Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

bowmore posted:

Yeah I have no issue with that. It's just the people who buy records because they think they are rare or can resell them later and don't even play them that annoy me.

But buying them because they're rare and buying them for the sole purpose of reselling them aren't necessarily the same thing. Some people truly enjoy owning rarities without thinking of them purely as investments. I totally understand the pride of owning something that's hard to find and highly sought after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Owning rare records is awesome, and buying them before they cost a fortune is the best. Selling them later to someone for top dollar because they have more money than music savvy is pretty sweet too.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Star Man posted:

Aw yeah, poo poo's about to get real. And I got my first ever turntable just in time for Record Store Day.

Which model is this?

Pookdaddy G
Jun 13, 2007

caiman posted:

Which model is this?

Looks like an AT-120 to me.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Pookdaddy G posted:

Looks like an AT-120 to me.

Yeah basically a 1200 clone. Weird every time I see one.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

caiman posted:

Which model is this?

AT LP120 USB. I didn't come to this thread to make any consultations before I got that in Amazon for $229 (retail is $300). I picked that turntable because it has a built-in preamp and USB interface. I don't have anything more than my $20 Sony headphones and lovely computer speakers to use with it. I want to get a pair of studio monitors or some kind of set of decent speakers for it. Baby steps.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

Ras Het posted:

Here's the unlistenable Doors records and Flaming Lips reissues I've bought lately:

gently caress yes, this is the Best Post. Is that Terveet Kadet original? guessing it's the repress just judging by the shininess but that poo poo rips.

edit: my sears order came in:

kirkjames fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 15, 2014

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

kirkjames posted:

gently caress yes, this is the Best Post. Is that Terveet Kadet original? guessing it's the repress just judging by the shininess but that poo poo rips.

Lol yeah no, that's Svart's reissue from a couple of years back. I wish there was like a one-sided 10" of it so I could have the whole glorious five minutes of it on repeat.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Is this a safe space to post about punk records?

New YAITW is up for pre-order http://store.deathwishinc.com/product/DW159v.html

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

alg posted:

Is this a safe space to post about punk records?

New YAITW is up for pre-order http://store.deathwishinc.com/product/DW159v.html

Only if you're extremely condescending towards other posters who don't listen to the same stuff you do.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Star Man posted:

AT LP120 USB. I didn't come to this thread to make any consultations before I got that in Amazon for $229 (retail is $300). I picked that turntable because it has a built-in preamp and USB interface. I don't have anything more than my $20 Sony headphones and lovely computer speakers to use with it. I want to get a pair of studio monitors or some kind of set of decent speakers for it. Baby steps.

Is it as sleek and heavy duty as it looks? I have the SONY LX250H (which has a built in pre-amp but no USB interface) and it has served me well for my casual listening over the last 5 years, but the drawback is it looks and feels like it's made by Fisher Price. That AT, on the other hand, looks sweet.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

CPL593H posted:

Only if you're extremely condescending towards other posters who don't listen to the same stuff you do.

maybe you can toss these in with your next order

http://www.sears.com/baby-feeding-bottles/b-1020382

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Had a couple record orders come in today.

Ordered two records from Amazon a few nights ago while I was drunk (and forgot about doing it)

The records were each in individual record mailers (the ones that'll hold like 3-4 LPs normally, the thick cardboard ones) which were then placed together into a box that was like 1.5'x3'. Some really inefficient packing there.

e: also I just got a shipping notice from Best Buy, I guess one of the records I bought during the sale was on back-order or something and I didn't notice. That's a nice little surprise.

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CANNONBALL TAFFY O' JONES!!!
Bugger, this is the price I pay for buying cheaper records from Japan on impulse.

However, I still think it was probably worth it.

Tomorrow: the record itself!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That must've come in at quite a cost regardless? Whenever I get import duty, it's usually just that bloody £8 charge and maybe £2-3 on top.

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CANNONBALL TAFFY O' JONES!!!

EL BROMANCE posted:

That must've come in at quite a cost regardless? Whenever I get import duty, it's usually just that bloody £8 charge and maybe £2-3 on top.

