Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Mr. Wookums posted:

Just picked this up, what's the best melee class?

blade dancer hunter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

SHODAN Processing Component 43893

SubponticatePoster posted:

I would just like to complain that the RNG loving hates me. I have yet to receive a single purple drop. Farmed for a couple of hours last night to turn my brain off and while I got fuckall, another guy there got 3 legendaries.

gently caress you RNG :argh:

I highly suggest you read through the thread. Farming drops is likely the worst way to obtain legendaries.

PvP, Vanguard rep, doing the daily quests and heroics.

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

SHODAN Processing Component 43893

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

blade dancer hunter

No way. Bubble defense punch fest.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Anasurimbur posted:

No way. Bubble defense punch fest.

No way. Defender only works on someone once. Bladedancer is about a 98% chance of murder-fest.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

God drat the Bad Juju is a hell of a cool looking gun. Who doesn't love flaming green skulls and spines decorating your manshooter. Plus it matches my shader now too!

Ugh that's some compression right there.

The Natch
Feb 16, 2011

oh man i love me some nachos
I need to do the final step of the thorn bounty, so if anyone could help i'll be on from about 10 GMT on ps4, username Nacho1103, thanks goons.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Do the daily/weekly strikes scale with party members? Can a two man squad do them?

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

xxEightxx posted:

Do the daily/weekly strikes scale with party members? Can a two man squad do them?

Yeah they do scale. I've 2 manned most of mine with a friend.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

blade dancer hunter
Can you build hunters to not use sniper rifles?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Mr. Wookums posted:

Weapons don't matter, every class uses them all equally proficiently. The thing that separates the classes are their three abilities; melee, grenade and super. They also have a unique piece of entirely cosmetic armour each that makes no difference to stats or gameplay.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There are virtually no class/weapon synergies in Destiny, your Hunter can use whatever you want.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

efb

Mr. Wookums posted:

Er, no class is tied to any specific weapon as far as I know?

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Sonj posted:

Yeah, Phogoth is one nasty bitch. Thanks for sticking it out guys.

Forget Phogoth, those loving wizards were the real bosses.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
Yeah, I tried doing the Weekly solo one time and quit right about when I got mobbed by indestructible Wizards who could kill me instantly.

My Legendary Solar Shotgun still needed a full clip to down those shields the fuckers.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Purples giving -40% chance of a purple is a bizarre design decision.

I prefer the farming on earth near skywatch now if I gotta get ready for work or Whatevs. If you take the mission at sky watch it'll drop you off right there once you start it. Very easy to do for 10 20 min while I'm cooking or before work

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Congratulations Destiny thread! You've been around for a month and a week, and you just passed the 9 month old Battlefield 4 thread in posts. :hfive:

Also, I learned how to be a much better PvP player last night: use nothing but Fusion Rifle.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Lumpy posted:

Congratulations Destiny thread! You've been around for a month and a week, and you just passed the 9 month old Battlefield 4 thread in posts. :hfive:

Also, I learned how to be a much better PvP player last night: use nothing but Fusion Rifle.

Man I thought it was just me. Fusion rifle is really drat good.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Utgardaloki posted:

Yeah, I tried doing the Weekly solo one time and quit right about when I got mobbed by indestructible Wizards who could kill me instantly.

My Legendary Solar Shotgun still needed a full clip to down those shields the fuckers.

A single shot from a solar fusion rifle (assuming it's a blue level 20 with 242 attack) will kill the wizard's shields completely, even at medium range. Shotguns' damage falls off dramatically past spitting distance.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Lumpy posted:

Let's celebrate with a look at the top posters.

:lol: Jesus christ.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I finally have time to play today and I'm tired of being put into games where people wander around aimlessly. If anyone wants to do story mission stuff with a level 7 newb I am Ehud1513 on PSN.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Vintersorg posted:

Lol look at all these nerds, I bet they all have full legendaries too

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Does the Sunslinger's super ever get good? I mean, I can throw a lot of grenades I guess, but it doesn't feel like it does much. It just doesn't feel as fun to level as the Voidwalker.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Mr. Wookums posted:

Just picked this up, what's the best melee class?

