awful and was a major step back. I'77 though adds more cars, more colours and textures and a bunch of prequel stories where you can play as Taurus, Skeeter or Jade Champion. You can grab the pack over at GOG, alongside a patcher that makes running it on new PC's a lot easier. Still not convinced? Check out some of the gameplay and cutscene videos. It also spawned the console spin off's of Vigilante 8 which while fun, are more of a comedy option.

Best Moments: The missions themselves are all extremely fun, along with the original presentation of the cutscenes. That along with the comedic moments and fond memories of the insane multiplayer. Also the insanely accurate [even by today] physics involved in steering and general driving. Oh, and you have a pistol that you can use to .45 other drivers. And lastly, but not least...Taurus' Poems [Click here for loving awesome]. "I'm a storm torrent, across a slate grey sea..."
Best Described As: Easy Rider with muscle cars and a funk edge.

DreamWeb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hiZiRsS6BE

Before Hotline Miami, there was DreamWeb. In a dark and dystopian future, you play Ryan, a bartender who hasn't been able to sleep properly for months. Suddenly one night, during one of his nightmarish visions, a monk appears. The monk makes a proposition and soon Ryan becomes the "deliverer", the one who would keep the 'DreamWeb' safe by killing those who try to destroy it. Before he knows it he's awake in a pool of sweat and late for work as usual. The game quickly turns from your average point and click into something dark and terrible, as you advance further down the rabbit hole. You only have a small viewing window, and a there are a lot of filler inventory items designed to throw you off, and while there is dialogue it's not branching in any way [though you still need it to advance]. The game is extremely well animated, but you can see where the effort went when the game can be finished in just under two hours. But what a two hours it is. Violent death, intrigue and a crazy plot all combined to become something very memorable to me.

Best Moments: A timed event where you have to axe one guy and shoot another before either kill you. Also the loving amazing animation.
Best Described As: A very slow paced Hotline Miami with less violence and more puzzles.

Phew. I hope people enjoy reading this, and if so I have plenty more to write about. :v:

Speaking of Daytona, the Arcades Attract music is my new ringtone. It's awesome when it goes off, and one or two people look at me with a smile. 'Dayttooonnaaaa!' :D

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Well, I pulled out a hair (most likely mine) from the Saturn's CD drive and the game started working after that. :downs: I'm not entirely sure if that was there before the game started acting up or if it got there when I was fumbling with the drive and trying to get it to work, but I'm sure it didn't help matters.

If I start getting more disc read errors, I probably need to open the thing up and see if I can adjust the disc drive's spindle or the laser resistance. Until then, ROLLING STAAAAAAAAART

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Speaking of the Saturn, I played about 2 hours of Dracula X [SotN] on Saturn this weekend, then I threw Symphony of the Night into my PSX to test out the official S-Video cable I scored at Goodwill for $3 (:smugdog:) and I could not go back to the sluggish, load ridden, ugly Saturn version. Those fake checkerboard "transparencies" were really bumming me out.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'm curious if anyone here has one of these two:

A pirated GBA cart with a MODE7 or other intro. There was a news story about a kid who told his Dad that his copy of Yoshi's Island was telling him GREETINGS! and gently caress YOU! It was a used gamestop cart. No-Intro was a new idea and for the last time in history the official numbered scene releases had intros all the time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GJVmeVy7lM
Maktones released all his .mod music at some point.

GBA pirate Sonic 3 Fighter Sonic. Only ever seen in shady online auctions, I have been trying to track down a person with a copy for years. All attempts to dump it have been unsuccessful. I want to try another dumping method or two.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOwMhanNwC8
I want it why do I want it why am I laughing so hard

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Yeah the Saturn really is a terrible port of SotN. The best one is the hidden version on Castlevania PSP

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
You are the greatest player.
Will a US Zapper work with light gun games on the Everdrive-N8 on an AV Famicom? I've heard the Japanese gun may be required for both NES and Famicom games on the system that use it since it looks on the extra accessory port and not on port 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

flyboi posted:

Yeah the Saturn really is a terrible port of SotN. The best one is the hidden version on Castlevania PSP

If memory serves, the original game designer disowned the Saturn version entirely, or at least publicly stated that it should best be ignored.

Truth about the PSP version; the dialogue is entire rewritten and re-recorded, and is worlds better than the original; you do lose "A miserable little pile of secrets," but the intro confrontation between Trevor and Dracula otherwise is leaps and bounds ahead of the original cheese.

• Locked thread