It wasn't too bad, the record was about £35 with an £8 delivery charge, which still beats the £90+ before delivery it's going for over here.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

caiman posted:

Is it as sleek and heavy duty as it looks? I have the SONY LX250H (which has a built in pre-amp but no USB interface) and it has served me well for my casual listening over the last 5 years, but the drawback is it looks and feels like it's made by Fisher Price. That AT, on the other hand, looks sweet.

I'll have an answer for that later today after I go visit Twist & Shout and Wax Trax here in Denver today. I don't have any LPs at the moment and I had to go to work for the night after I set the turntable up. I guess that the LP 120 can come in black. Audio Technica didn't have it available on their website and I only saw a few on Amazon, but didn't want to pay $30 more for one. It is a heavy piece of equipment.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Had another good trash pickin' day. Got a 71' Revolver reissue (stereo), record is gorgeous, shiny and nice, cover got ...modified a little by a green marker. Beatles '65, nice shape. Double Fantasy that looks almost NM. Springsteen live boxed set. A Madman Across The Water, Tumbleweed Connection and Honky Chateau that are all in better shape than my current copies. Bunch of Sinatra including a nice Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim. All a buck each, including the 5 lp boxed set.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

BigFactory posted:

Double Fantasy

That was the first CD I was given when I was 15. I love me some John Lennon, but the Yoko tracks are... :smithicide:

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

Star Man posted:

I want to get a pair of studio monitors or some kind of set of decent speakers for it. Baby steps.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/a-great-bookshelf-speaker/

And, why not?
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-turntable/

You can actually scratch with that model, though I'm sure the thought would make nearly everyone in this thread's skin crawl, you big whiney babies you.

DammitJanet fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 15, 2014

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

What good are records if you're not going to complain about every aspect of owning and obtaining them?

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

CPL593H posted:

What good are records if you're not going to complain about every aspect of owning and obtaining them?

Great box set design, assholes.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

JehovahsWetness posted:

hahaha noooooo

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

JehovahsWetness posted:

That's pretty hilarious.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
In Rainbows is the same way. Doesn't fit in an expedit.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

DammitJanet posted:

You can actually scratch with that model, though I'm sure the thought would make nearly everyone in this thread's skin crawl, you big whiney babies you.

What's the point of owning a turntable if you can't throw in a little wicky-wicky here and there?

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
That's why I like having the lid mounted linear tracker in the lounge room. Whenever someone decides they want to me Mix-Master Shithead it's fun to see them sneakily lift up the lid only to have the music cut out completely.

:getout:

Assholes trying to ruin my battle record listening enjoyment.

AWW YEAH

CHECK THIS OUT

FRESSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

JehovahsWetness posted:

:owned:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Babby's first haul. All poo poo I have had on CD for years, but I gotta start somewhere don't judge me

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

The best kind of sex is VHS.

Star Man posted:

Babby's first haul. All poo poo I have had on CD for years, but I gotta start somewhere don't judge me

I judged you before I even saw what you typed sorry.

Wait, where did you get those? Cradle of Filth's first album is $20 online.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

3dou posted:

I judged you before I even saw what you typed sorry.

Wait, where did you get those? Cradle of Filth's first album is $20 online.

I got the Cradle at Tradesmart/Hastings. I held off on the other two until I went to Wax Trax and Twist & Shout here in Denver and they undercut them by like five dollars. I got Octavarium for $32 instead of $40.

Lesson learned is that I don't go to Hastings anymore.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
the road to enlightenment is paved with lessons

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

caiman posted:

I have one of those and it's sturdy and heavy duty as hell. Like murder a vagrant heavy and sturdy, I would not want to be bonked on the head with an AT-120. I've had mine 2-3 years at this point and have not had a single issue with it aside from replacing the record mat right away (felt is gross, rubber mats for life.) not so sure about sleek though, it looks sweet from the top down but it's a fairly tall piece of equipment. I have an older pioneer sitting around that needs work that is maybe half the height of the AT-120.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

My dad sold about 2000 records to Hastings for 50 cents each. They were all decent titles but when I go to my local Hastings they have like ten used records, and they're all terrible 50s stuff that they're selling for 99 cents. The selection literally looks like they took a random sample of a Goodwill bin. I keep wondering where my dad's records ended up.

edit: but yeah, Hastings has pretty terrible prices on records. They're the only place in my town except Hot Topic that sells new vinyl so people still buy from them, but I've always been able to find things cheaper online.

