Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I have to ask why people obsess over these two particular showrunners so much more than like any others, ever?

I feel like show runners in general are a lot more visible in the past due to them staying relevant and public through podcasts or social media or whatever. Like chalk me up to another who knows Murphy and Sutter through this forum.

Harmon is popular because he makes himself especially available to fans through these mediums. He is also a damaged person so poo poo like this happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Toxxupation posted:

no, nobody on this forum gives a poo poo about sutter or murphy, two shining examples of being giant shitbag showrunners

the only other example of a showrunner being brought into a fraction of the scrutiny that harmon is is moffat, and that's because doctor who fans are...awful

Are you being sarcastic? they get poo poo on a lot, at least Sutter did when his show was popular. his new show didnt even get a thread here, we just transitioned the SOA hatewatch thread into the thing he is doing now. Nobody is quiet or subtle about their dislike of sutter in TVIV. He was also known for flipping out on twitter for a while, but I dont think he ever had an all-night meltdown, just lashing out at 'oval office bloggers'

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

oh sure people hate their works but it's never as weirdly personal and charged as it is with harmon

again only moffat gets that level of insane vitriol where every single aspect of the shows he runs has to be somehow related to his closet/overt misogyny and hatred of women and it basically becomes this weird mudslinging contest

also harmon's the only one who gets constantly berated with claims that just because he's a giant asocial shithead in real life that's somehow reflective of him being a bad showrunner who doesn't "deserve" to executive produce television programs, as opposed to the reality where he's a wildly successful showrunner who's both commercially and (less importantly) critically successful

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Benioff and Weiss for Game of Thrones have absorbed a certain amount of ill-will the last couple seasons, at least online. They're probably at least the second-most disliked D&D on Something Awful.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
What about Al Jean?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

All this talk about harmon is really weird. He seems like an ok guy.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
TVIV criticism gets really creator/showrunner-focused. And not like in a sophisticated auteur-theory kinda way, either, it's just "look at how hosed up this guy is."

Though Harmon isn't exactly making it hard for anyone.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Harmon made an episode of R&M where his self-insert character burned down his business rather than go to the trouble of signing health insurance papers for his employees, and then months later he and Roiland had a meltdown on Reddit when their animator's union called them out on not providing healthcare for their employees. No matter how much boot-licking the props guy with the Penny Arcade avatar does in their defense they are terrible people and them airing their dirty laundry in public only lessens the achievements of the show and themselves.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

a cop posted:

All this talk about harmon is really weird. He seems like an ok guy.

He's not a bad person, but he is a serious alcoholic, who has trouble dealing with anger or people telling him what to do. He actually looked like he was doing a lot better when he was getting ready to get married, but I think the divorce is undoing a lot of that.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I mean last night the guy went on a multi-hour drunken rant and said some really creepy poo poo. The guy he was directing this at was a fan whose second language was English and who kept apologizing and saying he loved Harmon's work. We are not all weirdo haters for reacting to this public thing that happened less than a full day ago.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Guy A. Person posted:

Really digging the parts of the multi-hour rant where he implies that fame is a legitimate (or possibly only?) measure of a person's worth, and therefore this is the most significant moment of the poor guy's life. I guess I'm happy in a way that the dude thinks that since he clearly can't form meaningful human relationships.

CelticPredator posted:

most of us aren't famous. And people look up to the famous. Which is something to consider.

If there's anything to learn from this, it may be that fame is a dumb thing to look up to and to want to achieve.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Sleeveless posted:

Harmon made an episode of R&M where his self-insert character burned down his business rather than go to the trouble of signing health insurance papers for his employees, and then months later he and Roiland had a meltdown on Reddit when their animator's union called them out on not providing healthcare for their employees. No matter how much boot-licking the props guy with the Penny Arcade avatar does in their defense they are terrible people and them airing their dirty laundry in public only lessens the achievements of the show and themselves.

They can just get obamacare anyway.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ashpanash posted:

If there's anything to learn from this, it may be that fame is a dumb thing to look up to and to want to achieve.

If I had fame, I could make my Alien fan film and make sure Hicks and Newt stay dead forever.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~
I just watched the Harmontown documentary earlier tonight and Harmon seems like an alright guy dealing with depression and anger issues through alcohol, which while not ideal is something I can empathize with. He gets real loving angry sometimes though.

He should try weed. I'm also not surprised about the divorce after watching it.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Turfahurf posted:

I just watched the Harmontown documentary earlier tonight and Harmon seems like an alright guy dealing with depression and anger issues through alcohol, which while not ideal is something I can empathize with. He gets real loving angry sometimes though.

