Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

paraquat posted:

Thanks for linking Dino's puda recipe, i gave it a try!
also with turmeric, scalions, ginger (and some chili powder, salt and LOTS of oil)

made mine too thick, which made folding no longer an option, so I will thin it down a bit more next time.
but it was delicious!

ate it with truffel(oil)-hummus, and roasted eggplant/red onions/red pepper and sun dried tomatoes on top

Awesome! A bit more water does look like a good idea but don't worry about the foldability. You'll only have earned the privilege of making it half-way through before it all falls apart. They're pretty poo poo wraps basically, I'm just glad I live alone so no one was there to see me eating like a hot sauce covered toddler.

I considered the experiment a success because it was delicious but uhh... V:shobon:V

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Casu Marzu posted:

4 pounds of pork adobo

What cut of pork do you use for that?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

cyberia posted:

What cut of pork do you use for that?

I used shoulder/butt. You can also do a really good adobo with pork belly that you braise, compress and chill, then slice and grill. :gizz:

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

PiratePing posted:

Awesome! A bit more water does look like a good idea but don't worry about the foldability. You'll only have earned the privilege of making it half-way through before it all falls apart. They're pretty poo poo wraps basically, I'm just glad I live alone so no one was there to see me eating like a hot sauce covered toddler.

I considered the experiment a success because it was delicious but uhh... V:shobon:V

That's good to know, thanks!
In that case my future puda's will be cute small rounds/pancakes instead of trying to fold one over.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
I burg'd.

1/2 pounder brisket and rump, with gouda, streaky bacon, sweet potato fries seasoned with sumac, and smoked garlic mayo.
(And a dram of Talisker 10 year.)

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Olpainless posted:

I burg'd.

1/2 pounder brisket and rump, with gouda, streaky bacon, sweet potato fries seasoned with sumac, and smoked garlic mayo.

Looks awesome!! What kind of bun is that? Is it ciabatta? I've tried to burg on ciabatta buns before but always found them too tough/chewy to really work well.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Olpainless posted:

I burg'd.

I am not a sweet potato lover, but that looks like the ultimate meal.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

The Midniter posted:

Looks awesome!! What kind of bun is that? Is it ciabatta? I've tried to burg on ciabatta buns before but always found them too tough/chewy to really work well.

Rustic-style bread - bit of crust on the outside but soft in the middle. Good burger bread.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Moey posted:

I am not a sweet potato lover, but that looks like the ultimate meal.

I tried sweet potato wedges for the first time tonight. They were OK, bit of S&P plus cinnamon and paprika.
It was a bit of an emergency meal, nothing left in the F/F but chicken (bought for pita salad wraps and I'm out of salad plus the weather turned cold), nothing in the pantry vegetable wise except sweet potato and onion.
So I did a honey mustard chicken with sweet potato wedges for some oven action.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
everyone needs to behold this amazing mint chocolate chip espresso cake my fiancee made for my birthday

she even used some of my home-made creme de menthe in the frosting! she's the best :)

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Laminator posted:

everyone needs to behold this amazing mint chocolate chip espresso cake my fiancee made for my birthday

she even used some of my home-made creme de menthe in the frosting! she's the best :)

That's........as festive as it can be,
and now I wish i could get a piece as well!
happy Birthday, btw ;-)

I had a salad of spinach, medjool dates, red onion, almonds, red pepper flakes, sumac, balsamic vinegar, evoo and salt
with baked potatoes covered in sesame seeds

it was great, but it wasn't a birthday cake.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Laminator posted:

I would probably sacrifice my guts for this and devour it.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Laminator posted:

I am beholding the hell out of that with hunger and jealousy in my eyes.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Attempted some Tarka Dal. I think next time I'm going to let the lentils get softer.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 7, 2015

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Elderbean posted:

Attempted some Tarka Dal. I think next time I'm going to let the lentils get softer.

Welp, I know what I'm having for lunch!

