Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Lycus posted:

I believe Lydia said they were looking for him when Todd told her that they were holding him.
I'm sure they have some questions regarding what happened to Hank. It's not clear whether they'd be able to actually pin anything on him though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
He would be regarded as a person of interest in the highest profile case the Aq. police would probably ever have, so yeah they are looking for Jessie but may not necessarily be able to charge him with anything.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Nobody's looking for Jesse. Remember the Fring case? It is pretty irrefutable that Heisenberg was still around, but nobody wanted the case to go on longer than it had to besides Hank. They have Walt, they have the Nazis, and Skyler will probably do some jail time or serve probation. It's the end of the story. In the language of the show, nobody gives a poo poo about a possible second cook.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Timeless Appeal posted:

Nobody's looking for Jesse. Remember the Fring case? It is pretty irrefutable that Heisenberg was still around, but nobody wanted the case to go on longer than it had to besides Hank. They have Walt, they have the Nazis, and Skyler will probably do some jail time or serve probation. It's the end of the story. In the language of the show, nobody gives a poo poo about a possible second cook.

They may assume that he's dead, honestly. The last time anyone saw him that could have talked to the DEA was Marie, and he fell off the face of the earth the same time Hank did.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Max posted:

They may assume that he's dead, honestly. The last time anyone saw him that could have talked to the DEA was Marie, and he fell off the face of the earth the same time Hank did.

They have the coordinates to find Hank's body though, going to raise questions when Jesse's isn't there too.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Crashbee posted:

They have the coordinates to find Hank's body though, going to raise questions when Jesse's isn't there too.

They also know Walt was in New Hampshire, so someone besides him had to be cooking blue meth while he was gone. Unless they think his plan was to cook blue meth in hiding, drive up to a random bar in New Hampshire, call the DEA, then drive back to ABQ.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Nobody's looking for Jesse.
Lydia said they're looking for Jesse.

Marie surely told them that Hank and Gomez were working with him when they disappeared. They most definitely would want to question him about that.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 5, 2013

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Your Gay Uncle posted:

They also know Walt was in New Hampshire, so someone besides him had to be cooking blue meth while he was gone. Unless they think his plan was to cook blue meth in hiding, drive up to a random bar in New Hampshire, call the DEA, then drive back to ABQ.

Since they found Walt in the meth production facility, they'll just assume the Nazi's were the one's cooking it. I don't think there will be any indication that Jesse was specifically there.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Your Gay Uncle posted:

They may just assume the call was a hoax. I can't remember him doing anything to prove he really is Walter White other than saying it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I've been listening to the Insider podcasts (They're amazing, btw, listen to them if you haven't) and it sparked this question:

Would Walt Jr. Flynn accept the money?

Vince Gilligan confirms in the Felina podcast that the Schwartzes will follow through and deliver the money. But would Flynn accept it? Remember, the idea was to set it up as a trust to be paid out on his 18th birthday, which was about 10 months away if I remember correctly.

So let's say you're Flynn and you just turned 18. 10 months ago your criminal father showed up with $11 million and a plan to run away and got into a knife fight with you and your mom. You now (rightfully) hate your dad and wish he would die, despite when he calls up to explain he actually did it all for you. Lo and behold, he does end up dying in a Neo-Nazi meth lab. Huzzah! Now all of a sudden the Schwartzes show up with this $9 million and offer it to you. You think you can't put 2 and 2 together and figure out this is Walt's meth money, minus some expenses from being out on the run?

Flynn's pretty sharp (He's always more knowledgeable about his family's situation than he lets on) and loving hates Walt and the idea of profiting from his criminal activities. Also he's still a teenager and is going through the biggest and most justified "gently caress you, Dad!" phase in history. He's going to reject the gently caress out of that money.

I think Walt failed. He thought he at least managed to provide for his family, but I think Flynn would rather struggle with poverty than touch a dollar of his dad's meth money.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I guess it depends on whether or not Flynn thinks that the Schwartzes would actually help Walt with something like that, if that's more believable than whatever story that the Schwartzes come up with (I know that a lot of viewers don't buy that they would actually do it). He won't know about the laser pointer hitmen, of course.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It would have made more sense for Walt to say "Set up a scholarship fund to pay for his entire education." or something like that. That's more believable with the whole "We just wanted to help you as a victim of this tragic situation" story that Walt tries to help them create. Giving him the whole $9 million makes it super obvious that "Oh, this is your dad's drug money."

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Redundant posted:

They may just assume the call was a hoax. I can't remember him doing anything to prove he really is Walter White other than saying it.

But he did steal a car from there which turned up in ABQ.

I can imagine them having a simple enough time spinning a narrative out of that though. The Nazis were forcing him to cook and he escaped, tried to call the police and maybe get some witness protection, then the Nazis caught up with him and took him back. Then he somehow got hold of a machine gun and killed them all, probably through science magic.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Lycus posted:

Lydia said they're looking for Jesse.