If you've listened to his show, you'll know he has a "prescription."

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Turfahurf posted:

Watch him on getting Doug with high, he's the same guy on weed

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Turfahurf posted:

In episode 107(?) of Harmontown, he talks about how their therapist taught him and Erin what apologies really mean and how to structure a proper apology. Dan's example was about apologizing to Erin because he barged drunk into the bedroom in his underwear waving around his little wooden "pot box" and shouting that she didn't respect his stuff because she had removed all his paraphernalia and used it for holding pieces of paper for a charades party she was hosting.

:allears:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I heard he sucks his own dick. He is a piss man. I don't like him.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ElCondemn posted:

Watch him on getting Doug with high, he's the same guy on weed

There was an episode of that with a bunch of people, sarah silverman was there. It was great. Dan has a moment were he pretends (but for real) freaks out and starts muttering and yelling.

"im high... IM HIGH I GOT TO HIGH!"

Its somewhere in here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV06WONv7A8

Listening to the new harmontown, its good.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

KoRMaK posted:

There was an episode of that with a bunch of people, sarah silverman was there. It was great. Dan has a moment were he pretends (but for real) freaks out and starts muttering and yelling.

I need to check that out. Sarah fired Dan when he was writing for her show, so it always seems like there could be some friction.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Dan Harmon is a zoophile, supports Republicans, Jobbik, and Golden Dawn, and once yelled in a podcast.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Dan Harmon is a zoophile, supports Republicans, Jobbik, and Golden Dawn, and once yelled in a podcast.

I am now obsessed with this man

pookerbug
Jan 21, 2006

the vitreous humourist

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I have to ask why people obsess over these two particular showrunners so much more than like any others, ever?

Harmon is an unstable self-destructive alcoholic and Roiland is a creepy walking red flag. They could be characters from their own show.

The season is over so if we can't obsess over the show's hosed up, damaged characters, we are going to obsess over their hosed up, damaged creators.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Given that the Galactic Federation is one of those 'assign a function' crazy dystopias where your work is decided for you, who wants to bet Rick knew this and his "I loooooove to eat huge cocks, and lick furry sweaty testicle sacks" is Rick's way of making sure Jerry has an income in the worst way possible.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

There was a bar doing a bttf thing last night and a really well dressed doc showed up. A bunch of people were taking his picture next to the deloreon and it felt kind of like a red carpet thing for a moment so I started acting like a reporter asking how he felt about the council of ricks and if they've gone too far and what dimension is he from and blah blah.

Dude only had watched 1 rick and morty episode.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

X

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

StealthArcher posted:

Given that the Galactic Federation is one of those 'assign a function' crazy dystopias where your work is decided for you, who wants to bet Rick knew this and his "I loooooove to eat huge cocks, and lick furry sweaty testicle sacks" is Rick's way of making sure Jerry has an income in the worst way possible.

um.... ok

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Nevvy Z posted:

I think the screaming sun would be a gerat phone security app. Enter your password wrong, SCREAMING SUN!

It would be a good replacement for the "Windows isn't Genuine" thing. Instead of black wallpaper and a warning message, it changes to the old default XP wallpaper but with the screaming sun.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

StealthArcher posted:

This is really weird.

KoRMaK posted:

There was a bar doing a bttf thing last night and a really well dressed doc showed up. A bunch of people were taking his picture next to the deloreon and it felt kind of like a red carpet thing for a moment so I started acting like a reporter asking how he felt about the council of ricks and if they've gone too far and what dimension is he from and blah blah.

Dude only had watched 1 rick and morty episode.

This, also.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I wish they'd assign a function for me :smith:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I wish they'd assign a function for me :smith:

StealthArcher posted:

eat huge cocks, and lick furry sweaty testicle sacks

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I wouldn't want to take your job.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

hahahahah

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Don't worry, there's no shortage of work here

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I heard he sucks his own dick.

That's some impressive flexibility. If this is true I like and respect him more now.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
As a zoophile I am glad for the representation offered by dan harmon.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

What's a zoophile? Is that like a furry?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Don't know if anyone has posted this yet, so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpxH_F-iHyI

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Would you say you...

Can't believe it?

Like the amount of RAM in the third Xbox that they called the Xbox One?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

StealthArcher posted:

Would you say you...

Can't believe it?

Like the amount of RAM in the third Xbox that they called the Xbox One?

i cannot but also i was doing the thing from the show

• Locked thread