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Laminator posted:

I wanna motor boat that cake so bad

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Pork shoulder adobo with coconut milk and whole roasted garlic cloves. Copying casu_marzu

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

feelz good man posted:

Pork shoulder adobo with coconut milk and whole roasted garlic cloves. Copying casu_marzu

:wtf: I don't have a underscore in my name and where the gently caress are your usual plates

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

feelz good man posted:

Recipe or I might cry

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Echeveria posted:

Recipe or I might cry
Sear some pork shoulder chunks in a real hot rear end pan with plenty of oil. It will spatter, so do it outside if possible or with a good hood vent. Add in some onion and ginger if you have it, then add in roasted whole garlic cloves, some roughly cracked peppercorns, bay leaves, a big glug each of vinegar and soy, some salt, then a can of coconut milk and a few bay leaves. Just let it simmer for like an hour or two until the pork is fork tender.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I like a lot of vinegar in mine, so lately I've been doing 2:1:1 rice vinegar:soy sauce:water

Also I don't bother roasting my garlic cloves. I jsut kinda smash em a bit and toss em in raw and pretty much whole.

Also also, make sure you make a lot of sauce. That's the best part of adobo and I could eat just that over rice or steamed veg.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Casu Marzu posted:

:wtf: I don't have a underscore in my name and where the gently caress are your usual plates

21:08 casu_marzu ARRRR

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

feelz good man posted:

21:08 casu_marzu ARRRR

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Jumping on the pork adobo train:

I cooked the sauce down until it was thick and sticky and it was so good. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go into a food coma for a few hours.

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011
Adobo is the best, so simple and so delicious.

Any favorites for vinegar or do they not make too much of a difference? I've used rice and apple cider, and I might like acv better for reasons I don't really know.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Are you people making your adobo from scratch or buying it? I can't find it without chipotle peppers inside it, and can't find chipotle peppers by their lonesome. I guess I should hit up a proper market and not a grocery store.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Ra-amun posted:

Adobo is the best, so simple and so delicious.

Any favorites for vinegar or do they not make too much of a difference? I've used rice and apple cider, and I might like acv better for reasons I don't really know.

Cane vinegar is traditional I believe, but I've used pretty much all of em.

VelociBacon posted:

Are you people making your adobo from scratch or buying it? I can't find it without chipotle peppers inside it, and can't find chipotle peppers by their lonesome. I guess I should hit up a proper market and not a grocery store.

Wrong adobo. That's Spanish/American style adobo you're talking about. We're eatin Filipino adobo, which at its base is just soy sauce and vinegar.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

VelociBacon posted:

If you're ever looking for chipotles in the future, look for them canned. They're just smoked jalapeņos, so you won't find them fresh. Sorry if you already knew this - I didn't until I was shopping for them one day myself.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

If you're ever looking for chipotles in the future, look for them canned. They're just smoked jalapeņos, so you won't find them fresh. Sorry if you already knew this - I didn't until I was shopping for them one day myself.

I didn't know this (or that there were different adobo's - thanks casu). I could ONLY find them canned, I suppose that makes sense if they're smoked jalapenos. I would like to blame my not being exposed as much to that stuff here in Canada for my ignorance on the matter.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

Made some French toast using brioche croissants instead of bread. Covered that all maple syrup and bacon. It was good.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Tachin, muhammara, garlic/sumac flatbread, quick pickles. Never made tachin before, def will again. Everybody loves crunchy rice, man.

Also made choc and vanilla macarons.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Is tachin like tahdig? Looks awesome. I loooooove crispy rice!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

angor posted:

Is tachin like tahdig? Looks awesome. I loooooove crispy rice!

Yeah. You want a good tahdig on your tachin. :v:

It's pretty much the same idea, but specifically always with saffron and then layered with chicken and onions in the middle.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

I didn't know this (or that there were different adobo's - thanks casu). I could ONLY find them canned, I suppose that makes sense if they're smoked jalapenos. I would like to blame my not being exposed as much to that stuff here in Canada for my ignorance on the matter.

I love this confusion because two of the first dishes my girlfriend ever taught me to cook were chicken adobo (Filipino version) and chicken tinga (mexican style with chipotles in Adobo and chorizo). I had the same learning moment, except I respond to confusion with anger and was pissed she expected me to make a whole dish of adobo just to use a table spoon of and one or two peppers.