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

The best kind of sex is VHS.

Star Man posted:

I got the Cradle at Tradesmart/Hastings. I held off on the other two until I went to Wax Trax and Twist & Shout here in Denver and they undercut them by like five dollars. I got Octavarium for $32 instead of $40.

Lesson learned is that I don't go to Hastings anymore.

Yeah dude, support your local record store.
Unless they suck. Or if you don't have one.
In which case, get 'em online. Discogs is your best bet, though sometimes the bands themselves sell 'em off their website.

wa27 posted:

My dad sold about 2000 records to Hastings for 50 cents each. They were all decent titles but when I go to my local Hastings they have like ten used records, and they're all terrible 50s stuff that they're selling for 99 cents. The selection literally looks like they took a random sample of a Goodwill bin. I keep wondering where my dad's records ended up.

edit: but yeah, Hastings has pretty terrible prices on records. They're the only place in my town except Hot Topic that sells new vinyl so people still buy from them, but I've always been able to find things cheaper online.
Didn't even know what a Hastings was. I live in Cali, so yeah.
To be fair, a lot of records from the 60's 'n what-not are pretty worthless anyway, because there's so many of them. I bought a god drat 3xLP of Sinatra for $1 for gently caress's sake.

Also, wish me luck.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.
Finally got around to making a list of my records so I don't buy the same thing twice at some point. A bit surprised to find that I own 92 records (not including 45's). Not bad (on my wallet) for only being back into collecting since 2011.

I guess I could get on discogs and see how much it's all worth, but... :effort:

Also, their site design is garbage. White backgrounds are for philistines.

DammitJanet fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 16, 2014

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

DammitJanet posted:

Finally got around to making a list of my records so I don't buy the same thing twice at some point. A bit surprised to find that I own 92 records (not including 45's). Not bad (on my wallet) for only being back into collecting since 2011.

I guess I could get on discogs and see how much it's all worth, but... :effort:

Also, their site design is garbage. White backgrounds are for philistines.

I always found discogs site to be a pleasure to use. Figuring out how to add releases took a little getting used to though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

b0red posted:

I always found discogs site to be a pleasure to use. Figuring out how to add releases took a little getting used to though.

It scratches an OCD itch for sure.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Speaking of Discogs, what's the best way to spot a first pressing? I know you can look for a particular catalog number on the release year, but even then there are usually multiple variations. Sometimes the notes specify "original" but not always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

b0red posted:

Their search algorithm is terrible. Say I want to find the artist page for The Knack. I type The Knack into the search bar and press enter. This is what I see:

First of all, 95% of the people searching for The Knack are going to be looking for the artist, so why does all this stuff take precedent in the list? The second release is a digital download that a grand total of 2 people say they own.

But no problem, I'll just click over to the Artist tab:

Let's see... "Hero The Knack", that's not it. Must be one of the 7(!) "Knack, The" listings. Number 3 is the one I (and almost every other person) cares about. Now why is that listing not first? If not in the "All" results, then at least in the artist results. Hero The Knack has one song on one compilation album that one person on discogs owns. I'm not going to complain about them being The Knack (3) because I'm sure that's a limitation of their database, but that doesn't mean they need to be the fourth one in the list. They have a ton of ways to measure the popularity of a release or artist (number owned, page traffic, number of releases, marketplace listings) so why doesn't their search take that into account?

I recently entered about 400 records into discogs and it wasn't too bad because you can just enter the catalog number and usually go straight to the release. It was always a pain the rear end to find an album if I couldn't read the cat number, though. I know improving the search isn't exactly trivial, but discogs is a great site and that is the only thing about it that annoys me to no end.