Titan. Don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise. Sure, hunters have an ability that lets them turn into a super hero with a knife for a little bit. But can a Hunter create an impenetrable arena for willing warriors to enter and prove their worth? Titans can. It's called Ward of Dawn and once it's up, nothing enters but fighters wanting to prove that they are the greatest melee combatant. But they are stepping into your realm, where you are the reigning champion. What chance do you have against someone that hits harder and has twice the shield? What can you do against someone who gets stronger when they kill? He's the Defender Titan and you don't stand a chance against him.

What's that? Don't like Defender? Well let me tell you about the Defender Titan's crazy cousin, the Striker Titan, and a little something called Shoulder Charge. The Striker Titan can tackle people so hard that they die. They literally die. And if he happens to be flying through the air on his jet pack then he just knees them in the face and they also just die. The Striker Titan is basically the Juggernaut. Once he gets moving, nothing can stop him.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Strawberry Panda posted:

I just hit 26 today. Add me too. I'm EST.

I would, but it looks like you're PSN. I'm Xbone. :(

Woodhouse
Aug 1, 2010

Tell me, Aldo, if I were sitting where you're sitting, would you show me mercy?

ShowTime posted:

Titan. Don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise. Sure, hunters have an ability that lets them turn into a super hero with a knife for a little bit. But can a Hunter create an impenetrable arena for willing warriors to enter and prove their worth? Titans can. It's called Ward of Dawn and once it's up, nothing enters but fighters wanting to prove that they are the greatest melee combatant. But they are stepping into your realm, where you are the reigning champion. What chance do you have against someone that hits harder and has twice the shield? What can you do against someone who gets stronger when they kill? He's the Defender Titan and you don't stand a chance against him.

What's that? Don't like Defender? Well let me tell you about the Defender Titan's crazy cousin, the Striker Titan, and a little something called Shoulder Charge. The Striker Titan can tackle people so hard that they die. They literally die. And if he happens to be flying through the air on his jet pack then he just knees them in the face and they also just die. The Striker Titan is basically the Juggernaut. Once he gets moving, nothing can stop him.

This is the most amazing description for a Titan I've ever come across and should be in the OP.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

I made the list! Too bad I post from work too much and don't have much actual time to play. :smith:

Kifisonfire posted:

Does the Sunslinger's super ever get good? I mean, I can throw a lot of grenades I guess, but it doesn't feel like it does much. It just doesn't feel as fun to level as the Voidwalker.

Once you get the Flame Shield upgrade to Scorch, you can keep yourself shielded and essentially run around as a grenade storm. Plus, your grenade and melee cooldowns while in Radiance are still affected by Discipline and Strength, so if you have high enough Discipline you'll probably have another grenade recharged by the time you've finished throwing one. And the Fireborn upgrade lets you come back from the dead as long as your super was charged when you died (and promptly begin flinging grenades everywhere as revenge).

For extra PvE fun, every kill you make while in Radiance generates an Orb of Light for your teammates.

Voidwalker's Nova Bomb is a great one-off explosion ability, and I still play Voidwalker from time to time, but Sunsinger is really, really wonderful too.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

ShowTime posted:

This really makes me want to play Titan, but their class item is a dishcloth so I think I'll stick with my Hunter.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Broseph Brostar posted:

Lol look at all these nerds, I bet they all have full legendaries too

I do

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Woodhouse posted:

This is the most amazing description for a Titan I've ever come across and should be in the OP.

:eyepop:

Wow, I know what class I'm playing next for my inevitable altitis affliction.

bigass jncos
Dec 3, 2007

Ridin' on a Mershaq back.

Linx posted:

This really makes me want to play Titan, but their class item is a dishcloth so I think I'll stick with my Hunter.

