Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

I don't really mean to cherry pick, but I wanted to use that quote to maybe expand a larger discussion...

How is that a good thing... "without worrying"?

I feel like "worrying" simply translates into time and consideration we thought we would have to put in even the most mundane tasks, in ways that most other games didn't make us. That, to me, was one of the interesting aspects/possibilities of this game. I want to worry about those things!

The bed mechanic never had any good definition... nor did the idea that you "automatically" make it safely back to somewhere when you log off. So they needed to design something, finally, because I don't think they've ever gave it more thought than "cool beds look cool"

But, they have to find some way to have a cost to simply logging out wherever and logging back in the same place.

Maybe the same "place" is ok, but time will (should*) have elapsed as if we were there in game. So I'd like to see them take that time into account... for example, offline consumption of resources (food, water, oxygen) would be one way. And making sure you have enough of that.

That consumption and safety could be relative... maybe you do have a choice to pitch a tent and truly survive, so you don't have to run back to your ship... but running back to your ship would be the next level of safety. And if that's not enough for you, then you do have the option to go find a station or hangar.

It just doesn't make sense to me that we can go somewhere, log out, and reap the benefits of whatever being in that location means... without having to deal with any of the negative effects or risks as we would if we were online.

So in the end I agree, logging off anywhere should be the deal... but the game needs to give you hard choices to make about what that means for you. I think it should do that by treating it as if you never logged off at all. (there's also a discussion to be had about player persistence in the world and I would be ok with that, but this doesn't have to mean that literally)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Some really good points here. After all, what if you just “logged off” in real life? What happens to your body and all your stuff? You can’t just fall asleep in the middle of the sidewalk and expect not to get stepped on/robbed/arrested, so why should Star Citizen be any different?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/OBkR1yy.mp4

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Cats have a lot to teach us

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
"no you don't get it, I have to get home and start star citizen so my spaceman doesn't starve in the tent he put up when I logged off! And then I'd have to buy another copy of squadron 42!"

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Ah yes, persistence in a world we are not persistently in makes sense.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
That guy seems detached from the daily life the rest of us have to suffer through.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

If he wants the game to punish you for not playing it for like a couple days, maybe he just needs to get someone to show crobberts Animal Crossing.

"I'm sorry, but I was afraid you'd never come back so I moved away. I will miss you. Sincerely, your Idris."

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

I haven't watched any SC content for well over a year now, so I was delighted to see Jackfrags put up a vid showing the current state of the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3keRKwUizuQ

What an absolute jankfest. Incredible.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

andyf posted:

I haven't watched any SC content for well over a year now, so I was delighted to see Jackfrags put up a vid showing the current state of the game

taking my thousand dollar space chariot and hundred dollar space cars with my group of friends to crawl in a hole in and shoot 4 total space dogs who are lag teleporting all over the place.

peak co-op gameplay

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
Open up your wallets nerds, time to buy new Star Citizen stuff

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/19866-RSI-Ursa-Medivac

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

On top of this, they announced 4.0 officially is on the roadmap.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
What roadmap?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Popete posted:

What roadmap?

The one that tells you where the hospital is so you know where to go in your space ambulance.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

With fresh cash you get a free jacket.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

by VideoGames

Colostomy Bag posted:

With fresh cash you get a free jacket.

A real one or in game one?

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

andyf posted:

I see the procedural birds are in!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
The first mission was killing a bunch of poor innocent doggos nesting in a cave out in the middle of nowhere.

What the hell man, leave the poor innocent doggos alone!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Popete posted:

What roadmap?

Not much what roadmap with you?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Kerbal Space Program 2 recently had its entire dev studio axed after five years of glacial progress in early access, completing fractions of a roadmap that was supposed to take 1-2 years. That's what happens when you have a publisher, I suppose.
Many of the players are up in arms, especially since the early access price was considered expensive compared to the budget price of KSP1. The comparisons are obvious, and I was considering writing one up, but a steam discussion thread got there before me.... turns out theres a definite crossover in the Space Dad and Dad Citizen populations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bless

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Kerbal Space Program 2 "pay to not blow up immediately on launch*" dlc.

(*may still explode one second after launch.)