Marie surely told them that Hank and Gomez were working with him when they disappeared. They most definitely would want to question him about that.
They were looking for Jesse when they didn't have Walt. They have Walt, they have the Nazis, and they have the bodies of Hank and Gomez. Why would they spend additional man-hours tracking down someone who is most likely dead from their point of view? Remember they don't realize the extent of Walt and Jesse's partnership because Marie didn't know and the confession is gone.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Jesse's probably about as high priority a person as Krazy-8 and Emilio for the DEA at this point. They'll probably just assume he's dead as long as Jesse is smart about getting out of town.

Also, Walt Jr. takes the money because there's no way he'd believe Grey Matter would ever have a hand in Walt's empire and conspire with him, nor would he ever consider Walt had the ability to have blackmailed them 10 months+ after his death. Add to that Skyler has the 'knowledge' that Walt spent the last of his money getting back to ABQ so that's something she probably told him whenever she goes through with the thing with the lottery ticket.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

They were looking for Jesse when they didn't have Walt. They have Walt, they have the Nazis, and they have the bodies of Hank and Gomez. Why would they spend additional man-hours tracking down someone who is most likely dead from their point of view? Remember they don't realize the extent of Walt and Jesse's partnership because Marie didn't know and the confession is gone.
I'm not talking about Walt and Jesse's partnership. They would absolutely want to at least question him concerning Hank and Gomez's deaths, if not suspect him of being involved. He was with them. It's unbelievable to me that they wouldn't. It's not like finding the bodies means the investigation is over.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 6, 2013

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That's true, what would make the investigation over would be finding the same weapons that were used to kill Hank and Gomez at the Nazi compound.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

2house2fly posted:

That's true, what would make the investigation over would be finding the same weapons that were used to kill Hank and Gomez at the Nazi compound.
No, because the extent of Jesse's involvement would still be unknown. If there's a chance that he's involved in the murders, why wouldn't they want to bring him in?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

A guy like Walter, if he existed in real life, would be like DB Cooper, Killdozer and every major US serial killer combined. There will probably be a federal taskforce investigating him for years to come and there will be amateur sleuths, writers, and documentary makers selling terrible mostly fictionalized accounts to the Discovery Channel in half hour installments. There is tremendous interest in the case.

Any decent investigation will realize that there is money missing. The man was a major meth kingpin for at least 2 years and the amount in the White's bank accounts and records from the car wash will show that they couldn't possibly have laundered that much cash. They know Madrigal was involved, and that the blue meth is appearing in Europe. It's a huge operation and they will realize there's a tonne of missing cash, even if Skylar never says a word about seeing 80 million in cash bundled up in a storage locker or that Walt directly told her when he visited her in the last episode that the Nazis stole 70 million (which she could do with impunity, her renegade husband admitting this during a home invasion wont get her in any more trouble). There are some serious loose ends that the feds will want to clear up.

And so to Jessie. It's known he was helping Hank and Gomie, it's on record he was picked up several times during the investigation into Heisenberg over the last 2 years. His body isn't in the ditch in the desert, and at the Nazi compound (which is going to be gone over with the finest of combs) there's this mysterious pit in the ground with a lock on it. Hmmm, and there's a few buckets, one for water, one for food and one with traces of human excrement in it. Well gently caress, who would the Nazis be keeping imprisoned down here? And why is there a picture of a recently murdered single mother and her child pinned up in the meth lab? Was she connected to any of the players in this game? And why aren't there any fingerprints matching Walter at the compound? And one of the Nazis has been choked to death, an able bodied young man no less. How would a 50+ man in the last stages of terminal lung cancer be able to do this to a healthy young man? Hey, let's shoot some of this still fresh bucket poop off to the lab. Oh? A 20 something caucasian male you say? Let's give Mr.Pinkmans parents a call.

Which is not to say they're going to find Jessie, but they are 100% looking for him. I know the cops in this show were portrayed as pretty incompetent but there is a boatload of physical evidence to suggest Jessie was imprisoned at the compound.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

Which is not to say they're going to find Jessie, but they are 100% looking for him. I know the cops in this show were portrayed as pretty incompetent but there is a boatload of physical evidence to suggest Jessie was imprisoned at the compound.

Exactly. I came here to post pretty much everything you said. Jesse's DNA and fingerprints are all over that lab. Why wouldn't they be looking for him? The story's over, yeah, but it's a fair bet that the cops will be after Jesse again (if they weren't already) and he's smart enough to know that they will be.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I guess I'm looking at it with a lot of cynicism. I remember when the DEA director zeroed out the budget to tail Mike because it wasn't getting them anywhere, and they had bigger fish to fry.