The exotic class item for titans should be a letterman jacket.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

ShowTime posted:

Once he gets moving, nothing can stop him.
While I wish this was true, the shotgun exists, and pretty much everyone is carrying one in pvp now (heck I've run into a guy carrying TWO)

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

DrNutt posted:

Try upwards of a month, more like. Rockstar had no idea what the gently caress they were doing and drove all but the tryhards away. So, I guess they probably saved a lot of money on servers when all was said and done! gently caress them for that lovely launch. Destiny might not be perfect but they will always have my respect for the way they treat their fans and the way they handled this launch.

Also, I never got around to posting any neat pics from the launch event in Bellevue because I just had my lovely camera phone and most of them didn't turn out. But here's my loot from the event. I guess you could say the RNG gods didn't fail me that day, since I was #332 in line and still got to tour Bungie. :smug:

Got a couple of nice t-shirts also, including one shot from a t-shirt cannon that hit me square in the back.

Yeah, the shirts are pretty nice

I ended up getting 2 copies and was number 221 and 222 with a friend. So now I have 4 copies of the game because I preordered the white console and bought the digital guardian edition. I really don't know what to do with all the copies of the game and the PS4 is pretty frustrating if you used a disc copy before you download your digital edition.

I ended up with Disc number 28 and 256, I tried to haggle the Bungie dude to give me #13 but he didn't let me, too bad, so sad.

Luccion
Jun 14, 2008

ShowTime posted:

Except a shotgun...

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Question: So level cap is sorta 20 (not really but ok) does this mean that at level 20 I can no longer upgrade my second subclass? So like if I had a void walker can I not upgrade Sunsinger once I reach 20? I'm just asking because I am uncertain how it all works since the soft level cap thing is new to me.

Edit: I am aware this is a dumb question. I just want to know the mechanics since I can't find an explanation out there at the moment.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ShowTime posted:

Because you can't shoot out of the Ward of Dawn, that means anyone running towards you knows you can't shoot them without stepping out. If that person running towards you is a Striker Titan with a charged-up super, well, you're about to get disintegrated.

Ward of Dawn's a little weird. It's awesome as deployable cover in PvE, but in PvP it just makes you a huge target for any Striker Titan or Voidwalker Warlock with their super charged, because the bubble doesn't do a drat thing against those.

ZeusCannon posted:

Question: So level cap is sorta 20 (not really but ok) does this mean that at level 20 I can no longer upgrade my second subclass? So like if I had a void walker can I not upgrade Sunsinger once I reach 20? I'm just asking because I am uncertain how it all works since the soft level cap thing is new to me.

Subclasses actually work like equipment. Your weapons and armor level up as you gain experience and you can upgrade them--your subclass is the same way. It just so happens that if you never change your subclass, your first 19 upgrades will correspond with your character level-ups, but your subclass can gain experience and "level up" even if your character doesn't. Even hitting level 20 isn't enough to max out a single subclass.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

ZeusCannon posted:

No, subclasses are like items, they keep getting exp regardless of level.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ShowTime posted:

Sold.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

BabelFish posted:

No, subclasses are like items, they keep getting exp regardless of level.

Thanks I figured as much but its good to have confirmation.

Edit: In PVP I didn't realize you could be shoulder charged for a long time. I just figured Titan players were kinda dumb, why else would they charge a shotgun without firing?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Harrow posted:

Because you can't shoot out of the Ward of Dawn, that means anyone running towards you knows you can't shoot them without stepping out. If that person running towards you is a Striker Titan with a charged-up super, well, you're about to get disintegrated.

This is true. Let it be known that the only thing that can beat a Titan is another Titan.

Edit: Also, Shotguns really hurt yea, but I mostly blame that on poor netcode. Everyone that shotguns me when charging at least trades with me. For some reason my first always lands after the shotgun shell. I guess the Titan is just moving so fast even his lifeless body is enough to kill someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Linx posted:

They are all wrong. You should play a Warlock. You get to wear a dress and throw purple space wizard energy at people so hard they loving disintegrate.

• Locked thread