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

holtemon posted:

Open up your wallets nerds, time to buy new Star Citizen stuff

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/19866-RSI-Ursa-Medivac

A frontline* medical support** vehicle*** built to endure the harshest environments****

* frontlines not implemented
** medical support missions not implemented
*** of course you could just land your ship at destination, but please don't and buy this instead
**** harshest environments not implemented *****
***** apart from lifts ******
****** vehicle doesn't fit in lifts

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

Nothing says medical support vehicle like „WEAPONS 1x Remote Turret: 2x S1“

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Pretty sure that putting weapons on a medical vehicle would not make it a medical vehicle anymore because everyone is just gonna shoot at it?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Michaellaneous posted:

Pretty sure that putting weapons on a medical vehicle would not make it a medical vehicle anymore because everyone is just gonna shoot at it?

The Geneva Convention is actually pretty vague about this!

Convention (I) for the Amelioration of the Condition of the Wounded and Sick in Armed Forces in the Field. Geneva, 12 August 1949. posted:

2397  As a general rule, however, only ‘light’ weapons may be mounted on military medical transports. While the nature of the anticipated threat will certainly influence the type of defensive armament used, mounting heavy weapons, sometimes referred to as ‘crew served’ (meaning they require a team of at least two people to operate them), is inconsistent with the protected status of such transports.[37] Whether every belt-fed machine gun falls into this category is uncertain, as some light, belt-fed machine guns are individually operated. Ultimately, in the light of these strictly defensive purposes and also to avoid the perception that a medical transport, displaying the distinctive emblem, is armed in a manner beyond that necessary for its self-defence, a narrow interpretation of what constitutes a ‘light’ versus ‘heavy’ weapon is called for: the larger the weapon system, the greater the risk that its presence on the vehicle could lead an adversary to conclude that the transport may be engaged in ‘acts harmful to the enemy’, and thus no longer be entitled to protection. The nature of the display of the weapons, in other words, must not be such as to lead the enemy to believe that the medical transport is equipped with non-defensive weaponry.[38] In short, it must be ensured that transports protected by Article 35 are not armed to an extent that they can be perceived as being capable of inflicting harm on the adversary because this would amount to an act the purpose or effect of which is to facilitate or impede the military operations of a Party to the conflict. Otherwise, there is a risk of their being mistaken for ‘fighting vehicles’.[39]

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

dr_rat posted:

I think CGI have managed to avoid violating the Geneva convention with this one though, so that's something.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Aramoro posted:

I think CGI have managed to avoid violating the Geneva convention with this one though, so that's something.

They've managed to avoid violating the Geneva Convention... for now.

I'm watching them!!!

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

by VideoGames

Michaellaneous posted:

What if it shoots hypodermic needles full of medicine?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Lammasu posted:

What if it shoots hypodermic needles full of medicine?

That's what bullets are, if you consider life a disease.

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

dr_rat posted:

Huh, interesting. I thought that any weapons were out. Chris clearly put a lot of thought into this jpg

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The simulation meshing is actually so complex it probabilistically reconstructed what the Geneva Convention would be in a universe where Supreme Professor Chris "Maverick" Roberts of RSI invented the FTL drive in 2184...

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Actually, you'll find that NPC simulation is so complex that you will be able to convince your janitor neighbour to start a political career, and he may end up elected to the commission which will renegotiate the terms of the Space Geneva Convention.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
One thing true to fidelity of the IRL in this game now is all of the vendors are tired of your poo poo and their jobs and bitch every 10 seconds when you are at a retail kiosk or food stand. Your proximity causes it, so it is literally your presence they hate.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Strategic Tea posted:

The simulation meshing is actually so complex it probabilistically reconstructed what the Geneva Convention would be in a universe where Supreme Professor Chris "Maverick" Roberts of RSI invented the FTL drive in 2184...

UEC is basically Space USA so like the USA they ain't signing no Geneva convention, even a space Geneve Convention

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Red Bull gives you Idrises?

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Their offices are down the street from each other so that's likely the only reason this happened lmao

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I can't imagine a more boring series than watching CIG devs iterate on bartender pathing for 6 months straight only for it to not work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
There could be a drama bonus at the end of it, when CR rejects all their work.