The media narrative surrounding this whole thing will be that THE meth kingpin was found dead in a super lab with dead Nazis, and the DEA agents bodies were finally recovered. No one will really care enough about Jesse to mount a large search, much less budget for it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Even looking at it cynically, I think it's reasonable to figure they'd prioritize finding someone who should be suspected of being involved in murdering two of their comrades.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
Jesse is going to get swept under the rug so the case is closed and ultimately a completely resolved triumph (or whatever) for the DEA. But the case would be huge. I like to think some true crime writer tracks Jesse down in his woodshop in Alaska 20 years down the road. Ok I know that's a little fan-fictiony but that's the first thing that popped into my head. Man I miss this show.

Lycus posted:

Even looking at it cynically, I think it's reasonable to figure they'd prioritize finding someone who should be suspected of being involved in murdering two of their comrades.

Why would Jesse be a suspect? Marie is the only one to tie Jesse to Hank and Gomie and she would have known how closely Jesse and Hank were working together and that he was on the major outs with Walt, who is the one presumed to have killed Hank and Gomie or at least ordered their deaths (remember the phone call?). Marie didn't know where Hank was or that he was with Jesse when he was killed, so I just can't see how the DEA would think that Jesse would have been involved in his murder. I think finding the bodies DOES mean the investigations over. Dead hank, dead gomie, Walt was working with the nazis who killed Hank and Gomie at what they presume were Walt's orders at the time because of the phone call he gave Skylar at the end of Ozymandius. The Nazis are dead, Walt is dead. Case closed.

I'm not saying people might not be looking for Jesse as it were, but it's just as plausible he'd be swept under the rug to give finality to the case.

BlackJosh fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 6, 2013

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

BlackJosh posted:

Jesse is going to get swept under the rug so the case is closed and ultimately a completely resolved triumph (or whatever) for the DEA. But the case would be huge. I like to think some true crime writer tracks Jesse down in his woodshop in Alaska 20 years down the road. Ok I know that's a little fan-fictiony but that's the first thing that popped into my head. Man I miss this show.

Why would Jesse be a suspect? Marie is the only one to tie Jesse to Hank and Gomie and she would have known how closely Jesse and Hank were working together and that he was on the major outs with Walt, who is the one presumed to have killed Hank and Gomie or at least ordered their deaths (remember the phone call?). Marie didn't know where Hank was or that he was with Jesse when he was killed, so I just can't see how the DEA would think that Jesse would have been involved in his murder. I think finding the bodies DOES mean the investigations over. Dead hank, dead gomie, Walt was working with the nazis who killed Hank and Gomie at what they presume were Walt's orders at the time because of the phone call he gave Skylar at the end of Ozymandius. The Nazis are dead, Walt is dead. Case closed.

I'm not saying people might not be looking for Jesse as it were, but it's just as plausible he'd be swept under the rug to give finality to the case.

Skylar can also tie Jessie to the Walter White investigation, she has 0 reason not to throw Jessie under the bus. That's two connections, plus the really obvious hints that there was someone being imprisoned in the compound and information concerning a large pile of missing money that Skylar can use as a bargaining chip to get her a better deal. The feds are going to be extremely interested in 70 million in seizable drug profits.

You could seriously do a post show mini-series if you wanted (even though I hope they don't). An intrepid young PI is on the hunt for Heisenbergs million's, and his only clue is evidence that a fugitive, long thought dead, is alive and well in the Alaskan wilderness! Coming to AMC in the fall of 2025!

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Nov 6, 2013

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
We don't really see a lot of the DEA side (at least not the people higher up than the branch office) but you do get the feeling it's like the Wire with the "don't go following up on leads, just have drugs on the table" attitude. And they have drugs on the table now.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

BlackJosh posted:

Marie knows that Jesse was with Hank and Gomez when they disappeared. Yes, I think that's enough to make him a suspect. Throw in Jesse and Hank's known antagonistic history for added fuel.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Lycus posted:

Marie knows that Jesse was with Hank and Gomez when they disappeared. Yes, I think that's enough to make him a suspect. Throw in Jesse and Hank's known antagonistic history for added fuel.

I guess. I still don't buy it in the world of Breaking Bad, but I honestly didn't take into account Jesse and Hank's prior history.

computer parts posted:

We don't really see a lot of the DEA side (at least not the people higher up than the branch office) but you do get the feeling it's like the Wire with the "don't go following up on leads, just have drugs on the table" attitude. And they have drugs on the table now.

Yeah. I think the way we do see the DEA is through Gus and that whole situation and it makes me think that they'd rather just brush loose ends under the rug than dog down every thread.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

A bunch of guys were murdered by a machine gun. There are empty cuffs on the scene and car tracks leaving the scene. They might want a little more information about what happened there. From the APD and DEA's perspective, there is still a potentially dangerous suspect on the loose.