Oh also only using a tablespoon of the sauce and one or two peppers is for wimps, throw the whole drat can in there imo

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

KettleWL posted:

Oh also only using a tablespoon of the sauce and one or two peppers is for wimps, throw the whole drat can in there imo

I find it gets too smokey, and kills other flavors, but that could have been the brand I've been buying. Safeway started carrying a different brand and I picked one up last week, so I'll give it a whirl soon.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it
Not finished yet, but here's a couple nice thick cut beef shanks I rescued from the markdown bin. Spicy porter and honeyed dijon sauce with caramelized onions

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
With Mother's Day around the corner, I was thinking of baking a pecan pie for my mother when she comes home tomorrow evening. She loves pecan pies, but the contemporary one is "thin layer of pecans on top and diabetic horror of corn syrup glop below" and she hates that, preferring way more nuts and way less (read: no) corn syrup. My good-sized food processor is broken and I wasn't feeling up to burning five hours to slap in a crust, let alone without a processor, so I bought pie crusts.

I used Keebler's graham cracker crusts for this. Bought two; one was to identify any serious, pie-destroying fuckups I'd be making because boy howdy, I can still hear :ramsay: in my head even now and undoubtedly some of you will be doing that too by the time you finish reading this.

My draft frankenpie, prior to baking. I used walnuts as well as pecans, because well, why the hell not. In fact, "why the hell not" was pretty much the MO of the making, because since I have two crusts I may as well go upside bonkers with the experimentation. I think the only thing I definitively measured was the half cup of granulated sugar and one large egg. :v:

The rest went something like this:

:pseudo:: poo poo, no brown sugar? Well, gently caress it, have some molasses. I wonder how much...? Well, I'll just squeeze this much in and hope that's enough.
:pseudo:: Butter and margarine in those tiny fast food plastic packets? I should still have some but--aw, nuts, it's garlic butter; can't have a good pie with that. Well, I'll just get a packet of butter and margarine, melt those...and toss in a spoonful of "natural" peanut butter in the main bowl. PB is still butter, right? It's even in the name! :v:
:pseudo:: Hmm, I'm trying to cut back on my cholesterol. Might sub in liquid egg whites instead of using another egg. How did it go, again? Three tablespoons and two teaspoons per egg replaced? And where are my measuring spoons? Bah, glug some in and hope for the best.
:pseudo:: I should use a different flour instead of all-purpose. Ooh, there's some pancake flour mix here! Let's use some! Measurements? I can eyeball it!
:pseudo:: Well, poo poo, this stuff's not mixing. It's cold...oh, heat! Let me turn on my stovetop and set up a platform here...

You get the gist. The picture doesn't look quite as benign with that knowledge in mind, doesn't it? :cripes:

During the fifty-minute bake, it puffed up most alarmingly; probably the pancake flour mix. I find it appropriate that the oven lights reminded me of glowing eyes from hell.

Recently out of the oven, give or take some minutes. It eventually depuffed to a more reasonable level, but sweet crispy cricket bats was I surprised at how crackly the top was. Probably the egg whites.

And the taste?

HOLY FLYING gently caress IT TASTES SO DELICIOUS! :woop:

...Though I should dial down on the molasses. It was at the forefront alongside the peanut butter and pecans, especially in the softer, chewier parts. But goddamn I am so pleasantly surprised. I now know what to do for the final copy. :toot:

Pooncha fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 10, 2015

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
:siren: It is asparagus season, stuff as many in your mouth as possible :siren:

Grilled spergs and sweet potato, lemon-yoghurt mayo and eggs

Crunchy sperg salad with spinach, strawberries, parmesan cheese, roasted sunflower seeds and balsamic reduction. :allears:

Also a lazy dinner: tempeh, white cabbage and onions with ketjap manis and sesame oil

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I know it's May, but gently caress it, we wanted latkes. I made those, girlfriend whipped up some homemade applesauce:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

guppy posted:

I know it's May, but gently caress it, we wanted latkes. I made those, girlfriend whipped up some homemade applesauce:

Those look delicious.

• Locked thread