They might not realize it's Jesse right away, but the pieces will start falling into place pretty quickly.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Jesse is a fugitive, anyways.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Last Chance posted:

Exactly. I came here to post pretty much everything you said. Jesse's DNA and fingerprints are all over that lab. Why wouldn't they be looking for him? The story's over, yeah, but it's a fair bet that the cops will be after Jesse again (if they weren't already) and he's smart enough to know that they will be.

To be fair, assuming the tape was destroyed, all they have on Jesse if you think about it is "Was an associate of Walter White, known as a history of being a meth cook and clearly was held against his will and forced to produce meth for the neo nazi gang after he attempted to help an FBI agent track him down."

Sure, they'll want to pick up Jesse. In fact, they almost positively will. But if you really, really stop to think about it - they have nothing on him that major, really. They can't even prove that he was cooking meth prior to his capture, technically. If the tape is still out there Jesse is screwed but if it's not, and he just shuts up, he might get some bullshit charges and maybe a few years.

Just saying that he's not necessarily wanted for life in prison or anything right now.

EDIT: In fun meth related stories a childhood... "friend" (I literally threw him out of the house through the door once, but my parents thought I should "get along with the neighborhood children") just got arrested for running a meth lab in his garage. He was trading meth for chemicals, to make more meth, with the goal of making it all for himself otherwise. It was so pathetic he got a five year probation instead of jail time.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Nov 6, 2013

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Yeah they may not be able to make a conviction stick on Jesse, their best hope is that the tremendous guilt Jessie feels causes him to crack during an interview.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
People seem to have put more thought into this than I have but I always kind of figured that the DEA were interested enough in Jesse that they may keep an eye out to see if his name pops up in an arrest somewhere so they can swoop in and pick him up, but that they aren't interested enough to pour money and manpower into a manhunt for him.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
His side of the story of what went down in the desert with Hank and Gomie's death as well as with Marie probably telling them about Jesse working to bring Walt down should be enough to help him out.

Though the interpretation was that he was long gone into the sunset. So none of that even matters.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Yeah it's all just speculation. Jessie could have run off the road and into a Roadrunner esque boulder after that final shot for all we know.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

drat this is some creepy music. It reminds me a lot of the soundtracks that Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross have made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqqSQfYk5BY

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Redundant posted:

People seem to have put more thought into this than I have but I always kind of figured that the DEA were interested enough in Jesse that they may keep an eye out to see if his name pops up in an arrest somewhere so they can swoop in and pick him up, but that they aren't interested enough to pour money and manpower into a manhunt for him.
Yeah, same. My perspective is kind of skewed by The Wire I guess, where what's important isn't catching bad guys but closing cases.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

2house2fly posted:

Yeah, same. My perspective is kind of skewed by The Wire I guess, where what's important isn't catching bad guys but closing cases.

I'm with you. I'm certain his name is flagged, at the very least, but I seriously doubt they would devote resources to actively looking for him.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Hi, poopsocker here. Loved the show, but...
How can anyone actually believe Walt is doing what he's doing for any reason other than pride after he turns down
1. A well-paying job where he'd actually be respected
and 2. Full payment for his chemo treatment
for no reason other than "I loving hate those guys and won't take their charity" even though both Elliot and Gretchen were shown to be super nice and awesome (Elliot genuinely appreciating Walt's gift of Ramen after getting a thousand dollar guitar comes to mind)? I get he had personal issues with them given his history with Gretchen and how that turned out but how the hell can you possibly justify choosing cooking meth over being a goddamned adult about things that happened 20+ years ago?
And for that matter, how the hell did Walt end up teaching loving high school? Why doesn't he teach at a university or work at a lab?

I only sperg about this because the show is so loving perfect about everything else but it feels like Walt was never Mr. Chips and was always a loving prideful rear end in a top hat who was a huge baby about not being The Big Man, and his cancer diagnosis was what made him stop pretending to be anything else.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I only sperg about this because the show is so loving perfect about everything else but it feels like Walt was never Mr. Chips and was always a loving prideful rear end in a top hat who was a huge baby about not being The Big Man, and his cancer diagnosis was what made him stop pretending to be anything else.

This is pretty much the point. Walt was always a prideful, manipulative rear end in a top hat. He abandoned gretchen and grey matter because he couldn't handle marrying into success. He needed everyone to know that he was the best from the start. The cancer diagnosis just made him decide to quit hiding it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Great Beer posted:

This is pretty much the point. Walt was always a prideful, manipulative rear end in a top hat. He abandoned gretchen and grey matter because he couldn't handle marrying into success. He needed everyone to know that he was the best from the start. The cancer diagnosis just made him decide to quit hiding it.
I guess then my question is: do I have a stick up my rear end, or is everyone who thought Walt was a good man after episode four either terrible at story comprehension or at morality?

• Locked thread